PDA

View Full Version : Lost my cool in a cricket match >(

subz
02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I was playing cricket and had an argument with a player of the opposing team. I was bowling (equivalent of pitching in baseball) and he was the striker (batsman). He pointed out that I cannot run behind the umpire before emerging out and throwing the bowl. His tone was very rude. He was wrong; I was doing this well within the rule. Anyway, I lost my cool and to prove that I can get him out anyway I bowl, I changed my style and we lost the match :/ I was so angry that he got into my head; in the next match I volunteered to be the closest fielder when he was the striker in the game, I cheered for my team mates in close proximity of him, like two feet behind him on every ball he was about to play. I got him confused and he got out :) I also in the match, when he was waiting in his side of the team, threw a ball close to him: / Just to get his reaction and let him know that I will hit him with a ball. In the third match, when he was running for runs and I was fielding the ball, I aim for him a couple of times but the rascal always reached the crease on time before I can justify throwing the ball and "accidentally" hitting him. Now, you will be thinking that I have gone completely mental and that is what I think as well now, one hour after the match. But at that moment I wanted to hit him. He is not liked by a lot of people and I am not the only one who has been subjected to his mind game. He also sledges a lot. I mean a LOT! Trash talking comes natural to him ... I want to get him next time when we play on next Tuesday. My plan is to either hit him “accidentally”, punch him or while running, just elbow him ....
The thing is I am very calm most of the times and the last time I lost it was a long time ago (about 2 years ago) and against the same guy !

r2473
02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
crikey mate

That's a real sticky wicket.

jmverdugo
02-15-2011, 02:49 PM
that is what happen when you play contact violent sports...

dlk
02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
crikey mate

Hey'd you take out a billboard ad for that $20 you found? Or just repaid everyone at the store when you were there?

r2473
02-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey'd you take out a billboard ad for that $20 you found? Or just repaid everyone at the store when you were there?

I bought tickets to a test cricket match. It only lasted 30 hours (played over 7 days) and they only scored 1,500 runs. What a rip off.

I asked for and received my money back (obviously).

sureshs
02-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I was playing cricket and had an argument with a player of the opposing team. I was bowling (equivalent of pitching in baseball) and he was the striker (batsman). He pointed out that I cannot run behind the umpire before emerging out and throwing the bowl. His tone was very rude. He was wrong; I was doing this well within the rule. Anyway, I lost my cool and to prove that I can get him out anyway I bowl, I changed my style and we lost the match :/ I was so angry that he got into my head; in the next match I volunteered to be the closest fielder when he was the striker in the game, I cheered for my team mates in close proximity of him, like two feet behind him on every ball he was about to play. I got him confused and he got out :) I also in the match, when he was waiting in his side of the team, threw a ball close to him: / Just to get his reaction and let him know that I will hit him with a ball. In the third match, when he was running for runs and I was fielding the ball, I aim for him a couple of times but the rascal always reached the crease on time before I can justify throwing the ball and "accidentally" hitting him. Now, you will be thinking that I have gone completely mental and that is what I think as well now, one hour after the match. But at that moment I wanted to hit him. He is not liked by a lot of people and I am not the only one who has been subjected to his mind game. He also sledges a lot. I mean a LOT! Trash talking comes natural to him ... I want to get him next time when we play on next Tuesday. My plan is to either hit him “accidentally”, punch him or while running, just elbow him ....
The thing is I am very calm most of the times and the last time I lost it was a long time ago (about 2 years ago) and against the same guy !

It is batsman

subz
02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
It is batsman

I just wanted to make non-cricket playing people involved as well. Since more about the fight and less about the actual game. And I did mention batsman in my article :

I was playing cricket and had an argument with a player of the opposing team. I was bowling (equivalent of pitching in baseball) and he was the striker (batsman).

sureshs
02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Why don't you just bowl him a googly or a doosra?

subz
02-15-2011, 03:26 PM

i am a medium pacer :/ my weapon is my line and length.

I feel a bit better now :) Will eat some ice cream to cool down and let it go for now ;) But next Tuesday, if I get a chance, I will throw a ball at him :)

albino smurf
02-16-2011, 05:42 AM
sounds like he's in your head already. If I were betting on the match I'd pick him. You should probably focus on playing your game and not on trying to hit him with the ball. what if you did and he died? Would you feel bad for the rest of your life? Those cricket balls are no joke. And its premeditated violence apparently as you've already acknowledged that you are going to try to hit him with it publicly.

Tennis sensation
02-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Just cool down mate. Get him OUT in the next match and the problem would obviously get solved. I always try to avoid sledging whenever I am playing cricket (batting, bowling or fielding) because I know that I will never be able to perform well when I get angry.

ProgressoR
02-16-2011, 06:22 AM
bowl a beamer, right at his throat then apologise lamely. then do it again a couple overs later.

I hate sledgers.

jazar
02-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Well that's just not cricket old chap.

subz
02-16-2011, 07:03 AM
bowl a beamer, right at his throat then apologise lamely. then do it again a couple overs later.

I hate sledgers.

sounds like a good plan to me :)

Tennis sensation
02-16-2011, 07:27 AM

I hate sledgers.

Well as far as I remember, You bowl two beamers in an innings and you are off the attack.

westside
02-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Bouncer, Bouncer, Yorker...repeat. Your team should have been in the batsmans ear at all times after that.

Sentinel
02-16-2011, 08:38 AM
lost your cool, eh ? In the local park i go for a walk, there are plenty of teams playing. Usually after every ball there is a huge fight over whether its a run-out, wide ball, no ball, or a six or four (if the ball touched the leaf of tree on the edge, then its not a six), etc etc. Each ball is fought out.

It's okay, dude. oh by the way, what's your nationality ?

Sentinel
02-16-2011, 08:42 AM
The guys i see playing daily, bowl a "bhatta" (which for those who are not desi, means its a throw rather than a smooth action). I trust its illegal, but i recall seeing some sri lankan bowler doing it a couple years back.

Dedans Penthouse
02-16-2011, 08:50 AM
I bought tickets to a test cricket match. It only lasted 30 hours (played over 7 days) and they only scored 1,500 runs. What a rip off.

I asked for and received my money back (obviously).Well played

OP: if you were within the rules to "run behind the umpire before emerging out and throwing the bowl" then why wouldn't the umpire have nipped it in the bud and told the batsman to put a sock in it and that it was legal for you to do so?

In any event, never let 'em see you sweat.

Heed the following words below! The words of venerable British cricket professor, Dr. Ray Davies:

Some people say that life's a game, well if this is so-
I'd like to know the rules on which the game of life is based.
I know of no game more fitting than the age old game of cricket
It has honour, it has character, and it's British
Now God laid down the rules of life when he wrote those Ten Commandments
And to cricket those ten same rules shall apply
Show compassion and self-righteousness and be honest above all
And come to God's call with bat and ball

Now the Devil has a player and he's called the Demon Bowler,
He's shrewd, he's rude, and he's wicked
He is sent by Sinful Satan and he's out to take your wicket
And you know...that that's not cricket.
He'll baffle you with googles with leg breaks and offspin
But keep a level head and don't let that demon in.
So keep a straight bat at all times, let the Bible be your guide
And you'll get by, you'll get by

All through your life he'll try to bowl you out
Beware the Demon Bowler
He's crafty and deceitful and he's try to L.B.W.
And bowl a maiden over
The Devil takes the weak in spirit and so we must always be courageous
And remember that God is on your side.
So keep old Satan in your sights and play the straight and narrow line
And you'll get by, yes you'll get by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6cdkH6_bsQ

VaththalKuzhambu
02-16-2011, 08:51 AM
If you are a medium pacer, hiding behind the umpire before emerging out and throwing the bowl will not help in any way.

Medium pacers in cricket are like pushers in tennis.

Dave M
02-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Bouncer, Bouncer, Yorker...repeat. Your team should have been in the batsmans ear at all times after that.
A medium paced bouncer isn't very bouncey!

If you hit him i'd expect it back ten fold when his oppertunity arrises.You can hide the ball as you run up but you can't hide so he can not see you.
This has gone on over more than one match?Sounds like he owns you i'm afraid, hitting him with a throw willo make it clearer in his mind.