PDA

View Full Version : basic rules question

rumstove
06-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Yesterday I was playing a match with a friend just for fun. No tournament. No league. Not even a motivational bet/wager. Anyways, I hit a shot that I thought would set-up an easy point-ending volley. Much to my surprise, as I was charging forward to the net, my opponent returned the ball with a lot more juice than I thought he would be able to get on it. The ball flew past me and by the time I got my head turned to see it, the ball had already landed somewhere near the baseline and was heading for the back fence. I immediately told my friend I didn't see it land.

I knew the ball hit somewhere around the baseline area, but whether it was in or out I still didn't know. I asked my opponent and he said he couldn't see the ball because I was in his line of of sight. We simply shrugged our shoulders and decided to replay the point.

It's been quite a while since I played H.S. tennis, or in any league. What is the correct way to handle this? Would I lose the point since I'm responsible for making calls on my side of the court (which I failed to do for this point)? Or would our replaying of the point be a correct way to handle it if this had occured in a H.S. or league match in which the players don't have benefits of having line judges? After thinking about it, I think I lose the point, but I want to know for sure.

Thanks.

Meat
06-16-2005, 01:44 PM
If you're not sure about it, it's called in.

In some high school matches, if both sides aren't sure, they sometimes decide to just replay it. But for the most part and I believe actual rules, your friend would have won the point.

Hope it helps.

Thanatos
06-16-2005, 01:44 PM
It was your responsibility to make the call. If you were unsure whether the ball was in or out, then it was in. You lost the point.

kevhen
06-16-2005, 01:54 PM
You can ask your opponent but if they aren't sure, you give them the point. It is your job to call the ball when it's out on your side.

safin_protege
06-16-2005, 02:52 PM
If you're not sure about it, it's called in.

NO! If you are unsure, then you either: give your opponent the call or call it out. If you give your opponent the call, they have complete control over the decision. If they say 'I don't know' like your opponent did, it is their point.

jimiforpres
06-16-2005, 05:40 PM
since you asked your opponent what he saw you must accept his answer. If he didn't see it, give him the benefit of the doubt and give him the point

rumstove
06-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Cool, now I know. Thank you all for taking the time to answer. It's greatly appreciated. :D

tennis-n-sc
06-17-2005, 04:59 AM
I believe the Code or Rules say that "there are no unseen balls". Meaning, a point is not to be played over because no one saw it. Also, "a ball not seen clearly out is deemed to be good". Either way, technically, the point would go to your opponent, as most have said.

Thanatos
06-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Thanks tennis-n-sc
Did you get that from the USTA rule book? Can you tell me where you referenced it bc I want to past it on to my league members.

arf22
06-17-2005, 05:48 AM
From the USTA players' code (http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_2292.pdf):

11. Requesting opponent’s help. When an opponent’s opinion is requested
and the opponent gives a positive opinion, it must be accepted. If neither
player has an opinion, the ball is considered good.

tennis-n-sc
06-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanatos, go to the USTA web site and order a copy of "Friend at Court" from their bookstore for $4.95, I believe. I believe it can also be downloaded from their website. Don't get all hung up with the ITA (College) or ITF (International) rules. Stick with USTA Rules of Tennis and the Code. Can't go wrong. It is updated each year with a few revisions, so stay up to date.