PDA

View Full Version : Hooooo-ray for winter weather...

SlapShot
02-01-2011, 07:27 PM
So, driving home from tennis last night after we had had a nice dusting of light, powdery snow resulted in a little winter excitement for me:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs897.ash1/180535_621128895952_40103287_35454451_657101_n.jpg

There was a nice mix of dry pavement and snow which caused my front tires to catch pavement and my back tires to slip, spinning me at low speed into a highway barrier. Escaped unharmed....I'm totally impressed with the VW safety features. Just has made for an interesting 24 hours for sure. :)

Steady Eddy
02-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I hate winter. :mad: It's 48 degrees right now. It's expected to get to 29 degrees tonight!! I had to cover a plant with a frost blanket tonight, and it was cold! Can't wait for it to be 100 degrees all the time again.

Jonny S&V
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
So, driving home from tennis last night after we had had a nice dusting of light, powdery snow resulted in a little winter excitement for me:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs897.ash1/180535_621128895952_40103287_35454451_657101_n.jpg

There was a nice mix of dry pavement and snow which caused my front tires to catch pavement and my back tires to slip, spinning me at low speed into a highway barrier. Escaped unharmed....I'm totally impressed with the VW safety features. Just has made for an interesting 24 hours for sure. :)

That's a drag... :(

I hate winter. :mad: It's 48 degrees right now. It's expected to get to 29 degrees tonight!! I had to cover a plant with a frost blanket tonight, and it was cold! Can't wait for it to be 100 degrees all the time again.

I ALMOST feel sorry for you... However, being in the middle of the huge snowstorm, and my university calling off classes for the second time in 38 years, I just can't...

HackersRUs
02-01-2011, 09:44 PM
count your blessings, folks, THIS is coming at our Northern Coast

http://www.bom.gov.au/gms/IDE00035.latest.shtml

just so you have some scale, look at this..

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870

chrischris
02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Extreme weather gets an unwelcome extra boost from the disruptions that extra heat causes.As weird as it may sound the overall global mean average temp increases spikes these things.

Douggo
02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Sorry to hear it, SlapShot. Glad you're okay.

SuperFly
02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I just had to snowblow out of 2 feet of snow, along with an extra few inches thanks to the drift. It took me 2 hours :mad:

maverick66
02-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I just had to snowblow out of 2 feet of snow, along with an extra few inches thanks to the drift. It took me 2 hours :mad:

I did that yesterday and then a plow truck was nice enough to mess it up. I was finally finished and then I wasnt.:(

Mansewerz
02-02-2011, 01:23 PM

I'm guessing you guys are getting out tomorrow too. I know we are :)

max
02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
I don't know, it's easy to take this in a negative way, the snow, but heck, it's good, too: people around here have enjoyed the excitement, the modest thrill of fear of Old Man Winter. . .

. . . and of course, some of us, max included, like proving just how tough we are.

Valley Forge was colder, I say!

SuperFly
02-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm guessing you guys are getting out tomorrow too. I know we are :)

Yeah, tomorrow's off too. Snow tennis anyone?

PeterPanda
02-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Where do you live it's 25 degrees right now in CT

SuperFly
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Boo hoo. The high tomorrow for Chicago is 15 degrees.

heycal
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
There was a nice mix of dry pavement and snow which caused my front tires to catch pavement and my back tires to slip, spinning me at low speed into a highway barrier.

The pavement and snow caused your accident? Who was driving?

Arizona.

Jaewonnie
02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
The Groundhog Day storm passed our city today. Dumped a nice foot of snow.

Manus Domini
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM

wow you guys are weak against cold. I was rolling my sleeves up here in NJ to deal with ice-water and ice-shoveling.

LeeD
02-02-2011, 05:43 PM
And how can I be unhappy with 70 degrees, clear blue skies, nites around 45, no wind (boo hoo, I"m a windsurfer), and working 4 hours a week.

SlapShot
02-02-2011, 06:11 PM
The pavement and snow caused your accident? Who was driving?

Oh, you are soooooo adorable cal.

I was driving, and being that I've driven in 12 Minnesota winters with nary an issue, I know how to navigate snow. The snow we had Sunday into Monday was a light powder, which is the nastiest stuff to drive on. I came around an onramp at a more than responsible speed (there is no way I was traveling at over 20 mph) and my front wheels hit dry pavement (the highway) before my rear wheels, causing my back end to break loose and spin on me. I won't say that I wasn't at fault, but I was hardly being irresponsible given the conditions.

Also, upon re-reading my story, nowhere did I say that the snow CAUSED my accident. The snow CAUSED a chain of events, which combined with the conditions underfoot and my own reactions (or lack thereof) resulted in my car being out of my own control.

heycal
02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I came around an onramp at a more than responsible speed

The damage to your car suggests it wasn't a responsible speed.

The snow CAUSED a chain of events, which combined with the conditions underfoot and my own reactions (or lack thereof) resulted in my car being out of my own control.

The snow caused the chain events, or your misjudgment of how to drive in the snow that day caused the chain of events?

Steady Eddy
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
wow you guys are weak against cold. I was rolling my sleeves up here in NJ to deal with ice-water and ice-shoveling.
I know I am, that's why I moved here. I hate it when people here complain about the heat. They gotta expect AZ to be hot. We don't expect wind chills in the teens. I haven't experienced this much cold weather in decades.

Sentinel
02-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Eww. Am in the tropics and grateful that winter is sort of over. The days are nice and toasty outside, but still cold inside.
Look forward to a nice spring.

mikeler
02-03-2011, 05:57 AM
It was 80 degrees here yesterday and humid.

0d1n
02-03-2011, 06:15 AM
For a couple of weeks it has been between -15 and -20 (Celsius) around here during the night and -10 to -15 during the day.
And yet...I played for 3 hours this morning (indoors obviously :p)

http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html

I don't do Fahrenheit check on your own :).

Sorry to hear that OP... :|

bluegrasser
02-03-2011, 06:32 AM
It's been brutal ' Slapshot" - thank God for winter indoor tennis, btw - played against T.L. lately ? I'm gonna give the YT Pro Prestige another shot - what's your setup on yours..

tennytive
02-03-2011, 07:24 AM
I spent over 7 hours shoveling out our driveway yesterday and still am only 2/3 finished. Now I have "snow" elbow on top of my tennis elbow.

Winter is my least favorite season. I envy LeeD, although he works too much.

SlapShot
02-03-2011, 08:12 AM
The damage to your car suggests it wasn't a responsible speed.

The fact that it was a cable barrier is what caused the damage seen. My airbags did not deploy and it was a head-on collision should tell you how "fast" I was going, being that they typically deploy at anything over 20 mph.

The snow caused the chain events, or your misjudgment of how to drive in the snow that day caused the chain of events?

Again, I am not saying that I was not responsible for the accident, but it was hardly a "misjudgement" of the conditions. I've been driving in snow for 12 years - it's hardly something new to me. Argue if you want, but if you slip a little and your front tires become a fulcrum (as mine did by hitting pavement and gaining traction), there's little that can avoid the outcome that I had.

It's been brutal ' Slapshot" - thank God for winter indoor tennis, btw - played against T.L. lately ? I'm gonna give the YT Pro Prestige another shot - what's your setup on yours..

I haven't played TL or LW since we played in a USTA match a month or so ago - my partner and I won out in 3 sets.

I'm actually using the Prestige Mid myself - I have it strung up with Luxilon BB Ace at 60#. I have tried the MG Pro, but never the YT - the MG is nice, but still not quite as nice as the mid.

heycal
02-03-2011, 10:19 PM
but it was hardly a "misjudgement" of the conditions.

No? Are you saying you correctly judged the conditions?

0d1n
02-04-2011, 12:47 AM

WOW...just...WOW.

chrischris
02-04-2011, 02:39 AM
This massive winter storm proves that Global warming and climate change is no more.
What happens to us is what happens to the world.
When my pocket is empty so is the world economy.
When day turns into night the sun is gone forever.
Its quite simple.

Manus Domini
02-04-2011, 05:41 AM
I know I am, that's why I moved here. I hate it when people here complain about the heat. They gotta expect AZ to be hot. We don't expect wind chills in the teens. I haven't experienced this much cold weather in decades.

I would die in AZ :lol:

way too hot there

FloridaAG
02-04-2011, 05:45 AM
VW's have very solid frames and do well in crashes. My wife had a massive crash in a Cabrio and the car held up very well. Of course, the car's electrical system was a disaster and it was always in the shop

SlapShot
02-04-2011, 07:13 AM

Having put lots of miles on in the snow, you learn to respect it's potential. I hardly took the snow/weather for granted. What I did not do, however, was anticipate that there would be such a difference between the traction on snow and on plowed and salted pavement.

In this case, nobody truly won. Looks like no one is going to win this argument either. So, guess that solves that....

VW's have very solid frames and do well in crashes. My wife had a massive crash in a Cabrio and the car held up very well. Of course, the car's electrical system was a disaster and it was always in the shop

I was very pleased with how mine handled the crash. Crazy enough, I'm again looking at a CPO VDub - my Golf was a service nightmare, but I would have bumper-to-bumper for 3 years on this one....

heycal
02-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Having put lots of miles on in the snow, you learn to respect it's potential. I hardly took the snow/weather for granted. What I did not do, however, was anticipate that there would be such a difference between the traction on snow and on plowed and salted pavement.

In other words, you misjudged the conditions.

Guilty as charged. Next case!

SlapShot
02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
In other words, you misjudged the conditions.

Guilty as charged. Next case!

OK, you got me.

You seem to have a personal vendetta. Either that or you're just. that. bored.

Did you break a hip from the 130 lb weight bouncing around? ;)

dParis
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
For a couple of weeks it has been between -15 and -20 (Celsius) around here during the night and -10 to -15 during the day.
And yet...I played for 3 hours this morning (indoors obviously :p)

http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html

I don't do Fahrenheit check on your own :).

-40 might be a little chilly, but the nice thing is it's the same in both languages (C/F). :)

max
02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I would die in AZ :lol:

way too hot there

I feel the same way. YOu know, whenever it's cold, of course I start thinking of the tropics.

THEN come summer you start getting the reports of how blazing, scorching hot it all is down South. Not my bag.

GRANITECHIEF
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Winter in my town is usually pretty mild.

http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=48370

But i'm ready for some snow up in the mountains.

dParis
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
THEN come summer you start getting the reports of how blazing, scorching hot it all is down South. Not my bag.
Definitely my bag, baby.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la8yg7awRz1qb3p14o1_500.jpg

PeterPanda
02-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Boo hoo. The high tomorrow for Chicago is 15 degrees.

It was below zero when i walked (on the ice) to get to my bus.:(

CCNM
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Oh no! My brother, who lives in DeKalb, Il. sent us a photo of his neighbor's buried car. We had a good laugh at it. In Albuquerque, New Mexico it was 14 degrees for the HIGH!!!!! Was your car buried as well? SlapShot-sorry about your car-I would think Minnesotans would have experience driving in snow and ice. :|

heycal
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
OK, you got me.

You seem to have a personal vendetta.

Not at all. Everybody makes mistakes, as you did that day.:)

Did you break a hip from the 130 lb weight bouncing around? ;)

Nah, still hanging in there. But it was a 125 pound weight, which is reportedly 122 lbs now.