PDA

View Full Version : Nishikori's gripsize? What is his forehandgrip aswell?

W.S
01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Anyone who knows? Maybe you have strung hisracquets once and checked? ;)

One thing I wonder is if anyone knows if he uses full-western or extreme-western on his forehand?

Djokolate
01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
extreme western forehand grip

i think the grip size is like 3/8 or 1/4 maybe somewhere in between

Fedace
01-31-2011, 11:34 AM

why so small ?? he looks like he is like 5'10" tall ?

Djokolate
01-31-2011, 11:39 AM
why so small ?? he looks like he is like 5'10" tall ?

ask nishi :)

Fedace
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
ask nishi :)

I must be really Weird guy. because i go to bigger grip size like grip size 6 or 7 when i am about as tall as Kei. and every other amateurs and pros alike are going to small size. I don't know why this is ??:confused:

Djokolate
01-31-2011, 11:44 AM
I must be really Weird guy. because i go to bigger grip size like grip size 6 or 7 when i am about as tall as Kei. and every other amateurs and pros alike are going to small size. I don't know why this is ??:confused:

i think i might be going crazy but did/does someone use a 1/8? im thinking no but.. yes or no?

Fedace
01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
i think i might be going crazy but did/does someone use a 1/8? im thinking no but.. yes or no?

i never seen 1/8 but i have seen 2/8 grip size being used by a Pro. Rafa experimented with it as well.

sureshs
01-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Simple. My size is a 4 1/2, using different ways of measuring. I was using that grip size for a long time now. I recently purchased a new frame with 3/8 size. Because I noticed that Fed uses a 3/8 and Nadal a 1/4, even though they have bigger hands than mine. With a 3/8 size, I am getting better control on my shots, especially my serve. Todays game uses wrist, not like the old times when people were told to keep everything stiff and straight. A grip which is a little smaller than your measured size seems to give finer control over the ball.

Fedace
01-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Simple. My size is a 4 1/2, using different ways of measuring. I was using that grip size for a long time now. I recently purchased a new frame with 3/8 size. Because I noticed that Fed uses a 3/8 and Nadal a 1/4, even though they have bigger hands than mine. With a 3/8 size, I am getting better control on my shots, especially my serve. Todays game uses wrist, not like the old times when people were told to keep everything stiff and straight. A grip which is a little smaller than your measured size seems to give finer control over the ball.

I feel like it is harder to find the Edges of the grip when it is small. vs i can find it better when it is big.:confused:

dantheman
01-31-2011, 12:23 PM

he doesn't use extreme western anymore do to the fact that he got a wrist injury off it. he's long switched to a full western. and his grip size is 4 3/8

sureshs
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
I feel like it is harder to find the Edges of the grip when it is small. vs i can find it better when it is big.:confused:

Opposite for me.

It also depends on the manufacturer. Wilson has better defined bevels than Prince.

Fedace
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Opposite for me.

It also depends on the manufacturer. Wilson has better defined bevels than Prince.

How do you avoid Racket twisting on off center hits with very small grip size ???

sureshs
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
How do you avoid Racket twisting on off center hits with very small grip size ???

That is what everyone tells you, and it is partially true. But I also use an OG, so the size is 1/16th more (but then I was using OG with the bigger zise too).

Not only that, the twisting can also cause tennis elbow issues.

It is a tradeoff. If your size is N, try N-1 + OG. With this, I can feel the bevels better, grip the handle better and achieve a fine control over the wrist in my serve. Helps in snap/pronation. And also in quick reflex shots in doubles.

Mack-2
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
That is what everyone tells you, and it is partially true. But I also use an OG, so the size is 1/16th more (but then I was using OG with the bigger zise too).

Not only that, the twisting can also cause tennis elbow issues.

It is a tradeoff. If your size is N, try N-1 + OG. With this, I can feel the bevels better, grip the handle better and achieve a fine control over the wrist in my serve. Helps in snap/pronation. And also in quick reflex shots in doubles.

Wow i suffered with tennis elbow for a short while and i never really new exactly what the problem was...but that could just be it because i do remember that happening to me alot when i never used to use an OG.

You are now my hero

LeeD
01-31-2011, 03:33 PM
If you swing out on every shot, twisting is seldom an issue.
If you tend to precisely strike the ball with control, twisting becomes a real issue.

sureshs
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow i suffered with tennis elbow for a short while and i never really new exactly what the problem was...but that could just be it because i do remember that happening to me alot when i never used to use an OG.

You are now my hero

A lot of people here also feel the same way towards me.

Mack-2
02-01-2011, 04:24 AM
A lot of people here also feel the same way towards me.

This can only mean one thing...

YOU ARE A ******* :)

TheBoom
02-01-2011, 05:07 AM
i never seen 1/8 but i have seen 2/8 grip size being used by a Pro. Rafa experimented with it as well.

2/8 is the same as a 1/4 isn't it? At least in math class lol :)

Djokolate
02-01-2011, 07:24 AM
2/8 is the same as a 1/4 isn't it? At least in math class lol :)

lol
10char

Pioneer
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Mario Ancic used L2

Djokolate
02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Mario Ancic used L2

mmhmm so does nadal.

sureshs
02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
mmhmm so does nadal.

Correct. Uncle Toni put him up to it. He wanted Rafa to have the flexibility to swing the racquet like a table tennis paddle (Toni was a good TT player at one time).

Pioneer
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
My point was that 6'5 guys like Ancic use L2

L2 and L3 seem to be the standard. Some guys use L4 and very few guys use L5. If Berdych uses L3.5, why would it be weird for Nishikori to use L2?

mmhmm so does nadal.

Fedace
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Mario Ancic used L2

That just Astonishes me. because Mario is a Big tall guy with Huge hands. and he used L2 ???? wow......how do you even begin to find the bevel edges with grip that small and also avoid Grip twisting in your hands ???:confused:

Don't Let It Bounce
02-01-2011, 05:14 PM
That just Astonishes me. because Mario is a Big tall guy with Huge hands. and he used L2 ???? wow......how do you even begin to find the bevel edges with grip that small and also avoid Grip twisting in your hands ???:confused:They key is to hold the racquet in a pencil grip, the way the Chinese players hold table tennis paddles. That way you're hitting FH and BH with the same racquet face, and since you don't change grips the bevels don't matter.

(More seriously: no idea. I know I couldn't do it. With anything below a #5, it feels to me like the racquet is spinning in my hand like an electric mixer.)

i think i might be going crazy but did/does someone use a 1/8? im thinking no but.. yes or no?Wasn't it Alberto Berasategui?

Terre Battu
02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Grip sizing per manufacturer varies a lot. I've found that Babolat, Volkl, and the new Wilson grips feel a little bigger than the spec. I started ordering 4 1/4 grips rather than my usual 4 3/8. It's always easier/cheaper to enlarge a grip rather than to downsize it.

10ACE
02-01-2011, 08:06 PM

I agree and have dabbled with 4. Use a 5 and now added a shrink wrap and playing with a 6. And I still get enough "wrist" action.

Djokolate
02-03-2011, 12:28 PM
edit: actually, don't worry :)