PDA

View Full Version : Missing my first Superbowl :(

Cindysphinx
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Man, I am in a funk.

I am in a book club. In fact, it is a couples book club. The presence of both genders makes the book club discussions and selections pretty awesome -- because it is not All Chicks All The Time, the group picks books that appeal to folks like me who don't enjoy Chick Books.

Anyway, it is our turn to host the dinner and book discussion. Many members of the group travel, so we try to pick a date when most people can attend.

This particular book club meeting is on Feb. 6, the only time when folks were available. Yeah. Super Bowl Sunday. At 7:00. Which means I will miss the whole Superbowl.

As I sit here, I cannot think of a single Superbowl I have missed. I really enjoy the Superbowl, whether I am by myself or with a group. Why, I am one of the few people who actually saw Janet Jackson's mammary pop out and said, my mouth full of chips, "I think I just saw her boob."

Pity me, people. Pity me.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go finish the book in question. Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I am on page 850, with 90 pages left to go. Like I said, the group *usually* picks satisfying books. Me, I have not been thrilled with pages 1-850. :(

Cindy -- who decided to churn through this book no matter what just so she could say that Anna Karenina is the longest book she has ever read

GRANITECHIEF
01-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Simply make up some relationships or symbology between the book and the bowl and tune in for examples.

Otherwise, cough cough, you may be getting sick that day?

r2473
01-31-2011, 12:30 PM

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go finish the book in question. Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I am on page 850, with 90 pages left to go. Like I said, the group *usually* picks satisfying books. Me, I have not been thrilled with pages 1-850. :(

Pity you? I'd trade places with you in a second.

As and aside, I much prefer "reading" books like this "Books on Tape" style. The actors that read these books are wonderful. I feel I get much more out of the book this way and it is much more enjoyable as well. I "read" (re-read) Karenina in the past 12 months this way. It is a wonderful book. Tolstoy is probably my favorite author. Nobody writes as well as he does. His insights are probably on even par with Shakespeare. These are books well worth reading multiple times (and at different stages in your personal life). You always get something new out of it

Cindysphinx
01-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Pity you? I'd trade places with you in a second.

As and aside, I much prefer "reading" books like this "Books on Tape" style. The actors that read these books are wonderful. I feel I get much more out of the book this way and it is much more enjoyable as well. I "read" (re-read) Karenina in the past 12 months this way. It is a wonderful book. Tolstoy is probably my favorite author. Nobody writes as well as he does. His insights are probably on even par with Shakespeare. These are books well worth reading multiple times (and at different stages in your personal life). You always get something new out of it

Ahem.

I don't like the way Tolstoy writes. Yes, Anna's hand is little. I got it the first time, and I got it the hundredth time Tolstoy said it.

I also think Tolstoy is a huge tease. He throws things out there (Vronsky has money problems), and then nothing much comes of it.

Do not get me started on the anticlimactic scene where Anna goes out into society. The huge slap in the face I was anticipating turned out to be that some lady said one sentence to her. That's it? That's all ya got? Come *on!* How about a little drama? I'm working awfully hard to distinguish all of these Russian names? Can I get one good bar brawl for my trouble?

And Kitty's birth scene? Nicely done. On page 800. Is anything going to come of Levin's mixed feelings about the child? I don't see it happening before I get to the end.

I am a non-fiction type of person, so I guess I will take pride and satisfaction in just having finished the book. 'Cause I was ready to give up at about page 250.

Cindy -- who thinks it isn't fair that you're not allowed to diss certain authors without everyone concluding that you're just a lightweight

Cindysphinx
01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
By the way, I will again recommend that any of you married folks consider starting a couples book club. The things we have read are awesome.

I was in a women's book club some years before we joined this one, and there is no comparison. The women's book club read Books Of Interest To Women. Like "The Red Tent." And some stuff by Barbara Kingsolver. Blech.

billsgwn
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
If you have seen the Kurt Russell/Robin Williams movie, "The Best of Times" I think you see what has to be done. >>>>>
Have everyone facing one direction and place a TV behind a chair or couch so only you can see it and that way you can watch the game while no one else knows it.

r2473
01-31-2011, 12:53 PM
I'll be honest, I much preferred War and Peace to Anna Karenina.

My wife is in a book club and a few of the husbands attend as well. From what I can tell, only half of the people actually read the book (if that). They also read books I'm not really interested in. But, they all say that they do like having a few men present instead of just all women.

She has hosted it a few times. From what I could tell, little time was spent discussing the book.

FloridaAG
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Opposite here, I may actually see it this year. I have often been travelling back from skiing in Utah on Super Bowl Sunday. I believe we hit it 3 out of 4 years at one point

JustBob
01-31-2011, 02:10 PM
If there are men in that book club and none of them objected to holding the meeting on Super Bowl night, they need to turn in their man card. :)

sureshs
01-31-2011, 02:10 PM
I usually don't read books (Tennis Channel consumes my leisure time). But yesterday I was sitting in the pro shop waiting for a long time for our matches to begin. Tennis Channel was showing a rerun of the men's final and true to tradition, the teaching pro changed the channel to men's basketball (and people wonder why tennis is not more popular in the US).

A large pile of Corina Morariu's autobio (Living thru the racquet) was lying around (and has been for a long time as it did not sell). Being a cheap person, I read thru the entire book in an hour and then did not buy it.

Nice observations about Davenport and Gimelstob in the book. And how her first husband was her coach, 11 years older than her, and hit on her when she was 15.

FloridaAG
01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
If there are men in that book club and none of them objected to holding the meeting on Super Bowl night, they need to turn in their man card. :)

Correction - if they are in a book club in the first place, they need to turn in their man card.

I am just kidding and I am an avid reader. All of the book clubs I know of are exclusively female though.

jmnk
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM
ok, so what exactly is the purpose of a 'book club'? I mean I read books too, but isn't that the point that a book has one meaning for me and possibly another for you - so we are going to convince one another whose interpretation is better?
(it's not a facetious question)

JustBob
01-31-2011, 02:39 PM
ok, so what exactly is the purpose of a 'book club'? I mean I read books too, but isn't that the point that a book has one meaning for me and possibly another for you - so we are going to convince one another whose interpretation is better?

You have answered your own question. Whether a book or film club, the purpose is to discuss different interpretations. Obviously, if there was only one interpretation possible, there would be no need for discussion or a club. :)

Dream_On
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Who cares its only the superbowl, its like missing a meal at mcdonalds to have a meal at burger king

Tyrus
01-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm certain that plenty of other people in your club are in that whole conundrum.

Why not consider some honesty?

"We should cancel the book club meeting for the super bowl."

Unless they're PAYING you to host this event and certain that no one else in the club cares about the super bowl (which with a male presence in it as well, i HIGHLY doubt that).

But its all on your terms, and having not known your club or involvement or what they think of u, all i can think is "f**k em, i'd rather watch the SB."

What i'm saying feels too simple to really be like that, so there must be something else going on thats making this conundrum pretty complicated.

Or allocate one room for the bookies, and another for the Super Bowl, and let the group decide.

If its on your terms, leverage what you got.

Cindysphinx
01-31-2011, 05:01 PM

I don't know about the purpose of the book club, but I can tell you what they do for me.

First, our discussions tend to be pretty interesting, as folks tend to bring props and other things having to do with the book. We discussed a book set in the Arab world, and one of the women brought her burkas. She had bought a few on trips to the region, so the women tried them on. These were the full-on, head-to-toe variety with only the eyes visible. How these women get around without tripping over their own feet I will never know.

As for the books, we wind up reading things that we wouldn't otherwise choose. That alone has value. I am forced to read fiction, and the fiction people are forced to read non-fiction. To pick new books, each person nominates 2-3 books and pitches for them, and then we have a secret ballot to pick the next year's books.

As I said, we are stuck with Superbowl Sunday to accommodate the schedules of the people who travel a lot. There is one other male member who is bummed to be missing the Superbowl.

JustBob
01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Around Feb. 3rd-4th would be a good time to catch a really bad cold. :)

maleyoyo
01-31-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't know about the purpose of the book club, but I can tell you what they do for me.

First, our discussions tend to be pretty interesting, as folks tend to bring props and other things having to do with the book. We discussed a book set in the Arab world, and one of the women brought her burkas. She had bought a few on trips to the region, so the women tried them on. These were the full-on, head-to-toe variety with only the eyes visible. How these women get around without tripping over their own feet I will never know.

As for the books, we wind up reading things that we wouldn't otherwise choose. That alone has value. I am forced to read fiction, and the fiction people are forced to read non-fiction. To pick new books, each person nominates 2-3 books and pitches for them, and then we have a secret ballot to pick the next year's books.

As I said, we are stuck with Superbowl Sunday to accommodate the schedules of the people who travel a lot. There is one other male member who is bummed to be missing the Superbowl.

Is it just me? I canít seem to picture a guy who is a regular member of a book club and an avid Super Bowl fan.

Cindysphinx
01-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Why would you assume sports fans to be illiterate? Why can't a person enjoy sports and reading/discussion?

tricky
01-31-2011, 07:34 PM
At 7:00.

How about a book club brunch meet???

maleyoyo
01-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Why would you assume sports fans to be illiterate? Why can't a person enjoy sports and reading/discussion?

I didn't mean it that way. It seems to me, an avid sports fan in its truest sense and a regular book club member are from two opposite ends of the spectrum, personality wise.

Dedans Penthouse
02-01-2011, 06:16 AM
How about a book club brunch meet???
^^^^^^^^^
What's wrong with that idea Cindy? Or, if "doomed love" was the theme de jour, then maybe Doestoevsky's short story "White Nights" as the required reading and knocking it off during the halftime show? ;-)

TheBoom
02-01-2011, 06:18 AM
I'd wear a radio or put it in another room and then go there every now and then and check the scores lol send a different person every time :)

Cindysphinx
02-01-2011, 06:38 AM
A brunch meeting might work, but we've never done that before.

What could work is combining the two events. Hold the book club meeting at 5. Then those who want to stick around to watch the game could do so -- which would be everyone.

That's a looooong evening, though . . . .

Cindysphinx
02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Aw, geez. Be careful what you wish for, eh?

I sent out an e-mail to the group setting the event for dinnertime as always. I got a phone call from one guy. He said he hadn't initially been that interested in the game, but now that Green Bay is involved he wants to see it.

So the new plan is that everyone is coming over well before the game for the book discussion. I will serve appetizers. Then we retire to the basement to watch the first half. Then I serve the dinner. Then we retire to the basement to watch the second half. Then I serve the dessert.

So now I will have guests for at least six straight hours, and I still won't get to enjoy the game. :(

SoBad
02-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Man, I am in a funk.

Superbowl totally rocks. And Anna Karenina is like so not cool.

maverick66
02-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Since there is no cheerleaders at the Super Bowl who else thinks Cindy should dress up as one for her party? :)

Mike Bulgakov
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Superbowl totally rocks. And Anna Karenina is like so not cool.
A "this or that" question to be discussed at Cindy's gathering:

Anna Karenina playing tennis, or Anna Kournikova reading a novel?

Steady Eddy
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Aw, geez. Be careful what you wish for, eh?

I sent out an e-mail to the group setting the event for dinnertime as always. I got a phone call from one guy. He said he hadn't initially been that interested in the game, but now that Green Bay is involved he wants to see it.

So the new plan is that everyone is coming over well before the game for the book discussion. I will serve appetizers. Then we retire to the basement to watch the first half. Then I serve the dinner. Then we retire to the basement to watch the second half. Then I serve the dessert.

So now I will have guests for at least six straight hours, and I still won't get to enjoy the game. :(I think you're making it too hard. That's not how people eat on Super Sunday. Just get a bunch of sliced turkey, corned beef, potato rolls, mustard, mayo, chips, salsa, etc. Keep it casual and fun. Invite people to eat whenever they feel hungry and they'll enjoy this more than sitting down to a formal dinner, Oh yeah, have plenty of beer and wine, and no one will complain.

Cindysphinx
02-02-2011, 05:52 AM
I think you're making it too hard. That's not how people eat on Super Sunday. Just get a bunch of sliced turkey, corned beef, potato rolls, mustard, mayo, chips, salsa, etc. Keep it casual and fun. Invite people to eat whenever they feel hungry and they'll enjoy this more than sitting down to a formal dinner, Oh yeah, have plenty of beer and wine, and no one will complain.

Mmm, nope. I proposed that. No go. Instead, I will be preparing a few Russian-inspired dishes. One will be fish. One will be beets. I swear, I am not making this up.

It was not my idea to serve fish or beets. I was going to make chili, which I could make the day before and reheat.

And now because everyone will be in the basement, I have to get the basement clean and warm. This will not be easy.

How did this get so darn out of control?

lucknowrocks
02-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Mmm, nope. I proposed that. No go. Instead, I will be preparing a few Russian-inspired dishes. One will be fish. One will be beets. I swear, I am not making this up.

It was not my idea to serve fish or beets. I was going to make chili, which I could make the day before and reheat.

And now because everyone will be in the basement, I have to get the basement clean and warm. This will not be easy.

How did this get so darn out of control?

Wait, this shindig is at your house and you can't choose what to serve? The only thing Russian about the gathering should be the vodka. What a bizarre turn of events.

hollywood9826
02-02-2011, 06:50 AM
It sounds to me like you let it get out of control, just lay the law down and make the chili. When they get there telll them you didnt have time to prepare the meal and enjoy the game. You want to enjoy the game also and if they dont like that they can walk thier little yuppie rumps out the door.

Its obvious you live a different lifestyle than myself. With your reading books and meeting and talking about them and whatnot. If it was me I would say F those inconsiderate A-holes.

What has been tradition for me and Superbowl is to go to frinds dads house. We usally buy 5lb of steamed shrimp, 5lb of old bay seasoned wings, and he makes a huge pot of crab chowder. We BS, eat food, and watch the game.

jmnk
02-02-2011, 08:31 AM
@Cindysphinx: is it me or you don't really enjoy these book club gatherings too much .....? Not that I would either...

Steady Eddy
02-02-2011, 02:12 PM

How did this get so darn out of control?Really? You offered chili and they said "no"? Who are these people? They're not in a restaurant. And then it's at the same time as the Super Bowl to boot! That's different.

pmata814
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Exactly! They must be Patriots fans. I guess they're still mad about them losing and decided to boycott the rest of the football season.

heycal
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Anyway, it is our turn to host the dinner and book discussion. Many members of the group travel, so we try to pick a date when most people can attend.

This particular book club meeting is on Feb. 6, the only time when folks were available. Yeah. Super Bowl Sunday. At 7:00. Which means I will miss the whole Superbowl.

A whole group of people agreed that holding the book club meeting during the super bowl was a good idea? Understanding this is like trying to understand the mindset at Jonestown...

Do not get me started on the anticlimactic scene where Anna goes out into society. The huge slap in the face I was anticipating turned out to be that some lady said one sentence to her. That's it? That's all ya got? Come *on!* How about a little drama? I'm working awfully hard to distinguish all of these Russian names? Can I get one good bar brawl for my trouble?

And Kitty's birth scene? Nicely done. On page 800. Is anything going to come of Levin's mixed feelings about the child? I don't see it happening before I get to the end.

I am a non-fiction type of person, so I guess I will take pride and satisfaction in just having finished the book. 'Cause I was ready to give up at about page 250.

I gave up on page 200 myself. So watch the spoilers in case I try to read it again!

Anna Karenina, and recently, "Far from the Madding Crowd" are the only 2 books I either didn't finish or didn't abandon within the first 20 pages. Both were that rare example of good enough for me to stick with it for a long while, but ultimately not compelling enough to stay the full course.

I'll be honest, I much preferred War and Peace Good book. Could have been fleshed out a little, a bit longer. It skimped on some details. And I'm not kidding.

Cindysphinx
02-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Heycal, I did finish the book last night. I had an incredible surge of elation at the end, but I don't think it was because of the book. It was probably the same feeling of euphoria climbers feel when they summit Mt. Everest.

Yeah, I like the book club meetings. They are fun, as these folks are fun, worldy and creative. I have never once missed a meeting, and we've been doing this for several years. I learn a lot -- I wasn't a liberal arts major, so this is all an adventure for me. I just find the hosting responsibilities to be somewhat overwhelming.

Anyway, one lady is bringing caviar, and another is bringing champagne. Another is bringing a mink coat. Very Russian, don't you think?

And by next week it will be over and I won't have to host again until the fall, probably . . .

Cindy -- whose husband just told her he is going out of town tomorrow and so won't be able to do much to get the house ready

heycal
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Heycal, I did finish the book last night. I had an incredible surge of elation at the end, but I don't think it was because of the book. It was probably the same feeling of euphoria climbers feel when they summit Mt. Everest.

Hmm. Maybe I'll pick it up again someday. I do know that when I finally finished "Moby Dick", I didn't feel any sense of Everest-like elation, but rather a feeling of "Gee, that was 3 years of my life I'll never get back..."

Cindysphinx
02-03-2011, 05:53 AM
What time is the actual kick-off? Meaning the time when someone's toe will touch a football around mid-field?

Googling it gives me 6:30 EST, but is that the phony, bogus start time the network gives, or is the real start time?

Heycal, I feel your pain. I think the only real benefit of having finished that book is that I will now have a better shot if I appear on a trivia game show someday.

It's funny how once you read a classic book you suddenly start hearing the occasional reference to it, and then you get these references that would otherwise fly over your head.

hollywood9826
02-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Actual Kickoff is estimated as 6:25.

Caviar, Champ, and a mink coat. Maybe a first for a superbowl party :)

r2473
02-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Heycal, I feel your pain. I think the only real benefit of having finished that book is that I will now have a better shot if I appear on a trivia game show someday.

A book like this is only worth reading if you get something out of it.......or are at least entertained.

As neither is the case, perhaps you are in the wrong book club. The group you are with chooses books that don't interest you. They make the meeting inconvenient for you, plan times that conflict with your real interests (which they do not seem to share for the most part), and force meal plans on you that are not what you want.

If I were you, I would seriously think about dropping out of the club and finding one that suits you better. It is supposed to be an enjoyable activity, not a painful one.

FloridaAG
02-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Anna Karenina - outstanding book. Granted I have not read it in 20 years or so.

JackB1
02-03-2011, 09:03 AM
How about a dvr or vcr? Seems like an easy problem to fix.

max
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Man, I am in a funk.

I am in a book club. In fact, it is a couples book club. The presence of both genders makes the book club discussions and selections pretty awesome -- because it is not All Chicks All The Time, the group picks books that appeal to folks like me who don't enjoy Chick Books.

As I sit here, I cannot think of a single Superbowl I have missed. I really enjoy the Superbowl, whether I am by myself or with a group. Why, I am one of the few people who actually saw Janet Jackson's mammary pop out and said, my mouth full of chips, "I think I just saw her boob."

Cindy -- who decided to churn through this book no matter what just so she could say that Anna Karenina is the longest book she has ever read

Anna karenina is an excellent book; surprised to hear your remarks. Have you read Middlemarch by George Eliot? I'm assuming your group's been through Jane Austen; she's popular.

Also, for fun, and since it's a couples thing, consider Gabriel Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

FloridaAG
02-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Anna karenina is an excellent book; surprised to hear your remarks. Have you read Middlemarch by George Eliot? I'm assuming your group's been through Jane Austen; she's popular.

Also, for fun, and since it's a couples thing, consider Gabriel Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

I always preferred In Evil Hour, but perhaps just because i read it first

heycal
02-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Anna karenina is an excellent book; surprised to hear your remarks. Have you read Middlemarch by George Eliot?

Read this recently. Excellent book. Much better than what I remember of Anna Karenina.

sureshs
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM

She wants the live action and the party atmosphere.

Cindysphinx
02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
The club does not often pick especially long books or classics. We've read Seabiscuit. Life of Pi. A non-fiction book about vehicle traffic. Non-fiction about the explorer Magellan. Several novels about life in the Middle East. A book about a doctor working with the poor in Haiti. Kiss of the Spider Woman. It is usually a good mix.

That's why Anna Karenina felt like such a departure.

Cindy -- who is about to start Laura Hillenbrand's newest non-fiction book

heycal
02-03-2011, 03:43 PM
The club does not often pick especially long books or classics. We've read Seabiscuit. Life of Pi. A non-fiction book about vehicle traffic. Non-fiction about the explorer Magellan. Several novels about life in the Middle East. A book about a doctor working with the poor in Haiti...

Whoa! Suddenly Anna Karenina seems like a lucky break for you all.

Who picks these stinkers?

r2473
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM

That got me laughing.

Cindysphinx
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Since you asked . . .

Everyone in the group makes 2-3 recommendations, pitching them to the group. Then there is a blind ballot to pick the ones that make the cut. So there is a consensus for every book chosen.

Almost all of the books I listed above were of more interest to me than Anna Karenina. I can assure you that I voted against it. . . .

My recommendations rarely are chosen because I always go with non-fiction.

heycal
02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Almost all of the books I listed above were of more interest to me than Anna Karenina.

well, duh. Who doesn't want to read a book about vehicle traffic?

My recommendations rarely are chosen because I always go with non-fiction.

Here's the thing: I myself will always gravitate to a non-fiction book before a novel. I can look forward to and anticipate reading a book on a subject of interest to me, but it's almost impossible for me to get excited about a novel in advance. I almost have to force myself to start one.

HOWEVER... Once one begins a book and gets into the story, things equal out, and in the end, I find fiction tends to be more memorable and powerful and long-lasting. Novels are capable of a certain "immortality" than non-fiction books can't quite match.

FloridaAG
02-04-2011, 04:23 AM
I am completely opposite - i would prefer fiction to non-fiction 100% of the time

Cindysphinx
02-04-2011, 04:41 AM
well, duh. Who doesn't want to read a book about vehicle traffic?

Here's the thing: I myself will always gravitate to a non-fiction book before a novel. I can look forward to and anticipate reading a book on a subject of interest to me, but it's almost impossible for me to get excited about a novel in advance. I almost have to force myself to start one.

HOWEVER... Once one begins a book and gets into the story, things equal out, and in the end, I find fiction tends to be more memorable and powerful and long-lasting. Novels are capable of a certain "immortality" than non-fiction books can't quite match.

Here's a non-fiction book that will stay with you. It's my favorite non-fiction book by a country mile: "In the heart of the sea," by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's the story of a real-life whaling tragedy. I read it in about three days.

I guess with fiction my standards are very high. With non-fiction, the author gets a bit of a pass because they are limited by what actually happened. With fiction, the author can make anything happen. As a result, I demand utter perfection and won't suffer through dull characters, slow starts, and the worst sin of all, unsatisfying endings.

rommil
02-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Way too easy of a solution. Sphinxy has to be in a semi chaotic mix that way she can attract some amount of attention to talk about it. Right now she's wondering what to wear to the book club, boxer or briefs.

dParis
02-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I am in a book club. In fact, it is a couples book club. The presence of both genders makes the book club discussions and selections pretty awesome...
When I hear "both genders" and "book club" in the same sentence, one of the first things I think of is, "affair".

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Enjoy the Super Bowl. :)

Polaris
02-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't see why it is a big deal to reschedule. It's just a book club.

That said, between Anna Karenina and the Super Bowl, there ought to be no contest. The book is a masterpiece, the Super Bowl is just 11-13 minutes of actual sports action embedded inside 3 hours of opulent time-wasting.

dParis
02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't see why it is a big deal to reschedule. It's just a book club.
OR...

...she could ask the NFL to reschedule the Super Bowl around her book club meeting. She could send Commissioner Goodell a link to this thread to bolster her petition.

Cindy, if you decide to take this option, please let us know how it works out. I have plans on Sunday that I might need to adjust.

That said, between Anna Karenina and the Super Bowl, there ought to be no contest. The book is a masterpiece, the Super Bowl is just 11-13 minutes of actual sports action embedded inside 3 hours of opulent time-wasting.
You're right. The Super Bowl, for sure. Much better to lavish in opulence with your friends than to sit around and talk about someone else's masterpiece.

max
02-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Hmm. Maybe I'll pick it up again someday. I do know that when I finally finished "Moby Dick", I didn't feel any sense of Everest-like elation, but rather a feeling of "Gee, that was 3 years of my life I'll never get back..."

We're quite different persons, heycal. I've reread Moby Dick each summer the past three years; a very unique book, very "postmodern" in style.

The big problem for many is that the important novels are treated as high school assignments, so people divert away from them. About ten or so years ago, an author wrote about revisiting some of these great works, and made a pretty convincing argument that one's maturity makes a real difference in relating to them and in finding value in them. I think this is true; they're wasted on high schoolers.

Cindy: when I finished Middlemarch, it was a pretty intense feeling in my heart, and I knew I couldn't crack open another book for two weeks! Great stuff.

Of course, all this is a bit like tennis; you enjoy it the more you do it.

max
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
How many people remember who won the Superbowl four years ago? nine years ago?

I have a tough time with Spectating; I"d much rather play the sport. any sport, rather than watch, excepting, of course, the roller derby.

decades
02-04-2011, 11:15 AM
if the men are there missing the super bowl it still is a "chick's" book club. :)

FloridaAG
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
We're quite different persons, heycal. I've reread Moby Dick each summer the past three years; a very unique book, very "postmodern" in style.

The big problem for many is that the important novels are treated as high school assignments, so people divert away from them. About ten or so years ago, an author wrote about revisiting some of these great works, and made a pretty convincing argument that one's maturity makes a real difference in relating to them and in finding value in them. I think this is true; they're wasted on high schoolers.

Cindy: when I finished Middlemarch, it was a pretty intense feeling in my heart, and I knew I couldn't crack open another book for two weeks! Great stuff.

Of course, all this is a bit like tennis; you enjoy it the more you do it.

Very interesting - I have been re-reading many of the classics for the last 10 years or so - I re-read Moby Dick over the summer on a cruise and found it riveting.

Dedans Penthouse
02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I've reread Moby Dick each summer the past three years; .
come summer, I don't read Dick

r2473
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Spot on Max. Everything you said. Spot on.

r2473
02-04-2011, 12:20 PM
come summer, I don't read Dick

Call me Ismail:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tksSjRx38Zk/SgMuRchVF3I/AAAAAAAAA6U/Y2eM2rrwwvQ/s320/46RaghibIsmailFront.jpg

Cindysphinx
02-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Yes, in the grand scheme of things the Superbowl is awfully forgettable. Point conceded.

But there is a certain feeling of being left out that is hard to shake. I like to watch the ads just to see what some Madison Avenue person thought might be a good way to move some product. If something happens and everyone is talking about it, I hate to be in the dark.

Anyway, I used to read way more than I do now. I wish I could find my mojo again. Between constantly fiddling with reading glasses and being too bloody tired at night to stay awake to read a book, I just don't read enough.

max
02-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Geez, I don't mean to be too hard on it. For me, the game's forgettable (usually) but what is more exciting is the party. God, once a couple had us over for a major 7 or 9 course Greek dinner; really fine stuff, and the food was the champion that day!

If I'm doing Superbowl, I want a damn fine party with it.

heycal
02-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Here's a non-fiction book that will stay with you. It's my favorite non-fiction book by a country mile: "In the heart of the sea," by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's the story of a real-life whaling tragedy. I read it in about three days.

Maybe I'll check it out. And I'm not saying there aren't great and memorable non-fiction books -- Comon Ground, The Power Broker, Death of a President are three that come to mind for me -- but for the most part, non-fiction is not nearly as enduring as fiction.

There's a reason your book club is reading Anna Karenina 150 years after it was written, and not, say, an 1850's non-fiction book about horse and buggy traffic.

I read Moby Dick on my own accord when I was 44 years old (at least I was 44 when I started it...). Maybe I should have waited until I was a more mature man in my 50's?

I recently finished Middlemarch, and it's about 10 times better than Moby Dick.

I'm not sure how that book ever got to be a classic in the first place. One interesting character, Ahab (but not particularly fleshed out), and then a bunch of barely distinguishable supporting players. Starbucks? Stubbs? I couldn't tell ya the difference. Dreary stuff.

I like to watch the ads.

Why do girls like to watch advertisements?

I may dvr the game, as I do tennis and many shows, just so I can skip the ads.

heycal
02-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Anyway, I used to read way more than I do now. I wish I could find my mojo again. Between constantly fiddling with reading glasses and being too bloody tired at night to stay awake to read a book, I just don't read enough.

Kindle. Kindle changed my life. I went from reading like 20 minutes a day to 3 hours a day. Yes, being old and having to wear reading glasses sucks the big one, but at least with a kindle you can hold the 'book' in one hand in whatever comfy position works for you to avoid those old person aches and pains.

Cindysphinx
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I tried to use my husband's Kindle, but the problem was that it was my husband's Kindle. So I would slog through some portion of Anna Karenina, then he would use it and lose my place.

I need my own Kindle, clearly.

I don't generally like to watch ads. But I like these high-stakes Superbowl Ads, where you know someone's career is on the line. There's something about watching the result of someone's professional endeavor and imagining how I would have done it differently, guessing about why they made the decisions they did, reaching my conclusions about what worked and what didn't . . .

I guess I just like to look over other people's shoulders while they work.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go to Home Depot.

I was cleaning all of the bugs out of the light fixture over the table (remove Halogen bulb, take masking tape, make a ball with the sticky side out, grab the tape ball with chopsticks, swirl it around in the fixture to snag the bugs) and the halogen bulb in the fixture exploded when I put it back in. Shot sparks all over the kitchen and got my son in the face, and blew the fuse.

Gotta go buy a new bulb. If you never hear from me again, assume I was electrocuted.

Which means my husband will be hosting a wake, not a Superbowl Party.

Steady Eddy
02-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I tried to use my husband's Kindle, but the problem was that it was my husband's Kindle. So I would slog through some portion of Anna Karenina, then he would use it and lose my place.

Bookmark it. Just press "menu" and one of the choices will be "add a bookmark". When it adds the bookmark it even makes it look like the corner of the page got folded, :) . Later, just go to "search my notes and marks" to find the pages you marked.

I need my own Kindle, clearly.
Yes, but still I hope you now know how to use the bookmark feature.

heycal
02-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Bookmark it. Just press "menu" and one of the choices will be "add a bookmark". When it adds the bookmark it even makes it look like the corner of the page got folded, :) . Later, just go to "search my notes and marks" to find the pages you marked.

Yes, but still I hope you now know how to use the bookmark feature.

Unless he was also reading Anna Karenina on the kindle, which I suppose is quite possible since he is reputedly a member of the same club, you shouldn't have do any fancy bookmarking stuff. I never have. Kindle automatically remembers your page without you doing a thing; just one of the many, many great things about kindle.

Did you get one yet, Steady? My kindle 3 is holding up well, though I do notice minor and intermittant annoying quirks regarding page breaks when reading the New York Times or the New Yorker (both of which I subscribe to on kindle.)

Steady Eddy
02-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Unless he was also reading Anna Karenina on the kindle, which I suppose is quite possible since he is reputedly a member of the same club, you shouldn't have do any fancy bookmarking stuff. I never have. Kindle automatically remembers your page without you doing a thing; just one of the many, many great things about kindle.
Right, it remembers where you last where in each book automatically, but, like you said, if her husband is reading the same book, then that feature wouldn't help. The bookmark would. It's easy, not what I would call "fancy".

Did you get one yet, Steady? My kindle 3 is holding up well, though I do notice minor and intermittant annoying quirks regarding page breaks when reading the New York Times or the New Yorker (both of which I subscribe to on kindle.)
Yeah, it's just says "amazon kindle", so I don't know if it's #3 or what. When I see a book I like, I press a button and I have it in seconds! :)

heycal
02-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, it's just says "amazon kindle", so I don't know if it's #3 or what.

Is it black, and a recent purchase that cost between 140 and 189 bucks? If so, it's what informally called the kindle 3. Makes the kindle 2 seem like a model T in comparison.

Are you a whiz on this thing? There's a question I have about the "collections" feature that the manual doesn't address.

When I see a book I like, I press a button and I have it in seconds! :)

It's a brilliant money maker for those folks, huh? I've spent more on books in the last 3 months than I have in the last 5 years.

Steady Eddy
02-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Is it black, and a recent purchase that cost between 140 and 189 bucks? If so, it's what informally called the kindle 3. Makes the kindle 2 seem like a model T in comparison.
Good, then I have kindle 3 and the picture is good, and it's very compact.

Are you a whiz on this thing? There's a question I have about the "collections" feature that the manual doesn't address.

Nope, but I'll pass along something I learned when mine locked up. When that happens hold the power switch open for 10 seconds, it's like rebooting a computer.

8F93W5
02-04-2011, 09:53 PM
........This particular book club meeting is on Feb. 6, the only time when folks were available. Yeah. Super Bowl Sunday. At 7:00. Which means I will miss the whole Superbowl.....

You're lucky. In my kind of work, and a lot of other people's, it's not uncommon to miss them all. I'm a butcher. Each year I get to see or hear about an hour of the show during lunch and almost always miss the end.
Unless your favorite team is involved, it's not that big a deal. BUT whoever scheduled the book event on that day & time is a real dufuss. I say do it Saturday or last week, or next week, or at 8 AM Sunday.

I actually get to see it this year. An unexpected minor surgery became nescessary and I get a few weeks off.

dParis
02-05-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm a butcher.
We don't see a lot of butchers around these parts. Nice of you to stop by.

I have a few questions I'd like your input on:
1.) Does your profession have a magazine or some sort of publication specific to the field?
2.) Are there such people considered "celebrity butchers" in your field?
3.) What types and brand of knives do you use at work/home?

Thanks.

Enjoy the Super Bowl.

Cindysphinx
02-05-2011, 08:46 AM
For you Kindle folks . . .

Isn't it amazing how the record industry (and now the publishing industry) has managed to get us to buy their product over and over and over as technology changed?

There are songs that I purchased on vinyl. Then on cassette. Then on CD. And now on Ipod.

And now my book-loving husband is buying books we already own on the Kindle. Gotcha!!

I think I am not mentally there yet with the Kindle. I wanted to get Laura Hillenbrand's latest. I told my husband, and he said he would get it on the Kindle.

I still haven't "opened" the book. Whenever I want the book, someone else has the Kindle. That whole experience of putting the book on the nightstand and reading a bit before turning in doesn't work well when I need to go to my husband's briefcase in the trunk of his car to fetch the Kindle.

I need my own Kindle . . . .

Now if you'll excuse me, it's off to Costco to buy more folding chairs and maybe a couple of TV trays. On a Saturday. Ugh.

jswinf
02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Gotta go buy a new bulb. If you never hear from me again, assume I was electrocuted.

It'd be a crying shame, but it does sound like an interesting combination...Be nice to have a fine big box with a lid to set the chips and dip and wings on.

Steady Eddy
02-05-2011, 03:10 PM
For you Kindle folks . . .

Isn't it amazing how the record industry (and now the publishing industry) has managed to get us to buy their product over and over and over as technology changed?

There are songs that I purchased on vinyl. Then on cassette. Then on CD. And now on Ipod.

And now my book-loving husband is buying books we already own on the Kindle. Gotcha!!

This is misleading. I've been listening to an audio-book about Google. It says that Ipods and buying songs on-line pretty much destroyed the record industry. It looks like Kindle and its clones will do the same to bookstores.

Sure, the bookstores are selling their own brand of Kindle like devices. They might as well get something out of this change. But in the long run those things probably mean the end of bookstores as we know them.

heycal
02-05-2011, 04:55 PM
^^^
I think the analogy is faulty for another reason. While Cindy's husband may be buying books he already owns, I can't imagine that's a widespread practice. I assume most people are like me, buying books they don't own, and also buying more of them because of ease of consumption.

Further, I'm downloading a lot of public domain novels for free, and thus it's unlikely I'll ever spend another penny in a Barnes and Noble on a classic literature paperback, as I did sometimes in the past.

I think bookstores will suffer from e-readers, and probably libraries unless they adapt somehow, but the publishers and authors may well benefit from them. I know I'm certainly spending more on 'books' than I ever did. (Nor am I 'stealing' them like people do with music.)

Oh, and btw, my librarian girlfriend is NOT happy I have a kindle..

Sentinel
02-05-2011, 07:26 PM

dear dear Cindy,
Hope all is well, don't see any more posts so asking.

I accidentally saw the telly at my cousin's place and learned the Superbowl final is on Sunday. I might try to catch it. The last time i saw the superbowl/football was in 1984 when i was in the US. Doug Flutie i remember scoring in the last second.

ruerooo
02-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Cindy -- whose husband just told her he is going out of town tomorrow and so won't be able to do much to get the house ready

:shock:

Yeah.

Based on this? It would be borscht, "Russian chili", and people using their imaginations.

Unless one enjoys making a martyr of oneself.

How did it go?

pc1
02-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I played some doubles this past Saturday morning followed by some singles on Sunday morning (Super Bowl Sunday) when I see a voice mail from a good friend. The man needed a fourth for doubles and it is from 6 pm to 8 pm so I agreed to fill in. My wife also told me after the doubles to pick up some stuff at the Supermarket and some take out food at a restaurant.

So ironically I missed most of the Super Bowl for the first time ever. I did catch the last few minutes.

CCNM
02-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I was working on a paper for one of my college classes so I didn't watch it either. All I saw was Christine Aguilara mumbling the national anthem.

sureshs
02-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Did not see it till half-time, due to playing tennis for 2.5 hours followed by a relaxed early dinner at a restaurant. Then, did not pay attention to the post half-time telecast either hehehe.

Much better to play tennis than watch and munch in an unhealthy way.

Cindysphinx
02-07-2011, 11:26 AM
It went pretty well, on the whole.

I can now see why my friends wanted to go with the Russian theme. One couple showed up in authentic Russian peasant attire, complete with gigantic fur hat for the man. (They lived in Russia for a while and he still travels there for work). Apparently they created quite a stir in Whole Foods on the way to my house.

Guests brought caviar, vodka, champagne and all sorts of Eastern European/Russian cuisine. It was a lot of fun, I have to admit. The baked cod with onions was delicious, and I will definitely make it again.

And now my husband and I can enjoy a sparkling clean house. Until the kids trash it.

Next book: Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent." Right up my alley.

pc1
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM

I can now see why my friends wanted to go with the Russian theme. One couple showed up in authentic Russian peasant attire, complete with gigantic fur hat for the man. (They lived in Russia for a while and he still travels there for work). Apparently they created quite a stir in Whole Foods on the way to my house.

Guests brought caviar, vodka, champagne and all sorts of Eastern European/Russian cuisine. It was a lot of fun, I have to admit. The baked cod with onions was delicious, and I will definitely make it again.

And now my husband and I can enjoy a sparkling clean house. Until the kids trash it.

Glad it worked out well.:)

Did not see it till half-time, due to playing tennis for 2.5 hours followed by a relaxed early dinner at a restaurant. Then, did not pay attention to the post half-time telecast either hehehe.

Much better to play tennis than watch and munch in an unhealthy way.

I think you're right.

sureshs
02-07-2011, 02:11 PM

What about the orgies that the Czars used to have prior to the Revolution?

max
02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Cindy, if you find you like Bryson, try Horwitz' Confederates in the Attic; a sure conversation starter down your way. Me, I played hockey with my son yesterday.