PDA

View Full Version : Equivalent USTA rank for France

tarheelbornjohn
04-22-2004, 12:37 PM
I know this is a racquet board but it does have the most trafic. I will be in the south of France for two weeks in July. I can't go that long without some good tennis. While my wife will be there I will play it is just not the same (don't let her know). I am a 4.0-4.5 USTA player and wanted to know what was the French equivalent so when I am there I can find a good match. I am trying to play in at least one tourny while I am there as well.

Watusi
04-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Hello,

The Ranking here in France is very complicated. It goes like that:

a] Quatrième série
NC (Non Classé)
30/5
30/4
30/3
30/2
30/1
b] Troisième série
15/5
15/4
15/3
15/2
15/1
c] Deuxième série
5/6
4/6
3/6
2/6
1/6
-2/6
-4/6
Promotion
d] Première série
1ère Série

Non classé is the worst and Première Série is the best. (Grosjean, Escude, Clement) are Première Série. I am 30/3.

If you want to play with people at your level try the end of Quatrième Serie (30/2, 30/1, or 30) and maybe the first two levels of Troisième Série (15/, 15/4).

If you want to play some tournaments in France you will find all the information here

http://www.fft.fr/competitions/joueurs_etrangers.html

I hope that my explanation was clear :roll:

spinbalz
04-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Watusi, I will add a few corrections at your description of the French ranking : Troisième serie starts at 30 (not at 15/5), and deuxième serie starts at 15 (not at 5/6).

And if I remember correctly what a FFT official told me in the past (French tennis federation), a 4.5 USTA player usually correspond to a high troisième série (15/1) or low deuxième serie (starts at 15), but be carefull because, though a player ranked 15 and a player ranked 0 are both ranked in the 2ème série, the player ranked 15 would have absolutely no chance to win against the player ranked 0, and the 0 often win by scores like 6/1-6/2.

The structure of the French ranking is pyramidal, it means that at each higher step of the ranking there are less players than at the precedent step, and since there are more steps in the french ranking than in the USTA ranking, it makes the french ranking more indicative concerning the level of the players.

The number of players ranked in 1ère série + 2ème (which is a total of 13 steps of ranking) makes a total of 5000 players (the first 5000 best players of the country), but the number of players ranked at the top of the 3ème série at 15/1 (which is only one step in the ranking) is way higher than the total of players ranked in 1ère + 2ème série, so one low single step in the ranking has more players than the addition of all the better steps, so there are more players ranked for exemple at 30/1 (top of the 4ème série) than the total of players ranked in 1ère + 2ème + 3 ème série. When you are ranked around -15 you are a legitimate sattelite tournament level player, and only a big handful of players are ranked in 1ère série.

I hope that I wasn't too confused.

My best ranking was -4/6 a few years back.

bookem
04-22-2004, 04:14 PM
The ITF is (and has been) promoting the International Tennis Number (ITN) system so people from different countries can have a universal rating system as a reference for playing.

The link to view the ITN table is www.internationaltennisnumbers.com.

According to the chart, a NTRP 4.5 falls in the 15 to 4/6 range in France.

There was a thread back in March by Vadim in France in Odds & Ends which also asked the same question.

Hope this helps...

tarheelbornjohn
04-23-2004, 06:01 AM
Thanks very much for the links. I am trying to find out about tounaments. I will be in Le Lavandou, which is between Toulon and Nice on the coast. Not sure if I will be able to find someone to play. I have sent an email there about my estimated rank between a 15/5 and a 15/1. Does this sound about right?

spinbalz
04-23-2004, 06:20 AM
Closer to 15/1 than 15/5, and you'll be able to find plenty of players around that level in France.

tarheelbornjohn
04-23-2004, 11:33 AM
So should I be looking for a 15 5/6? I have to admit it is confusing, but hey we have inches and feet and they use the metric system. I can't complain. Seems like they have more sensitive ratings. I know that there can be lots of differences in 4.0s or 4.5s. I play mostly 4.0 here in Greensboro, but I went to West Virginia last summer and played the club pro at the resort I was staying at who told me he was an average 5.0 and played in tournies at 5.0 and 4.5 doubles. We played indoors and I crushed him. He would be an average 4.0 in Greensboro. However, there are 4.0s in parts of the state that would crush me but don't play in NTRP so they keep their ratings for USTA. At least now the computer can catch some of them after a while. I have played 4.0s in VA and they would be good 3.5s here and the 4.5s there would be 4.0s.

spinbalz
04-23-2004, 01:50 PM
15/2, 15/1, 15, 5/6 should be close to your level.

But ranking doesn't says all... For exemple, someone ranked 15/3 can have a much higher level of play (corresponding to 3/6 for exemple), because ranking is obtained by your results in official tournaments and team championships, so if a player ranked 3/6 stops to play official competitions during 3 years, he will lose 6 steps in the ranking (we lose 2 steps by year without any official competition match), and will be ranked 15/3, but his real level of play can still be close to 3/6, because giving up the tournaments doesn't mean giving up the game, and the player could possibly have continued to train and maintain his tennis skills during his 3 years without tournaments.