PDA

View Full Version : Gameplans

Sir
06-16-2005, 01:33 PM
I want to know more about developing your own gameplan(s).
Are there any links to sites that could help me/others?

Everyone has gameplans but im searching for those extra tips to perfecting strategic tennis.

Meat
06-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Just focus on your strengths and try to match them up with your opponent's weaknesses, anything works. I do it as I go along. I posted my own in the "I'm having the best time of my LIFE" thread and "Destroying your opponent", although people thought I was extremely arrogant. Which is fine, I don't need other opinions.

As for perfecting strategic tennis, it's really just trying to match your strengths with other peoples weaknesses or covering up your own weaknesses. You just improvise from there.

Or would you be looking for shot combinations?

Bungalo Bill
06-16-2005, 01:47 PM
I want to know more about developing your own gameplan(s).
Are there any links to sites that could help me/others?

Everyone has gameplans but im searching for those extra tips to perfecting strategic tennis.

A man after my own heart...

The key to building an effective game plan is determining your strengths and weaknesses for both you and your opponent. Do not make it difficult.

It can be as simple as deciding whether you can score more points off your backhand side vs. your opponents backhand side even though they are the weak stroke for both of you.

It can also include having an overall objective to have a certain unforced error percentage.

Here is some help:

1. www.strategictennis.com

2. http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/MHGoten/index.html

Kaptain Karl
06-16-2005, 01:51 PM
When I think of "game planning" I think of a set of strategies I plan to employ against a particular opponent. I'm not sure *what* your OP means, Sir. Care to elaborate?

- KK

ShooterMcMarco
06-16-2005, 01:57 PM
my game plan: DOMINATE :)

Grimjack
06-16-2005, 01:59 PM
I generally go into every match with a new opponent using the directionals as my default strategy. It's easy to remember, and usually effective, unless I'm completely overwhelmed by the guy's superior physical skills. (In which case, all the strategy in the world isn't going to help.)

If I fall behind early, but don't feel entirely out of it, I choose my backup strategy depending on the kind of player I'm facing. Could be drop-shots-n-passes (against a baseliner), moonballs, prey on the weaker wing, junkballs, or try-to-hit-winners-on-everything-and-hope-the-tennis-gods-are-smiling-on-me-that-day.

If all else fails, and I appear to be pretty well buggered, then I consider S&V, which for me is pretty much the tennis equivalent of hoping for rain.

Sir
06-16-2005, 02:19 PM
When I think of "game planning" I think of a set of strategies I plan to employ against a particular opponent. I'm not sure *what* your OP means, Sir. Care to elaborate?

- KK

Thats also what I mean.
I want to be able to 'know' all possible gameplans and perfecting that.
Example: If the opponant is a baseline player then give him dropshot to force him to the net. If that guy is actualy also good at his net game then I need a plan B. But I could have executed Plan A wrong, dunno so I need those extra tips. Maybe the shot combinations were wrong like Meat was suggesting.

What to do when ... and how to execute it perfectly.
Dunno if this makes any sence :P

Bungelo Bill's second link is a nice one, something like that :)

kevhen
06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
You have to develop your own strategic game plan based around what works for you.

For me it's an aggressive first serve, either heavy slice or hard flat, but usually placed closer to the center of the court to get a high percentage in and force weak replies or errors from the spin or pace. Then I hit softer safer second serves to not give free points to my opponent. In rallies I tend to go crosscourt with my backhand, hitting at moderate pace, and then slicing my forehand usually up the line sometimes following it to net for a forehand crosscourt putaway volley. Mostly I will just outrally opponents and make the match long and one of fitness, except my service games can go quickly when I am on. When I am losing and don't see any reason to think I won't keep on losing, I will look to change my normal game plan by adding more spin, pace, less pace, go to net, or bring my opponent in. I may go at their forehand more instead of my normal backhand attack.

But everyone should devise their own typical gameplan for how they like to win and what actually works.