PDA

View Full Version : Is Creatine legal in ATP or WTA?

TBrady
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
What about any other supplements? I know they are tested constantly but what supplements are legal to be in your system?

Mansewerz
01-28-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm sure if you can buy it at most health stores, especially GNC, it's okay for the ATP Tour. I know this is a blanket statement, as in you can sometimes buy M-drol at health stores, but creatine is quite common

Consolation
01-28-2011, 07:06 PM
What about any other supplements? I know they are tested constantly but what supplements are legal to be in your system?

Creatine is legal.

Here's USADA list, which follows IOC and international lists:

http://www.usada.org/uploads/2011-full-prohibited-list.pdf

armsty
01-28-2011, 07:21 PM
It's produced naturally in your body as well you realise?

kishnabe
01-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Creatine is useful in post recovery for tennis...since the anaroebic system is mostly used in tennis. Phospho-Creatine needs to get power maintenance! I used with with some Water and Fruit Smoothee during my matches. Able to play better!

I do think that ATP players use....the ones with those special drinks...I won't be suprised if Creatine is in it!

armsty
01-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Creatine is useful in post recovery for tennis...since the anaroebic system is mostly used in tennis. Phospho-Creatine needs to get power maintenance! I used with with some Water and Fruit Smoothee during my matches. Able to play better!

I do think that ATP players use....the ones with those special drinks...I won't be suprised if Creatine is in it!
I usually mix in a teaspoon to my water/gatorade when I play matches as well. Not sure if it helps a great deal but my brother moved away and left 500g of it haha

Pwned
01-28-2011, 08:36 PM
It's in meat so I would think so.

Devilito
01-28-2011, 09:53 PM
it's illegal along with protein. Don't take it unless you want your balls to grow the size of watermellons

chay337
01-29-2011, 10:08 AM

So is test.

TBrady
02-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Creatine is legal.

Hey thanks for the list. Interesting to see ephedrine on the list. I guess they just have to tuff out colds or take something else.

li0scc0
02-01-2011, 06:18 AM
Ephedrine is performance enhancing ... and is also extremely dangerous. Hence why it makes the list.
Creatine is very safe, and I cannot see it ever getting banned.

TBrady
02-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Pseudoephedrine is in many cold medicines. Isn't that the same thing?

li0scc0
02-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Similar, but not the same effect on the body. Ephedrine is far more of a stimulant, and has a much greater effect on the heart.
Chemically they are similar, yet different.

Consolation
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Anyone thinking of taking creatine should read up a bit.

It seems that it can improve athletic performance, but the aspects it improves are not so interesting to tennis players. Muscles use several distinct 'systems' for energy. The phospho-creatine system is the initial source of energy, and can supply energy for 5-10 seconds. It is best analagous to a capacitor, very quick source of lots of energy, but not sustained. Creatine loading can very slightly increase the stored energy in this system. The only time this leads to increased athletic performance is when the system is maximally stressed. Actions that require maximal muscle contraction benefit. Short distance linear sprinting, weight lifting and the sort. In tennis it is extremely rare to maximal contract any muscle. Even when going all out for a ball, the effort is sub-maximal because it is rarely linear,and as such, the contractions are moderated for balance and directional control. That being said, there is some evidence it can be useful during training for a variety of sub-maximal sports, assuming such training involves focused near-maximal efforts.

You don't need to rely on anecdotal evidence for creatine, there is a wealth of well designed published studies, hit up pubmed.

Some facts:

It does nothing for recovery.
You will gain 2-3% body weight (from increased water retention)

Some trends:

Many people report increased cramping and GI problems.

r2473
02-01-2011, 10:16 AM
If you are looking to buy supplements of any kind, I'll sell you a jug of pixie dust and you can call it anything you want and claim it does whatever you want.

All I want is your money.

autumn_leaf
02-01-2011, 10:18 AM

it has the word pseudo in it so you know it's not the same thing lol.

Hidious
02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
it has the word pseudo in it so you know it's not the same thing lol.

Still, there was trend among junior hockey players a couple of years ago, don't know if it's still on. They would take a couple of Sudafed before a game and get a boost

bad_call
02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
how bout those energy drinks? this Rockstar one for instance has this

http://www.rockstar69.com/uploads/products/juicedmango_ingredients.jpg

Hidious
02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
These things will dehydrate you in no time. No good for tennis or any physical activity...

813wilson
02-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Creatine is legal.

Alcohol is a banned substance while bowling.....?

Holy Crap! My league is in violation of IOC rules?

I can't bowl well without a beer or two. Now what do I do?

SystemicAnomaly
02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
how bout those energy drinks? this Rockstar one for instance has this

http://www.rockstar69.com/uploads/products/juicedmango_ingredients.jpg

Get rid of most of that sugar and it might be a better product.

only4theweak187
02-22-2011, 01:28 AM
People are so f'ing stupid. Creatine is found in the vertebrae of humans, helps a person's lifts go up several pounds, that's all it is, it is found in cheese for **** sakes.

Wow.

only4theweak187
02-22-2011, 01:29 AM
These things will dehydrate you in no time. No good for tennis or any physical activity...

creatine makes you retain water.

think before talking out your ***.

813wilson
02-22-2011, 04:24 AM
^^^^

Now, I'm not the Board Certified Doctor you must be, but come on now.....

I thought creatine was an amino acid made in the liver and kidneys. I thought the goal was stronger muscles, not vertebrae.

As the expert you appear to be, are you suggesting that reaining water actually helps????

dominikk1985
02-22-2011, 04:35 AM

testo is also created naturally by your body and supplementing is illegal. same is true for EPO.

However in this case it's right, creatine is legal.

coloskier
02-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Ephedrine is performance enhancing ... and is also extremely dangerous. Hence why it makes the list.

Creatine is a well known cause of muscle cramps, but if taken in small doses it can be effective.

LPShanet
02-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Ephedrine is indeed performance enhancing, but calling it "dangerous" is really inaccurate. It is certainly dangerous in extremely high doses, but so are most OTC meds. There were a few cases documented of people using way too much (at raves, etc.) and it wrongly got blamed for a number of other things. However, the research shows no difference between it and any other widely available legal stimulant in equivalent doses. The real reason they've made an effort to keep it and similar compounds (such as pseudoephedrine in decongestants) off the shelves is because it can be used in the production of methamphetamine.

By the same token, it is not known whether "creatine is very safe" at all. Not sure why you say that. There haven't been sufficient clinical studies done to know for sure. But in some forms, it does appear to have risks. However, at the present time, it is legal in most sports, and widely available, though some companies (e.g. Cytosport) have eliminated it from their supplements due to the advance buzz that in high doses it may have side effects. Creatine's banning has been discussed by the governing bodies of several sports, so I'm not sure why you are so certain that it won't ever be banned.

Consolation
02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Ephedrine is indeed performance enhancing, but calling it "dangerous" is really inaccurate. It is certainly dangerous in extremely high doses, but so are most OTC meds. There were a few cases documented of people using way too much (at raves, etc.) and it wrongly got blamed for a number of other things. However, the research shows no difference between it and any other widely available legal stimulant in equivalent doses. The real reason they've made an effort to keep it and similar compounds (such as pseudoephedrine in decongestants) off the shelves is because it can be used in the production of methamphetamine.

By the same token, it is not known whether "creatine is very safe" at all. Not sure why you say that. There haven't been sufficient clinical studies done to know for sure. But in some forms, it does appear to have risks. However, at the present time, it is legal in most sports, and widely available, though some companies (e.g. Cytosport) have eliminated it from their supplements due to the advance buzz that in high doses it may have side effects. Creatine's banning has been discussed by the governing bodies of several sports, so I'm not sure why you are so certain that it won't ever be banned.

I highly doubt it will ever get banned. It's been brought up at each ioc/wada meeting. Each time, there is more evidence that it provides no benefit. The initial studies that showed improvement were poorly designed. More recent studies, that went further to blind participants, have not shown a performance benefit. As such, there is no basis for banning it.

LPShanet
02-22-2011, 07:10 PM
I highly doubt it will ever get banned. It's been brought up at each ioc/wada meeting. Each time, there is more evidence that it provides no benefit. The initial studies that showed improvement were poorly designed. More recent studies, that went further to blind participants, have not shown a performance benefit. As such, there is no basis for banning it.

There is a basis if it turns out to have harmful side effects in a training context, which it may. There are many drugs banned by WADA and other sports bodies that have no performance benefits, including various recreational drugs. However, if it falls off the map to the point where it's not being distributed much, which it may due to its lack of efficacy, then they won't bother (as you point out).

Consolation
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
There is a basis if it turns out to have harmful side effects in a training context, which it may. There are many drugs banned by WADA and other sports bodies that have no performance benefits, including various recreational drugs. However, if it falls off the map to the point where it's not being distributed much, which it may due to its lack of efficacy, then they won't bother (as you point out).

There's no precedent or mechanism for adding a substance simply due to harmul side effects.

Recreational drugs are on the banned list for competition because they do have potential benefits. Cocaine, meth, Ecstasy are all potent stimulants. Narcotics and cannabinoids are on the list both for safety concerns during the competition related to mental status changes, and the fact that low levels have been shown to improve performance in short duration, high intensity events. Recreational drugs are actually legal to use out of competition (from a doping standpoint, not necessarily a legal standpoint), but many have long half lives in the body such that the timing of the ingestion cannot be determined. Thus if a positive result is obtained when a competition has occurred within the washout period for that substance, this results in a doping violation.

I understand what you're getting at, but the WADA (and the IOC) has a very clear, and narrow mandate. There are strict criteria for what gets on the list.

jackson vile
02-23-2011, 09:44 AM

So are anabolic steroids, pro-hormones, hGH, and lots of other illegal drugs LOL

Also even if something it not specificly on the ban list, you can still be in trouble if they fit a specific criteria.

jackson vile
02-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Also consider this, 1) food acts as a drug 2) food has been know to cause many disease including but not limited to a) heart disease b) type II diabetes etc.