PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Philipines

Tennis_baller
06-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey I just got back from a month long vacation in the Philipines. I just wanted to say that I liked the tennis CAuse courts are cheap, there are always people there playing, there is always a crowd watching and betting, there is always a cheap ballboy, and there is most of the time a cheap umpire. Here is how it is in Boaz, Alabama: My family is the only ones who play tennis one the courts and nobody even watches the tournaments.
Well, I'm done.

Tennis_baller
06-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Sorry, wrong section.

TwistServe
06-14-2005, 07:39 PM
So there are ballboys and umpires at regular club matches? You pay them to pick up the balls for you? Are there any really good players.. like almost pro or aspiring pros.

Jack Romeo
06-15-2005, 02:57 AM
yeah almost every court here has ballboys and umpires. actually, in many clubs, the ballboys or the trainors can also be assigned as umpires. most ballboys are paid on a per-match basis. if it's a practice session, then you pay them per hour.

sorry to say, there are no pro-level or even aspiring pro-level players in the regular clubs. there are a few 5.0-5.5's or the equivalent thereof. the very few that have some kind of pro potential are training in philippine tennis association's training center at the rizal memorial stadium. and even they can't compete very well at the satellite level. most of the satellite tournaments held here are won by players from other countries like australia, china or eastern europe.

Tennis_baller
06-15-2005, 03:31 AM
OH yeah, shell courts too.

dbnet03
06-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I visited the country last year and ballboys are available pretty cheap. Some of them can play too - I almost lost to this ball boy wearing a "tsinelas" (slippers).

Tennis_baller
06-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah. while I was down there, my brother got tired and quit one me. My mom asked the ballboy to play with me. ( oh yeah in case you didn't know I'm only 14) he was pretty good and he too was wearing tsinelas. (hehe cool, I knew that word but I didn't know it was spelled like that) I was born there but moved to the us when I was 10 months. My parents speak tagolog and bisaya. but I don't :(

finchy
06-16-2005, 08:16 PM
isnt it pronounced "chin-eh-lass"? lol, my aunt always wants people to wear slippers because their marble floor is cold.

mabuhay
06-17-2005, 09:07 AM
cool! i've never played in shell courts before. i'll bring my racquet when i take my vacation to the philippines. where did you play? manila? was the club any good?

Tennis_baller
06-17-2005, 09:36 AM
No not in Manila. I played in clubs around Butuan City, Cabadbaran, and Cebu City. THey were all right. cheap anyway.

mabuhay
06-17-2005, 09:47 AM
No not in Manila. I played in clubs around Butuan City, Cabadbaran, and Cebu City. THey were all right. cheap anyway.

oh i see. yeah, cheap for us but probably not for them :) if you have some pics, post them in the "your picture..." thread under "Odds & Ends"... but only if you want to :)

Tennis_baller
06-17-2005, 10:33 AM
oh i see. yeah, cheap for us but probably not for them :) if you have some pics, post them in the "your picture..." thread under "Odds & Ends"... but only if you want to :)
I didn't take any. And yeah, everything there is cheap to us but not 4 them. sucks don't it :(