PDA

View Full Version : Milos Raonic Raquet and string

000KFACTOR90000
02-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Wilson K blade 98 18x 20 strung with Luxilon M2 Pro at 42/44lbs

Rorsach
02-14-2011, 02:30 AM
Where did this wisdom come from?

Not that i'm doubting you, but it would be nice to have a source. There's more than enough crazies in here yelling out all kinds of info that's blatantly incorrect.

000KFACTOR90000
02-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Where did this wisdom come from?

Not that i'm doubting you, but it would be nice to have a source. There's more than enough crazies in here yelling out all kinds of info that's blatantly incorrect.

http://tennisandgear.posterous.com/ DAY 16

dgoran
02-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Nice find:
"...K Blade 98, 18 x 20 pattern with Luxilon M2 Pro at 42/44lbs..."

I am surprised he is going that low.

kiteboard
02-14-2011, 09:57 AM
http://www.fawcette.net/2011/02/is-milos-raonic-the-new-best-server-in-tennis.html

Sure top ten player inside this year. Emulated SAmpras serve. Uses lux m2 pro, at 42/44lbs.

Comments: I definitely think this string has its ups and downs, especially as time passes by. I currently have a full string bed of these set up on my Pure Drive Cortex (not that GT crap) at 58lbs. This is my second "session" of having these strings on my racquet (each session about 3-4 months long). In my opinion, I think it's about time to change up my choice in strings, it's not at all that the strings are bad, in fact I remember the second time I got on the court with these on, she was a thing of beauty, (first time was sorta stiff). But, with time, these strings lose their playability by a lot. You may say, that's the same with all strings on the market, but this one's got a sharp drop in playability after a slow increase in it. Think of it this way:first time-decent, nothing impressive rest of the first month-great spin, power (especially on pure drive), control (even on the pure drive) and it's only getting better. 2nd month-it's already reached its peak in the first month and you don't see anything special from it anymore 3rd,4th month-decent decrease in performance Also, I don't know who these people are that say it keeps moving around. They definitely strung it at a terrible tension then, mine is definitely not at the same tension as it originally was, but I maybe have to re-adjust it.. once a match, and I'm a fairly hard hitter with spin.
(4.5 NTRP, Babolat PureDrive Cortex)

Comments: I really like this string. It has nice feel and really great control. The only bad thing is that I broke it in 4 days.

Comments: The best string I have ever played with. The product description is absolutely true. It is soft on lighter shots and provides excellent control on harder ones. This string provides great control when hitting serves and groundies from the baseline and the best touch and feel on volleys that I have ever experienced. I have in strung at 58 lbs on my Head Pure Competition (102 Sq in head size).

Comments: Possibly the greatest string ever - has all the power and awesome spin production of Alu Power except in a softer and more versatile package. It is amazing on full blooded shots and has superior touch on volleys. It does take a day for the strings to settle in after stringing and when they do, they simply don't move and always return to place. Due to the softness they can be strung a tad tighter than most regular polys and have great durability. Highly recommended.

Comments: Strung this racquet at 55 lbs on my Aeropro Drive Gt and it didn't live up to my expectations. These strings produce a fair amount of power but lacks a little on the topspin side. The strings are too soft but probably recommended for flat hitters.

Comments: A great product if you like to rearrange your strings between every point. They move like CRAZY on my Head MicroGel Prestige, so much so that I've decided to just cut them out and write this one off as trial and error. Luxilon missed the boat on this one. This is definitely no Big Banger. Decent response and power, but not worth all the repositioning you'll have to do between shots! Strung at 62 lbs.

Comments: The best string that I have used - have my Rebel 95's strung with this at 58lb and it is godly!! Love hitting out with the ball, which produces an excellent amount of spin and I have not got any arm pain from this at all. I have used the same set for a month now and I haven't experienced the noticeable tension loss that others have mentioned. I found it best when strung at mid to high tension, then you get the real benefit of this Lux masterpiece. All Alu Power uses owe it to themselves to give this string a go -this is my replacement for Alu Power.

Comments: I strung it on my Ficher M Pro 98 as a part of hybrid together with Tecnifibre X-One Bi-Phase (on crosses), and considering that I usually string with it Luxilon BB Rough, I think I could compare it quite well. The tension was 57lbx57lb, and when I started warming up from the half-court I felt like it was a few lb less ... however when I started hitting the ball harder it was coming back to the usual feeling of 57lb. I know its exactly what has been advertised, but changes in tension creeped me out, so as I was about to play a match I took another racquet simply to keep myself focused. I should give it another chance, but it was an interesting first experience.

Comments: Great string. Got 2 Kpro Tour rackets from TW strung with this string. I really like this string. It has good power, spin, and is easy on the arm.

Comments: Great string if you are looking for a slightly softer version of big banger ALU. It has the typical Luxilon stiff feel and great spin potential. I have played with it twice and have not noticed the dead feeling that occurs after playing with Big Banger ALU 3-4 times. Its been a good string so far. However, don't think this is a true arm friendly string as it is being marketed. Its arm friendly compared to other Luxilon and poly based strings, but its still Luxilon. I strung it as a hybrid with natural gut on the cross strings and is still much stiffer than using a string such as prince synthetic gut.

Comments: I usually like Luxilon strings, but with this, the 1st hitting session is very very stiff, you tend to lose a lot of power and ball bite. Hurts the arm. Then comes the 2nd session, the tension drops well over 2-3 lbs, making the shots uncontrollable, spins are difficult to get and ball will fly out. String is softer alright, but if you string it 2 lbs less for the first session, you will be way under in the second session. I will let you know how the 3rd session goes if I do not cut it first. Quite un-usable....

Comments: I'm a NCAA college player with lots tennis experience in all sorts of strings and racquets. I decided to try the M2, it's so much better then the Luxilon ALU Power. This string is perfect, much softer on the arm and great for control shots, power shots and spin are excellent too. If your good player then tension loss isn't even noticeable. Good job Luxilon keep up the good work.

Comments: These are the good strings for spin. I mix them with pro hurricane tour 16 on the mains and cross with M2 crosses. I string them at 56 and the mains I string them at 57. It is a good deal to buy!

Comments: These are good strings for spin. I mix them with Pro Hurricane Tour 16 on the mains and cross with M2. I string them at 56 on the crosses and 57 on the mains. This string is a good deal.

Comments: Great control string, allows you to hit without holding back. Great spin and feel. Excellent baseline shots and control for net play. Plays very well when fresh but doesn't hold tension for long. Also not very durable for a poly. Lasts about 2 days of solid playing for me, 1st day is excellent, 2nd day is okay. If I don't play on it for a day, it loses too much tension, becomes less lively and harder to control. Not as stiff as most polys, but not extremely soft either. Kind of expensive for me as its about $60 in string a week, but worth it sometimes. I won't play on this string every day, but I will be sure to keep a couple sets at home. It's not the easiest to string, but take your time and don't kink it and you'll be fine. Head Prestige Mid, 24.5 M/23.5 C kg. All around player.

Comments: This string is one of the best strings I've ever tried! If you are a hard hitter, this string is the one to use. Don't do a hybrid with this string.

Comments: Great string for the first 2 sets. After that tension drops like crazy. I even let it sit for 48 hours after stringing, which usually stops rapid tension loss after a couple sets for poly. Most spin I have ever hit with. Comfortable and a lot of ability to hit out. I strung at 54 in a Volkl DNX 10 Mid and it was wonderful for the first two sets. I got it as a free sample and I would not pay 20 dollars for it due to the huge drop in tension. Otherwise, a great string.

Comments: This was a very unique string to try out. It feels like a poly/syn gut hybrid all in one string. Great spin and power is great on high racquet speed shots and very forgiving on low racquet head speed shots. The tension maintenance is just not there with this string. I had it strung at 57# but should've went up to low 60s. Tension dropped significantly after the first hitting session. Power went from being controllable to a semi rocket launcher. I'd recommend this string to double players because it has very good pop and control at the net.

Comments: Put this in at 59 lbs after a few years of Big Banger Original in my Flexpoint Prestige Mid and current Microgel Prestige Mid. A little too tight the 1st session - will go with 58 or 57 the next time - but on the 2nd hit really started feel the added spin with no loss of the usual Big Banger power. Another winner from Luxilon for the advanced player...
From: Mark, 4.5 NTRP, all courter, Redondo Beach, CA, USA. 2/09

ihearit1st
02-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Wilson K blade 98 18x 20 (probably a h22) strung with Luxilon M2 Pro at 42/44lbs

In 2009 he was using a regular Kblade. I customized several of them for him at a futures event where he won $290.

000KFACTOR90000
02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
In 2009 he was using a regular Kblade. I customized several of them for him at a futures event where he won $290.

Interesting - it must feel good to see him doing well !

I removed (probably h22) from my original post

JimF
02-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Somebody else posted that Raonic's racquet is actually: "He uses an h22, with it looks like to me, a full vs team gut job"

The H22 is a limited-production Wilson racquet for pros, 27.5 in.

Not saying this is true. But there is this alternate theory.

Pictures show markings that aren't normally on the K Blade.

kiteboard
02-14-2011, 10:01 PM
It may be an h22, and not 27.5". I have two of them, 27". Florent serra was using a 27.5" h22. I doubt a club stringer would know the slight differences, grommet set, paint, trade marks, curvature, thickness of beam.

kiteboard
02-14-2011, 10:02 PM

What mass, total grams, bal. pt, string did he use? Silicone in handle?

JimF
02-14-2011, 10:14 PM
It's an h22, and not 27.5". I have two of them, 27". Florent serra was using a 27.5" h22. I doubt a club stringer would know the slight differences, grommet set, paint, trade marks, curvature, thickness of beam.

I'm confused. The h22 comes in two lengths?

Please explain.

How does someone get one?

JoelDali
02-15-2011, 09:33 AM
This setup will surely raise your serve speed 20-30mph.

Milos is the newest and most important revolutionary equipment figure in our sport.

THESEXPISTOL
02-15-2011, 09:37 AM
It looks like Natural Gut to me..
Just look at the color

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Milos+Raonic+2011+Australian+Open+Day+8+zrJuFRXVTh ll.jpg

ci2ca
02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
M2 is that same natural color.

ADIDAS_IS_CLASSIC
02-15-2011, 01:14 PM
It looks like Natural Gut to me..
Just look at the color

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Milos+Raonic+2011+Australian+Open+Day+8+zrJuFRXVTh ll.jpg

he looks like tsonga to me :-|

SullivanR
02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
http://www.blackmoretennis.ca/images/f_raonic_22_02.jpg

ihearit1st
02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
It's an h22, and not 27.5". I have two of them, 27". Florent serra was using a 27.5" h22. I doubt a club stringer would know the slight differences, grommet set, paint, trade marks, curvature, thickness of beam.

Like I said, it was a regular Blade in 2009. And I'm no club stringer, I've done 3/4 Slams and several other large events. I'm very familiar with an H22.

TennisAddict121
02-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Like I said, it was a regular Blade in 2009. And I'm no club stringer, I've done 3/4 Slams and several other large events. I'm very familiar with an H22.

Kiteboard just got served!!!!!!!

dgoran
02-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Ha ha ha this was funny...ace out wide by ihearit1st

ihearit1st
02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Ha ha ha this was funny...ace out wide by ihearit1st

I wasn't trying to be rude. But it was odd that he just assumed that I didn't know anything. Says something about his personality.

Doubles
02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I wasn't trying to be rude. But it was odd that he just assumed that I didn't know anything. Says something about his personality.
He claims to know more about pro stocks than anyone, don't worry, he knows a lot, but he assumes that he's always right and thinks every pro uses a pj...

pennc94
02-18-2011, 08:38 AM
What size grip does he use?

Pioneer
02-18-2011, 10:23 AM
God forbid someone doesn't use pro stock and a hybrid with poly...

Devilito
02-18-2011, 10:43 AM
God forbid someone doesn't use pro stock and a hybrid with poly...

haha yeah idk if this is a recent trend or something with “pro stock”. Back in the 90s I honestly don’t remember hitting with a journeyman pro using anything but an off the shelf stick. Of course some top players like Edberg had paintjobs etc but most journey men with sponsorships got sent off the shelf racquets that they customized themselves with lead and what have you. Now it seems like every 5.0 racquet hack is using some top secret pro stock back engineered alien technology mold that the average joe can’t buy. Must definitely be something I missed out on.

Jakesteroni
02-19-2011, 02:25 PM
kiteboard seems to get flamed a lot, ive seen the things he writes and its just well off. anyone can read about h22 and pt57a blah blah blah and reiterate it. if you ask me he's annoying and just comes on these boards to try and feel special.

kiteboard
02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
43 yrs. playing, hundreds of tournaments, thousands of string jobs, gives me the right to say the things I do. I've biked through Washington almost to Canada (Tacoma) in one day with a fully loaded bike against the wind on the coast. I've rewired thousands of houses, in the dirt crawling. I've done 1500 pge mains. I've seen Laver play and everyone inbetween. I've biked up Haleakala without water, 36 miles uphill in the Hi. sun. I set the track records in an all black school in Richmond, ca., that stood until the school was bull dozed. (Four shot to death when I was there.) I've finished top ten norcal in both 4.5 and 5.5 play, and beaten the top players with no coaching, training, or lessons at all. On speed and guts alone with no technique.

A-Rogue
02-19-2011, 06:56 PM
43 yrs. playing, hundreds of tournaments, thousands of string jobs, gives me the right to say the things I do. I can do things most can't. I've seen things most have not. I've felt things most haven't.

If you can't love yourself who can you love? And you sir certainly LOVE yourself. You rock our world.

slice bh compliment
02-19-2011, 07:03 PM
he looks like tsonga to me :-|

Really just the nose...and the serve.

Fedace
02-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Impossible. how does he control 42/44 lbs tension ? that is so loose ?

Devilito
02-19-2011, 07:27 PM

same way Federer does?

kiteboard
02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Fed is at 48/45, too loose for both, and both are going long too much. Fed will beat Rayoneeeetch, no problem due to his consistency issues.

ci2ca
02-19-2011, 11:03 PM
43 yrs. playing, hundreds of tournaments, thousands of string jobs, gives me the right to say the things I do. I can do things most can't. I've seen things most have not. I've felt things most haven't.

Sometimes you say things that are uncalled for and rude. You definitely do not have the right to say rude things. You come off as high and mighty. If you have had such experiences, then try to use them in a positive way instead of just talking down on someone.

-Bobo-
02-20-2011, 01:25 AM

I've seen a lot of stupidity on this forum, but this comment has got to take the cake. I like how by saying you can do things most can't seen things most have not and felt things most haven't, you must also realize you're saying that you know what most others can do, have seen and have felt, if this is true perhaps you should change you're user name to Kiteboard the omniscient, but if anything all you've displayed is how little you've learnt in you're 43+ years.

Pioneer
02-20-2011, 01:39 AM
He restrings every 2 hours of play. You might string at 50 lbs but after playing a few hours it would drop to about 45 and you can control it right?

Pioneer
02-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Yeah back in the 90s Ivanisevic would break all his racquets, then go to Walmart and buy Prestige 600 and play his next match. But really, only the Head sponsored pros use custom sticks. The Babolat players just use stock racquets, albeit older models painted like new ones.

haha yeah idk if this is a recent trend or something with “pro stock”. Back in the 90s I honestly don’t remember hitting with a journeyman pro using anything but an off the shelf stick. Of course some top players like Edberg had paintjobs etc but most journey men with sponsorships got sent off the shelf racquets that they customized themselves with lead and what have you. Now it seems like every 5.0 racquet hack is using some top secret pro stock back engineered alien technology mold that the average joe can’t buy. Must definitely be something I missed out on.

klementine
02-20-2011, 05:17 AM

In the past 6months I have never strung my sticks above 40lbs. (18kl)... and am never going back!!!!!

It's really not that 'mushy' or 'unweilding'.... really opens up the sweetspot.... besides technique dictates where the ball goes .... not string tension.... string tension just helps it get there faster.. :smile:

15_ounce
02-20-2011, 05:30 AM
I've been using 40 lbs main and 35 lbs cross. BUT they're polyester. I don't feel I lose much control, in fact it's easier to control my shots with it. I won't string that low if I were using natural gut.

Kcraig
02-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Dude can flat at crank that serve and groundies!! He just needs to find some clothes that fit him! He is a big boy and he looks like he is wearing junior size shorts/shirts-- But it obviously is not affecting his game too much--he is in a zone right now!!:twisted:

Carolina Racquet
02-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Dude can flat at crank that serve and groundies!! He just needs to find some clothes that fit him! He is a big boy and he looks like he is wearing junior size shorts/shirts-- But it obviously is not affecting his game too much--he is in a zone right now!!:twisted:

Pretty funny... I thought the same thing. Kind of a retro look when shirts and shorts were tight.

Re the comments about the ability to control at a low to mid 40 tension using poly in a midsized frame, it IS controllable by helping to generate more spin and better ball pocketing. IMO, as poly continues to be more popular, you'll find more full-bed setups in the pros at lower tensions. True, low tension with more elastic strings like multis, gut and syn gut are way to lively. Poly is truly another story.

floydcouncil
02-20-2011, 07:00 AM
I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time … to die.

bad_call
02-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Time … to die.

http://content7.flixster.com/photo/11/35/57/11355765_gal.jpg

kiteboard
02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
I've seen a lot of stupidity on this forum, but this comment has got to take the cake. I like how by saying you can do things most can't seen things most have not and felt things most haven't, you must also realize you're saying that you know what most others can do, have seen and have felt, if this is true perhaps you should change you're user name to Kiteboard the omniscient, but if anything all you've displayed is how little you've learnt in you're 43+ years.

Bobo, are you related to Bobo the clown? Clownish comment, ignoring a simple truth. Bad call, where did he get my pic? Here are some pics of Bobo:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=bobo+the+clown&cp=7&bav=on.1,or.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1408&bih=927
http://i52.tinypic.com/zu4k0y.jpg BOBO THE CLOWN!

Here are some of my posts: Regarding: internal body rhythm, lull jam finish strategies: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?searchid=9744596
Here are some of my posts re: string: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?searchid=9744631

Devilito
02-20-2011, 10:33 AM

haha i agree. Problem is he's tall but lanky. The needs tailored clothes that are narrow but long. It's hard to find off the shelf stuff like that but at this point i'm sure a clothing company would custom tailor something for him. Nothing looks worse than a tall lanky guy wearing XXL clothing that looks like they’re wearing a parachute because clothing companies don’t put out enough variety in sizes

marosmith
02-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm confused. The h22 comes in two lengths?

Please explain.

How does someone get one?

Hairpin is probably default at 27.5". If you want shorter, you cut it.

JimF
02-20-2011, 03:24 PM

It's on the WIlson site now, as well.

big bang
02-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Here are some of my posts: Regarding: internal body rhythm, lull jam finish strategies: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?searchid=9744596
Here are some of my posts re: string: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?searchid=9744631
You really got serious issues!. Theres ppl on this board who play at much higher level than you, are 10 times more experienced and knows much more than you ever will, but you dont hear them talk arrogant BS like you!.
The threads you linked to is not exactly revolutionary you know.. Everyone who received proper coaching knows these strategies and every decent coach knows how to teach them.
Christ dont even bring up stringing.. You recommend ppl to change their crosses only:shock:. Something every stringer would warn ppl about.
Is it now Im supposed to say that playing tournaments every month since the age of 10, tested pretty much every frame made since the 80´s, played div1 for many years, been stringing my own frames since I was 11 and did a few ATP events some years ago when I worked at a pro shop gives me the right to say the things I do?, I can do things you cant, I have seen and felt things you havent?. I would consider myself pretty arrogant, but thats probably just were we are different, because you dont!.

JimF
02-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Who knew this was so serious!

One would think we were in the midst of Libya, with machine guns firing, not discussing tennis strings.

Chill, dudes! :confused:

cnr1guy
02-20-2011, 06:01 PM

That may be the most arrogant thing I've ever seen anyone ever write about themselves. :shock:

Fuji
02-20-2011, 06:04 PM
haha i agree. Problem is he's tall but lanky. The needs tailored clothes that are narrow but long. It's hard to find off the shelf stuff like that but at this point i'm sure a clothing company would custom tailor something for him. Nothing looks worse than a tall lanky guy wearing XXL clothing that looks like they’re wearing a parachute because clothing companies don’t put out enough variety in sizes

Ugh I know how he feels! I'm not that tall, but I'm stupidly lanky. I need clothes that are between a L and XXL Depending on the brand to fit me properly, while I am naturally a medium. :(

-Fuji

leonidas1982
02-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Grip size?

christo
02-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Time … to die.

Aaaah, beautiful, one of the all time classic movie scenes, I can hear Vangelis' haunting score in the back of my mind. LOL I was thinking the same damn thing about Kiteboard's self aggrandizing blather.:cry:
BTW thanks for the quote

Leelord337
02-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Fed is at 48/45, too loose for both, and both are going long too much. Fed will beat Rayoneeeetch, no problem due to his consistency issues.

its going to be amazing to see if federer can hit clean winners off raonic's 1st serve...like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxzFlrFfUrg)

domhas1
02-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Haha yeah, he is bringing back the John McEnroe shorts...

Larrysümmers
02-21-2011, 05:11 PM
I find it ammusing-i get ammused easy- that he reminds me so much of Pete, yet his string setup is so different. Gut at 71lbs? and Milos' poly at 42.
to each their own

JoelDali
02-21-2011, 06:19 PM
I see some basalt crytals forming on the outer edge of the hoop.

Looks like a BLX hybrid PJ.

http://sports-world.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/35.jpg

Sandwichman
02-25-2011, 09:28 AM
That pic is a Madagascar lemur, and he's not saying, "Calm down, bro.", he's saying, "Can I have a treat?"

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4304294/Glorious-Allegory-Brethren.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Joseph-Ducreux

SFrazeur
02-26-2011, 07:17 AM
That pic is a Madagascar lemur, and he's not saying, "Calm down, bro.", he's saying, "Can I have a treat?"

Really? I translated it to "Talk to the hand!"

-SF

Tennis Dunce
02-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Time … to die.

floydcouncil FTW!

gloumar
03-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Dont know the M2 but some control-oriented copolys are meant to be stringed much lower than multis, especially on dense patterns.
There are also some experiments of extreme low tensioning, around 35lbs. These tough strings appear to react very well at these tensions, because they do not have the trampoline effect of the multis.

I play such a copoly strung @ 45 on a MID open pattern, and it just feels great, and I still enjoy plenty of control.

Weird to see some guys playing polys or copolys @60lbs. Depends of the stick of course but this seems nonsense to me. What do you think ?

Raonic is a great player anyway !

Sintherius
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Dont know the M2 but some control-oriented copolys are meant to be stringed much lower than multis, especially on dense patterns.
There are also some experiments of extreme low tensioning, around 35lbs. These tough strings appear to react very well at these tensions, because they do not have the trampoline effect of the multis.

I play such a copoly strung @ 45 on a MID open pattern, and it just feels great, and I still enjoy plenty of control.

Weird to see some guys playing polys or copolys @60lbs. Depends of the stick of course but this seems nonsense to me. What do you think ?

Raonic is a great player anyway !

I play with a Prestige Mid (the 93 sq. inch) and can't keep the ball in unless it's strung at 62 pounds. When the tension drops on a poly or whatever I have to put much much more spin on it to keep it in. I have no clue how people play with tensions in the 40s. That's ridiculously low.

0d1n
03-04-2011, 05:04 AM
I play with a Prestige Mid (the 93 sq. inch) and can't keep the ball in unless it's strung at 62 pounds. When the tension drops on a poly or whatever I have to put much much more spin on it to keep it in. I have no clue how people play with tensions in the 40s. That's ridiculously low.

Tension is preference.
But regardless...most people (including pros) would say that 62 lbs full poly in a 18x20 mid is ridiculously tight, and in my view it's more of a ridiculous tension than 45 (for example).
I have not seen you play but if you can't keep the ball in play with a prestige mid and full poly @ 55-57 lbs...you need to learn how to hit the ball with more spin IMHO.

JimF
03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
I like a lot of the dialog on this discussion board, but why do some people feel the need to get so personal?

If somebody else wants to string their racquet with barbed wire at 100 lbs, good for them!

slice bh compliment
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
string their racquet with barbed wire at 100 lbs, ...!

Don't knock 'til you try it!

Sintherius
03-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Tension is preference.
But regardless...most people (including pros) would say that 62 lbs full poly in a 18x20 mid is ridiculously tight, and in my view it's more of a ridiculous tension than 45 (for example).
I have not seen you play but if you can't keep the ball in play with a prestige mid and full poly @ 55-57 lbs...you need to learn how to hit the ball with more spin IMHO.

Yeah. The mid is the best racket to deploy mass amounts of spin. The small headsize and tight string pattern makes for better spin than a Babolat.

You're clearly an idiot.

0d1n
03-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah. The mid is the best racket to deploy mass amounts of spin. The small headsize and tight string pattern makes for better spin than a Babolat.

You're clearly an idiot.

Clearly......

Sintherius
03-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Clearly......

I should have said that I don't play in a full poly (until just today).

I had my Prestige strung up at 62 pounds in Gamma Professional (the pro at my tennis club uses it on everybody's he strings, I had no clue he did that >.>)

Turns out that string really is bad when it drops tension. I ordered my other Prestige a few days ago and used it today strung with Technifibre Pro Red Code 16 at 62 pounds, and it is in no way too tight.

Devilito
03-05-2011, 07:48 PM

You're clearly an idiot.

0d1n is right. A Prestige Mid strung full poly… I would probably start at about 40lbs and potentially go lower. The only way I’d be over 40lbs would be a hybrid poly/gut. Most pros are around that range as well. The fact that you called Od1n an idiot is only a reflection of yourself.

Sintherius
03-05-2011, 07:59 PM
0d1n is right. A Prestige Mid strung full poly… I would probably start at about 40lbs and potentially go lower. The only way I’d be over 40lbs would be a hybrid poly/gut. Most pros are around that range as well. The fact that you called Od1n an idiot is only a reflection of yourself.

Read my above post. Hurf durf.

Devilito
03-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Read my above post. Hurf durf.

why? you clearly didn't read 0d1n's post
http://menversus.com/images/2d7yja0.gif

Sintherius
03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
why? you clearly didn't read 0d1n's post
http://menversus.com/images/2d7yja0.gif

Yeah I definitely responded to his post because I didn't read it. Dumb ***.

Devilito
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah I definitely responded to his post because I didn't read it. Dumb ***.

your reply clearly indicated you either didn't read his post or you didn't comprehend it.

Sintherius
03-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Taken from Wikipedia:
Equipment and apparel

Del Potro briefly used the Wilson BLX Pro Tour Racquet for the 2010 season, but after returning from his wrist injury switched back to his Wilson K Factor 6.1 95 (18 X 20) and strings with Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power at 62 lb, and is sponsored by Nike.

See that? Strings at 62 pounds. I'm sorry that I like to hit out on the ball and be consistent hitting the ball hard. My bad. No way in hell could I keep the ball in with it strung at 40 pounds, even if I deployed more top spin on it. Yes, my technique IS right. Tim Wilkison (former top 20 player who beat all the big names like Agassi, etc.) came in to run a little clinic last Saturday (don't believe me? Google Tim Wilkison Wheeling West Virginia) and said my technique was very nice and I hit very well. So don't come in and criticize how I play or like my strings, you don't know me.

SoBad
03-05-2011, 08:30 PM
You're clearly an idiot.

Good post - sounds reasonable. I play with full poly @60#+ in a 97" 18x20, and I don't like it looser than that.

0d1n
03-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Good post - sounds reasonable. I play with full poly @60#+ in a 97" 18x20, and I don't like it looser than that.

Like many other noobs who can't hit their way out of a paper bag but they pretend to be "pro" using poly @ high tensions because they "generate their own power, and hence need the control".

jackcrawford
03-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Like many other noobs who can't hit their way out of a paper bag but they pretend to be "pro" using poly @ high tensions because they "generate their own power, and hence need the control".
Yes, these noobs are much more powerful than Raonic and face much more skilled opposition at the public parks and country clubs they play at than he does on the ATP tour, hence the need for very tight strings.

Larrysümmers
03-06-2011, 07:53 AM
once again, ive said this in another thread, equipment is personal preference. If you like racketX with stringY strung at Zlbs, then so be it. If it works for you, why should i care? Heck, i use an oversize frame from the early 00's with a first gen poly strung in the 40's. Why? because i like it. if you string a 18x20 prestige with poly at 67 lbs, who am i, or anyone else to say you are wrong?

Jonny S&V
03-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Taken from Wikipedia:
Equipment and apparel

Del Potro briefly used the Wilson BLX Pro Tour Racquet for the 2010 season, but after returning from his wrist injury switched back to his Wilson K Factor 6.1 95 (18 X 20) and strings with Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power at 62 lb, and is sponsored by Nike.

See that? Strings at 62 pounds. I'm sorry that I like to hit out on the ball and be consistent hitting the ball hard. My bad. No way in hell could I keep the ball in with it strung at 40 pounds, even if I deployed more top spin on it. Yes, my technique IS right. Tim Wilkison (former top 20 player who beat all the big names like Agassi, etc.) came in to run a little clinic last Saturday (don't believe me? Google Tim Wilkison Wheeling West Virginia) and said my technique was very nice and I hit very well. So don't come in and criticize how I play or like my strings, you don't know me.

Do you hit flat? Typically, flat hitters like higher tensions to minimize the rebound angle that the strings produce on the ball. Spin-oriented players (such as myself) like it strung lower to emphasize the added snap-back of strings to get the added spin. Notice that Delpo is a flat hitter, hence the higher tension and dense string pattern.

If you really want to master your game (however), you should focus on mastering your strokes at lower tensions (just like I have mastered my game at higher tensions, as high as 65 lbs, and then dropping gradually). To say that you CAN'T play with a racquet under a certain tension is purely in your mind.

JoelDali
03-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Do you hit flat?

Hes quoting Wikipedia for Delpo equipment knowledge.

And his club pro strings everyone with Gamma.

Winning.

SoBad
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM

I’m not a noob, I’ve been playing tennis for over a month already and my level is far above 5.0 due to athletic talent. I can solid long forehand to forehand crosscourt volley from the baseline and my serve is very powerful, like Raonic. I play aggressive style and rally at the net. And last week my coach even taught me to forehand from the left, I can do it two-handed or one, pretty solid but I’m still working on it. I string my setup tighter than Delpotro because my forehand is more powerful so needs more control, if I string at 59# the ball just flies over the fence on every stroke. My strokes are more powerful than pro, but maybe need more consistent, I am committed to improving even more so I can qualify for the US Open in August, is there anything I need to do like get a USTA permit, or I can just qualify?

Larrysümmers
03-06-2011, 07:57 PM
im sure you will get a wild card into the open if you continue to progress like that.

SoBad
03-06-2011, 08:02 PM
im sure you will get a wild card into the open if you continue to progress like that.

Thanks - do I need to call USTA to get the wildcard mailed to me or can I download it online somewhere? Thanks.

Larrysümmers
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks - do I need to call USTA to get the wildcard mailed to me or can I download it online somewhere? Thanks.

i think you should tape yourself hitting and send it to the person in charge and then they will send you one.

SoBad
03-06-2011, 08:10 PM
i think you should tape yourself hitting and send it to the person in charge and then they will send you one.

I ran out of tape last week, does that mean I won't qualify?

Larrysümmers
03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
im sure if you email them your situation then they will still let you.

SoBad
03-06-2011, 08:20 PM
im sure if you email them your situation then they will still let you.

Yeah that's cool, I'll email them the singles draw should be fine for me then. I kind of want to have the doubles thing going too just in case the singles doesn't work out - are you interested? Because if you're not, I'll ask Leander Paes, he seems pretty chill and laid back.

Timbo's hopeless slice
03-06-2011, 09:28 PM
I’m not a noob, I’ve been playing tennis for over a month already and my level is far above 5.0 due to athletic talent. I can solid long forehand to forehand crosscourt volley from the baseline and my serve is very powerful, like Raonic. I play aggressive style and rally at the net. And last week my coach even taught me to forehand from the left, I can do it two-handed or one, pretty solid but I’m still working on it. I string my setup tighter than Delpotro because my forehand is more powerful so needs more control, if I string at 59# the ball just flies over the fence on every stroke. My strokes are more powerful than pro, but maybe need more consistent, I am committed to improving even more so I can qualify for the US Open in August, is there anything I need to do like get a USTA permit, or I can just qualify?

lol, love it!

no doubt you are playing with pro staff 88s weighted to 16 oz?

Fedace
03-06-2011, 09:38 PM
lol, love it!

sobad is a Professional player ?? i had no idea ?:)

Timbo's hopeless slice
03-06-2011, 09:39 PM
:)

well, clearly.

Tennisisgod
03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Are you a professional tennis player or a Professional tennis observer in life, Sobad?

Can I have your autograph please???:) I know it will be very difficult to get one after 2011 US open;-).

15_ounce
03-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I just want to say that there is nothing wrong with stringing your racquet at very low tension or at very high tension. It's a matter of personal preference. Pros string very low, pros also string very high. Some likes it somewhere in the middle. Filippo Volandri strings at 26 lbs and he beat Federer in Rome in 2007.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/gear.aspx?articleid=3035&zoneid=24

"....Filippo Volandri strings at only 26 pounds, the polar opposite of Jurgen Melzer, who strings his poly at an arm-numbing 75 pounds. The high tension enhances Lux’s dead feel, which helps the Austrian take better advantage of his favorite shot, the backhand drop."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-suQ6hdLVzdU/TXYvbJlzETI/AAAAAAAAA5M/I_ANkecGwCQ/s1600/stringtension.jpg

I play everyday and I have no trouble keeping the ball in using 40lbs tension (polyester string). I feel that the string bites the ball more and I can control the ball easier and it's easy on my arm.

SoBad
03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
lol, love it!

sobad is a Professional player ?? i had no idea ?

:)

well, clearly.

Are you a professional tennis player or a Professional tennis observer in life, Sobad?

Can I have your autograph please???:) I know it will be very difficult to get one after 2011 US open;-).

Yes, I am very good, but too humble to really say how good I am. Anyway, my press service will be handling fan inquiries starting this year.

I just want to say that there is nothing wrong with stringing your racquet at very low tension or at very high tension. It's a matter of personal preference.

Brave of you to declare this heresy - watch out now, Od1n is coming after you!!:lol:

15_ounce
03-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Brave of you to declare this heresy
At least I have the FACTS to support my opinion. Can you please give me some facts that what I declared was a 'heresy' ????

MarcDunn1989
03-08-2011, 08:19 AM
the chart is wrong about mardy fish's rackets..he does use wilson nat gut on the mains, but uses lux timo on the crosses..i only know this because his sister is a good friend of mine and she has reels of his string and we auctioned off one of his racquets at a club event...

Sintherius
03-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Do you hit flat? Typically, flat hitters like higher tensions to minimize the rebound angle that the strings produce on the ball. Spin-oriented players (such as myself) like it strung lower to emphasize the added snap-back of strings to get the added spin. Notice that Delpo is a flat hitter, hence the higher tension and dense string pattern.

If you really want to master your game (however), you should focus on mastering your strokes at lower tensions (just like I have mastered my game at higher tensions, as high as 65 lbs, and then dropping gradually). To say that you CAN'T play with a racquet under a certain tension is purely in your mind.

I usually hit flat ground strokes, but I have no problem hitting top spin on my shots, I just prefer the flat ground strokes because everybody is used to getting a ball that bounces right into their strike zone.

And I've never tried dropping tension, and I don't doubt it would really help my game by doing so and be able to keep it in, but I just don't want to adjust to that, because even when I DO start hitting with topspin (like when I play on Har-Tru courts) I'll end up hitting it flat again at some point in the match, which causes it to screw me up due to the normality of my strokes at that time.

Sintherius
03-08-2011, 09:57 AM
It's also been brought to my attention by that pro that I tend to jump up a little when I hit forehands but I never thought it affected me so much until I started to NOT do it in a quick 8 game pro set yesterday against a kid who was on my high school team last year, but is now in college. The first 4 games I kept popping up on my forehands (as I usually did) and when it was tied at 2-2 I KNEW something was wrong (because I'm a far far better player than him). So I starting staying to the ground and found myself hitting winners. (Eventually ended it 8-2)

SoBad
03-08-2011, 07:47 PM
At least I have the FACTS to support my opinion. Can you please give me some facts that what I declared was a 'heresy' ????

Sorry, I have absolutely no facts to support declaring your statement as "heresy". I was counting on Od1n to come after you foaming at the mouth, so no one would need to worry about silly stuff like facts.

15_ounce
03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
so no one would need to worry about silly stuff like facts.

You call facts SILLY STUFF ?

I was counting on Od1n to come after you foaming at the mouth,

Now, this IS SILLY STUFF.

:lol:

Come on people this is a discussion forum. Not a flaming war forum.

gloumar
03-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Sorry that the tension discussion got out of the subject, but I just initially answered to someone who said that raonic's racquet @ 45 lbs was silly. I just underlined that a lot of amateurs or pro players use low tensions. That is legitimated by the experience, if u didn't run it, u should not insist sintherius !

Anyway enjoy your wrist or elbow injury like DelPo did ! lol
(too bad for him by the way, I love his devastating game)

NB : I'm sure DelPo would string much lower if he plaied a softer racquet

0d1n
03-10-2011, 05:00 AM

Not for SoBad. He talks out of his ar$ehole all the time.

Tennisisgod
03-10-2011, 06:42 AM

Hello two posters, why don't you guys walk away from this? I don't think Sobad is like a person you described. Give this person some breaks. Take cares:)

SoBad
03-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Now, this IS SILLY STUFF.:lol:
I agree that it would be silly and funny if it weren’t true. Check out this latest display of manners and language for yourself. It’s sad really.
VV
------------------
Hello two posters, why don't you guys walk away from this?
This I agree with – this thread is about Milos Raonic racquet and string. My only intention in this thread was to compliment Sintherius on a well thought-out post and to comment on string tensions and patterns more generally. I don’t know why Od1n interjected in the discussion with insults and irrelevant comments, but I suggest we all overlook his behaviour and move on with the original discussion.

Sandwichman
03-11-2011, 08:08 PM
If you check the ATP Website, it's got a picture of Roanic with a new BLX blade pj. Can't tell if it's the 98 or the tour, though the 98 would make a lot more sense.

atpworldtour.com

JimF
03-11-2011, 08:16 PM
If you check the ATP Website, it's got a picture of Roanic with a new BLX blade pj. Can't tell if it's the 98 or the tour, though the 98 would make a lot more sense.

atpworldtour.com

Raonic has done a wilson promo for the 98.

Casco
04-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Still haven't seen anything regarding the weight, unstrung or strung, and balance of Milos's racquet? Does anyone have any information regarding his racquet specs?

kiteboard
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Shane Mikic of Brisbane said he was using a stock kblade, not an h22, strung at 42/44lbs m2 pro lux. You could hear him say at iw: 45/47, and also at Monte carlo: 40/42lbs.

Casco
04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
"Stock" means that he uses a regular blade, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't add lead. This is, at least, my interpretation of "stock." So does anyone know if he adds lead and whether his sticks weigh more than Wilson spec on that racquet, which is fairly light at 304 gms unstrung.

kiteboard
04-18-2011, 09:13 PM
If he does, it's under the grommet.

Casco
04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Under the grommets is typical. Under the grip, of course, too. I just can't imagine that he'd use a racquet that light - 320 grams strung.

Fugazi
04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
He said "40-42" to the umpire in Monte-Carlo.