PDA

View Full Version : The END ALL gangster film poll - Goodfellas VS The Godfather

Aeropax
02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.dunkirkma.net/inreview/images/goodfellas.jpg

Such a great film. The mood, the lines, the characters, the acting - EVERYTHING was damn near perfect (in my opinion). The only reasonable negative I can agree with is the film's slowing down towards the latter end, but that is understandable given what Henry had gotten himself into.

http://cdn.giantmag.com/files//2009/01/pp31150the-godfather-posters.jpg

Another great mob film - if not the greatest. As you're watching it you have a great understanding of the mob life, and how mob families are related and act with one another. Michael's ordering of Freddo's death in part II was one of the most emotional story arcs I've seen in a movie.

So, what do you think? Feel free to include The Godfather Part II and III (if you really think it's the greatest) as part of "The Godfather" vote.

T1000
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
The Godfather, but because I saw it first and my dad's side of the family, the part I'm more like, is straight off the boat Italian (grandfather came over) so I relate more to it

FloridaAG
02-21-2011, 12:16 PM
My vote was for the Godfather - but it was close. Really my favorite part is the DeNiro parts of GFII.

Next comment is not sexist but refers to the casting, character development and film's attitudes towards women, but both films really get dragged down the larger role women play in thiem. I can barely watch Talia Shriver's scenes. Unfotunately, the wife in Goodfella's role is so prominent in the second half of the movie - that it loses the contenst in my opinion

Ross K
02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Great idea for a thread...

Although I love both films mentioned in the OP, my personal best of this period/genre is actually... The Godfather II... :cool:

DeNiro speaking entirely in Italian... the legendary Lee Strasberg as Hyman Roth... the Cuban revolusion in full flow... Pacino becoming the hardened Don of later years... his and Diane Keaton's relationship turning toxic... simply a masterpiece imo.:wink:

I also feel similarly towards Once Upon A Time In America, which though plain ridiculous at times, in some respects is just a work of art... imo.

R.

Kevin T
02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
A tough choice but I went with 'Godfather'. But if we stretched out the poll to greatest ganster/mob story, 'The Sopranos' is superior, IMHO (except the stupid last episode, of course).

JustBob
02-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Both great yet completely different in style and scope. "The Godfather" is an epic tragedy with Shakespearian characters while the canvas in "Goodfellas" is much more intimate. The relationships between the characters and the family dynamics are at the heart of the story (a recurrent theme in Scorsese's work), and the portrayal of gangster life is much more realistic than in "The Godfather". The influence of "Goodfellas" can be clearly seen in "The Sopranos".

Ross K
02-21-2011, 11:04 PM
A tough choice but I went with 'Godfather'. But if we stretched out the poll to greatest ganster/mob story, 'The Sopranos' is superior, IMHO (except the stupid last episode, of course).

Ah, if we're talking Sopranos, just got to say how much I love it... just so stylish and funny and unique... probably stil my fave tv show, though it is seriously rivalled by the more recent and dangerously addictive, incomparable, brilliant The Wire... wo, what a series!:)

Devilito
02-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Godfather not even close. Goodfellas is amazing, but Godfather is a masterpiece of cinema

Bartelby
02-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Le samourai is better, but did you mean gangster film or a mafia gangster film?

SoCal10s
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Godfather and Godfather 2 .. are some of my favorites movies .. GF2 where Michael start to take control of the family really hits the spot ..

JustBob
02-22-2011, 12:18 AM
The AFI ranks "Godfather", "Goodfellas" and "Godfather II" 1, 2 and 3 on their Top 10 Gangster Films of all time. A little odd if you ask me since part II is widely considered to be the best in the trilogy.

Anyway, I think it's odd to compare 1/3 of a trilogy with a single film, not to mention throwing a tv series in there like "The Sopranos".

Kevin T
02-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Ah, if we're talking Sopranos, just got to say how much I love it... just so stylish and funny and unique... probably stil my fave tv show, though it is seriously rivalled by the more recent and dangerously addictive, incomparable, brilliant The Wire... wo, what a series!:)

I'm with you on that. I never thought 'Sopranos' could be bettered but 'The Wire' is right up there.

Aeropax
03-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Interesting results. I would have thought Goodfellas would have a few more votes!

heycal
03-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Both great yet completely different in style and scope. "The Godfather" is an epic tragedy with Shakespearian characters while the canvas in "Goodfellas" is much more intimate. The relationships between the characters and the family dynamics are at the heart of the story (a recurrent theme in Scorsese's work), and the portrayal of gangster life is much more realistic than in "The Godfather". The influence of "Goodfellas" can be clearly seen in "The Sopranos".

Interesting results. I would have thought Goodfellas would have a few more votes!

Not even close. Goodfellas is far superior, for many of the reasons cited by JustBob. It's just so much more realistic, and funny too -- which is part of what makes it realistic. (I personally never quite understood the hype about the Godfather.)

The Sopranos is great too, and very similar in feel to Goodfellas. I'm trying to entice my Goodfellas-loving girlfriend to dive into the Sopranos by telling her "think of it as hours and hours of Goodfellas, baby!"

El Diablo
03-14-2011, 07:30 PM
And why wouldn't Goodfellas and Sopranos have a similar feel, as they share a few cast members (Lorraine Bracco, Michael Imperioli).

heycal
03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
And why wouldn't Goodfellas and Sopranos have a similar feel, as they share a few cast members (Lorraine Bracco, Michael Imperioli).

Not to mention the scary Frank Vincent. (Billy Batts in Goodfellas).

Imperioli made an inside joke about his Goodfellas character in one Sopranos episode as I recall, something along the lines of saying "Hey, it happens" when a character gets shot in the foot or something.

It might have been in the episode where Imperioli's character calls out something like "Marty! I loved 'Kundun'!" at a movie premiere. Cracked me up...

SoBad
03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I voted "other" - I think Banditskiy Peterburg (esp. Advokat) and Law & Order are better. Is that wrong?