PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Fiction

Hewex
02-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm reading a great short story book called Tennis and The Meaning of Life. It's story with a tennis theme from writers like James Joyce, Somerset Maugham and A.A. Milne just to name a few. I'd highly recommend it. Are there any other good fiction books on tennis I should pick up?

MixieP
02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
"The Tennis Players" by Lars Gustafsson is supposed to be good, according to a friend of mine.

Hewex
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks Mixie, I will check it out.

Steady Eddy
02-08-2011, 07:01 PM
I've read that book also. I especially liked the short story "The Tennis Court". You mentioned Somerset Maugham, I liked his story.

You might try "A Handful of Summers" by Gordon Forbes. He was a Davis Cup player for South Africa in the 60's. He has alot of fun anecdotes up to when Wimbledon finally allowed pros, near the end of that decade.

Hewex
02-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks...I'll check that one out also. I mentioned James Joyce, but it was James Jones who has a short story in the book.

8F93W5
02-09-2011, 06:16 AM
I've read that book also. I especially liked the short story "The Tennis Court". You mentioned Somerset Maugham, I liked his story.

You might try "A Handful of Summers" by Gordon Forbes. He was a Davis Cup player for South Africa in the 60's. He has alot of fun anecdotes up to when Wimbledon finally allowed pros, near the end of that decade.

Handful of summers is great, but the person specifically asked for fiction. I have lots of good non fiction recommendations.