PDA

View Full Version : inconsistent stringing machine

newbie123
04-21-2004, 10:15 PM
My Eagnas Hawk 800(i believe) seems to be pretty inconsistent in terms of achieving the correct tension. There are certain times where I clearly cranked the hand crank farther and the strings tight up more than the other strings....I do one piece stringing only though. Will the inconsistency in the stringbed affect the way the racquet plays or where the sweetspot is? Or will the strings be able to even out after a period of time?

Gaines Hillix
04-22-2004, 01:37 PM
This may not be a problem. If you experience more elongation on the longer strings, that is normal. However, if there is no pattern to it, then it sounds like there is something wrong and yes, an inconsistent stringbed can cause the ball to come off the racquet unpredicably.

Smashlob
04-22-2004, 06:39 PM
The distance cranking does not neccessarily mean that you are pulling the wrong tension.

For example, I have a hand-crank Gamma 6004, if there is a little 'extra' string between the grommet and the tensioner, then it has to pull that to 60 lbs as well.

Bottom line: If you have a calibrator and it checks out, don't worry so much about it.

passerofgasses
04-23-2004, 09:24 PM
the strings tight up more than the other strings....

I've seen the eagnas hand crank, but not in action. The crank pulls from the grommet of the racket straight to the linear ball bearing gripper. There is no roller part in between to hold the string up at the same level like I've seen from pictures of other company's cranks. Where you put the string into the jaws of the gripper affects how far up or down the string is in it, and although it may only be a difference of a 1/4" or so, the crank's tension depends completely on a lever effect against a spring, and there's only a few inches of lever there (I forget how much exactly). Being further away or closer to the fulcrum can greatly affect the force exerted to engage the brake (further=more force=earlier lockout=less tension).

This might be pure speculation, so if you do have a tensioner, test it out. I would discourage putting the string in the gripper outside of the two (four if you count both sides) rows of ball bearings though. I personally would rest the string right on the metal bars you see when you peer straight down into the gripper so that you always have a consistent height to pull with, but with differing angles to the racket as you move about the frame, it seems like something to be viligant about.