PDA

View Full Version : Federer's Serve

FedererUberAlles
06-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Anyone got any tips for mimmicking his serve? It's so simple and solid. I tried copying Pete's serve but there were too many little things that would make it inconsistent. So, what do you think?

Slash
06-15-2005, 07:01 PM
what do i think? try to develop your own serve instead of ripping off a serve thats not for you.

FedererUberAlles
06-15-2005, 07:08 PM
I tried that, but I seem to develop an inconsistent serve with bad mechanics. I don't want to really mimmic it; I want to use it as more of a model.

alan-n
06-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Good luck, Federer's serve looks simple but isn't.... he synchronizes hit ball toss, knee bend and take back. That takes quite a bit of natural ability.

Practice a consistent ball toss with a straight arm... you can't have a consistent serve with an inconsistent ball toss.

Indiantwist
06-16-2005, 06:02 AM
An effective Serve is not as hard as one thinks it is. The first thing is to understand one's ability. Find out why it is inconsistent. May be one is hitting more harder than one is comfortable with. May be the toss is off everytime.
Always start slow and then build on it. A fast but predictable serve is far less useful than a slow but intelligent spin serve.

TwistServe
06-16-2005, 06:23 AM
The hardest part in an effective serve when to release your legs, which than starts the other motions or kinetic chain. When I time it right the serve is so effortless and I can see the pace and effectiveness of the serve. But my timing comes and goes I'll need a lot more practice.

Marius_Hancu
06-16-2005, 06:39 AM
you might want to check this thread:

tennis serve leg and lower body action
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=34774

also, clips on Federer's serve at:

http://www.tennisplayer.net

would help you considerably.

FedererUberAlles
06-16-2005, 01:58 PM
I watched some videos of Federer playing and I got the basic elements; which was all I was looking for. It's a very effective serve, and very easy on the body. Thanks for your responses!