PDA

View Full Version : Leading up a nblade to 11.5 ounces.

DavaiMarat
02-09-2011, 06:09 AM
So going to an nblade from a TGK 237.1. which was around 12.5 ounces. The nblade is 11.1 ounces strung. So I have .4 ounces which is 12 grams of lead to play with. So looking at the 1/4 inch strips that's about 48 inches.

I want to keep the racquet balance the same but would like a little more weight in the head.

Racquet customization gurus out there what do you suggest?

Also how the heck to you hide lead with CAP grommets?!?!

vsbabolat
02-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Staying with your TGK237.1 or switching to the YT Prestige MP.

DavaiMarat
02-09-2011, 06:17 AM
I need a little break from my mids. Consider it a sabbatical. I found the nblade a relaxing change from my mids. Easy power and control. It feels like **** compare to my TGK237.1 so I'll probably go back at some point but a little Wilson 'affair' won't hurt the world will it?

vsbabolat
02-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Let me introduce you to the TW customization tool:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.php

Just plug in what you have, what you want and the tool will tell you where to put the weight if it is possible.

PimpMyGame
02-09-2011, 06:32 AM
A word of warning, I tried to beef up my nBlades and they definitely lost something. Stock is too light for me, but I could never find an acceptable solution by using lead, leather grip etc.

DavaiMarat
02-09-2011, 06:43 AM
A word of warning, I tried to beef up my nBlades and they definitely lost something. Stock is too light for me, but I could never find an acceptable solution by using lead, leather grip etc.

Ah thanks for the words of advice. I bought them as a toy and it seems my wife has taken a real liking to them. I think they fall right in her spec. So when I'm done playing with them I'll probably strip the lead and go back to my mids.

Like you they are a tad light. They feel like crap compare to my heads but the feeling you get with leaded head heavy 12.5 'plow thru happy' mid compare to a 98 inch 11.1 foam fill frame is going to be night and day. However I'm enjoying the easy power for the time being I just need a little more of the frame to feel like it's in my hand.

That's the great thing about LEAD. You can always take it off!

Pioneer
02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
The easy way would be to add 10 grams at 3/9 and 10 grams in the grip and you're good.

Now...

If you want to test out something that's never been tried before, you could extend it to 27.5 in., and add a good 10-15g under the bumper. This will give you a very powerful racquet, great on the serve. It would also be fun to report back and tell us how it performed.

DavaiMarat
02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
The easy way would be to add 10 grams at 3/9 and 10 grams in the grip and you're good.

Now...

If you want to test out something that's never been tried before, you could extend it to 27.5 in., and add a good 10-15g under the bumper. This will give you a very powerful racquet, great on the serve. It would also be fun to report back and tell us how it performed.

Love to try it but how the hell do you extend a racquet. I can change pallets but extend..no idea!

Pioneer
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
There are a few very concise threads on the forum that explain how you create a 0.5 in foam piece with the exact same shape as the pallet and you glue it on the grip to extend the racquet.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308163

Love to try it but how the hell do you extend a racquet. I can change pallets but extend..no idea!

DavaiMarat
02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
There are a few very concise threads on the forum that explain how you create a 0.5 in foam piece with the exact same shape as the pallet and you glue it on the grip to extend the racquet.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308163

Knowing how frail those foam palette's are I would imagine I'd snap that piece right off.. Hmmmmm maybe .5 inch mah be short enough to get away with a slight extension.

With head racquets the pallettes come extra long so you can leave some to hang over and maybe feel the rest with silicone or that foam insulation spray.

Wilson's don't really have the same system so it's going to be a bit tougher.

DavaiMarat
02-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Knowing how frail those foam palette's are I would imagine I'd snap that piece right off.. Hmmmmm maybe .5 inch mah be short enough to get away with a slight extension.

With head racquets the pallettes come extra long so you can leave some to hang over and maybe feel the rest with silicone or that foam insulation spray.

Wilson's don't really have the same system so it's going to be a bit tougher.

Hmmm just read that thread. Very interesing. So basically ur gluing the balsa wood directly to the end of the hoop/pallet? I wonder how structurally sound that is? I'll give it a try hehe.