PDA

View Full Version : Yonex MP Tour-1 and RDX 500 Mids

Drizzt
04-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I know i already asked these in another thread, but i didn't get a reply(not to be rude)? Doesn't it have some sort of Metal Hybrid IPS? Also what has more power between the Yonex RDX 500 Mid and MP Tour-1 Mid? Im a 4.0-4.5 baseline player and i want more control? Which would be better for a baseline player? The only think im worried about getting one of these 2 is that there both heavy than my current racquet. Would them being so head light make them feel lighter than there 12 oz's. And also since Yonex Racquets are weird and there lighter the smaller the grip size would it be lighter overall if i got a smaller grip?

Thanks for all your help

TW Staff
04-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Drizzt,
Yes, both of these Yonex racquets have a weight system at 3 and 9 on the hoop (called METAL hybrid IPS on the RDX line). From your other questions it sounds like you really need to demo these two side by side (I just checked our demo stock and right now we have both available in 4 3/8). I currently use the MP Tour-1 Mid and have hit a lot with the RDX 500 Mid. I like both from the baseline and don't find them difficult to maneuver - even after adding weight to both. I also like the feel of the RDX 500 HD, especially on slice backhands and volleys. We are reviewing the RDX line of racquets soon, and I'll be able to give more insight after spending three weeks with them.

Cheers,
Chris, TW.

Drizzt
04-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks Chris

Drizzt
04-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Which one has more power between the mids cause im only 5'10" and 120 lbs. so im not that fit and might need the racquet to provide some of it?

Thanks again

TW Staff
04-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Drizzt,
If you are seeking more power, I would recommend demoing the Midplus versions of these racquets as well. While these are all control racquets, the Midplus will give you a little more pop.

Cheers,
Chris, TW.

Paunchy Gandalf
05-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Hi Drizzt,

I am 5' 9"....not the fittest guy around as you would have guessed from my moniker! I got the RDX500 MP yesterday, hit with it for almost 3 hours today and loved it. It's solid, consistent and crisp. Will post a more detailed review once I have loged at least 20 hours with it.

But in answer to your question....it has decent power. Even when out of position, it has power, so long as you get some back swing.

PG

Drizzt
05-01-2004, 06:37 AM
thanks Paunchy

steebo
05-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Hi, I hit with the MP-1 mid, then Diablo, now RDX500 mid. I liked the MP-1 mid very much, but always wished it were a little lighter and more maneuverable, the RDX turned out to be perfect for my all court game. Standing and bashing from the baseline, the MP-1 was great, but I serve and volley so much better with the RDX. I never hit with the mid+ or hd, but I can tell you the mid seems more like a 95-98 sq-in head. I feel as if I probably gave up a couple of mph's on my serve, but the spin and control more than compensates.
Hope this helps

Drizzt
05-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Thanks steebo. Which one felt more powerful to you between the MP-1 and RDX 500 and which one did you feel like you had more control from the baseline with?

Thanks again

steebo
05-01-2004, 07:42 PM
MP-1 = very slightly more control RDX = a little more power, but not much, probably because it swings lighter. A slight nod to the control of the MP-1 from the baseline. My regular opponents said I hit a heavier ball with the MP-1, especially b/h
slice, but I got kinda slow with the MP-1 in the 3rd set. Also I play lots of doubles and think the RDX is a much better serve&volley stick, but I really enjoy hitting with both.

Drizzt
05-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks again steebo

ps 6.0
05-02-2004, 07:06 PM
That's odd. I use the MP-Tour 1 90 and i felt like the heft of the racket actually lent it self to my serving. The PS 6.0 95 (My previous stick) is absolutely great on the server, but with the MP-Tour 1 90 it felt like the serves had better pace, better placement, and alot more feel on how i was hitting and where the serve was going. I never tried the RDX though i'm very curious, but from the looks of things minus the MP Grommets i don't see anything that would make me take the RDX over the MP-Tour 1 90. But as you can tell by my sig. the MP-Tour 1 is where the money is for me.