PDA

View Full Version : Backhand question

safin_protege
06-17-2005, 12:59 PM
About two years ago, I broke my left wrist terribly. When I came back to playing tennis, my 2H BH backhand was never the same. I made ajustments so that it worked, but I always avoided hitting it. Now, with my game advancing too much to keep running around it, I feel I need an alternative. It is not a 'bad' shot, but I have trouble and pain in hitting it, and I feel that it could be much better. I have tried many different grips for the 2H BH, but none of them worked. My conclusion (and my coaches): Switch to a one-handed backhand. I was really ****ed off when I realized there was no other route, but I am now deciding to face it and work as hard as I can to adapt.

Has anyone ever done this before?
How long will it take for me to adjust?

Thanks

Grimjack
06-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Has anyone ever done this before?
How long will it take for me to adjust?

Thanks

1) Has anyone ever done this before? Lots. Not me, but lots.

2) How long will it take? Nobody can say. Depends on you, and how you deal with learning (and un-learning) physical skills. Probably at least a whole season to get it anywhere near humming, though. You can get yourself viable as a one-hander more quickly if you just work on developing a killer slice BH first. You can use that for *almost* every situation, if you have the confidence in it. Then bring your drive along at a more manageable pace.

3) Does this mean you're going to have to change your User ID? Call yourself rusedski_protege or something? ;)

safin_protege
06-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Lol, thanks for the reply. I think I'll keep my name, but may tweak it to be safin_protege_but_copies_sampras's_backhand_too :) I hope that I will be able to fine tune it over the summer and winter before school tennis.

Exile
06-17-2005, 03:03 PM
You will go through soooo much crap befoe you find something that will work for you. Listen to what everyone has to say, then try everything untill you find something that you favor.

FedererUberAlles
06-17-2005, 03:21 PM
You might want to try one handed or slice. Or just keep changing grips until you find the right one.

Exile
06-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Slice = good idea

just to get used to having that one arm by it's lonesome.
Then study the federer clip at tennisplayer.net
I would suggest you practice in front of a mirror to just get the basic form and feel down. Then get on a court and take it really really really slow to get the rhythm down.

Rickson
06-17-2005, 04:02 PM
I liked my 2 hander a lot. My 2 hander was almost as dependable as my forehand. With that being said, I'll never go back to the 2 hander. I knew I wanted to be a better volleyer and that the backhand volley felt awkward for me. I switched to the 1 hander specifically for the reason of becoming a better volleyer, especially on the backhand side. Switching to the 1 hander is not something you should be discouraged about, it should be a welcome addition to your arsenal. Just remember a few differences in the backhands, the 1 hander is hit with a closed stance while the 2 hander often takes an open stance. The followthrough on the 1 hander takes a straight arm unlike the 2 hander where your arm folds up to your shoulder. Make the switch and don't feel like it's a curse because it may be a blessing in disguise.

safin_protege
06-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes, I would love to be able to hit both a slice and topspin drive with the one hander. I'll dig up some RG tapes of him, and check out that site that Exile recommended.

My coach recommends extreme eastern grip for this, agree?

Exile
06-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Yes, I would love to be able to hit both a slice and topspin drive with the one hander. I'll dig up some RG tapes of him, and check out that site that Exile recommended.

Eastern is more than fine, no point to go any further than that.

Rickson
06-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Extreme eastern is too extreme a grip for a 2 hander to make the transition from. An extreme eastern will cause quite a bit of framing. I recommend using an eastern because it's not that extreme and it's also the grip Roger uses since you'd like to use him as a role model.

MegacedU
06-17-2005, 05:53 PM
I've done it backwards. That is, gone from a one-hander to a two. Try holding the racquet the same way you'd hold it for a forehand. Make sure your racquet face isn't too open, or else you'll be popping them up. It helps if you hit them fairly flat at first, then experiment with some spin.

Rickson
06-17-2005, 06:09 PM
I've done it backwards. That is, gone from a one-hander to a two. Try holding the racquet the same way you'd hold it for a forehand. Make sure your racquet face isn't too open, or else you'll be popping them up. It helps if you hit them fairly flat at first, then experiment with some spin.
Huh? I don't see many forehands hit with an eastern backhand grip. I'm not sure I understand what you meant by hold it the same way as a forehand.

MegacedU
06-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Check out the pictures of my serve in the my pictures thread. The grip is that same I use for a forehand -completely wrong on a serve but it's a bad habbit that sometimes shines through.

Exile
06-17-2005, 07:26 PM
It helps if you hit them fairly flat at first, then experiment with some spin.

I had to learn this one the hard way...

And about grip:

I think the best way to find it is to go to the throat and put your thumb on the part that is just before the top of the handle.

Put your thumb square in the center of that then close your hand gently, slide the hand down to the bottom, there is your grip.

the 'v' of your hand should be in the center wide flat part of the racket, like a westernish grip. Just don't make a fist around it.

I know there is a better way to find it, but once you find it, practice just getting the grip by reflex.

Once you have the stance, and grip set up, don't forget that you need to hold the throat as you are making the backswing, it helps guide the racket to the ball and gives you better control of what you are doing.

Let me find the resources to make a better 1 hbh thread.

safin_protege
06-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Extreme eastern is too extreme a grip for a 2 hander to make the transition from. An extreme eastern will cause quite a bit of framing. I recommend using an eastern because it's not that extreme and it's also the grip Roger uses since you'd like to use him as a role model.

I thought Federer used an extreme eastern backhand grip...

Try holding the racquet the same way you'd hold it for a forehand.

I hit a semi-western forehand, so holding that grip for a backhand is too extreme. My coach tells me this is what Henin Hardenne does; I would rather stick to the less extreme eastern backhand grip.

Check out the pictures of my serve in the my pictures thread. The grip is that same I use for a forehand -completely wrong on a serve but it's a bad habbit that sometimes shines through.

I already know how to hold the racquet in an eastern backhand grip, thanks though. I have studied Roger Federer pics and listened to advice and I'm good on the grip now :)

Thanks for that tip Exile, and thanks for all the help from everyone. I have a lesson tomorrow, and I should be able to get things straightened out, I'll keep you posted :)