PDA

View Full Version : Spitting while playing???

The Djoker
02-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I often find myself having (or wanting) to spit when playing tennis, or partaking in any sort of physical activity (indoor soccer game tonight was torture). I was wondering what you guys think is acceptable on a tennis court...I know there are plenty of people out there who do it and/or have thought about this. whats ok?

-get it in the double lanes at least?
-outside the doubles lanes?
-on the fence?
-or don't spit! tennis is a gentlemen's game!

SoBad
02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
I think spitting onto the court is a little rude. Through the fence or into the towel/bin is OK.

The Djoker
02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I agree; I always aim to get through the bottom of the fence below where the wind blocker starts. I never though about the bin though...that seems a little iffy to me...i guess it depends on where you are.

SoBad
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
If it's an outdoor court and there's a fence to the outside, then through the fence is best I think. It depends, as you say.

samej07
02-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I've never been a big spitter on court, but sometimes you just gotta do it. I'd say if you're going to, either do it in the trash can (if there's one on the court) or aim for the bottem of the fence, between the court and the wind screen. IMO you should NEVER spit inside the singles lines or near the base line. I've slipped on someone elses spit before and it just absolutely p*ssed me off. Plus, its never cool to pick up a ball the has rolled through spit either. I dont think tennis is such a "gentlemen's" game that you cant spit at all (we'll leave being that snooty to the golfers ;) ), but definitely try to do it in a spot where it wont get stepped on and the ball wont roll throught it.

Jfolks259
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
when i first read the title of this thread i thought it said "sitting while playing" and thought "this should be an interesting read!" :)

The Djoker
02-20-2011, 09:14 PM
when i first read the title of this thread i thought it said "sitting while playing" and thought "this should be an interesting read!" :)

ha that'd be an interesting one...i expect a youtube video by next week!

The Djoker
02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I've slipped on someone elses spit before and it just absolutely p*ssed me off.

That is absolutely horrible/disgusting...I would be peeved beyond belief!

GetBetterer
02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I always found that on a societal level spitting is rude anywhere. I don't spit unless I'm sick and I can feel some weird stuff in my mouth.

As for spitting on court, it's just as rude.

HOWEVER, there is a simple remedy. If you feel the need to spit, it means your body is dehydrated, so drink!

ProgressoR
02-20-2011, 11:28 PM
this is ridiculous. In NO circumstances is it acceptable to spit on a tennis court or the wider playing area.

If you feel the need to spit and cannot control your body then find a bathroom or somewhere off the playing area.

Leelord337
02-20-2011, 11:41 PM
haha my opponent used my habit of spitting on the court as an excuse to why he lost the match once. if i do spit on the court (and its always after a long point or after i wipe my face w/my wristband) its never on the court itself, always outside the doubles alley or through the fence, or on the adjacent vacant court.

albino smurf
02-21-2011, 04:48 AM
never on the court.

dlk
02-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Just swallow it. It's where 99% of your saliva goes anyway. Never liked spittters, just swallowers:shock:

pabletion
02-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Whenever I NEED to spit (bug in the mouth...... snot.....) I do it in the back of the court, to the fence. Last week I was playin with a buddy of mine who has the bad habit of spittin right onto the court. When we switched sides I saw this giant loogie right behind the baseline. I jokingly (but kinda seriously as well) said to him: Next time you hit a ball near this area Im calling a let on account of your loogie.

He laughed but of course when we switched sides again he cleared it out with his foot.

Loogies on the court: not cool.

Larrysümmers
02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
not on the court man, thats nasty. at least do it outside the fence if there is grass.

maverick66
02-21-2011, 09:02 AM
On a clay court who cares just rub it in with your foot. On a hard court its a big no-no.