PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good midplus

Tomek
04-22-2004, 07:13 AM
OK. First few worlds about me. My name is Tomek. :D I am 22, and play tennis for 10 years. I think I am about 4.5-5.5 NTRP (don't know the system too good) and I'm also an instructor (for half a year). I consider my self of an all-court player, with tendency to stay back. I play with topspin (not very heavy) and have two handed backhand. When I attack, I play flat or generate backspin on my BH-when going to net. I play both on(more often) clay and hard court.
Now, I'm a big fan of Prestige line racquets, but for at least 2 reasons I want to change my I.Prestige Mid. I would like a racquet that will be a little lighter (good for 2 and 3 set- but it should not more than 10-15g, but this is not so important as other factors. I can handle this weight) and a little more forgiving, (because I hit with a frame too often when I try to play hard with heavy spin and my BH is realy sore with it). So i want a racquet that would give me some more than possibility to shot with my FH...
I have I.Radical and don't like it at all. I had Wilson 5.0 and didn't like it. I've tried also a new Slazenger top model and don't like it. I'm also not a big fun of Yonex (could be wrong).
Now what can I buy? New LM.Prestige MP has very good ratings. But would I have that great feel that Mid Prestiges generate? I love this feeling but don't want to pay so much for it (in errors). Other racquets that I started to consider are:
- Voelkl Tour 10Mid+
- Babolat Pure Control Team (is it really that stiff? I need a flexible racquet because I tend to have a wrist pain.)
- Prince Tour Diablo MP
- Prince Tour NXG Graphite
I have problems with demooing racquets here in Poland. I can try Babolat and Head for sure. I rather can't try Voelk. And I'm not sure if I can buy Prince at all.
So what do you think? What should I buy or what racquet should I try :?: Consider that volleys are not that important to me.

Brent Pederson
04-22-2004, 07:21 AM
See if you can get hold of a Head PT 280 or 630. While the weight is almost the same as your prestige, it is a little larger head, a touch more power, and a nice soft feel that might be even better than the prestige. Also, they sell for very little (around $50 here in the states), so they won't break the bank.

Tomek
04-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Brent, thanks for reply.
I considered buying one of these two Heads, but I can't do it in Poland (upps, I didn't remember to say where I'm from) and would have to pay extra for shipping from US. So I decided even not to ask of these two very good frames.
Money is important to me but, I need maximally 2 racquets and have i.radical and i.prestige.Mid for sale. So I would not have to add so much :)

KFwinds
04-22-2004, 08:30 AM
I have a Prince NXG MP and it seems to be a great combination of power and control. Also worth mentioning are the Triple Threat Warrior and Response Ti.

babar
04-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Tomek,

I would recommend trying the Voelkl Catapult 10. It is the most comfortable racquet around and has all the features you listed. If it feels a little to light, maybe try the Voelkl V-engine 10 midsize (93 sq. in.). It is very flexible feeling and has good feel for the ball. Good Luck.

Tomek
04-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for new replies,

- KFwinds: Did you play with Prestige Mid? If you did, could you compare it to the NXG?

-babar: Voelkl Catapult 10 seems to be lighter and to have lower swingweight than TourMid+ so I would rather try this racquet. V-engine for the other hand is small (I mean the same size as my Prestige)- so it's not gonna help me :(

kreative
04-22-2004, 01:04 PM
thou the v-engine 10's head size is the same as the iprestige mid, it's slightly larger due to the extended "v" area. i also found it to be more forgiving, and have a larger sweetspot.

since you can only demo head/babolat, you should try out the pure control std (97"), LM prestige MP, and iprestige MP. you can venture further and try out the babolat pure drive std. and the LM instinct.

if you like volkl, i'd suggest the c-10 pro, cat 10, or the tour 10 mp.

brian.sat
04-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Pure Control Team std. should be a good choice for baseliner. Catapult 10 is so soft and has low power. One of our top player got sponser from Volkl and switch to it. His mighty first serve became 30% slower than before.

sanitarium
04-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey man.

" I would like a racquet that will be a little lighter (good for 2 and 3 set- but it should not more than 10-15g) and a little more forgiving, (because I hit with a frame too often when I try to play hard with heavy spin and my BH is realy sore with it). So i want a racquet that would give mo some more than possibility to shot with my FH... "

The LM Prestige is a very customizable racquet which is a plus, it is a light racquet which I think you're after - but also if you want it to be more solid you can just add weight so it's a win/win there. The LM Prestige is a more control orientated racquet compared to the I, I found I can put the shorts where I want them and the sweetspot is larger, well I thought so anyway so it will be more forgiving.

I used to use an I radical OS as well so I kinda know what you're talking about, the prestige has definitely more punch - the LM does make a difference but what I liked is there's even more control. I think it'd be a great racquet for you.

Tomek
04-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all who shared their thoughts :)
Any more :?:

Jaro
04-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Tomek, demo Prince MP. I've heard from Prince reseller in Poland that they will get these racquets in mid May. I've bought mine from TW. Send me an e-mail if you want more details.

Jarek

Tomek
04-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Jarek, you've got mail ( I did't write a subject)

KFwinds
04-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Tomek, I have not hit with the NEW Prestige, but I used to play with the Classic Mid and the i.Prestige. The Prince NXG midplus has a more dampened feel and is more forgiving. It also has more power. Hope this helps.

-Kevin

Baseline
04-23-2004, 11:23 AM
If at all possible, demo the Volkl Tour 10 MP.

Tomek
04-24-2004, 09:03 AM
If I would not have a possibility to demo these racquets I will take Voelkl Tour MP and add some lead tape in the throat area to maintain balance... It should be a good stick for me. :)

I think also about Babolat Pure Control Team Standard. But I a little bit shocked with it's stiffness 70. Is it really that stiff?