PDA

View Full Version : Murray pre-stretching polys?....

MrFonzi
01-29-2011, 01:31 AM
During his match against Ferrer, Andy sent his racquet off to get restrung after the first set (I think) and Jim Courier (who was commentating) said that Murray requested it to be pre-stretched and strung at 57 lbs. And on the TW ATP gear page ( http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/player.html?ccode=AMURRAY ) he is using full lux, which made me dubious of the validity (especially after Courier claimed that Murray uses a continental FH and that not one ATP pro uses an eastern FH). But I am interested if anyone can verify/justify the pre-stetching scenario here.

armsty
01-29-2011, 02:01 AM
He pulled some Babolat string out of the bag. Looked like VS.

Pioneer
01-29-2011, 02:09 AM
Continental? I think you mean semi-western. Yeah, very few use eastern. Only Stepanek and Gasquet

During his match against Ferrer, Andy sent his racquet off to get restrung after the first set (I think) and Jim Courier (who was commentating) said that Murray requested it to be pre-stretched and strung at 57 lbs. And on the TW ATP gear page ( http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/player.html?ccode=AMURRAY ) he is using full lux, which made me dubious of the validity (especially after Courier claimed that Murray uses a continental FH and that not one ATP pro uses an eastern FH). But I am interested if anyone can verify/justify the pre-stetching scenario here.

uk_skippy
01-29-2011, 02:13 AM
He uses a hybrid of ALU Power & VS gut. its the VS gut that will be pre-stretched. The stringer would know what the instruction meant.

Regards

Paul

MrFonzi
01-29-2011, 02:23 AM
OK thanks Armsty I must have missed that footage.
Pioneer: There are more easterns out there than just 2. Delpo is using it now I'm sure and Fed gravitates between E and SW.

000KFACTOR90000
01-29-2011, 02:40 AM
From the job sheet during the match vs Ferrer...

Murray, Andy

Mains Crosses

Luxilon - ALU Power Strings Babolat - Natural Gut

57 Lbs Tension 57 Lbs

16 Gauge 17

No Pre-Stretch Yes

WO#24786

ps pardon the rubbish formatting - couldn't make the columns line up !

Ronaldo
01-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Only Fat Joe could pre-stretch Alu Power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajmI1P3r1w4

PED
01-29-2011, 10:44 AM
One thing I noticed-they showed footage on espn of the stick being strung.

The sticker on the inside of the throat said Fri (friday obviously) and 54.

The commentators also said 57 pounds but the sticker was for 54 lbs. Either it was the old sticker that p1 had put on there at 54 lbs and he wanted to up the tension to 57 but that would seem doubtful since they were playing at night and it was colder than usual.

grimmbomb21
01-29-2011, 10:49 AM

The commentators also said 57 pounds but the sticker was for 54 lbs. Either it was the old sticker that p1 had put on there at 54 lbs and he wanted to up the tension to 57 but that would seem doubtful since they were playing at night and it was colder than usual.

I think Murray said after the match that he got the tension raised on his frames at the end of the second set.

PED
01-29-2011, 10:50 AM
^^Thanks, I had not heard that. Was surprised to see 54 on the sticker as I thought he was usually high 50's/low 60's

Torres
01-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Bizarre as this may sound, but Nadal apparently has his poly prestretched. In fact, if any of you string at tourneys and speak to Babolat, they will say that poly can be prestreched to help reduce tension loss. I hate to think what effect that has on feel and the little elasticity it already has though...

jazar
01-29-2011, 11:27 AM
In fact, if any of you string at tourneys and speak to Babolat, they will say that poly can be prestreched to help reduce tension loss

True.

Bizarre as this may sound, but Nadal apparently has his poly prestretched.

Not true.

Torres
01-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Not true.

How do you know?

Feņa14
01-29-2011, 02:54 PM

At Shanghai last year Murray experimented with stringing his rackets tighter, he wanted to be more aggressive from the baseline and he said stringing tighter meant he could go for his shots more without the fear of them going long on him.

Maybe that was the plan here? He was certainly going for it alot more after the second set, which suggests so.

tennis tex
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Continental? I think you mean semi-western. Yeah, very few use eastern. Only Stepanek and Gasquet

Federer uses an eastern grip:)

uk_skippy
01-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Not true.

How do you know?

I've strung some practice rqts for Nadal, and I didn't pre-stretch the RPM Blast. This was at Wimbledon last year, and the stringer who did his rqts thru the tournament didnt pre-stretched them either. This has never been a request by Nadal. Jazar also worked at Wimbledon last year, and will confirm this.

I've only come across 1 pro who requested pre-stretch on poly and the that was Likhotsova(?)

Regards

Paul

drakulie
01-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Rony Yu of Priority 1 stringing andy murray's frame:

http://downloads.lta.org.uk/webservices/video/video7.html

decades
01-29-2011, 06:51 PM

he uses a gut hybrid.

themitchmann
01-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Rony Yu of Priority 1 stringing andy murray's frame:

http://downloads.lta.org.uk/webservices/video/video7.html

Great vid. Thanks for sharing!

jazar
01-30-2011, 04:18 AM
I've strung some practice rqts for Nadal, and I didn't pre-stretch the RPM Blast. This was at Wimbledon last year, and the stringer who did his rqts thru the tournament didnt pre-stretched them either. This has never been a request by Nadal. Jazar also worked at Wimbledon last year, and will confirm this.

I've only come across 1 pro who requested pre-stretch on poly and the that was Likhotsova(?)

Regards

Paul

Definitely no pre-strech for Nadal. I even booked some of his rackets in on the desk at one point at Wimbledon last year and there was no mention at all of pre-stretch.

Pre-stretching poly is very rare. I did some for Shvedova in Sonic Pro with 10% pre-stretch at Wimbledon last year and before that I did a poly/gut hybrid for Morita where she requested both the poly and gut to be pre-stretch.