PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat percentage question.

Slava
04-22-2004, 12:25 AM
What bodyfat percentage do most pro players have? I'm trying to slim down a bit and would like to set a target to shoot for.

Anonymous
04-22-2004, 07:39 AM
5-10%

Glass Joe
04-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Don't go by what professionals do. Keep in mind that these professionals are on strict diet and training regimens under the supervision of proper medical personell. Before trying to drop your body fat % that much, it would be wise to contact a doctor, or perhaps a nutritionist and ask for their professional opinion.

AAAA
04-23-2004, 06:33 AM
5% is bordering on being medically dangerous.

Mikael
04-23-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm at 4% and have never had any problems... You make me curious though. What are the risks of having an extremely low body fat percentage? Would my tennis game or even my whole life get better with a higher percentage?

Slava
04-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Mikael, how did you have your bodyfat tested?

Mikael
04-24-2004, 12:39 PM
At the gym I used to go to, they had a device... they'd sort of pinch your skin with it at various spots and then they'd calculate your bodyfat based on what the device told them.
It must be fairly reliable as I did the test several times and it always showed the same result: around 4%. The gym instructor commented that was the lowest percentage he'd ever seen using that machine.

AAAA
04-28-2004, 06:48 AM
In google search for:

'healthy body fat percentage'

Mikael
04-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Ok from what I read "essential body fat" is around 3%, depending of course on the individual...
If I can keep my 4% I'll be happy. 5 won't kill me, I guess. It's just nicer to be on the lower end than the higher end.

waterpro
05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Not to burst your bubble Mikael, but the "Skin Fold Test" is not that acurate. In fact if you gave it to 5 different people you would get 5 different results. I am not saying it is way off, but if you want to truely get you're bf tested do a dunk test. That is the most reliable way to have it done. Even the electric scales are more reliable than the Skin Fold Test. I have a tanita bf scale, I have been in the dunk test and have done the skin fold test. The skin fold test showed 8%, while both the tanita scale and the dunk test were showing 12-13%. Any university with a sports program should have the well to do the dunk test. It cost me $15 to have it done at the local university, but it is by far the most acurate measure out there. Sure it's nice to tell people I am at 8% but really in reality, I know I am at 12-13%.

Mikael
05-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Point well taken, although you probably didn't mean to say " if you gave it to 5 different people you would get 5 different results." which is pretty obvious ;-)
Yes, it may underestimate my BF percentage a little, although not too much I guess considering my gym was quite big and I had the lowest BF percentage out of all the trainees there (there were a couple pro bodybuilders too). I'd say my BF is at 6% maximum, 4% minimum.

waterpro
05-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Point well taken, although you probably didn't mean to say " if you gave it to 5 different people you would get 5 different results." which is pretty obvious ;-)

Whoops, what I meant is that if 5 different people gave one individual the same skin fold test with the same exact pincher device, each one of us would come up with different results for that same individual.

gmlasam
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
At the gym I used to go to, they had a device... they'd sort of pinch your skin with it at various spots and then they'd calculate your bodyfat based on what the device told them.
It must be fairly reliable as I did the test several times and it always showed the same result: around 4%. The gym instructor commented that was the lowest percentage he'd ever seen using that machine.Im not doubting you, but many of those personal trainers are quaks. They are usually uncertified and are hired because they are paid cheap by some if not most gyms. Most of them do not even know basic human anatomy and physiology. They just learned what they know from the gym as word of mouth. If these are the trainers that took your body fat test, then I really would question its accuracy. The accuracy of body fat calipers really depends on the indiviual applying them. Sub 7% is very low fat % for a male, and are usually found in long distance runners at a world class level. You should get retested 3 more times from a 3 different, hopefully certifed PTs that have full knowledge on how to administer the body fat caliper.

Mikael
06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Well I did the test several times and in total with about 3 different trainers, and it gave fairly consistent results. I don't think those guys were quacks, actually two of them were also students preparing physiology exams.

But I used to run a lot back then... semi-marathons and stuff. I was extremely fit, playing tennis every other day, focusing on training and being competitive for tournaments (it was a sabbatical year). I'm not really surprised about having been around 4-6% in those times.

These days I focus on bulking and obviously my fat percentage has gone up, no doubt.

kevhen
06-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Probably under 10% would be a good goal. I have always sunk while floating in a pool, so my body fat has always been pretty low. Do you all sink or float? What body fat level does it take to float?

Mikael
06-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Last time I checked I sink. I can actually sit down or lie at the bottom of the swimming pool...

Rickson
06-28-2004, 09:28 PM
I used to be a personal trainer, I'm ACE certified, and I'm definitely not a quack! I used a skyndex machine and the bodyfat ranges I read were higher than you'd imagine. I've never read anyone as low as 4% with the skyndex so I have to believe that the skinfold method your gym buddy used was inaccurate. I believe you could be pretty lean, possibly 8-10%, but 4% is pushing it a bit. If you want to accurately measure your bodyfat, underwater weighing is the most accurate method around.

baseliner
06-30-2004, 05:35 AM
Early on someone asked the downside of BF% too low. I imagine one negative is in a long match, no stored body fat to draw on thus causing fatigue. I'm no expert, but I was always cautioned to avoid getting BF much below 6-8%.

juu
08-12-2004, 05:13 AM
The immune system has trouble coping without the body fat (I've forgotten why). It also doesn't function as heat insulation, thus you're more bound to get common cold or (not sure) heat stroke.