PDA

View Full Version : Who's the REAL "America's Team"?

soyizgood
01-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Cowboys
Packers
Steelers

r2473
01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
http://www.globalgiants.com/archives/fotos10/U.STeamGroup-02.jpg

Ronaldo
01-31-2011, 08:16 PM
U cannot b serious?

soyizgood
01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
U cannot b serious?

The Cowboys named themselves "America's Team" back in the mid 70's and you still have TV stations referring to them as that. I HATE the Cowboys and will never refer to them as such.

jamesblakefan#1
01-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Raiders

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=kreidler/101111

soyizgood
01-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Raiders

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=kreidler/101111

Raider's haven't been relevant in ages. They were called "America's Dumbest Team" by then head coach Callahan. Al Davis recently changed the motto to "Just Cut It Loose." Even that hasn't helped them win the weakest division in the AFC. "Just Win... Maybe" or "Just Cut It Out" is more appropriate. ;)

babolat33
01-31-2011, 09:52 PM
patriots end of discussion, cant really get more american then that

jamesblakefan#1
01-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Raider's haven't been relevant in ages. They were called "America's Dumbest Team" by then head coach Callahan. Al Davis recently changed the motto to "Just Cut It Loose." Even that hasn't helped them win the weakest division in the AFC. "Just Win... Maybe" or "Just Cut It Out" is more appropriate. ;)

Whom are you a fan of?

soyizgood
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Whom are you a fan of?

49ers. Still a fan even though our owners make Donald Sterling look like a genius.

jamesblakefan#1
01-31-2011, 11:14 PM
49ers. Still a fan even though our owners make Donald Sterling look like a genius.

Yeah and even the Raiders have made it to the SB this century. :?

JustBob
02-01-2011, 12:36 AM
The Cowboys named themselves "America's Team" back in the mid 70's and you still have TV stations referring to them as that. I HATE the Cowboys and will never refer to them as such.

The Cowboys never named themselves "America's Team". The nickname was coined by the NFL Film narrator of their 1978 highlights film. The name stuck the following season when a CBS announcer introduced the Cowboys as "America's Team" in their opening game (televised). Tom Landry didn't even like the nickname.

Geez, I'm not even American and I know this. :)

PCXL-Fan
02-01-2011, 12:53 AM
The Hamburg Blue Devils
http://www.hamburgbluedevils.eu/
4 Time GBC Champions. 3 Consecutive Time EBC Champions.

Kevin T
02-01-2011, 07:28 AM
I voted Steelers. I've lived in the South, *******, mid-atlantic and California and have never experienced a scarcity of Pittsburgh fans. They really are everywhere.

ollinger
02-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Notre Dame

PeterPanda
02-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Notre Dame

NO!!! NOT A CHANCE!!!!!!!:evil: The NEW YORK YANKEES:)!!!

angharad
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
In the NFL...whoever won the Super Bowl last. They tend to have the most hangers-on and publicity.

T1000
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Packers no doubt

tricky
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd say Steelers by a nose, but Cowboys, Packers, Raiders, and Steelers are all in that first tier mix.

I personally suspect Raider Nation is biggest of all, but no way the NFL will ever acknowledge their existence. ;)

soyizgood
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah and even the Raiders have made it to the SB this century. :?

The 49ers accomplished more in 20 years ('81-'00) than the Raiders have in their almost 50 year existence. Raiders' "Commitment to Excellence" my butt. 49ers 5-0 in super bowls, including 15-1 ('84) and 14-2 ('89) seasons that have been ranked among the best of all-time. The Niners were the "Benevolent Empire" folks hated, but also envied and attempted to imitate. Heck the Niners went 20 straight years giving up less than 300 pts in a season.

How many teams tried to do their own "West Coast Offense"? The 49ers were setting the trend under Walsh, but went downhill bit by bit after Seifert quit. That and having the York's take over = perpetual doom.

Not hating on the Raiders as they have a long list of hall of famers. But their glory days are from an age when most TT folks weren't even born. Flores (who?) has more SB rings than Madden.

Touch of Grey
02-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Oakland Raiders?

jamesblakefan#1
02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
The 49ers accomplished more in 20 years ('81-'00) than the Raiders have in their almost 50 year existence. Raiders' "Commitment to Excellence" my butt. 49ers 5-0 in super bowls, including 15-1 ('84) and 14-2 ('89) seasons that have been ranked among the best of all-time. The Niners were the "Benevolent Empire" folks hated, but also envied and attempted to imitate. Heck the Niners went 20 straight years giving up less than 300 pts in a season.

How many teams tried to do their own "West Coast Offense"? The 49ers were setting the trend under Walsh, but went downhill bit by bit after Seifert quit. That and having the York's take over = perpetual doom.

Not hating on the Raiders as they have a long list of hall of famers. But their glory days are from an age when most TT folks weren't even born. Flores (who?) has more SB rings than Madden.

Look I don't want to get in a measuring match here. The Raiders and Niners have both been pretty sh tty the past 7 years or so, so there's no argument there.

It's whatever, I don't get too wrapped up into it anymore. I'm a Raiders fan, but I don't base my entire existence on their successes/failures unlike some others do around here. It is what it is.

Back onto topic - I posted the Raiders as America's team as a joke - it's a pretty arrogant label to have, just means that you have the most bandwagon fans ala the Saints last year. Steelers fans are pretty loyal, but it's easy to be so when you win all the time. I know a lot of Cowboys fans hiding in the shadows after last year. In this generation, there is no real 'America's TEam' w/ the internet and Sunday Ticket, people are going to support who they like regardless, not who's on TV the most. That's why I'm a kid from VA who's a Raiders fan. Go figure. :?

tricky
02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Raider Nation is the scum of the earth. It's awesome being a Raiders fan. ;) I followed both the Niners and Raiders, basically the good and evil of mankind right there.

The Raiders are kind of special in that the team is really identified with their nationwide fanbase. When you say "Raider fan", there's an immediate image that comes with that. There's even a way you say the word "Raider", kinda like how metal fans say "Slayer." Raider is basically the Slayer of football. :D

Kevin T
02-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Raider Nation is the scum of the earth. It's awesome being a Raiders fan. ;) I followed both the Niners and Raiders, basically the good and evil of mankind right there.

The Raiders are kind of special in that the team is really identified with their nationwide fanbase. When you say "Raider fan", there's an immediate image that comes with that. There's even a way you say the word "Raider", kinda like how metal fans say "Slayer." Raider is basically the Slayer of football. :D

Raider fan= IQ of beef jerky. The Old Milwaukee of NFL fans. I'm from the east coast and grew up a Bears fan but now live in Cali. Of all the stadiums I've been to/fans I've had to deal with, Raider Nation is the worst. And that's saying a lot because I went to quite a few Eagles games with Redskin and Giant fans at the old Vet. Don't even think about taking a kid to a Raider game, even if they're visiting your home stadium...they'll find a way to class it down as much as possible, curse and swear, start fights, etc.. :) Ask a Niners fan about dealing with Raider fans/Oakland's stadium...like going to a third world country. Basically English Hooliganism on the west coast.

Fifth Set
02-02-2011, 09:14 AM
I'd say Steelers by a nose, but Cowboys, Packers, Raiders, and Steelers are all in that first tier mix.

I personally suspect Raider Nation is biggest of all, but no way the NFL will ever acknowledge their existence. ;)

You cannot be serious.

The Raiders can't even sell out one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL.

If it ever seems like there are alot of Raider fans, it's only because those few Raider fans are really loud and annoying. Almost universally.

They are the Ron Paul of the NFL.

Kevin T
02-02-2011, 09:17 AM
You cannot be serious.

The Raiders can't even sell out one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL.

If it ever seems like there are alot of Raider fans, it's only because those few Raider fans are really loud and annoying. Almost universally.

They are the Ron Paul of the NFL.

Agreed. No way in Hades it's the Raiders. Their gear was popular back in the day because wanna-be tough guys liked the silver/black colors. There's a reason the LA Kings changed their color scheme to silver/black=jersey sales and notoriety.

tricky
02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Ask a Niners fan about dealing with Raider fans/Oakland's stadium...like going to a third world country.I lived in East Bay and took the BART on Sundays . . . they're an interesting bunch. ;)

Raiders have trouble selling out games at Oakland for various reasons. Team sucks. Stadium sucks. Casual Raider fans are scared of violent Raider fans. Football tix are expensive, and Oakland isn't exactly well-to-do.

But, as a national fanbase, let's just say Al Davis's best move was choosing silver and black as the jersey colors. ;) The Raiders are truly a brand.

Kevin T
02-02-2011, 10:00 AM
I lived in East Bay and took the BART on Sundays . . . they're an interesting bunch. ;)

Raiders have trouble selling out games at Oakland for various reasons. Team sucks. Stadium sucks. Casual Raider fans are scared of violent Raider fans. Football tix are expensive, and Oakland isn't exactly well-to-do.

But, as a national fanbase, let's just say Al Davis's best move was choosing silver and black as the jersey colors. ;) The Raiders are truly a brand.

I wasn't aware there were "casual" Raider fans, Tricky. :)

Ronaldo
02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
I wasn't aware there were "casual" Raider fans, Tricky. :)

Checkout Straight outta LA, http://30for30.espn.com/film/straight-outta-la.html