PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to follow the Cricket World Cup?

Pages : [1] 2

sureshs
02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
I lost interest in cricket many years ago. But now there are some free preview channels showing up my programming which are advertising packages for the ICC Cup.

Tennis sensation
02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
I am going to watch it.

Feña14
02-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Yup, i'll be watching. England aren't going to be winning, but even so, should be good.

Tennis sensation
02-18-2011, 04:19 AM
Less than 24 hours to go for the start of the WC.

VaththalKuzhambu
02-18-2011, 05:20 AM
In 2007, I pooled money with friends and obtained the Dish network package. I took a vacation day from work and was all excited for the India v Bangladesh match. Even purchased a 12-pack beer at 10am in the morning. Half-way through the match, I realized the money was down the drain.

I might watch this world cup through yamsonline.

Sentinel
02-18-2011, 05:51 AM
I never found interest in cricket in the first place. :D Is there a website that has the schedule ?? I might be forced to take a peek if someone could provide.

Tennis sensation
02-18-2011, 06:16 AM
I never found interest in cricket in the first place. :D Is there a website that has the schedule ?? I might be forced to take a peek if someone could provide.

There you go

http://www.cricschedule.com/series/213-icc-world-cup-2011-schedule-fixtures.php

subz
02-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Can Pakistan upset everyone again like in T20 WC 2009 ???? I hope so XD

Polaris
02-18-2011, 07:14 AM
I won't be able to watch matches live, but will be following the results reasonably closely. Cricket runs in my DNA, there isn't much I can do about it.

Sentinel
02-18-2011, 07:56 AM
There you go

http://www.cricschedule.com/series/213-icc-world-cup-2011-schedule-fixtures.php
thanks, tomorrow is India vs Bangladesh at 2 pm. will put it on for my dad, he may like it.

How many hours does it last ? is it a 20 over thing, or 50 overs or one day ???

Underhand
02-18-2011, 08:10 AM
What is Cricket World Cup? Crickets fighting each other?

http://www.nyworms.com/images/groupcrickets.jpg

Tennis sensation
02-18-2011, 08:15 AM
thanks, tomorrow is India vs Bangladesh at 2 pm. will put it on for my dad, he may like it.

How many hours does it last ? is it a 20 over thing, or 50 overs or one day ???

Actually its both. A 50 over per side one day.

Tennis sensation
02-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Nah.

Just Humans.

UW_Husky88
02-18-2011, 08:50 AM
If I were to bet my life savings that you're Indian right now, I bet I would win (not that that's a bad thing, I'm Indian and think cricket > baseball).

Anyway I'll follow (can't watch due to time zones), but India def won't win. They'll find a way to choke probably.

Feña14
02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
If I were to bet my life savings that you're Indian right now, I bet I would win (not that that's a bad thing, I'm Indian and think cricket > baseball).

Anyway I'll follow (can't watch due to time zones), but India def won't win. They'll find a way to choke probably.

Possibly. I'm going with Sri Lanka at the moment.

r2473
02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm tweeting it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA

subz
02-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Possibly. I'm going with Sri Lanka at the moment.

I would go for South Africa - i think this time they might not choke :) But my heart is with Pakistan ! They are so unpredictable :]

Sentinel
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Be grateful that there's :
1. no haggis involved
2. Đoković is not playing

Tennis_Monk
02-18-2011, 07:33 PM

One doesnt need to be an Indian to see that Cricket is slightly more interesting and more engaging sport than baseball.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2001/jul/25jog.htm

fruitytennis1
02-18-2011, 07:38 PM
I've played both.
Baseball really stinks-epicly boring to watch and play.
A friend of mine(happens to be indian) had me play with him and his buddies. Fun game-i couldn't really bat but when he put me behind the wicket at slip he said i was a beast.

Sentinel
02-20-2011, 07:27 AM
I can't believe i *actually* followed the match. Saw the Indian side batting, and then saw some of Bdesh while they were ahead.

Had to go for dinner so missed the rest, but checked in once just as it was getting over.

Anyone else here saw the India-BD match ? Anyone in the US ?

Tennis sensation
02-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I can't believe i *actually* followed the match. Saw the Indian side batting, and then saw some of Bdesh while they were ahead.

Had to go for dinner so missed the rest, but checked in once just as it was getting over.

Anyone else here saw the India-BD match ? Anyone in the US ?

I saw the India-BD match but I am not from the US.

Tennis sensation
02-20-2011, 09:27 AM
After the end of Day 2, India, New Zealand and Sri Lanka have won there respective matches. So no upsets so far in the tournament.

Tennis sensation
02-23-2011, 12:14 AM
The English side had a tough time with the Dutch but they beat them in the end.

Sentinel
02-23-2011, 06:01 AM
I saw some of the Eng-Ned match but switched over to Devvarman (Dubai) when it started.

Tomorrow is SA vs WI. Sunday is India vs Eng.

sureshs
02-23-2011, 09:14 AM
The free channel preview we got is still continuing! Saw a part of Canada vs Sri Lanka.

Sentinel
02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
I'll try to follow the SA vs WI match today. Except that i've woken up with a slight headache which is a continuation of what i got watching the Nederlands match followed by The King's Speech the other day.

Tennis sensation
02-23-2011, 10:14 PM
I'll try to follow the SA vs WI match today.

I hope it turns out to be a good match because I will also be watching it.

Sentinel
02-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Might i ask your country, Tennis Sens ???

120-4 not looking good for windies.

SempreSami
02-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Was interesting to see the Saffers open the bowling with quirky tweaker Botha, but it reaped instant reward with the wicket of Gayle.

SempreSami
02-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Ah one of the things I love about cricket.

Kieron Pollard comes out to bat with everyone lauding his ability to hit the ball out of the ground and is trapped LBW first ball by bestbowlerintheworldrightnow Dale Steyn.

B A Y
02-24-2011, 05:28 AM

www.cricinfo.com for all your cricketing needs

Tennis sensation
02-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Might i ask your country, Tennis Sens ???

120-4 not looking good for windies.

I am an Indian and I have lived my whole life in India.

Where are you from Sentinel?

Tennis sensation
02-24-2011, 07:34 PM
At the moment its Aus vs NZ

NZ: 25-1 after 6 overs

Sentinel
02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
I am an Indian and I have lived my whole life in India.

Where are you from Sentinel?
Same as you. I saw some of the WI-SA match but then moved over to the Stackhovsky Federer match. Dubai telecast starts just when the cricket match is getting over.

Tennis sensation
02-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Today its Sri Lanka vs Pakistan

subz
02-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Today its Sri Lanka vs Pakistan

Pakistan won by 11 runs, good close match :)

Tennis sensation
02-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Today its India vs England.

Sentinel
02-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Today its India vs England.
Yup, i hope its a cracker. Starting in 30 minutes i think.

Tennis sensation
02-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Sachin Tendulkar is on song at the moment. He is just destroying the English bowling. Looks like it will be another Tendulkar special.

Sentinel
02-27-2011, 03:54 AM
339, sounds like a good total.

Dags
02-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Someone needs to have a good, hard look at the format of this competition. The one day game is already in trouble, lacking both the flash of T20 and intensity of a test match. To then have only 2 groups with 4 qualifiers from each means these matches just don't matter like they should. The final isn't until April... how is anyone supposed to get excited, and stay excited, for that length of time?

Tennis sensation
02-27-2011, 08:11 AM
What a match.... It ends in a tie.

Who says ODI cricket is boring. Till the very last ball all the 3 results were possible. But no one deserved to lose, nor India nor England.

But I think the English side will be more disappointed than the Indians because they were cruising until they took the Batting Powerplay and then they allowed India to make a comeback

Sentinel
02-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Quite a match. First Eng had the victory sealed, then suddenly no way Eng could make 30 runs in 2 overs.

2 sixes later it was doable.

Shahzad's opening sixer made it almost impossible for England to lose.

^^ What!!! the final isn't till April ???

Dags
02-27-2011, 09:48 AM
^^^ Yes, April.

Tournament began on 19 Feb.

Knock-out phase begins 23 March.

Final 2 April.

Today's match was quite exciting, but with 4 sides going through it wouldn't really have mattered who won. The tournament doesn't really get serious for another 3 and a half weeks.

Feña14
02-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Sachin Tendulkar is on song at the moment. He is just destroying the English bowling. Looks like it will be another Tendulkar special.

Nah, a Strauss special! :)

I was pleasantly surprised with that today, actually. Losing our best ODI batsman in Morgan before the tournament started was a big blow, to then have our best bowler in Broad miss out against the hosts and favourites was too big of a gap to fill, or so I thought.

jazar
02-27-2011, 10:13 AM
That England/India match was immense. I doubt there'll be a better game in the tournament.

Sentinel
02-27-2011, 07:12 PM
^^^ Yes, April.

Tournament began on 19 Feb.

Knock-out phase begins 23 March.

Final 2 April.

Today's match was quite exciting, but with 4 sides going through it wouldn't really have mattered who won. The tournament doesn't really get serious for another 3 and a half weeks.

yes, just checked the schedule. People are not excited here, some say the real matches will begin much later. I went to fetch milk at one stage when India was batting, and found the park full of kids playing cricket. I would have assumed they'd be at home watching.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
02-27-2011, 11:55 PM
UNBELIEVABLE MATCH! TENDULKAR,STRAUSS ET AL>>>all AWESOME!!!

50 OVER GAME IS AWESOME..I don't join those joinging the 50 over bashing wagon.

the problem is some asocaite countries and countries like mine(NZ) have fallen off the pace so clearly only 5 contenders for the WC maybe 6 with pakis coming back.

ICC needs to do more to help out the non-superpowers..eg regular first-class fixtures etc.

SempreSami
02-28-2011, 12:28 AM
That's what you get for picking seven batsmen and four 'bowlers', Dhoni.

sureshs
02-28-2011, 07:46 AM
yes, just checked the schedule. People are not excited here, some say the real matches will begin much later. I went to fetch milk at one stage when India was batting, and found the park full of kids playing cricket. I would have assumed they'd be at home watching.

How dare you do that

Sentinel
02-28-2011, 08:01 AM
How dare you do that
LOL, please note that my entire family is shocked that i am even aware that a cricket match is going on. This is a first in my life, after hating cricket all along.

Stuff happens !

VaththalKuzhambu
02-28-2011, 08:41 AM

I have not been an ardent follower of cricket with the exception of the 96 WC and the current one. However, I do feel that 50 overs per side is one too many. I also feel that 20 overs per side is one too less. 35 overs per side would have been ideal.

On the other end of the spectrum, there still are people who complain that the one day match format killed the test format, supposedly the true form of the sport. When was the last time anyone, other than the umpires, followed every ball of a test match? Not even the team captains, I would suppose.

sureshs
02-28-2011, 08:56 AM
LOL, please note that my entire family is shocked that i am even aware that a cricket match is going on. This is a first in my life, after hating cricket all along.

Stuff happens !

Nowadays, whenever I watch cricket on that free channel we are getting, I look at it in tennis terms. I am always trying to see at what point the batsman has his bat back - before the bounce, after the bounce, etc. I am also comparing the bowling movement to serving action.

sureshs
02-28-2011, 08:57 AM
I have not been an ardent follower of cricket with the exception of the 96 WC and the current one. However, I do feel that 50 overs per side is one too many. I also feel that 20 overs per side is one too less. 35 overs per side would have been ideal.

On the other end of the spectrum, there still are people who complain that the one day match format killed the test format, supposedly the true form of the sport. When was the last time anyone, other than the umpires, followed every ball of a test match? Not even the team captains, I would suppose.

Dude, when we were growing up, we would follow every ball on our "transistor" - and if we missed one, we would badger somebody else to tell us.

VaththalKuzhambu
02-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Dude, when we were growing up, we would follow every ball on our "transistor" - and if we missed one, we would badger somebody else to tell us.

Surely, you cannot be one of those who glue their merriam-webster dictionary-sized transistor to the ear while traveling on public buses and trains. The facial contortions of those people were horrible as they reacted to every well-left stroke during a test match.

bharat
02-28-2011, 09:45 AM
UNBELIEVABLE MATCH! TENDULKAR,STRAUSS ET AL>>>all AWESOME!!!

the problem is some asocaite countries and countries like mine(NZ) have fallen off the pace so clearly only 5 contenders for the WC maybe 6 with pakis coming back.

ICC needs to do more to help out the non-superpowers..eg regular first-class fixtures etc.

but credit to the middle order/tail end of england, after strauss and bell were gone, i was pretty sure India won

even though they were loosing wickets, they kept the runs going

SempreSami
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Bollocks, I was up all night watching the Ashes.

Tennis sensation
03-01-2011, 08:50 AM
In about 10 days of World Cup action we have seen
1) Two individual scores of 150+
2) Two Hat-tricks
3) A century by a player of an associate nation
4) A tied match

I think ODI cricket needed this kind of action.

Let;s see what;s in store for us next?

Feña14
03-01-2011, 10:32 AM
In about 10 days of World Cup action we have seen
1) Two individual scores of 150+
2) Two Hat-tricks
3) A century by a player of an associate nation
4) A tied match

I think ODI cricket needed this kind of action.

Let;s see what;s in store for us next?

They should just let England play every game, by far the most exciting team in the competition! ;)

Peters
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Of my interest in cricket, about 98% of it is Test Cricket and the other short forms scrap over the remaining 2%.

Just because you occasionally get an exciting run chase doesn't really mean a huge deal, in the big scheme of things.

The proper cricket sporting event of the year is the test series in the summer between England and India, not the World Cup IMO. Now that's something I'm looking forward to...

Still, I wish England luck here.

Tennis sensation
03-02-2011, 07:29 AM
England vs Ireland- Is there a upset on the cards?

35 to win of 30 balls for an famous Irish win.

Tennis sensation
03-02-2011, 08:03 AM
WHAT AN UPSET!
Ireland chases down 328 to win by 3 wickets. England really need to improve their fielding or else they will continue to suffer.

Feña14
03-02-2011, 03:45 PM
WHAT AN UPSET!
Ireland chases down 328 to win by 3 wickets. England really need to improve their fielding or else they will continue to suffer.

I think they're just tired really, they've played so much cricket and been away from home for so long now. Everything went in to winning the Ashes, to then have that extended 7 game ODI series against Australia, then another couple of months in Asia for this World Cup, it's too much for them.

Going out in the group phase would actually be a blessing in disguise, time at home with their families before the huge summer of Test cricket against Sri Lanka and India (the series' which really matter to the players and English cricket fans) would be a huge bonus.

03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I think they're just tired really, they've played so much cricket and been away from home for so long now. Everything went in to winning the Ashes, to then have that extended 7 game ODI series against Australia, then another couple of months in Asia for this World Cup, it's too much for them.

Going out in the group phase would actually be a blessing in disguise, time at home with their families before the huge summer of Test cricket against Sri Lanka and India (the series' which really matter to the players and English cricket fans) would be a huge bonus.

Possibly,but i would also give credit to ireland...just great batting towards the end which include keeping a level head after obriens big hits.

AWESOME RESULT for ASSOCIATE nations.

I'll make it clear I love50over.and.tests.

England should pay some respect...since 92 there wc performances have been strangely conspicuous.

tennisnoob3
03-02-2011, 06:03 PM
is cricket mostly national teams or are there clubs like soccer? really surprised usa doesnt even attempt to get involved in cricket, looks fun

Feña14
03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Possibly,but i would also give credit to ireland...just great batting towards the end which include keeping a level head after obriens big hits.

AWESOME RESULT for ASSOCIATE nations.

I'll make it clear I love50over.and.tests.

England should pay some respect...since 92 there wc performances have been strangely conspicuous.

Absolutely! Ireland did amazingly well, especially the record breaking 100.

Not sure why England should pay more respect to the World Cup though, it's pretty low down our list in the grand scheme of things. Winning the Ashes and then hopefully beating the likes of India and South Africa over a test series is what matters most to the players and fans back home. We've won the Ashes 3 times out of 4 and over those few months it was all the people seemed to be talking about, the number of people who stopped up every single night to watch it this winter was crazy! Would doing well in the World Cup have that same kind of reaction? No chance :)

Let's face it, some of these players have been away from home and their families for the best part of 6 months. Is their main focus playing Holland and Ireland in a form of the game that many people say is becoming redundant? It certainly wouldn't be mine.

Timbo's hopeless slice
03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
is cricket mostly national teams or are there clubs like soccer? really surprised usa doesnt even attempt to get involved in cricket, looks fun

the next level down from the national teams is regions, rather than clubs.

In australia, for example, each state fields a side.

I note none of these posters have yet mentioned that Australia last lost a match at the World Cup in, ahem, 1999....

SempreSami
03-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Balaji Rao gives us our Dwayne Leverock moment of the tournament, catching Abdul Razzak at slip with his thighs.

VaththalKuzhambu
03-03-2011, 06:27 AM
I note none of these posters have yet mentioned that Australia last lost a match at the World Cup in, ahem, 1999....

The Australian team's likability in cricket is the equivalent of William sisters' likability in tennis.

SempreSami
03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
It's also a desperate record to cling on to following dismal Test form.

Dags
03-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Sadly, I fear that the England-Ireland game may ultimately hold little bearing on the group result. It deserves to leave England on the brink of elimination and Ireland with a good chance of progressing, but because each team has 5 other group matches this isn't that likely.

England need 2 wins out of SA, WI and Bangladesh to continue. On current form they may well fail, but they're in far from a hopeless position.

Qualification for Ireland looks unlikely, because the loss to Bangladesh means they'll need to beat another Test nation.

We need two more cricketing nations, and split into 4 groups of 4. How hard can it be to find 22 more players?

Timbo's hopeless slice
03-03-2011, 12:45 PM
The Australian team's likability in cricket is the equivalent of William sisters' likability in tennis.

everyone else thinks that way about India..

Feña14
03-06-2011, 02:49 AM
They should just let England play every game, by far the most exciting team in the competition! ;)

What can I say? :)

lucknowrocks
03-06-2011, 03:16 AM

This would be important if the aussies had even a snowballs chance in hell of winning this tournament. Let's be honest is the Indians can somehow bowl half as well as they bat, this thing is over. This might be me being a homer, but I honestly cannot see them losing in the knockout stages.

Timbo's hopeless slice
03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
yet they could only tie with England, whom australia just beat 6 - 1 playing this exact format...

(remember, the australian world cup squad only includes a handful of players from the test team)

lucknowrocks
03-07-2011, 03:15 AM
yet they could only tie with England, whom australia just beat 6 - 1 playing this exact format...

(remember, the australian world cup squad only includes a handful of players from the test team)

The only odi these two teams played on the aussies last trip to india ended with the indian B team winning by 5 wickets. Ill be honest yall have been smoking for the past 4 world cups (2003 still hurts because of the terrible indian team selection) and the tie against england just underlined my point that the bowling tends to crap the bed every once in a while. I just think that the Indians have a tremendous chance to win this tournament, and this aus team isnt good enough to hold the jockstrap of the previous teams.

sureshs
03-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Summarize the results so far for me. Who is leading?

bharat
03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
http://i.imgur.com/iNJPu.gif

Tennis sensation
03-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Another upset.

This time Bangladesh defeats England

Feña14
03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Another upset.

This time Bangladesh defeats England

As i've been saying, England just don't really want to be there. In 6 months they've had 3-4 days a home with their families, they must be sick of doing the same practice drills over and over again, looking at hotel walls and probably sick of each other too by now. The best thing would be to get home as quickly as possible and give them all a break, then we can go in to the Test series against Sri Lanka and India fresh, that's the one that matters to the players and fans.

sureshs
03-11-2011, 01:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iNJPu.gif

So Sri Lanka and West Indies are tops?

rainingaces
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Feña14 man how many excuses are you going to put out? We are not out yet.

WC is a massive event, bigger then the ashes. Test cricket is dead and the aussie team the worst in decades. I don't expect you to agree because we won them this year but saying England don't care about the WC is clearly wrong. Look at the celebrartions in the camp after beating South Africa one of the best one day sides, if not the best.

They have had time off between the one day series in Australia, if you need a excuse as to why they lost to Ireland and Bangledesh maybe its because they had too many English born players in there team. ;)

Feña14
03-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Feña14 man how many excuses are you going to put out? We are not out yet.

WC is a massive event, bigger then the ashes. Test cricket is dead and the aussie team the worst in decades. I don't expect you to agree because we won them this year but saying England don't care about the WC is clearly wrong. Look at the celebrartions in the camp after beating South Africa one of the best one day sides, if not the best.

They have had time off between the one day series in Australia, if you need a excuse as to why they lost to Ireland and Bangledesh maybe its because they had too many English born players in there team. ;)

Lol, all the talk after the Ashes win was becoming the number one side in the world, specifically how big a test Sri Lanka and India will be this summer. The World Cup didn't get a mention, you say Test cricket is dead, what about the 50 over game? Twenty20 is where all the money is these days and draws huge numbers of fans and players wanting to play it, whilst Test cricket is the holy grail and is where the game has it's roots. If anything it's the 50 over game that is becoming redundant.

As for making excuses, not really. Every cricket writer around has been saying since the end of the Ashes that the schedule is pathetic, 7 ODI's against Australia then the World Cup. The players are knackered, mentally as much as physically. Let's face it, pretty much all the players have been injured at some point since the Ashes, Pietersen, Broad (twice), Swann, Collingwood, Bresnan, Shahzad, Anderson, Morgan etc.. Swann, Collingwood and Anderson have all been away from their new born children. I just want them back as quickly as possible, we've got a huge summer coming up that will dictate what the side can do over the next few years, that's way more important than a few 50 over knock abouts against Ireland and Holland, and the players know it.

kiki
03-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Commonwealth never gives up¡¡¡

Sentinel
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
i got to see the last 10 overs of the Bang Eng match last night.

Peters
03-12-2011, 02:11 AM
WC is a massive event, bigger then the ashes.
Nope. Not for a huge amount of English cricket fans.

Tennis sensation
03-12-2011, 04:32 AM
Tendulkar scores another century but after he got out, Indian batting collapsed.

Will 296 be enough?

Sentinel
03-12-2011, 05:16 AM
i saw India batting, but after that my dad grabbed the remote and he is changing channels so fast i have no idea what the score is. will have to check some website for the score.

Sentinel
03-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Tendulkar scores another century but after he got out, Indian batting collapsed.

Will 296 be enough?
yeah that was pathetic. How the tailenders just fell ... nehra patel zaheer ... poor Dhoni standing on the other end.

Sentinel
03-12-2011, 08:11 AM
shoot ! Nehra screwed it in the last over.

Now what does this loss mean to India? Is it still in the fray. what is required to qualify further ?

Tennis sensation
03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
shoot ! Nehra screwed it in the last over.

Now what does this loss mean to India? Is it still in the fray. what is required to qualify further ?

Don;t worry Sentinel. India have qualified for the quarterfinals no matter what happens in the group stage from now on. But a win against SA would have almost guaranteed them the top spot in the group stages.

Sentinel
03-12-2011, 10:20 PM
^^ thanks for clarifying. So who else is qualifying from the same group ? Has SA and Eng qualified ?

Tennis sensation
03-13-2011, 03:57 AM
^^ thanks for clarifying. So who else is qualifying from the same group ? Has SA and Eng qualified ?

No, they have not qualified. SA, Eng and WI need 1 more win atleast to qualify.

Sentinel
03-16-2011, 05:11 AM
I've sort of lost interest what with the Quake. I did see the end of the Kenya match the other day in which one player was NOT out on 97 or 98 at the end of 50 overs. Would have been his maiden century in a one-day :(

I guess i'll resume interest once the QF's begin...

SempreSami
03-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Oh me oh my, what drama.

Well done Tredderitharan. Kent hero.

sureshs
03-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Update me on who is at the top please. The free channel is gone.

rainingaces
03-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Update me on who is at the top please. The free channel is gone.

England beat the West Indies today to book a place in the super 8s stage of the World cup.

The teams in the super 8s will be India, South Africa, Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, England, New Zealand and the West Indies.

There is a outside chance Bangladesh could qualify but that is slim and would be at the expence of West Indies most likely but England and India are in with a very tiny chance of being knocked out if there are some freak results.

Feña14
03-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Oh me oh my, what drama.

Well done Tredderitharan. Kent hero.

Lol, great name for him.

I don't know why he doesn't play more really. I know we have a great selection of seam bowlers, but i'd say he's probably a better option than Yardy who they seem to prefer.

Tennis sensation
03-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Pakistan ends Australia;s winning streak.

Tennis sensation
03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Today its India vs West Indies

ProgressoR
03-20-2011, 01:41 AM
great win for pakistan, they are so hot and cold, but a great win and first loss in WC for 12 years for australia

Sentinel
03-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Once again India can't bat out 50 overs :(

Tennis sensation
03-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Once again India can't bat out 50 overs :(

It is very sad that the world;s best batting lineup cannot bat the full 50 overs. :(
If I remember correctly then India has batted the full 50 overs just once in the World Cup and that was against Bangladesh. :(

Sentinel
03-20-2011, 05:49 AM
what happened to Sehwag ??? Is he resting for the knockout stage. or is there some injury.

Sentinel
03-20-2011, 08:36 AM
So now India faces AUS and WI faces Pak. and i hear it's knockout from now on.

Has the final 8 been decided. Just post it when it is.

Feña14
03-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Pakistan v West Indies
India v Australia

South Africa v New Zealand
England v Sri Lanka

So my guess for the semi-finals would be Pakistan v India and South Africa v Sri Lanka, those would be brilliant.

Tennis sensation
03-20-2011, 08:50 AM
what happened to Sehwag ??? Is he resting for the knockout stage. or is there some injury.

I think he was rested for the knockout stages.

Tennis sensation
03-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Here is the link for the updated fixtures

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/content/series/381449.html?template=wcfixtures

Dags
03-20-2011, 12:49 PM
So it took a month, but we've arrived at the knock-out stages with no surprise exits. Finally, some matches where winning will actually matter...

Sentinel
03-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Which country you, Dags ?

Dags
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm English. Whilst I support my team, I would far rather watch a tournament where every match counted for something. With 6 games in the group stage, it gives the teams too many chances to recover from bad games - as we saw with England, it was possible to suffer two shock losses and still progress. It's clear to me that this format heavily favours the established sides over the minnows, which is wrong.

I also find a month of play far too long to reach the knock out stages. Certainly where I am, there is no excitement about watching this World Cup. It was discussed a little at the start, but people soon lost interest - it's not even prominent on the sports pages. I'm not sure it will pick up again. Perhaps if England were to beat Sri Lanka, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sentinel
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
My nephews were saying recently that cricket is hot only in India/Pak (south asia). Elsewhere -- England, Australia etc people are more crazy about football and other sports.

Is that true? One of them said cricket will die out since there arent enough countries interested, another disagreed.

Feña14
03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
My nephews were saying recently that cricket is hot only in India/Pak (south asia). Elsewhere -- England, Australia etc people are more crazy about football and other sports.

Is that true? One of them said cricket will die out since there arent enough countries interested, another disagreed.

Hmm, cricket has alot of fans here, although they're right to say it's nowhere near as popular as football.

It's always been that way though, if anything it's getting a bit more popular with the success we've had in the Ashes over the past 6 years.

Sentinel
03-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Wow, WI seems to be in a hurry to get home !

Tennis sensation
03-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Pakistan is our first Semifinalist.

Sentinel
03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Do i need to be nervous about the India vs Au match ? Or is India the stronger side ?

Paul Murphy
03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Australia are the defending champions and have won most of the world cups, I think you should be a little nervous lol

Australia is a shadow of the team that's amassed such a superb record at the Cup.
The side's pace attack is good but there's little in the way of spin, there are also major issues with the middle order and the Aust captain criticised the top order for scoring too slowly in the last match.
In my view it's an unbalanced team with too many weaknesses.
The Indian side is far more solid when it comes to batting and the spin attack is world class.
It's never wise to count out the Aussies but the deserved favourite is India at home.

VaththalKuzhambu
03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
All these could be attributed to the Indian team as well. So....I am not picking one over the other.

Australia is a shadow of the team that's amassed such a superb record at the Cup.
The side's pace attack is good but there's little in the way of spin, there are also major issues with the middle order and the Aust captain criticised the top order for scoring too slowly in the last match.
In my view it's an unbalanced team with too many weaknesses.
The Indian side is far more solid when it comes to batting and the spin attack is world class.
It's never wise to count out the Aussies but the deserved favourite is India at home.

Feña14
03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Do i need to be nervous about the India vs Au match ? Or is India the stronger side ?

It's tough to say, I think India will have a field day against their bowling attack. Smith and Krejza should be easy pickings for the Indian players who are very good against spin. Their pace bowlers are all very fast, but they can also be wayward (Johnson especially).

As for their batting, it's Watson and Hussey that you should be worried about. On paper it seems like they don't have much to worry India, but they're quite gritty and fight as hard as anyone. Australia's best hope is to fight as hard as usual and hope that, along with the pressure of the home fans, will get to India.

Sentinel
03-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Australia are the defending champions and have won most of the world cups, I think you should be a little nervous lol
I am an expert at being nervous - experience from tennis matches. ;)

Tennis sensation
03-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Australia wins the toss, elects to bat first. First ball to be bowled in less than 5 minutes.

Sentinel
03-24-2011, 04:36 AM
Aussies 260-6. Seems to be good on this wicket, i hear.

Sentinel
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Woohooo !! India wins after almost messing it up at one point.

sureshs
03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
So who is going to win the Cup?

Tennis sensation
03-24-2011, 09:30 AM
India wins. Australia out of the World Cup before making the semi finals for the first time since 1992.

The most anticipated match is now official- INDIA vs PAKISTAN Semifinals on 30th March

Tennis sensation
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Woohooo !! India wins after almost messing it up at one point.

So Sentinel, did you enjoy the match?

VaththalKuzhambu
03-24-2011, 09:35 AM
x 2. I hope it is not one-sided in either direction.

The most anticipated match is now official- INDIA vs PAKISTAN Semifinals on 30th March

Sentinel
03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
So Sentinel, did you enjoy the match?

Yup -- because India won -- , but please tell me:

1) what exactly is a FREE HIT ? Seems to be more than just one extra ball as in a Wide.

2) Had there been a tie, there would have been a SUPER OVER or something like that. What does that involve ?

Sentinel
03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
So who is going to win the Cup?
Spain will win the Davis Cup . Or did you mean the Hopman/ Rider/Federation ???

Dags
03-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Yup -- because India won -- , but please tell me:

1) what exactly is a FREE HIT ? Seems to be more than just one extra ball as in a Wide.

2) Had there been a tie, there would have been a SUPER OVER or something like that. What does that involve ?

1.) The batsman cannot be given out when he has a free hit, with the exception of being run out.

2.) Each side nominate 3 batsmen and 1 bowler, and have one over per side. The side with the highest score wins. If 2 batsmen are out (i.e. you only have one left), the over is, erm, over. I've never found out what happens if they tie that over - presumably they repeat until one team wins.

Sentinel
03-24-2011, 07:14 PM
^ Mucho Gracias.

03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
It's tough to say, I think India will have a field day against their bowling attack. Smith and Krejza should be easy pickings for the Indian players who are very good against spin. Their pace bowlers are all very fast, but they can also be wayward (Johnson especially).

As for their batting, it's Watson and Hussey that you should be worried about. On paper it seems like they don't have much to worry India, but they're quite gritty and fight as hard as anyone. Australia's best hope is to fight as hard as usual and hope that, along with the pressure of the home fans, will get to India.

yeah, good observations here Fena, I disagree on your "home tests are bigger than WC" stuff but your knowledge is bang on and I agree other.

That was truly awesome from ponting and india...although it seemed the pressure was getting them in middle overs (attrotious running). then yuvraj.

The bigger picture here is also the 50-over game gets crap recently but you just can't create the drama we saw last night with 20-20. Cricket should always be bat vs ball.

in 3 hours my team (NZ) take on the saffers...heart says yes..mind says no.
we just dont have the team we had in previous decades....but if Ross or Brendan fire things will get interesting...whats your take on england.

I dont think they will beat SL..SL is my pick to take out the whole tourny.

Feña14
03-24-2011, 10:18 PM
yeah, good observations here Fena, I disagree on your "home tests are bigger than WC" stuff but your knowledge is bang on and I agree other.

That was truly awesome from ponting and india...although it seemed the pressure was getting them in middle overs (attrotious running). then yuvraj.

The bigger picture here is also the 50-over game gets crap recently but you just can't create the drama we saw last night with 20-20. Cricket should always be bat vs ball.

in 3 hours my team (NZ) take on the saffers...heart says yes..mind says no.
we just dont have the team we had in previous decades....but if Ross or Brendan fire things will get interesting...whats your take on england.

I dont think they will beat SL..SL is my pick to take out the whole tourny.

Yep, i've got Sri Lanka winning the whole thing too. India v Pakistan and South Africa v Sri Lanka are two fantastic semi-finals, should the last two make it through. Sri Lanka shouldn't have too many problems with England I wouldn't of thought, they have no Pietersen to fear and no Broad. Swann will bowl well as always, but he won't be enough on his own.

As for home tests been bigger than the World Cup, I think test cricket in general is the pinnacle of the sport :) If it's getting up at 4 in the morning to watch England in India, or staying up throughout the night watching them in New Zealand or Australia, that's what really matters to English fans. I suppose that's what we've played here for what? 150 years, that's the form of the game that means the most to us as a Nation.

nomie
03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Yep, i've got Sri Lanka winning the whole thing too. India v Pakistan and South Africa v Sri Lanka are two fantastic semi-finals, should the last two make it through. Sri Lanka shouldn't have too many problems with England I wouldn't of thought, they have no Pietersen to fear and no Broad. Swann will bowl well as always, but he won't be enough on his own.

As for home tests been bigger than the World Cup, I think test cricket in general is the pinnacle of the sport :) If it's getting up at 4 in the morning to watch England in India, or staying up throughout the night watching them in New Zealand or Australia, that's what really matters to English fans. I suppose that's what we've played here for what? 150 years, that's the form of the game that means the most to us as a Nation.

Please keep that to yourself. Last thing we need is a test criket world cup when the 50-over version already takes several months!

03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Please keep that to yourself. Last thing we need is a test criket world cup when the 50-over version already takes several months!

well, if you're a long time cricket fan you'll know what Fena's on about here.

Actually i agree to large extent, nothing beats high quality test cricket for drama...Ashes 2005 are a classic wxample of this....more "nuanced" entertainemnt than the slap-dash of 20-20 which i can tolerate...

I just responding to Englands apparent "lack of inspiration" at a big tourny.
yes..they might be tired...in fact Id start blaming the ECB...what is 7 one-dayers in aussie all about? diff conditions too.

Anyway....This WC is showing the 50-over game can be exciting and dramatic...we will see more of that with pak vs india and other games for sure.

Tennis sensation
03-24-2011, 11:00 PM
1.) The batsman cannot be given out when he has a free hit, with the exception of being run out.

2.) Each side nominate 3 batsmen and 1 bowler, and have one over per side. The side with the highest score wins. If 2 batsmen are out (i.e. you only have one left), the over is, erm, over. I've never found out what happens if they tie that over - presumably they repeat until one team wins.

No they dont.

In case scores are level in the super over, the team hitting maximum sixes in the match will win. If its also same, the teams with maximum fours win the match.

Feña14
03-25-2011, 12:07 AM

Haha :) They're actually talking about having something like that, I believe it's the top 4 teams going head-to-head in a playoff tournament.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9089080.stm

well, if you're a long time cricket fan you'll know what Fena's on about here.

Actually i agree to large extent, nothing beats high quality test cricket for drama...Ashes 2005 are a classic wxample of this....more "nuanced" entertainemnt than the slap-dash of 20-20 which i can tolerate...

I just responding to Englands apparent "lack of inspiration" at a big tourny.
yes..they might be tired...in fact Id start blaming the ECB...what is 7 one-dayers in aussie all about? diff conditions too.

Anyway....This WC is showing the 50-over game can be exciting and dramatic...we will see more of that with pak vs india and other games for sure.

Absolutely, I can see why most of the cricket playing world loves the World Cup and the 50 over game. When you think how Indian cricket blossomed after winning it 1983, Ganguly was talking on commentary yesterday about how it inspired himself and the likes of Dravid and Tendulkar. You obviously have to have huge respect for that win, which ultimately set the foundations for India to become the best team in the world right now.

Yeah the 7 match series after the Ashes was a joke, nobody wanted to play it really, although I think Australia were grateful for the opportunity to get revenge for the Ashes loss. England have been away from home since October, and even before then they had a long summer of cricket against Pakistan which was tough, what with all the accusations, match fixing and bad blood between both teams. Graeme Swann has a column in one of the newspapers here and he said some interesting things about touring and the depression which affects the players. First we had Trescothick retire from International cricket because of it and now Yardy looks to of played his last game too.

Here's a bit of what he had to say:

"One thing I do know, however, is as international cricketers we are frequently away from home for months, often playing fairly meaningless matches scheduled purely to put silver in the coffers of some cricket board.

I'm not going to bleat about the lifestyle - we normally stay in great hotels and have most of our whims and wishes attended to.

But it is inevitable that the treadmill of playing, practising, flying and living out of a suitcase can take a toll"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/cricket/3489705/Touring-takes-your-mind-to-dark-places-says-Graeme-Swann.html

Sentinel
03-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Who do you guys think will win the India-Pak semi ?

I am totally new to cricket - i am watching for the first time thanks to this thread, so i dunno.

No they dont.

In case scores are level in the super over, the team hitting maximum sixes in the match will win. If its also same, the teams with maximum fours win the match.
Just wondering, is that not like deciding a tennis match tie break by who served more aces :D

Tennis sensation
03-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Who do you guys think will win the India-Pak semi ?

I am totally new to cricket - i am watching for the first time thanks to this thread, so i dunno.

Just wondering, is that not like deciding a tennis match tie break by who served more aces :D

Pakistan has NEVER defeated India in a World Cup match. IMO it is anybody;s game. India;s strenght is in their batting whereas Pakistan;s strenght is in their bowling so I guess it will be another exciting match.

I want India to win because the reason is pretty obvious,

Whoever wins, two things are sure
1) There will be a new World Champion
2) There will be atleast one subcontinent team in the final.

Zildite
03-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Pat Symcox is a major SouthAfrica-****, yeesh :???::)

03-25-2011, 04:16 AM
Pat Symcox is a major SouthAfrica-****, yeesh :???::)

Symcox! thats a blast from the bast...classic SA cricketer..no quarter given.

nz 221/8...actually I'm quite pleased we've given ourselves a fighting chance.

Ryder and Taylor showed a lot of dilgence and commitment..pity they couldn't just stay in a bit longer.

at the 35 over mark..NZ looking good...but I think Styris and Ryder panicked too much about the runrate. It was a sudden change of "right we'll go after it now"...while yes we were a little slow..thats no need for pre-meditated and
"slog" shotmaking. credit also to the SA bowlers..particularly steyn for bowling great "at the death" bowling following the batsman etc. having said that...singh last night showed great shotmaking doesn't means you forget about plying each ball on it's merits..

Anyway..Game ON! 220 is about 20 runs short but who cares..some quick wickets and anything could happen...eg the england SA game.

Sentinel
03-25-2011, 05:10 AM
Pakistan has NEVER defeated India in a World Cup match. IMO it is anybody;s game. India;s strenght is in their batting whereas Pakistan;s strenght is in their bowling so I guess it will be another exciting match.

I want India to win because the reason is pretty obvious,

Whoever wins, two things are sure
1) There will be a new World Champion
2) There will be atleast one subcontinent team in the final.

SL vs IN/Pak would make it a subcontinent final !

Acco to my newspapers the entire Pak team was rooting for India (against Australia).

Sentinel
03-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Nz > Sa. .......

Tennis sensation
03-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Nz > Sa. .......

The World Cup jinx for SA continues. They have NEVER won a knockout game in the World Cup ever.

Deserved victory for NZ though. They bowled very well and now they will play SL/Eng in the semi finals.

Bobby Jr
03-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Watched the highlights earlier... for SA to get all-out for 172 is astonishing. NZ pwnd SA yet again in a world cup. It's not 4 times in 6 matches.

Sentinel
03-26-2011, 04:43 AM
England out for 229. Should be easy for SL to match ???

Zildite
03-26-2011, 04:49 AM
It's not an easy pitch to score on, but they should be more used to those conditions I hope they do win.

Sentinel
03-26-2011, 04:54 AM
^ I came in during the last over of ENG, it did say below that the average scored in the first innings here was 195.

Feña14
03-26-2011, 05:40 AM
^ I came in during the last over of ENG, it did say below that the average scored in the first innings here was 195.

This is true, they also said the majority of the teams batting first win at this stadium. Having said that, I think Sri Lanka should be fine.

Sentinel
03-26-2011, 06:58 AM
^ I just peeked. SL is way above the required run rate.

Sentinel
03-26-2011, 08:06 AM
woow ! tharanga also managed to get his 100 in time. SL > ENG by 10 wickets.

03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
woow ! tharanga also managed to get his 100 in time. SL > ENG by 10 wickets.

A quick guide to world cricket for tennis fans>(50 over game)

Australia(aka Federer) : have been dominant for a long timein the past but their star is waning. Past their peak. Thursdays loss to india was akin to djokovics defeat of fed at the AO.
A clear sign agreat team on the slide (aussie dominant since 95

India (aka nadal): have been the best more or less for the last few years...unlike nadal..India hasn't won anything big yet.
but like nadals injuryworries..india can be caught wanting byit'sbowlinglacking...thats why theres somuch focus on india.

Sri Lanka(aka Djokovic): A great teamthat have been good for whilenowwith great balance. people pickto win this like people picked djoko at the AO this year..a clear sign life is good now.

Pakistan(aka delPotro): a very talented and dangerous team that like delpo wonbig in2009 but have been knee-capped by match fixing allegations (similar to delpo'sinjury woes last year)

South Africa(aka Murray): very consistent andnodoubting their ability towin..but major questionmarks between the ears.

New Zealand( aka Soderling): good when theirbatting is firing (like sod's forehand) but no-ones convinced they will win a big title yet...have histroicallybeen pwned mentallyby aussie(eg head-tohead fed -soderling)..but nowthat aussies out ofthe tourny..they willbe feeling better mentally.

West Indies (aka davydenko) threaten to claimupsets over bigger sides butnever turnup in big tournaments.

England (aka Roddick) were more dangerous with flintoff (rods forehand 2003-2004) ..but are slowly realising they are justnotgoodenough inthe big tournaments.

Yeah so thats a crazy but accurate comparison if you guys are wondering about relative strengths/weaknesses.

Sentinel
03-26-2011, 07:47 PM
^ thanks, obsessive. Thanks for taking the time to put that down. :D

SempreSami
03-26-2011, 08:43 PM
A quick guide to world cricket for tennis fans>(50 over game)

Australia(aka Federer) : have been dominant for a long timein the past but their star is waning. Past their peak. Thursdays loss to india was akin to djokovics defeat of fed at the AO.
A clear sign agreat team on the slide (aussie dominant since 95

India (aka nadal): have been the best more or less for the last few years...unlike nadal..India hasn't won anything big yet.
but like nadals injuryworries..india can be caught wanting byit'sbowlinglacking...thats why theres somuch focus on india.

Sri Lanka(aka Djokovic): A great teamthat have been good for whilenowwith great balance. people pickto win this like people picked djoko at the AO this year..a clear sign life is good now.

Pakistan(aka delPotro): a very talented and dangerous team that like delpo wonbig in2009 but have been knee-capped by match fixing allegations (similar to delpo'sinjury woes last year)

South Africa(aka Murray): very consistent andnodoubting their ability towin..but major questionmarks between the ears.

New Zealand( aka Soderling): good when theirbatting is firing (like sod's forehand) but no-ones convinced they will win a big title yet...have histroicallybeen pwned mentallyby aussie(eg head-tohead fed -soderling)..but nowthat aussies out ofthe tourny..they willbe feeling better mentally.

West Indies (aka davydenko) threaten to claimupsets over bigger sides butnever turnup in big tournaments.

England (aka Roddick) were more dangerous with flintoff (rods forehand 2003-2004) ..but are slowly realising they are justnotgoodenough inthe big tournaments.

Yeah so thats a crazy but accurate comparison if you guys are wondering about relative strengths/weaknesses.

Pffft we were by far the most entertaining team in the tournament.

Sentinel
03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
If you had to liken individual players to Federer, Nadal and Đoković who would they be ?

Who are the tennis equivalents to Tendulkar and Sehwag ?

03-26-2011, 09:16 PM
8-)If you had to liken individual players to Federer, Nadal and Đoković who would they be ?

Who are the tennis equivalents to Tendulkar and Sehwag ?

well..thats more tricky...but then Ian Chappell did say cricket is a game of individuals masquerading as team sport.

The aussie team 1995-2008-) had dominant individuals..but since Warnes retired I guess you could place Ricky Ponting = Fed and Sehwag = Nadal.

SempreSemi..based on that comment I trying to work out if youre saffer or english...either way you're right..both teamsare entertaining..specially england..but then thats like saying tsonga is far more entertaining than nadal..he probably is...but like i say..I was trying for relative strengths/weak

03-27-2011, 01:42 AM
F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wrote a whole paragraph and accidently went to a different website, ^pretty good try but you made a couple mistakes and a big mistake with West Indies, okay I will sumarize it :P

Austrailia - Federer - 4 time champion and 2 time finalist even though completly different than Federer character wise

West Indies - Nadal - 2 time champion and 1 time finalist

Sri Lanka/India/Pakistan - Djokovic/Delpo/Roddick - All 3 equally sucessful with 1 world cup and being a finalist

England - Murray - 3 time finalist and has hosted more than any other country

yes..good.effort..youre..coming from he angle of WC's from 1975..fair enough
can't complain.....my angle was recent form over the last decade.

i would say nadal =india is my worst comparison,because unlike india..nadal has won some big tournys recently. but their bowling is suspect IMHO...
..much like nadals fitness.

sureshs
03-27-2011, 09:37 AM
People here have arranged for the India-Pak semifinal to be streamed live from 1 am 30th night.

West Coast Ace
03-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm following it a little. I was in HK when it started - they were showing it in a bar and some Aussies were helping us Americans with some of the whys, whats, and hows. TV must love it - plenty of opportunities for commercials...

Last few days haven't been kind to English sports fans (except for the football team whooping up on Wales - mismatch): Murray with another sad loss, Eng loses in the cricket, and NZ beats Eng in the Sevens rugby in HK.

Sentinel
03-27-2011, 07:39 PM
People here have arranged for the India-Pak semifinal to be streamed live from 1 am 30th night.
Good news. Is this on some indian channel or what ? Is it pay per view ??

Zildite
03-28-2011, 12:31 AM
West Indies - Nadal - 2 time champion and 1 time finalist

West Indies shouldn't be like Nadal considering how bad their results have been since winning twice and being runner up in the first three tournaments.

In terms of comparitive results I think they are more like....Monica Seles? :)
A concentrated patch of high success and then a marked decline after.

03-28-2011, 12:52 AM
West Indies shouldn't be like Nadal considering how bad their results have been since winning twice and being runner up in the first three tournaments.

In terms of comparitive results I think they are more like....Monica Seles? :)
A concentrated patch of high success and then a marked decline after.

Yes I mentioned that before...most of my ideas come from I guess 2008 on
and comparing "form players" to "form teams" of 2011 in both sports.

The WestIndies are like Lleyton Hewitt..have seen better days LOL

I'm hoping NZ pulls an upset on sri lanka..but they have class all over the show..going to be very difficult unless McCullum or Taylor seriously fire.

Zildite
03-28-2011, 01:06 AM
The batting stat books are not good reading for those guys vs Sri Lanka.

Taylor - 23 @ 70.9
McCullum - 16.53 @ 66.56 (plus he hasn't got a good score against a decent team yet at this tournament)

Both well below their total career averages.
Very difficult indeed :o

Feña14
03-28-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm hoping Sri Lanka make it, they've always been a nice team to watch and I backed them before the tournament. I also think an India v Sri Lanka final would be fitting.

It wouldn't be a bad thing to have New Zealand break up the all Asia final, but I can't see it.

As for England, Broad as the next ODI captain? Give it a go, he's pretty fiery and one of those players who can put the rest of the team on his back and go and win games.

Sentinel
03-28-2011, 08:50 PM
So the first semi-final is to die (er i mean today).
SL vs NZ. I'll probably try to catch the SL batting.

I've been hearing that the Pak PM Gilani will be attending the second semi. My aunt saying there could be rioting in Mohali if India loses.

KARACHI – Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani will attend the March 30 Cricket World Cup semi-final between Pakistan and India in Mohali, India, at the invitation of Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh, according to Pakistani Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Firdous Ashiq Awan.

She quoted Gilani as saying: “The invitation from the Indian premier and our acceptance indicate that both countries are seriously coming closer with a realisation that dialogue is the only way forward.”

Such an invitation will boost diplomacy as the countries stand poised to resume bilateral talks, she sai
http://www.newstoday.com.bd/index.php?option=details&news_id=23484&date=2011-03-28

DragonBlaze
03-28-2011, 10:29 PM
So the first semi-final is to die (er i mean today).
SL vs NZ. I'll probably try to catch the SL batting.

I've been hearing that the Pak PM Gilani will be attending the second semi. My aunt saying there could be rioting in Mohali if India loses.

http://www.newstoday.com.bd/index.php?option=details&news_id=23484&date=2011-03-28

There probably will. Our nation can unfortunately get a bit too crazy about cricket, especially considering it's Pakistan. But it was nice to hear that Pak was rooting for India against the Aussies :)

I seriously want India to win, but am happy with Pak as well, they deserve some joy in their nation after all their troubles.

But damn, I really feel as if Tendulkar deserves a world cup to his name. It would be a shame if he didn't. Kinda like Fed and the French Open :???: (till 2009 anyway).

Sentinel
03-29-2011, 12:59 AM
SL NZ has started --- bye.

Tennis sensation
03-29-2011, 04:38 AM
NZ 217 all out

I don;t think it will be enough but you never know, one or two wickets and the game may turn on its head.

SempreSami
03-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Chuckeritharan with a wicket off the final ball he 'bowls' in Sri Lanka :roll:

subz
03-29-2011, 05:18 AM
Comparing Pakistan to Roddick or Delpo ?????

Team Pakistan is like Marat Safin...complete badass and immensely talented and even if they lose, the opponents know that they are way cooler than them :)

sureshs
03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Good news. Is this on some indian channel or what ? Is it pay per view ??

No they are streaming it from the web with permission in an auditorium I think. But I doubt if I will stay awake the whole night after working the whole day before and need to work the next day too.

Tennis sensation
03-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Sri Lanka is the first finalist of the 2011 World Cup

Tennis sensation
03-29-2011, 08:59 AM
For the first time ever in the history of Cricket, the final of a Cricket World Cup will be contested between two subcontinent countries.

Sentinel
03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Sri Lanka almost does a ******** in the end :D

Tennis sensation
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
India Pakistan. 2nd Semifinal to start in about 3 hours.

Sentinel
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
^ I was coming in to say just that. The moment of truth approacheth.

An all Asian final, as someone was saying.

Tennis sensation
03-29-2011, 10:07 PM
^ I was coming in to say just that. The moment of truth approacheth.

An all Asian final, as someone was saying.

It looks like the World Cup has made you interested in Cricket?

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 12:39 AM
India wins the toss elects to bat first

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 01:25 AM
sehwag gone mentalistic

shame I cant find a stream that gets past my work filter, am having to follow live text on cricinfo and bbc.

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 01:26 AM
phew he is out, LBW

Feña14
03-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Out goes Sehwag, in comes Gambhir :) scary.

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 02:03 AM
yes, india definitely on top but to be expected, this is their strong point, pak could do with another couple of wickets before Ind get to 100, otherwise 300 on the cards.

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 02:06 AM
It was certainly an eventful first hour.

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 02:12 AM
It was certainly an eventful first hour.

Oh yes it was.

Here is hoping Tendulkar scores 200 now that he almost got out 3 times!

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 02:19 AM
Oh yes it was.

Here is hoping Tendulkar scores 200 now that he almost got out 3 times!

I am still surprised that he survived the LBW decision because to the human eye it looked OUT

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 02:25 AM
RR under 6 and gambhir out, a tiny bit better for pak, but still india very much in charge

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Sachin gets his fourth life.

Younis Khan drops him of Shahid Afridi.

subz
03-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Sachin gets his fourth life.

Younis Khan drops him of Shahid Afridi.

I cant believe this.. Pakistan will certainly pay for their mistakes now. I am more shocked that Gul lost his nerve and bowled very very badly. Pakistan is an ON and OFF team. I think they forgot to turn the switch ON today :(

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 02:40 AM
^^ yes Gul finally buckling under the most pressure, but he will get another chance or two later.

And yes I cannot help thinking Sachin will get a monster score now after all the chances he has been given

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 02:51 AM
now we're talking, 2 quick wickets, in form Yuvraj out, the game is well set now

Pak almost but not quite on equal terms, Sachin needs a big score i think for ind to get close to 300 or more

subz
03-30-2011, 03:20 AM
Sachin dropped for the third time !!!! Can u beleive this ? Pakistan is handing him a a century ... a gift from a neighbour :)

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 03:27 AM
^^ yes the guy deserves his 100th ton, let him have it

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Tendulkar dropped for the fourth time in this match.

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 03:29 AM
Sachin has been dropped on 27, 45, 70 and 81.

subz
03-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Tendulkar dropped for the fourth time in this match.

Yup, three times on Afridi's bowling and now Hafeez as well. Well Pakistan really really ...i mean REALLY want Indians to rejoice with a century from the little master :)

Man even Tendulkar would be freaking out ...

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 03:34 AM
bad luck sachin, luck finally ran out

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 03:35 AM
At last, Pakistan takes a catch offered by Tendulkar.

Tendulkar departs for 85.

subz
03-30-2011, 03:36 AM
bad luck sachin, luck finally ran out

Afridi makes the catch....which is fitting since on his bowling he was dropped three times !!!

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 03:38 AM
Now I am getting very nervous.

189-5 in 38 overs doesnot look good.

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 03:48 AM
yes, afridi and the catch, if you want it done right, do it yourself!!

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 03:52 AM
270-285 would be pretty good now for india and not bad for pak

subz
03-30-2011, 03:53 AM
Dhoni dropped by Akmal :/ I think Pakistan has a good bowling attack BUT the fielders dont support them at all ...such a shame ..

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Dhoni finally out, dont know if that is good or bad for pak

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 04:07 AM
This is looking really bad for India.

subz
03-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Only if they had cought Tendulkar the first time....Pakistan team is a complete heart breaker ...

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 04:12 AM
you never know with pak, even 250 might be enough, they can easily be bowled out for that if they are on an off day

subz
03-30-2011, 04:21 AM
you never know with pak, even 250 might be enough, they can easily be bowled out for that if they are on an off day

Yes, even 180 is enough ... I am very disappointed with Umar Gul. He has bowled so well in this cup but today the nerves and pressure got the better of him. His 7 overs have gone for 59!

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 04:23 AM
yes, his last over was terrible 3 4's, he needs to call it a day for this innings, or afridi needs to do it for him

subz
03-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Gul has costed us about 30 runs plus about 50 runs for missing the Tendulkar catches ... Pakistan have gifted India about 80 runs ...

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 04:41 AM
and afridi beings him on to bowl the 49th over another mistake, that is about 25 runs in his last two overs, he didnt need to use him, Razzaq has 8 overs left, this 20-30 runs off Gul could be the difference in the end.

Dedans Penthouse
03-30-2011, 04:42 AM
Just curious:

Has anyone 'bowled' a no-hitter?

Poll:
Who was the better batsman:

-George 'the Babe' Ruth
-Don 'the Don' Bradman

;-)

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 04:43 AM
Erm, what's a no hitter?

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 04:44 AM
if you mean the non-striker, then he can only be out by being run out

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 04:46 AM
Pakistan needs 261 to win in 50 overs.

Dedans Penthouse
03-30-2011, 04:46 AM
^^^^^^
Loosely speaking, to put it in cricket parlance, it would be when the bowler's dismissed all the batsman he's faced

Tennis sensation
03-30-2011, 04:49 AM
^^^^^^
Loosely speaking, to put it in cricket parlance, it would be when the bowler's dismissed all the batsman he's faced

If you are talking about getting all the 10 wickets in an innings then it has never happened in ODI;s

It has happened twice in test matches.
Jim Laker took 10 wickets in an innings and Anil Kumble of India took 10 wickets in an innings against Pakistan in 1999.

Sentinel
03-30-2011, 04:50 AM
wow. so many comments during the match. Great start by Sehwag, then it slowed down to a crawl.

Yuvi out on duck --- sheeet !!!

subz
03-30-2011, 04:54 AM
The way Pakistan bat can never be predicted .... this can turn into a very very tense chase or a big collapse of Pakistani batting ...

psYcon
03-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Go Pakistan! You can do it!

ProgressoR
03-30-2011, 05:08 AM
both sides will be happy with that, pak would have taken it after sehwag sent mental and india would have taken it while their innings was going wrong in the second half.

game finely poised

dlk
03-30-2011, 05:18 AM
I am totally unfamiliar with Cricket, but saw this on ESPN this AM. It's the first time I've seen them cover Cricket on their main page.

http://espn.go.com/

Sentinel
03-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Erm, what's a no hitter?
Not sure whether it means the entire team should get out on 0 which would have never happened.

Or

A maiden over, too many to count.

Or

A bowler who has given no runs in an entire innings, also he should have bowled all his stipulated overs, or some minimum.

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 06:58 AM
This is still so so so close.

YESSSSSSSSS, Younis gone!

VaththalKuzhambu
03-30-2011, 07:10 AM
113-4@27.1. Not looking good............for Pakistan. At this stage, India would have to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory, which they have very well been capable of in past world cup matches.

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 07:16 AM
113-4@27.1. Not looking good............for Pakistan. At this stage, India would have to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory, which they have very well been capable of in past world cup matches.

Indeed. Which is why I say it's still close.

SempreSami
03-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Misbah is doing well to take the game away from Pakistan at the moment, 10 runs from 30 balls.

subz
03-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Misbah is doing well to take the game away from Pakistan at the moment, 10 runs from 30 balls.

LOL :)

I think Gul took the game away with the horrible bowling and the 6 drop catches didnt help either: that is just bad cricket ! Otherwise Pakistan had the potential to restrict India to 220 range ...

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 07:50 AM

Yeah dont know what he's doing, but hell I ain't complaining!

subz
03-30-2011, 09:09 AM
India wins and will face SL on Saturday. I will be rooting for my 3rd fav. team in this WC i.e. SL (after Pak and SA)

Sentinel
03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Wooohoooo !!! That was close. I almost thought Pak would win at one stage when they were 4 down.

Sadly Razzak and Afridi did not do much.

Firecrackers going on here for the last 15 mins. I suppose crackers will keep giong for an hour or 2.

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
ALLLLLLLLLLL RIGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Come on India, let's take this all the way.

But man I feel a bit sorry for the Pakistani's especially Afridi, he looked distraught.

And to be honest, India only won because Pakistan dropped all those catches. Really unlucky for them.

Sentinel
03-30-2011, 09:28 AM
^^ Hey, that's part of fielding. Pak fielding was not good, India fielded very well.

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
^^ Hey, that's part of fielding. Pak fielding was not good, India fielded very well.

Indeed. I must say our bowling and fielding really surprised me. We were actually GOOD. :shock:

Sentinel
03-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes, i do feel for Pakistan, too.

But did you notice that the Pak wicketkeeper (Akmal), kept giving a loud "commentary" throughout. After each ball he would say "shabash" 4-5 times and "well bowled" too. Does the batsman not find that distracting ?
Is this allowed -- obviously it is ...

Kam2010
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Typical Pak performance, clumsy in the field and clueless with the bat

Bartelby
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
The nearest thing to a no-hitter would be the number of maidens - overs where no run was scored - an individual bowler bowled in a match.

It's impossible for an innings or match to end with no runs scored off the bat, so its the bowlers - usually around five but the whole team could bowl - who get the most wickets for least runs who are the best.

As a part of this equation, maidens indicate skillful bowling.

Bartelby
03-30-2011, 09:51 AM
India seems to be the best team, but there's only one final.

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 09:57 AM
India seems to be the best team, but there's only one final.

Indeed, and just like major finals in tennis, the person/team with the best form on the day wins. Hopefully it's India!

PureAlph4
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
The question now is which legend receives the fairytale swansong to a historic career.

Murali or Sachin?

DragonBlaze
03-30-2011, 09:59 AM
The question now is which legend receives the fairytale swansong to a historic career.

Murali or Sachin?

True that. I guess in a way you can be happy for either team if they win.

Bartelby
03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
One day pitches are designed for the batters so Sachin should have the greater influence on the game.

Dags
03-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Just curious:

Has anyone 'bowled' a no-hitter?

In one-day matches, two bowling feats that would be worthy of mention are:

- a fifer (a 5 wicket haul, an abbreviation of 'Five wickets for x runs')
- a hat-trick (3 wickets in consecutive balls)

Bowling stats tend to focus on wickets rather than the economy rate, even though both are important (particularly in a limited overs match).

Cesc Fabregas
03-30-2011, 01:24 PM
India are fairly boring to watch, a mediocre attack but they have some decent batting. Hope Sri Lanka's flair wins the World Cup.

Defcon
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM
None of the analysts are pointing out one crucial difference - fielding! Pakistan fumbled at least 4 boundaries and many others, and combined with India's sharp fielding, that's at least 20-30 runs.

That's the match right there.

Defcon
03-30-2011, 03:32 PM
And what a star Afridi has turned out to be - he is a true ambassador for his country and very well spoken. Someone new watching this could not even imagine the acrimony and malevolence that exists in the subcontinent between 2 nuclear powers.

Sentinel
03-30-2011, 07:49 PM
And what a star Afridi has turned out to be - he is a true ambassador for his country and very well spoken. Someone new watching this could not even imagine the acrimony and malevolence that exists in the subcontinent between 2 nuclear powers.
Really ?

Totally agree, Afridi handled it very well, spoke very well after the match.

VaththalKuzhambu
03-31-2011, 07:18 AM
I think the Indian play realize the gravity of the situation. Tendulkar will also be pretty determined, as this may be his last appearance for the world cup. Plus, they will have the hometown advantage. If the team batting first posts 280-300 runs, it would be a competitive match. Outside that score range, the match is likely to be one-sided, one way or the other.

Yes same, the Sri Lankan team play with a lot of passion, I think they will win:)

SempreSami
03-31-2011, 07:29 AM
India are fairly boring to watch, a mediocre attack but they have some decent batting. Hope Sri Lanka's flair wins the World Cup.

Agree agree agree.

sureshs
04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
So everyone all excited? I will be playing tennis at 7 pm, then dinner, and then I will sleep through the match. Can't wake up at 2 am or whatever.