PDA

View Full Version : Relation between grip size and play style?

krp312
06-15-2005, 02:14 AM
I was just wondering if there's a correlation between your gripsize and your play style. What I mean is that it seems that people that hit with top spin on their groundstrokes seem to have smaller grip sizes. People that play with flatter strokes seem to have larger grip sizes. Is this a known fact? Is it wrong?

sandro
06-15-2005, 02:21 AM
I think you're right.
Personally, if I use a very large grip I can't "release" the wrist and this affects the amount of topspin I'm able to impart. The shot is more flat and seems more solid.
I tried playing with a large grip to correct my tendency to use too much topspin even when I needed to flatten out, but my wrist started to hurt. I went back to a more reasonable grip size, and I'm working to my technique more and more to reach my goals.

TheGreatBernie
06-15-2005, 02:33 AM
I can't hit with any grip smaller than a 4 1/2. The racket will slip or spin in my hand. I also hold the racket at the very end with the butt corner in my palm. With that I can flick my wrist a lot if need be.

J.O
06-15-2005, 06:13 AM
I think you should have a grip size that suits your hand. As long as it feels comfortable, you can play any style you want...

tom-selleck
06-15-2005, 06:36 AM
i agree........ larger grip = less topspin and the hit feels really nice, but hard to keep ball in the court.... also, i think i got horrible tennis elbow from a large grip. my theory being that wrist doesn't get into shot much so you try to add spin to ball with elbow action - very bad. JUST a theory though.

i read on here that you should play the smallest grip possible (i.e. that you can play well with). i am always surprised at how small pro's grips are.

i concur with one poster as i also am having a hard time hitting hard and flat with a smaller grip, but frankly i think it's partly commitment to the shot. easier and lazier sp? just to flick that topspin.

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-15-2005, 06:37 AM
I won't go into the story on how I discovered this but, I found that a swing which goes from low to high causes less twsit to the racquet. While a flatter swing causes more twisting, for me atleast. [although one thing I noticed was that my BH never slipped]

I also found the racquet slipped less with a grip which allows for that one finger rule. [slightly larger than normal?].

If this is a general case, maybe players who like to play with alot of top spin gravitate to smaller grips to allow more pronation [and won't have to deal with twisting].

edit: must have posted at the same time. I found that the smaller grip caused me tennis elbow [pain at the elbow atleast], probably from trying to grip it too hard.

POGO
06-15-2005, 06:48 AM
I think tennis elbow is caused not by grip size, but the stiffness of the racket, type of string used like polys and bad stroke mechanics.

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-15-2005, 06:56 AM
well if you have to grip the racquet too tightly then you will undoubtly have bad stroke mechanics :)

kevhen
06-15-2005, 07:13 AM
I think you are on the right track, smaller grips do allow for more topspin and less power, larger grips give you a little more power on groundstrokes, but I don't know if the correlation is all that strong, but there may be some. I use 5/8 but have big hands and tend to hit with just a little topspin. When I use 1/2 I can hit with more topspin but with less power. When I hit with 3/4 I couldn't generate much spin and lost speed on my serve so that is why I hit with 5/8.

paulfreda
06-16-2005, 02:17 AM
These are all erroneous generalizations IMHO.
I play with a 5.5 inch grip size and have for years.
I put two full grips over the existing grip and then an overgip.
The reasoning for me is that the increased surface area makes it easier to hold. Also it allows you to hold the grip with less force/lighter which is easier on your arm.

If holding a pencil is hard and holding a baseball bat is easy, why choose the smaller one ? If you try the Wonder Wedge you can see how a large grip makes it so mych easier to know where your racquet face is wrt to your hand.

Some say you cannot generate head speed with a large grip. That has not been a problem for me.

Marius_Hancu
06-16-2005, 05:49 AM
I think tennis elbow is caused not by grip size, but the stiffness of the racket, type of string used like polys and bad stroke mechanics.

still, grip size is mentioned (both too large and too small) as a source for TE.

Marius_Hancu
06-16-2005, 06:01 AM
I have a 6.0 85 4 3/8 (with no lead tape) with which I definitely get more topspin and racket head speed than my usual 6.0 85 4 5/8 (lead-taped to 410g) which is more favorable to flatter shots.

Also, yes, the 4 3/8 seems to make my elbow tender:-[

Difficult to say because it's a lighter racket, or the topspin I am trying to apply with it, or the grip.

mistapooh
06-16-2005, 11:18 AM
I think the larger grip makes it so there is less torquing when I hit or have a mishit. I tried my TiRad with its normal 4 3/8 grip and the "L" than ran along the inside of my thumb and index finger hurted a lot. Maybe because I end up trying to roll over the ball since the grip is smaller? With my normal grip, 5" or so, it just feels more comfortable and it does somewhat restrict my wristing.