PDA

View Full Version : Tips for teaching

donnyz89
06-16-2005, 01:30 PM
i will be assisting/coaching at a tennis camp for kids of all ages. from 6-12, to 12-18 and 12-18 highschools... 3 sessions a day. so do u guys have any tips for me? i never done anyhting like this before (teaching other kids to play tennis).

Meat
06-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, how well can you explain things? Do you know what's going on during the swing and game, do you know how to keep your personality while talking and make it fun for the most part?

There aren't any big tips besides how well you can actually help "teach".

But...for the 6-12 year olds, you're mostly just going to want to keep it FUN. For some of the older people, you should help with stroke mechanics somewhat -but for the six year olds, and younger people, you should really just try to make it enjoyable. They're young, don't put them in ANY situations where they'll probably fail.

For 12-18 and whatever, you'll want more of an emphasis on stroke mechanics and strategy. Also, what level are they? Can you beat them? You'll find many high schoolers (we're obnoxious for the most part) will probably be angry and not try very hard if they believe they can beat you.

Watch some people teaching lessons. Just get the general idea with it. Young players equal games and group drills, while just having fun and building motor skills. Older players equal matches (they want to play, not too many drills) and feel that they're actually improving with their strokes. For some reason, older players have a huge obsession with their actual stroke while they refuse to prepare or look at other aspects of screwing up.

@ce
06-16-2005, 03:33 PM
It's important to also not stay on one drill for a long time as you start to lose interest from the kids. I've found that the kids really like competitive drills, like king of the court. Keep the drills interesting but consistent as well.

donnyz89
06-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Meat... thats what I worry, if some of the highschool kids can beat me. but around this area, unless someone is a varsity singles player for your highschool (1 of the 3-4 schools around), i highly doubt i will loose. and this is only a community camp, there are a lot better camps around for varsity players so i doubt any top players will play at this camp. but there will be a college player as the head coach so i dont think ill be in charge of a lot, just feeding, watching, and helping out with the drills and give some tips i guess. but i guess im not too worried about highschoolers, besides girls season is in the fall so i HOPE there will be more girls than guys, that would be sweeet. its the lil kids... idk what will happen.

btw... is it okay to flirt with the players?... not kidding...

Exile
06-16-2005, 07:22 PM
You'll find many high schoolers (we're obnoxious for the most part) will probably be angry and not try very hard if they believe they can beat you.

This is true.
Why are you teaching us if we can do a better job of it?

That is the mindset.
So, pwn them and they will be yours to mold.
Just don't be a d***
There is this coach at the program I go to, all the smaller kids go 'awww' when he comes, its cute. He is really that evil of a coach.

Tim Tennis
06-17-2005, 05:16 AM
You just need to let each kid know that you are so glad to be there with them and there is nothing else you would rather do. Give the best and the worst equal respect.

donnyz89
06-17-2005, 06:39 AM
You just need to let each kid know that you are so glad to be there with them and there is nothing else you would rather do. Give the best and the worst equal respect.

thnx thats very helpful, ill keep that in mind.

POGO
06-17-2005, 06:49 AM
You need to come up with a good lesson plan for each age group. Have a clear objective, like what you want your students to accomplish at the end, and what steps you will do to help them accomplish that.

If you have a lesson plan with a clear objective, then it will be much easier to focus on teaching them. This will ensure you dont get side tracked.

Most important, is to keep the kids interested, meaning "make it fun for them"

Once the fun is gone then forget it.......you have failed as a couch :)

Kaptain Karl
06-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Once the fun is gone then forget it.......you have failed as a couchIt's really important to be a successful "couch". It's one of my proudest accomplishments.

(Sorry, POGO. I couldn't resist.)

- KK