PDA

View Full Version : backhand weight loading

bigcattennis
06-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Anyone find that when you bend and load weight on back leg for 1hb you can get better topspin than pushing off the front leg in a more conventional manner? Anyone hit open stance 1hb?

mrgonzo
06-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Anyone find that when you bend and load weight on back leg for 1hb you can get better topspin than pushing off the front leg in a more conventional manner? Anyone hit open stance 1hb?
I find that you load up on your back leg you can get better topspin and power on the backhand. I always hit open stance when I am on the run with my backhand.

bigcattennis
06-16-2005, 06:16 PM
mrgonzo, Interesting. What level do you play at?
You have a one hander right?

Meat
06-16-2005, 06:51 PM
A one hander gets much better drive and pace when hit in a neutral or closed stance.

You shouldn't go fully-open unless it's forced, semi-open seems to be the limit for effectiveness. The open stance DOES allow you to have a free-er motion for topspin and hitting certain angles, but you won't be getting the same pace.

No matter what, you should be practicing the 1HB in all stances. You're going to be using all of them.

bigcattennis
06-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah that sounds about right. Do you find you get more spin and control in that semi open position?

Exile
06-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Hmm...I'm left handed.

My 1hbh has me moving into the shot on my left foot, then using it to follow through and then recover at the same time.

If I'm pressured to hit a ball behind me, then I have to load the back foot.