PDA

View Full Version : Partner helping my volleys with groundstrokes

Rickson
06-14-2005, 10:04 PM
I played some doubles today and had a good volley day on my own approach shots, but my partner was frustrating me by hitting the ball very close to the net. I told him that he was setting me up like a sitting duck and that he should hit at least past the service box. I'm glad he listened because as his returns became sharper and went past the box, I had a volleying field day. If your partner is returning short, tell him/her to hit the ball deeper and you'll be in a much better position to volley and poach because of the extra distance on your opponents' return.

Meat
06-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Why don't you ask him to move up to the net? Or at least move up on one of those deep shots.

Rickson
06-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Why don't you ask him to move up to the net? Or at least move up on one of those deep shots.
I did all the volleying today because he's very and I mean very bad at the net. I once had a streak of beating him 37 straight games (6 sets plus 1 more game in the 7th set) so he's not the best guy to play the net with side by side.

TwistServe
06-14-2005, 10:30 PM
When ya got a weak partner you two should be at the baseline bombing groundstrokes... And move in when you get an "easy" volley... A groundstroke winner is cooler to watch anyway.. and in the game of tennis, coolness rules all!

TwistServe
06-14-2005, 10:33 PM
I did all the volleying today because he's very and I mean very bad at the net. I once had a streak of beating him 37 straight games (6 sets plus 1 more game in the 7th set) so he's not the best guy to play the net with side by side.

My friend that played highschool tennis for 4 years introduced me to tennis a while back. After about 6 months I started beating him every now and then.. We keep track of how many sets we've won against each other.. I think its 16 to 2 over last quarter of last year LoL.. It feels when the apprentice takes out his master. Now the apprentice is the master!

Rickson
06-14-2005, 10:34 PM
When ya got a weak partner you two should be at the baseline bombing groundstrokes... And move in when you get an "easy" volley... A groundstroke winner is cooler to watch anyway.. and in the game of tennis, coolness rules all!
TS, who do you think the opposing team is gonna hit to? I refuse to share baseline space with him because I'd have to jump out in front of him so rather than do something that obviously says, "sorry partner, you suck", why not just cut off as many balls at the net as possible? We wound up winning anyway, 6-3.