PDA

View Full Version : Tension Maintenance & Liveliness Maintenance?

sepidoel
02-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Until now I'm very confused with those terms. Does having bad tension maintenance necessarily mean the string is easily-turned dead? Or those two aren't really related, or even not related at all?

I don't really mind having my string's tension decrease 10%-15% in a month without much change in liveliness and power, however I do mind if my string goes dead even though the tension doesn't change at all.

OOT question: In my case, which string do you suggest to buy: SPPP or Polyspin Energy?

J_aces
02-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Do you mean polystar energy?

sepidoel
02-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Do you mean polystar energy?

Oops, yes. My bad. :oops:

nvottennis
02-24-2011, 05:54 PM
sppp 10 char

JT_2eighty
02-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Having used neither, but read many reviews... SPPP would be your "tension maint" string while PS Energy is your "liveliness" string... as PS Energy is consistently held to be one of THE softest/most powerful polys out there, but loses tension after a little while, becoming "too powerful", "trampoliney", etc... thus it sounds like it stays lively (and perhaps increasingly lively for many). I'd be curious how you find it to be, as both of these strings are on my short list to try out.

kiteboard
02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Why not cross them, with energy mains/sppp cross?

sepidoel
02-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Having used neither, but read many reviews... SPPP would be your "tension maint" string while PS Energy is your "liveliness" string... as PS Energy is consistently held to be one of THE softest/most powerful polys out there, but loses tension after a little while, becoming "too powerful", "trampoliney", etc... thus it sounds like it stays lively (and perhaps increasingly lively for many). I'd be curious how you find it to be, as both of these strings are on my short list to try out.

Thanks for your sharing. And by your way of thinking that SPPP is "good tension maintenance" and PSE is "good liveliness maintenance" I assume you're saying that both of them are different parameters of string. Is it correct?

I'm very used to the softness of nylon-multi string, however I usually found it: not good for spin, moves a lot, and breaks easily. That's why I tried to use poly for cross twice (Prince Poly Gut and Luxilon Adrenaline), and the result are: very much less movement, good spin, but only soft at first then easily become board-like (I believe that's what become dead is). Thus I looked for poly that is very soft, not easily turn dead and powerful. After some time I came up with PSE and SPPP (they're not expensive either).

Your suggestion?

Btw, having the same thinking, perhaps you're my long lost twin brother. :P J/k

Why not cross them, with energy mains/sppp cross?

I'm not sure completely leaving multi since it does fantastic for me. Second reason, nor of the string is sold in my place. But fortunately a friend of mine will be back next month and willing to help me buy things. So, I'd rather choose one.

Thanks anyway.

JT_2eighty
02-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your sharing. And by your way of thinking that SPPP is "good tension maintenance" and PSE is "good liveliness maintenance" I assume you're saying that both of them are different parameters of string. Is it correct?

Yes. While both are on the softer side of polys, Energy is very often referred to as extremely soft, and some even compare it to a syn gut type softness. SPPP on the other hand still has mixed reviews about its softness, but overwhelmingly great for tension hold. It just seems Energy is consistently softer, but also with decent tension loss (again, just by reviews and not my experience I have not tried either, yet).

I'm very used to the softness of nylon-multi string, however I usually found it: not good for spin, moves a lot, and breaks easily. That's why I tried to use poly for cross twice (Prince Poly Gut and Luxilon Adrenaline), and the result are: very much less movement, good spin, but only soft at first then easily become board-like (I believe that's what become dead is). Thus I looked for poly that is very soft, not easily turn dead and powerful. After some time I came up with PSE and SPPP (they're not expensive either).

Your suggestion?

Yes, by 'going dead' most are referring to the 'become board-like' sensation, but also the tension loss. Monofilament poly strings stiffen over time and also experience dramatic tension loss. The whole "string is dead" terminology often refers to the tension loss issue, but also the stiffening effect of low-elasticity strings like poly.

I would try the PSE first. I'd be curious to hear how it holds up for you in the long run. Even the softest polys lose their elasticity (get stiffer/board-like) on a long enough timeline, it is just the nature of the material's resilience.

sepidoel
02-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Hearing your explanation I think I'll like PSE better than SPPP. My thinking is: since I use poly for my cross then tension stab should be a little less important than liveliness, power and comfort (CMIIW). Now I'm waiting for my friend news whether or not he already bought SPPP for me.

Anyway, thanks a lot for everything you guys have shared. Especially JT_2eighty, hope your experiment bring you great result. :)