PDA

View Full Version : Your Guitar GOAT.

juanparty
02-15-2011, 02:39 PM
http://www.threedonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Van-Halen-guitar.jpg

r2473
02-15-2011, 02:47 PM
John Williams

Of course he would say it was Agustín Barrios.

Power Player
02-15-2011, 02:55 PM
There is none..I hate these threads. I clicked because I thought it was about guitars themselves, and I was going to say Gibson Les Paul.

ReopeningWed
02-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Going to have to go with Rodge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4wyeI74UA

TahoeTennis
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
1. Nuno Bettencourt
2. Steve Vai
3. John Petrucci

Sox Fan
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Jimi Hendrix

stoo
02-15-2011, 05:17 PM
L e s P a u l

SystemicAnomaly
02-15-2011, 05:47 PM
There is none..I hate these threads. I clicked because I thought it was about guitars themselves, and I was going to say Gibson Les Paul.

Pre-war Martin (acoustic).

SystemicAnomaly
02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Andre Segovia for classical guitar.

Flea, Geddy Lee or Chris Squire for bass guitar (rock).

Michael Hedges for harp guitar:

http://www.harpguitars.net/players/hedges-klein.jpg
http://www.harpguitars.net/players/hedges5-blaustein.jpg

SoBad
02-15-2011, 06:14 PM
LOL@ the poll, Shura Uman definitely...

Z-Man
02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
My GOAT acoustic: Larrivee D-9 Brazilian
My GOAT electric: Gretsch White Falcon

GOAT Pedal: MXR Phase 90 or ProCo Rat

Power Player
02-15-2011, 06:24 PM
My GOAT acoustic: Larrivee D-9 Brazilian
My GOAT electric: Gretsch White Falcon

GOAT Pedal: MXR Phase 90 or ProCo Rat

I have both pedals..both are classics.

tricky
02-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Some Favorites

1) Kevin Shields (of My Bloody Valentine)
2) J. Mascis (of Dinosaur Jr)
3) Edge
4) Peter Hook
5) Nick McCabe (Verve)
6) Tom Verlaine (Television)
7) Mani (Stone Roses)
8) Christian Fennesz
9) Robert Fripp
10) Dimebag Darrell (RIP)

Touch of Grey
02-15-2011, 07:36 PM
What about Jerry Garcia? Jimmy Page? Dickey Betts? Brian May?

JoelDali
02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Fender....

RealityPolice
02-15-2011, 07:57 PM
None of the above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ

Totai
02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
no zakk wylde on the list?

jhick
02-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Out of this list, I would say Clapton.

Some of my other favorite guitarists (not on the list):

David Gilmour
Mark Knopfler
Phil Keaggy
Eric Johnson

Dilettante
02-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Hendrix, period.

Power Player
02-17-2011, 06:02 AM
This list is so limited. I feel like people who make these lists just read guitar world all day and have no idea about the thousands of incredible guitar players everywhere. I mean Kirk Hammett? Wow..I don't even know how you can compare musicians since I have been one all my life and never once entered a guitar playing contest. The only contests we had was who could have the hottest GF or drink the most.

ryushen21
02-17-2011, 06:37 AM
A lot of greats omitted on this poll.

Re the players, Paco de Lucia, Al di Meola, Steve Vai, Wes Montgomery, Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, John Petrucci, I could go on and on.

Eric Johnson is a jerk BTW. Great player undoubtedly but so self absorbed and full of himself.

Re the guitars themselves, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez RG series, Fender Strat...

813wilson
02-17-2011, 06:41 AM
out of left field but Roy Clark isn't half bad....

To PPlayer's point, in a way; I'm most impressed when I see a guitarist playing/performing an arrangement in a style of music that they aren't famous for. it makes you appreciate their talent - kind of like a perfect 1 hand backhand....

Power Player
02-17-2011, 07:08 AM
good point. I have a friend who is a bigtime metal producer and usually takes 2-3 solos on an album he does just because he is that good and the band always wants him to guest solo. His style is technical death metal and he plays it exceptionally clean.

Watching him play blues always cracks me up. He just doesn't have the feel for it at all, but his sweep picks and runs are ridiculous. Just not my thing personally, I have always been a blues rocker at heart.

ryushen21
02-17-2011, 07:13 AM
I remember my technical metal phase. Those guys are killer for what they do but there is no emotion or feel to their playing. And that kind of turned me off to bands like that.

On the other hand, Vai is absurdly technical but he has so much fun when he is playing and you can see that he is visibly into what he playing which, for me, makes him much more enjoyable to watch as opposed to someone like Satch or Petrucci.

jhick
02-17-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm shocked that SRV hasn't at least gotten a mention yet in this thread.

Dilettante
02-17-2011, 07:27 AM
good point. I have a friend who is a bigtime metal producer and usually takes 2-3 solos on an album he does just because he is that good and the band always wants him to guest solo. His style is technical death metal and he plays it exceptionally clean.

Watching him play blues always cracks me up. He just doesn't have the feel for it at all, but his sweep picks and runs are ridiculous. Just not my thing personally, I have always been a blues rocker at heart.

Speed is part of the technique. Clean picking is part of the techinque.

But timing, staccatos/pauses, note selection, note modulation to create the right expression, etc are also part of the technique and each style has its own set of techniques. But these things are more difficult to appreciate for non-players or just guitar players who are not very advanced, these people only look at speed and notes per minute.

I always repected a musician who is good at his own stuff no matter how simple may his stuff seem, if he has the right vibe. Of course Steve Vai has a lot better overall technique than Albert King, but I've never heard Vai playing the blues as King does. Of course Albert King couldn't play Vai's stuff also. To each his own. I know Vai is way more complete hands down, no comparison, but that doesn't mean he's better at every single style. That's why people like Albert King or B.B. King who are technically limited, are respected and idolized by many virtuosos like Vai or whoever. A musician will always admire another musician who is expressive and can create emotions. There's also a technique behind creating emotions, and not every technically good player has this ability.

PS: I also like a lot more Vai than Petrucci. And for Satriani, I learned to enjoy his style and he's more expressive than people give him credit for. Anyway I prefer expressive guitarists as Hendrix, and Jeff Beck, who has got better each decade and right now is, IMHO, the best electric guitar player alive when it comes to display emotions with the instrument. He's the king of using guitar's dynamics for emotional expression, no one comes even close to him in that department. Not even close. It's him and then a huge gap. He's up there with Hendrix.

ryushen21
02-17-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm shocked that SRV hasn't at least gotten a mention yet in this thread.

I hang my head in shame for not having given him mention. Also Billy Gibbons...great Texan guitar players.....

Dilettante
02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I hang my head in shame for not having given him mention. Also Billy Gibbons...great Texan guitar players.....

More shame on you not mentioning Johnny Winter lol.

ryushen21
02-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Blast! What's wrong with me?!

Power Player
02-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Speed is part of the technique. Clean picking is part of the techinque.

But timing, staccatos/pauses, note selection, note modulation to create the right expression, etc are also part of the technique and each style has its own set of techniques. But these things are more difficult to appreciate for non-players or just guitar players who are not very advanced, these people only look at speed and notes per minute.

I always repected a musician who is good at his own stuff no matter how simple may his stuff seem, if he has the right vibe. Of course Steve Vai has a lot better overall technique than Albert King, but I've never heard Vai playing the blues as King does. Of course Albert King couldn't play Vai's stuff also. To each his own. I know Vai is way more complete hands down, no comparison, but that doesn't mean he's better at every single style. That's why people like Albert King or B.B. King who are technically limited, are respected and idolized by many virtuosos like Vai or whoever. A musician will always admire another musician who is expressive and can create emotions. There's also a technique behind creating emotions, and not every technically good player has this ability.

PS: I also like a lot more Vai than Petrucci. And for Satriani, I learned to enjoy his style and he's more expressive than people give him credit for. Anyway I prefer expressive guitarists as Hendrix, and Jeff Beck, who has got better each decade and right now is, IMHO, the best electric guitar player alive when it comes to display emotions with the instrument. He's the king of using guitar's dynamics for emotional expression, no one comes even close to him in that department. Not even close. It's him and then a huge gap. He's up there with Hendrix.

Of course speed and clean picking are part of good technique. I was simply observing how insanly clean some of the guys I know are with their sweeps and speed picking. I sat right next to Jeff Loomis and watched that guy noodle around and it was ridiculous. A lot of people do not know who he is, but he is a beast at metal.

But I agree with you on everything. I love expressive guitar. You still need good technique to execute it, but it is a different kind that is more focused on phrasing and feel. But the picking technique still needs to be sound because the runs you can pull off ala Clapton or SRV need to be cleanly done to have the most emotional impact.

I am a huge Jeff Beck fan as well and also love Leslie West. His tone was perfectly unique and the way he built emotion in his solos was top notch.

I appreciate steve vai, but have enever been into it. Sounds cheesy to my taste, but I recognize his immense talent and respect it. Hard to believe that he and Billy Sheehan backed up DLRoth back in the day..what a show that must have been to attend.

Nuke
02-17-2011, 07:45 AM
...and Jeff Beck, who has got better each decade and right now is, IMHO, the best electric guitar player alive when it comes to display emotions with the instrument.

Yep. The young guns can learn a lot from this old pro.

I'll also throw out the names Steve Morse and Steve Howe.

ryushen21
02-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Of course speed and clean picking are part of good technique. I was simply observing how insanly clean some of the guys I know are with their sweeps and speed picking. I sat right next to Jeff Loomis and watched that guy noodle around and it was ridiculous. A lot of people do not know who he is, but he is a beast at metal.

But I agree with you on everything. I love expressive guitar. You still need good technique to execute it, but it is a different kind that is more focused on phrasing and feel. But the picking technique still needs to be sound because the runs you can pull off ala Clapton or SRV need to be cleanly done to have the most emotional impact.

I am a huge Jeff Beck fan as well and also love Leslie West. His tone was perfectly unique and the way he built emotion in his solos was top notch.

I appreciate steve vai, but have enever been into it. Sounds cheesy to my taste, but I recognize his immense talent and respect it. Hard to believe that he and Billy Sheehan backed up DLRoth back in the day..what a show that must have been to attend.

No kidding on that one. Talk about some serious showmanship.

I got to see Vai at a really small venue here in Dallas a few years back and yeah, I can see where some of his stuff can get cheesy. But on some of his songs like "For the Love of God" and "Whispering a Prayer" where he isn't being as hugely technical or speedy, his playing takes on a new depth and you see just how much he pours into it.

Billy Gibbons has to be one of the smoothest players I have ever seen. I've seen ZZ Top 4 times so far and usually try to get tix every time they come through DFW. He is just so smooth and casual when he plays.

Power Player
02-17-2011, 07:56 AM
TX has great players..I loved going to austin and jamming with guys back in the day. I think Austin may be the greatest city in the world, but Dallas was nice too. The women there...oohhh man.

ryushen21
02-17-2011, 08:02 AM
TX has great players..I loved going to austin and jamming with guys back in the day. I think Austin may be the greatest city in the world, but Dallas was nice too. The women there...oohhh man.

Austin's music scene is really unparalleled. Just the sheer number of venues and bars. Any given night of the week you can hear just about any style of music. In college, I used to go down there at least twice a month to meet friends and hit the bars for the music scene.

Dallas is ok but I really do like when players/groups play the smaller venues where you really get the chance to be up close and personal with them. After the Vai show that I went to he actually hung around and talked to fans and signed stuff. He wasn't in a rush at all to get out of there. Very cool guy.

My experience with EJ wasn't so great though. He was all high and mighty and essentially told his fans that they weren't deserving of his time.

Power Player
02-17-2011, 08:05 AM
LOL..EJ is a tool. A total non rockstar who is only cared about by guitar geeks and white blues fans.

Cliffs of dover was sweet when it came out though. to have an intrumental song be a small hit is extremely difficult.

Andres
02-17-2011, 08:05 AM
No love for Brian May? Steve Howe? Gary Moore? Steve Lukather?

ryushen21
02-17-2011, 08:08 AM
LOL..EJ is a tool. A total non rockstar who is only cared about by guitar geeks and white blues fans.

Cliffs of dover was sweet when it came out though. to have an intrumental song be a small hit is extremely difficult.

Best description of EJ ever. He's also totally OCD. He stopped the show after one of the songs to have a battery changed on one of his pedals and then yelled at his roadie for not having checked and changed all the batteries preshow.

*breaksracquet
02-17-2011, 08:16 AM
paul waggoner (Between the Buried and Me)

Axe: Ibanez S1625TKS (always loved the prestige wizard series neck, super duper fast)

ryushen21
02-17-2011, 08:18 AM
On the guitar side, I had a Prestige Ibanez RG with a mahogany body and flame maple top that I wish I had never gotten rid of. It was such a beautiful, clean playing guitar. Would kill to have another one.

Dilettante
02-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Also there's a hugely overlooked aspect of electric guitar, and it's the creativity for arrangements. That's one of the (many) reasons I am a huge Hendrix fan. In just four years he recorded a number of songs with an insane amount of wonderful guitar arrangements, you could listen to his music for decades and decades and still be making discoveries. And the guy was 27 when he died.

Like Frank Zappa said, it's a shame Hendrix didn't know how to write music. But he often was a composer while playing.

Best description of EJ ever. He's also totally OCD. He stopped the show after one of the songs to have a battery changed on one of his pedals and then yelled at his roadie for not having checked and changed all the batteries preshow.

Haha, that happens to me with Dave Navarro, for example. Can't stand the guy's personality, but then I listen to "Ritual de lo habitual" and it's like: wow guy, you're making beautiful stuff here, I have to admire you.

Same with Ritchie Blackmore: when the guy dismisses funk music or Stevie Wonder I'd kill him with my own hands, but then I listen to "Made in Japan" and I have to admit the guy is an idol for me, but he just happens to be a d0uche.

RealityPolice
02-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Yep. The young guns can learn a lot from this old pro.

I'll also throw out the names Steve Morse and Steve Howe.

If you're throwing Steves around, mustn't forget Steve Hackett.

Brettolius
02-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Danny Gatton, Frank Zappa, John Mclaughlin, those old chickin' pickin cats like Buck Owens, and there's this english kid I stumbled across a couple years back on youtube named Sol Philcox. He was like 18 at the time and is now apparently a session musician in Nashville. He just tears it the hell up.

RealityPolice
02-17-2011, 08:38 AM

There's no possible way you could name enough guitarists to make everyone happy; everyone posting here has a couple that they could add, including some obscure ones who are extraordinary players (Debashish Bhattacharya, anyone?). It's a noble effort to get a discussion going, but ultimately fruitless at deciding some mythical guitar GOAT (as if one exists). :)

jazar
02-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I would say my top 5 are:

David Gimour
Jimi Hendrix
Brian May
Mark Knopfler
Eric Clapton

Those are in no particular order, as I can't seperate them in my mind.

Brettolius
02-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Oh yeah, and: butterscotch blonde tele with a maple neck, gold top les paul with cream p90's, and I'm kinda partial to a '59 cherry sunburst les paul.

I have to add that I do like Clapton to a certain degree, but man, how is he ever on any "greatest guitarist" list? I'd say he was only the 3rd best guitarist out of the Yardbirds, let alone history!

Dedans Penthouse
02-17-2011, 10:15 AM
OP (Juanparty), your poll has Slash as a GOAT contender (Slash?!!) and not, e.g., a Jeff Beck?

Who can say who is GOAT? (below-->just adding to the worthy previously listed submissions):

- Richard Thompson
- John Campbell (the dead one, not the bassist)

Dilettante
02-17-2011, 10:30 AM
There's no possible way you could name enough guitarists to make everyone happy

I couldn't make a list to make myself happy. I'll always leave some people out of it. Too many good guitar players I've admired, imitated or learnt from.

mightyrick
02-17-2011, 11:01 AM
1. Allan Holdsworth
2. Eddie Van Halen
3. Stanley Jordan
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Steve Ray Vaughn
6. Jimmy Page
7. Les Paul
8. Chet Atkins
9. Bela Fleck (Banjo)
10. George Lynch

vandre
02-17-2011, 12:17 PM
1. Allan Holdsworth
2. Eddie Van Halen
3. Stanley Jordan
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Steve Ray Vaughn
6. Jimmy Page
7. Les Paul
8. Chet Atkins
9. Bela Fleck (Banjo)
10. George Lynch

this is a better list than the op. btw op, hetfield and hammett stick out like turds in a punchbowl when it comes to listing the greatest guitarists of all time. one is the progentor of palm muting (hetfield), which is cool and all but it pales in comparison to what other true greats have accomplished. the other is just another in a long line of "pentatonic wankers" who uses his wah pedal like its a crutch (hammett).

JoelDali
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
1. Allan Holdsworth
2. Eddie Van Halen
3. Stanley Jordan
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Steve Ray Vaughn
6. Jimmy Page
7. Les Paul
8. Chet Atkins
9. Bela Fleck (Banjo)
10. George Lynch

Alex Lifeson, no?

:)

tricky
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
uses his wah pedal like its a crutch

Yup, that's Hammett. He was asked to not use the wah pedal in every single part and he had a look of panic.

I have no emotional connection with Holdwsorth, but I absolutely appreciate his "sheet of sounds" modal system.

mightyrick
02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
this is a better list than the op. btw op, hetfield and hammett stick out like turds in a punchbowl when it comes to listing the greatest guitarists of all time. one is the progentor of palm muting (hetfield), which is cool and all but it pales in comparison to what other true greats have accomplished. the other is just another in a long line of "pentatonic wankers" who uses his wah pedal like its a crutch (hammett).

I appreciate that. These lists are so hard, because it depends on the criteria you use to define the GOAT.

For me, the criteria of a GOAT guitarist is one who is universally accepted by almost all guitarists as the most influential and most innovative. GOATs are not necessarily the greatest songwriting guitarists. The list of greatest songwriting guitarists would probably be totally different -- at least for me.

All of the ones I listed are basically those who are the most influential to my personal favorite guitarists. For example, Eddie Van Halen idolized Allan Holdsworth. Steve Howe idolized Chet Atkins. Any modern blues guitarist idolizes Stevie Ray Vaughn. Many metal, progressive, and pop guitarists idolize George Lynch.

GOAT musical discussions are so tough, though.

jayoub95
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
What a weird thread.

mightyrick
02-17-2011, 01:37 PM
One more thing. Some may wonder why I put Allan Holdsworth at the #1 GOAT. It isn't because I really connect with his style.

The first reason is because there are a crapload of incredible guitarists who idolized Holdsworth. The second reason is literally because there isn't a guitarist in the world who can play what he plays.

Many guitarists can imitate EVH, Chet Atkins, Lynch, Jordan (tougher), Stevie Ray, Page, Clapton, Hendrix, et cetera.

There's absolutely nobody who can play a remotely accurate rendition of an Allan Holdsworth song, including solo, all the way through -- except Allan Holdsworth. Many guitarists say it just is physically impossible because of his stretch, his speed, his unparalleled chording vocabulary, and his ability to insta-switch to/from hybrid picking.

Some have basically said he is the Buddy Rich of guitar.

Brettolius
02-17-2011, 03:06 PM
One more thing. Some may wonder why I put Allan Holdsworth at the #1 GOAT. It isn't because I really connect with his style.

The first reason is because there are a crapload of incredible guitarists who idolized Holdsworth. The second reason is literally because there isn't a guitarist in the world who can play what he plays.

Many guitarists can imitate EVH, Chet Atkins, Lynch, Jordan (tougher), Stevie Ray, Page, Clapton, Hendrix, et cetera.

There's absolutely nobody who can play a remotely accurate rendition of an Allan Holdsworth song, including solo, all the way through -- except Allan Holdsworth. Many guitarists say it just is physically impossible because of his stretch, his speed, his unparalleled chording vocabulary, and his ability to insta-switch to/from hybrid picking.

Some have basically said he is the Buddy Rich of guitar.

My question is why does he have such bad taste and god awful tone? Once you reach a certain level of mastery, do you lose all taste? Don't get me wrong, what he technically does is amazing. But the 2 discs of his I bought were strictly for Vinnie Colaiuta's playing. (Had to work hard pre-internet to hear different people play!) In an interview, Holdsworth said something to the effect of he wanted to make his guitar sound like Coltrane's sax. He wanted to play with as little percussive attack as possible, just nice and smooth. Disturbing thought. Takes all the soul out it.

adams_1
02-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Steve Lukather.

Rubbish poll. I'm clueless; this seemed like the kind of answer a swell guy might give.

Z-Man
02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Danny Gatton, Frank Zappa, John Mclaughlin, those old chickin' pickin cats like Buck Owens, and there's this english kid I stumbled across a couple years back on youtube named Sol Philcox. He was like 18 at the time and is now apparently a session musician in Nashville. He just tears it the hell up.

Danny Gatton was awesome. In that style, I'd also like to add Jr Brown and Speedy West / Jimmy Bryant. All of those guys could shred, and I think shredding redneck jazz is a special talent because you have to be fast and accurate, but you also have to follow a melody line. In some genres, the fast players just run scales and finger exercises.

Jr Brown in particular I find amazing because he managed to master both the guitar and the lap steel. He can effortlessly switch back and forth between two guitars in completely different tunings. Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo are two other great guitar players who do that.

T1000
02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Hendrix no doubt, he was something else. Malmsteen is good as is Slash, but there are better guitarists that aren't on the list. Steve Hackett is also solid and I like the Edge and Van Halen, but I still don't think anyone beats Hendrix, he is easily the best out of the 200 or so guitarists that I've heard

mightyrick
02-17-2011, 05:41 PM
My question is why does he have such bad taste and god awful tone? Once you reach a certain level of mastery, do you lose all taste? Don't get me wrong, what he technically does is amazing. But the 2 discs of his I bought were strictly for Vinnie Colaiuta's playing. (Had to work hard pre-internet to hear different people play!) In an interview, Holdsworth said something to the effect of he wanted to make his guitar sound like Coltrane's sax. He wanted to play with as little percussive attack as possible, just nice and smooth. Disturbing thought. Takes all the soul out it.

You know, I've wondered this, too. It seems like once these rare geniuses completely master their instrument -- and there are very few in this category -- that they totally just go "alien"... to a place that nobody else can go. Another planet. Their stuff sounds really weird to us, we don't understand it, but it seems like these rare dominant masters seem to do it. Maybe it is because they are bored doing what everyone else does. No challenge for them.

Examples are:

Allan Holdsworth - Guitar
Bela Fleck - Banjo
Buddy Rich - Drums
Chick Corea - Piano
Sarah Brightman - Voice

A lot of these people's works don't sound totally appealing to me, but I think it is just because it is very alien. Their music is on a different level. It isn't that I don't like it... it is just that I don't understand it.

RealityPolice
02-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Danny Gatton was awesome. In that style, I'd also like to add Jr Brown and Speedy West / Jimmy Bryant. All of those guys could shred, and I think shredding redneck jazz is a special talent because you have to be fast and accurate, but you also have to follow a melody line. In some genres, the fast players just run scales and finger exercises.

Jr Brown in particular I find amazing because he managed to master both the guitar and the lap steel. He can effortlessly switch back and forth between two guitars in completely different tunings. Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo are two other great guitar players who do that.

Along with Gatton, check out a Cincinnati guy named Scotty Anderson. He's friggin' amazing.. (I'd provide some links, but it's tough from an iPad.)

NotSoSuper
02-17-2011, 08:21 PM
where is the frush????

as in..

John frusciante ..

?

JoelDali
02-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Frusciante's last solo work was epic.

Power Player
02-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Hendrix no doubt, he was something else. Malmsteen is good as is Slash, but there are better guitarists that aren't on the list. Steve Hackett is also solid and I like the Edge and Van Halen, but I still don't think anyone beats Hendrix, he is easily the best out of the 200 or so guitarists that I've heard

Malmsteem never wrote a riff that could touch what Slash did. He just sweep picked arpeggios and sung in a horrible voice. Slash wrote hits and had an amazing tone..Malmsteem was a guy who could shred, but could not write a song to save his life. It's all about the song. Period.

You said you have only heard 200 guitar players so I am not trying to bash you..and Hendrix is one of the greatest ever. But it really is all about the song.

I love Frusciante..that guy is insanely creative. Another unique player who helped write great songs and added layers to the band with just 1 guitar.

borg number one
02-17-2011, 09:24 PM
There are so many great guitar players. In rock music, it's like picking among great painters. I think Jimmy Page is often underrated. He was an incredible writer and guitar player, with such range and creativity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1YVQioYgxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsi3eqjY1UY

aimr75
02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Derek Trucks
Marc Ford
Jimmy Page
Gary Moore
John Mayor (his blues stuff)
Joe Bonamassa
Jerry Cantrell

RealityPolice
02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Derek Trucks
Marc Ford
Jimmy Page
Gary Moore
John Mayor (his blues stuff)
Joe Bonamassa
Jerry Cantrell

You know that Gary Moore died last week, right? (Not that that precludes him from being mentioned, of course.)

aimr75
02-18-2011, 02:13 AM
^ yeah i know.. pretty sad at only 58.

T1000
02-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Malmsteem never wrote a riff that could touch what Slash did. He just sweep picked arpeggios and sung in a horrible voice. Slash wrote hits and had an amazing tone..Malmsteem was a guy who could shred, but could not write a song to save his life. It's all about the song. Period.

You said you have only heard 200 guitar players so I am not trying to bash you..and Hendrix is one of the greatest ever. But it really is all about the song.

I love Frusciante..that guy is insanely creative. Another unique player who helped write great songs and added layers to the band with just 1 guitar.

I don't know if you think that I said that Malmsteen is better than Slash (seriously don't know, but I never said that, just that both are good) I do agree that Slash is better, especially some of his solos (like the ones in November Rain and Estranged). I don't know alot about guitarists and soloists, mostly just ones that I've heard in bands and the famous soloists (like Hendrix). That's why out of all those I would pick Hendrix as the best.

HarveyPitnik
02-18-2011, 06:19 AM
For me the Guitar GOAT is mr. Steve Howe (Yes, Asia, GTR... )

Chuck
02-18-2011, 07:42 AM
I voted for Hendrix. I think his abilities at the time he played are beyond all others.

However, I would suggest as Honorable mentions, Duane Allman and Dicky Betts from the Allman Brothers Band. Duane's Jessica and Dicky's Blue Sky are still two of my all time favorites.

And finally as Honorable Mention; Alex Lifeson. The material those Rush guys created that he had to play boggles the mind. There are not a lot of other axemen that could play that material.

PimpMyGame
02-18-2011, 08:02 AM
No love for Johnny Marr?

Edit: following GRANITECHIEF's post below here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Urt5l9ZHI and there are loads more on YT

Probably the most underrated British guitarist of all time.

GRANITECHIEF
02-18-2011, 08:04 AM
OK guys, lets see your list, but purely formed from your favorite single youtube link of each of the artists. That will be some real nitty gritty head cutting.

jswinf
02-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Mark Knopfler, Neil Young

Power Player
02-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't know if you think that I said that Malmsteen is better than Slash (seriously don't know, but I never said that, just that both are good) I do agree that Slash is better, especially some of his solos (like the ones in November Rain and Estranged). I don't know alot about guitarists and soloists, mostly just ones that I've heard in bands and the famous soloists (like Hendrix). That's why out of all those I would pick Hendrix as the best.

You know what..you posted - Malmsteem is good, as is Slash and I misread it.

Sorry about that.

ryushen21
02-18-2011, 12:27 PM
PP....I agree with what you said about Malmsteen. He's good but not a creative notion in his head.

02-18-2011, 07:02 PM
"Listening to Steve Vai makes you wish you could PLAY like that, but listening to Alex Lifeson makes you wish you'd THOUGHT of that".......

JoelDali
02-18-2011, 09:33 PM
"Listening to Steve Vai makes you wish you could PLAY like that, but listening to Alex Lifeson makes you wish you'd THOUGHT of that".......

I met Vai after a show during the Fire garden tour and I said Steve, "that was the most amazing thing I've ever seen, and he goes, "eh, I played terrible tonight...." He was being so serious. But yet, I just peed my pants after seeing the most disgusting sickening amazing show.

Seeing him from 15 rows dead center in his prime was epic. Vai is just a marvel to watch.

Lifeson is a giant living God.

Check that new Rush documentary.

There's a segment of footage showing him at age 17 telling his whole family he's dropping out of school for music. Incredibly mindblowing footage of big Al as a teenager. Of course hearing Peart talk about the tragedies so freely now is something no one would ever see and shows how time heals even the most disturbing wounds a man could endure. Can't wait to see them in 30 days for the 20th time.

mightyrick
02-19-2011, 07:21 AM
I think Lifeson is very overrated in general. Although, I'm not a huge Rush fan, so that stands to reason. Lifeson to Rush is what Richie Sambora was to Bon Jove.

If you want amazing songwriting guitarists from Canada: Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Young.

GS
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Please, c'mon guys---alittle more mention of Jeff Beck here. And maybe alittle nod towards Robben Ford. These two are current greats still playing out there.

chrischris
02-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Jimi H is the GOAT. His style was singular and unique IMO. .. and many others :)

Slim Pickens
02-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Did anyone see the very first episode of MTV's Unplugged with Stevie Ray Vaughn? That was an awesome display of 12 string work and one of the reasons why he gets my pick as the best ever. Joe Satriani was on the show too, but SRV blew him away.

Power Player
03-03-2011, 06:00 AM
I had a nice experience last night as I had a marshall cranked up and clean boosted with the classic 808 Overdrive.

I went back and forth between my Corona factory Tele with strings through body and black Gibson Les Paul. I felt like I was in the world's best 3 way. Dial down the tone knob on the tele and it is such a hot blues rock tone with the neck pickup. It is impossible to decide which guitar sounds better, but the Les Paul neck is custom made for my hands. It is the Pro Staff 85 of guitars, and the Tele is the Prince Original Graphite.

I played T Bone Walker and Bluesbreaker (Clapton era) licks until my face melted off.