PDA

View Full Version : Who picks our celebrities for us?

max
02-11-2011, 06:22 AM
. . . the current crop just seems far too wacko. Who or what really determines if someone is a "celebrity"?

Jail time?
Intellectual deficiency?

LuckyR
02-11-2011, 08:08 AM
. . . the current crop just seems far too wacko. Who or what really determines if someone is a "celebrity"?

Jail time?
Intellectual deficiency?

People magazine has given up the job to YouTube

hollywood9826
02-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I guess the media does by cramming these people down the publics throats. Most people in todays world dont seem to want to want to think for themselves so they listen and believe what they hear the most.

I guess if they are not atheletes or actors I dont know.

It seems female celebries have these criteria.

1. Are they hot.
2. Do they have big boobies or big booty or both.
3. Do they get naked.
4. Do they have a sex tape.

Anyone that has been able to answer yes to any of those in on thier way to being a celebrity, and gettign one of those stupid TV Shows everyone watches but doesnt admit they watch.

babbette
02-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Great question as I hate most of the celebrities out there today.

ollinger
02-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Funny how people blame the media -- we've always picked our celebrities ourselves, the media just reacting by scrutinizing what sells and what doesn't. What's changed is that when we were a society on the rise, we picked people to look up to. We could do so then because we had a grander sense of our own potential and possibilities. As a society in some decline being told our children will be the first Americans with a lower standard of living than their predecessors, we now need people to look down on, thus the celebrity of the Jersey Shore crew, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen, not to mention the whole reality show culture of vicarious humiliation.

r2473
02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
^^Hey Ollinger, there's no place for that kind of logic in this thread.

The Jews run Hollywood, so I blame them.

However, the gays are taking over.

I think we can all agree to blame the Jews and the gays.

ollinger
02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
But just imagine the boring movies you'd have to sit through if the Episcopalians ran Hollywood.

max
02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
But just imagine the boring movies you'd have to sit through if the Episcopalians ran Hollywood.

Count me in! I'm up for giving them a shot. Just about anything has to be better.

r2473
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Just so long as Shakespeare doesn't take over. I learned in another thread that he is boring (the "social responsibility" thread).

Kobble
02-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't believe we pick these celebrities. Sounds like divide and conquer. No, you watch them. No, I bet you watch it. Man, nobody watches. I tend toward the idea that it is propaganda. make each other believe our fellow man is a moron, then nothing but disrespect goes around.

Politician: Blame it on the guy next door. He didn't do his math homework in high school. He should have been more Chinese.

Really, and if he did, what jobs are available? Oh, that's right. Nothing.

albino smurf
02-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Publicists determine celebrity. They also pick a hell of a lot of the "news".

jmverdugo
02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
This is a good question as I can't figure out whiy some of the current celebrities are celebrities, case in point: The Kardashians, Paris Hilton and the Jersey Shore. (among others).

My main concern are that these people are "role models" for the young minds out there. If you ask me this is just a consecuence of the way of living, capitalism does come with bad stuff, this is one is one of them. Do everything to get money, TV Networks saw a jackpot on reality shows and they went for it. So I guess te answer would be "money", money picks celebrities.

tennisnoob3
02-12-2011, 12:52 PM

GE owns nbc and some movie companies i believe. blame them

Manus Domini
02-12-2011, 01:06 PM
The media also exploits the bad parts of the celebrities. How many people know that Little Wane is a Roman Catholic or that one of the other rappers went to Harvard?

tennisnoob3
02-12-2011, 01:42 PM
The media also exploits the bad parts of the celebrities. How many people know that Little Wane is a Roman Catholic or that one of the other rappers went to Harvard?

who? a name would help.

Manus Domini
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
who? a name would help.

I don't know any rapper names, it was in a presentation in 9th grade.

But there were some people from Columbia. Tell me if any of these are familiar:

Vampire Weekend, Alicia Keys, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Casey Affleck, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Rachel Nichols, Amanda Peet, Matthew Fox, Famke Janssen, Brian Dennehy, Jesse Bradford, Ben Stein, George Segal, Rider Strong, James Franco, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Mario Van Peebles, I think a few others. I don't know any of these people so you tell me how famous they are.

Also, Little Wane was apparantly an honor student before dropping out and becoming a famous singer person.

Scientist
02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Celebrities are lies. Most of our media is a deleterious joke. Sports is getting out of hand as well.

Chopin
02-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Wow, a rapper professes to be religious. Maybe you should write a story about that for your school newspaper.

ProgressoR
02-13-2011, 02:28 AM
nobody picks them for us, we do it all ourselves, or at least we validate whatever the "media" throws at us. Thus what is deemed "successful", famous, a celebrity etc is in effect what society has deemed worthy to give attention to. That is society as a whole, and even if there are tons of people who think this is stoopid and all kinds of losers are becoming celebrities, the sad fact is there are many many many more people willing to provide the success to these people.

On the whole, people suck, and so our "group" choices tend to suck, so the kind of things we give our approval to, tend to suck, at least in this field.

tennisnoob3
02-13-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't know any rapper names, it was in a presentation in 9th grade.

But there were some people from Columbia. Tell me if any of these are familiar:

Vampire Weekend, Alicia Keys, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Casey Affleck, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Rachel Nichols, Amanda Peet, Matthew Fox, Famke Janssen, Brian Dennehy, Jesse Bradford, Ben Stein, George Segal, Rider Strong, James Franco, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Mario Van Peebles, I think a few others. I don't know any of these people so you tell me how famous they are.

Also, Little Wane was apparantly an honor student before dropping out and becoming a famous singer person.

i bolded the names i know, but does columbia have a performing arts school? i know nyu does and produced quite a few famous people. tbh, ben stein was probably the only one who got in on academics, irrc hes an economist and a comedian

albino smurf
02-13-2011, 10:02 AM

the media exploits their celebrity, but it is generally spoon fed to them by publicists. look at the current crop of celebrities. rich kids who wanted to be famous so they hired publicists and now we get to hear about their lives every day.

Power Player
02-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Thank you. Somebody gets it.

JustBob
02-13-2011, 10:32 AM
You woudn't have celebrity without all the asinine celebrity worship (or hatred) lavished by the masses on said celebrities.

RealityPolice
02-13-2011, 10:54 AM
^^Hey Ollinger, there's no place for that kind of logic in this thread.

The Jews run Hollywood, so I blame them.

However, the gays are taking over.

I think we can all agree to blame the Jews and the gays.

Thank you, Mr. Gibson.

Hey, look--the drool stains came out of your straghtjacket! :)

/sugar t*ts

max
02-13-2011, 11:23 AM
I think the reality TV shows and the American Idol stuff is just crass. Gets people in a frame of mind of wanting to drool over fools.

r2473
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you, Mr. Gibson.

Hey, look--the drool stains came out of your straghtjacket! :)

/sugar t*ts

I don't get it :oops:

Manus Domini
02-13-2011, 06:43 PM
the media exploits their celebrity, but it is generally spoon fed to them by publicists. look at the current crop of celebrities. rich kids who wanted to be famous so they hired publicists and now we get to hear about their lives every day.

That is true, but it furthers my point in that we don't hear the good stuff about people but the bad.

tennisnoob3
02-13-2011, 06:46 PM
That is true, but it furthers my point in that we don't hear the good stuff about people but the bad.

bad stuff sells. ever notice the news only tells stories of fires, robberies, death, murder, etc? although there are a few good things per news shows, but they are definitely a minority.

albino smurf
02-15-2011, 11:28 AM
It is also news, as in information people demand to know about. The rest is fluff generated by publicists. Watch 60 minutes. How many miracle drug stories do they do a year. How many musical artists rediscovering themselves do you get to hear about. Then check the other news sources and note that they all have the same stories. Sooner or later it is the truth because you've heard it enough to have absorbed the info whether you want to or not. I still don't know who the Kardashians are or what they do but I know they exist.

Kobble
02-16-2011, 09:11 AM
It is also news, as in information people demand to know about. The rest is fluff generated by publicists. Watch 60 minutes. How many miracle drug stories do they do a year. How many musical artists rediscovering themselves do you get to hear about. Then check the other news sources and note that they all have the same stories. Sooner or later it is the truth because you've heard it enough to have absorbed the info whether you want to or not. I still don't know who the Kardashians are or what they do but I know they exist.
Same ****. When I was in middle school I knew the names of people I never seen. It was like knowing about aliens or bigfoot, but never seeing them. The reality was that it was just a clique where all their parents knew each other (businesses and swinging), and all their brothers and sisters dated before. Just trying to toy with a bunch of unknowing strangers. Same crap in Hollywood, I'm sure.

albino smurf
02-18-2011, 06:54 AM
I like the middle school analogy. It probably fits so well because most of the people wrapped up in celebrity news never make it past their eighth grade mentality.

Kobble
02-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I like the middle school analogy. It probably fits so well because most of the people wrapped up in celebrity news never make it past their eighth grade mentality.I agree. For some people middle school was their best years. High school was when they dropped out.

Another lesson for kids

I knew kids that were insanely popular, but once district lines were re-drawn and the clique was cut in half, things changed. Now, keep in mind, I lived in a predominantly white town, ok. One part was sent to a heavily black school, and the other was sent to heavily suburban white school. Needless to say, the ones sent to the black school had it rough. And the ones sent to the other town school never had the popularity they once had. None of my new friends knew who they were. Bigfoot had apparently died.

What can be drawn from this? That x-factor, the idea that some people will be top of the food chain popular no matter what, is ********.

r2473
02-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm still cool at least.