PDA

View Full Version : Nike DriFit Smells/Washing Tips

beaverjnt
04-22-2004, 12:33 PM
I own a ton of Nike DriFit clothing and after owning it for awhile, whenever I play in it, it gives off a funky odor. Not a body odor smell in any way, but still a distinctly non-appealing odor nonetheless. I have always washed them exactly as recommended (no fabric softener, etc.) but this always happens.

I have a buddy who owns a bunch of North Face clothing, similar in material to the DriFit and he says that you aren't supposed to use detergent to wash the North Face stuff as it clogs the pores of the clothing. You are supposed to use some super-expensive alternative to detergent.

Does anyone else have any experience with this and DriFit clothing? Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

robkat
04-23-2004, 06:28 AM
I own a bunch of DriFfit shirts and shorts.. I do not think I have any Nike though.. mostly reebok and addidas. I wash them in cold water with detergent and let them air dry.. no dryer. Most of the reebok shirts and shorts are four years old and still look new. I have never experince any odor while playing in some of the older stuff I have.

Slava
04-24-2004, 03:22 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. The only thing that works for me to minimize that odor is to wash the clothes right after I play.

James Brown
04-24-2004, 07:54 PM
hrm, i dont have the odor problem..i dont sweat that bad i guess...*shrug*. More often than not my grandma washes em after i play but sometimes i wont wash one til the next time i wear it. Guess you need a professional's help. ask your grandma :> Old school is the best school.

jings
04-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Ladies, biological powder and a very hot wash ... if you're nervous take your least loved and oldest and try it on its own, a boil wash is best .... if it's still minging after that I suggest medical help!
I think mine get a roasting up around 60-70 can't remember now, but get it hot.

Slava
04-25-2004, 07:20 PM
What the heck is biological powder?

jings
04-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Just about any of the standard ones should do it - not sure what you get in the US (assuming you're there) but Persil, Ariel do the trick here.... hot's the main thing, kill that bacteria.

Also if you've got whites a gentle bleaching will also achieve the same effect ... but use fabric / stain bleach rather than household stufff and let it soak. I think you can get colour fast safe fabric bleach but I haven't been brave enough to try that with my beloved Nike tops.

Top tip - keep the hot iron away from the swooshes ... not a good look.

Cypo
04-26-2004, 01:46 AM
I use Ariel as well, but wash warm and air dry (warm = 30 C ~ 90 F) and have never had a problem with them smelling.

Jings - where are you ?

jings
04-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Cypo I'm in Singapore where it's hot, damn hot - and humid too. My clothes take a hammering here. Had the same trouble with stinky kit for a while but whacked up the temperature and it seems to have done the trick.

PrestigeClassic
05-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Yikes, put it in the microwave or something..