PDA

View Full Version : noam chomsky's take on sport

pushing_wins
02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
it offers something people could pay attention to, thats of no importance.

competitive sports build irrational attitudes of submission to authority

agree or disagree?

what is the essence and spirit of sport to you?

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=DOT8LULN

1:07

SuperFly
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Chomsky's taking "Brave New World" a little too far. I agree that we should be focused on politics and advancing ourselves (just look at the gridlock caused by partisan bickering right now,) but we can't let it become everything that we do. Look at our last few presidents; they use Camp David every few weeks. Chomsky also undermines sport's positives. It promotes teamwork, mental strength, the will to overcome and succeed, not to mention it's good for the body.

Sports distracts us, but it's necessary if we don't want to collectively lose our minds. Let's start getting up in arms when the government starts putting LSD in our water. ;)

Kobble
02-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Submission to authority? Doesn't school teach that more? I think so. Sports was my outlet to be who I wanted to be, rather than some profile of a fundamental civilian. I only participate in individual sports, anyway. Meaningless? To who, some guy who just wants to make another buck off of me? So I don't contribute to his bank account. Boo hoo for him.

ollinger
02-05-2011, 06:51 PM
The cart is before the horse. No, sports need not teach submission to authority because it is inherent, a genetically evolved trait necessity for survival in a species in which the young depend on the elders for more than a decade. Our sports are the result of this tendency, not the cause.

ahuimanu
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Wow, haven't heard of Noam Chomsky since my graduate school daze (i.e. Manufacturing consent). Will review and provide feedback...

it offers something people could pay attention to, thats of no importance.

sports build irrational attitudes of submission to authority

agree or disagree?

what is the essence and spirit of sport to you?

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=DOT8LULN

1:07

dParis
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
The cart is before the horse. No, sports need not teach submission to authority because it is inherent, a genetically evolved trait necessity for survival in a species in which the young depend on the elders for more than a decade. Our sports are the result of this tendency, not the cause.
Right? It reads as if submission to authority is a bad thing, while in reality that is not necessarily so.

r2473
02-05-2011, 07:51 PM
f*ck the police

RealityPolice
02-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Carl Sagan played basketball. That's good enough for me.

He viewed sports as a somewhat-necessary outlet for human energy, and a better way to exercise one's competitiveness than many other (more violent) outlets.

Bartelby
02-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Sport is a late nineteenth century invention, which was an era in which the elite was facing the problem of integrating an "unruly populace" into a nascent democracy.

Fifth Set
02-05-2011, 09:15 PM
A good general rule is to believe the opposite of everything Chomsky believes.

Thank me later.

JustBob
02-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Sport is a late nineteenth century invention, which was an era in which the elite was facing the problem of integrating an "unruly populace" into a nascent democracy.

One of the earliest forms of soccer was traced as far back as 1000 BC in Japan. Some Chinese documents dating back to 50 BC mention a game very similar to soccer being played between teams from China and Japan. Also in China, see "Cuju" which means "kick ball". It's roughly 2500 years old.

pushing_wins
02-05-2011, 11:07 PM
is he implying that, on maslow hiarchy of needs, only physiological needs are worthwhile pursuits?

how is sport different from games such as chess?

viduka0101
02-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Ali G's take on Noam Chomsky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIM1_xOSro

pushing_wins
02-05-2011, 11:51 PM

similar to his argument about linguistics, at 10:07
"they belong to the characteristic of the species,
programmed into the genetic equipment of the mind"

could it be sport is inherent in us becuase we were once hunters and gatherers?

he was a a bit of a nerd. as a child, he read all day.

Bartelby
02-05-2011, 11:54 PM
That is all true, but almost all modern sports had their rules laid down in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, so there is something unique about this era in the development of sports: tennis, soccer and rugby, basketball and of course the modern Olympics.

One of the earliest forms of soccer was traced as far back as 1000 BC in Japan. Some Chinese documents dating back to 50 BC mention a game very similar to soccer being played between teams from China and Japan. Also in China, see "Cuju" which means "kick ball". It's roughly 2500 years old.

Bartelby
02-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Not really persuaded by Cartesian linguistics???

A good general rule is to believe the opposite of everything Chomsky believes.

Thank me later.

Bartelby
02-05-2011, 11:56 PM
So why do masters have to beat their slaves???

pushing_wins
02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
they should build bigger stadiums. all sporting events should be free.

pushing_wins
02-06-2011, 12:32 AM

abuse?

your opinion is modern day sports is mainly a tool for manufacturing consent.

pushing_wins
02-06-2011, 12:36 AM

consent maximizes efficeincy given no abuse of authority

Bartelby
02-06-2011, 12:43 AM
No, such explanations are far too mechanical. But get this, we used to have bosses and now we have team leaders, so how did work become a template for sport and sport now become a template for work???

abuse?

your opinion is modern day sports is mainly a tool for manufacturing consent.

Bartelby
02-06-2011, 12:44 AM
All authority is based on violence, even conservatives have believed this, and yes consent is important but rarely freely given.

consent maximizes efficeincy given no abuse of authority

dParis
02-06-2011, 07:14 AM
All authority is based on violence...
A generalization open to such broad interpretation that it makes the statement essentially meaningless. At this, you excel.

pushing_wins
02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
No, such explanations are far too mechanical. But get this, we used to have bosses and now we have team leaders, so how did work become a template for sport and sport now become a template for work???

accepting a role as only a role player is not irrational submission to authority. your skils have been measured and you are just not that good.

chrischris
02-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Here is his take on the sport and hobby of some quite big corporations undertakings to keep things status quo : http://rightvsleft.com/2011/01/23/noam-chomsky-on-peak-oil-and-climate-change-video/ at 8.22. The man hasnt lost it quite yet it seems.