PDA

View Full Version : Players who really bombed after switching racquets

christo
02-25-2011, 09:03 AM
let's get started:
Davydenko- Prince to Dunlop to Prince, still looking for his game
JC Ferrero- POG to O3 to POG to O3, chickenpox didn't help either
Llubicic- Bab to Head (caveat) It took well over a year to find his form again.
Obviously money can't buy you love, more like love 40.
Keep the names coming, and the paint jobs, talk about false advertising!
That's a whole other story...........

Macro80
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
When Djoko first went to Head his serve and forehand took a year long vacation.

struggle
02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
switching brands? or switching rackets?

christo
02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
good one!........

christo
02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
either or.......

Hankenstein
02-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Verdasco when playing Tecnifibre, Yonex, Tecni, Dunlop, Tecni, Dunlop and so on...

Eduardo Schwank . From the very control oriented Fischer Pro No 1 to Babolat Pure Drive GT.. He lost over 100 places without any injury.. Then he went back to Fischer (now Pacific) and he is much more solid again

Mdubb23
02-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Verdasco when playing Tecnifibre, Yonex, Tecni, Dunlop, Tecni, Dunlop and so on...

Eduardo Schwank . From the very control oriented Fischer Pro No 1 to Babolat Pure Drive GT.. He lost over 100 places without any injury.. Then he went back to Fischer (now Pacific) and he is much more solid again

I didn't put two and two together, but you're exactly right.

SirGounder
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Yeah that whole Verdasco thing was a joke. It just seems like a distraction/excuse more than anything.

Nextman916
02-25-2011, 02:19 PM

either or.......

Can PJ's throw your game? lol some players might actually tell you that.

big bang
02-25-2011, 02:36 PM
let's get started:
Davydenko- Prince to Dunlop to Prince, still looking for his game
JC Ferrero- POG to O3 to POG to O3, chickenpox didn't help either
Llubicic- Bab to Head (caveat) It took well over a year to find his form again.
Obviously money can't buy you love, more like love 40.
Keep the names coming, and the paint jobs, talk about false advertising!
That's a whole other story...........

Head is what screwed up JCs game!.

NLBwell
02-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Briian Gottfried
Wilson to Snauwaert (Wood)
Laver and a lot of the Aussies to Chemold metal rackets - ended up playing with wood with paintjobs.

Tennis sensation
02-25-2011, 10:41 PM

LOL. Nice one

Valdez737
02-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Djoke got into a super slump that's why fed will never change his stick

Pioneer
02-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Djoko just wasn't the same player when he switched and needed a year to get back in shape.

Carolina Racquet
02-26-2011, 02:36 AM
My understanding is that Djokavich didn't actually switch racquets, but merely went from a Wilson Blade pj to the Head Pro pj.

What went on with him was stiff-arming his serves and going through a few coaching changes.

Has he actually attributed his "slump" to his racquet?

Pioneer
02-26-2011, 02:48 AM
I don't care what VSbabolat and so forth will tell you. Facts are Djokovic was out in QF of AO in 2009 by Tsonga whom he schooled in the 2008 final, facts are he played bad in 2009, right after "switching racquets"

vsbabolat
02-26-2011, 03:14 AM
I don't care what VSbabolat and so forth will tell you. Facts are Djokovic was out in QF of AO in 2009 by Tsonga whom he schooled in the 2008 final, facts are he played bad in 2009, right after "switching racquets"

What do I have to do with this conversation????????:confused:

The real fact is that at the 2009 Australian Open Djokovic lost to Andy Roddick in the Quarterfinals. Djokovic, retired do to injury in the fourth set of his quarterfinal with Andy Roddick, trailing 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-2, 2-1. Djokovic was heavily criticized for being the defending champion and retiring during a tough match in 2009 Australian Open.
. Tsonga lost in the Quarterfinals to Ferdasco 7-6(7-2), 3-6,6-3, 6-2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Australian_Open_%E2%80%93_Men's_Singles

It was at the 2010 Australian Open that Tsonga beat Djokovic in the Quarterfinals 7-6(10-8), 6-7(5-7), 1-6, 6-3, 6-1. After a year back with HEAD racquets.

BounceHitBounceHit
02-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Can PJ's throw your game? lol some players might actually tell you that.

Sampras apparently thought so. He refused to use PJ's of his PS 85!! :) BHBH

BounceHitBounceHit
02-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Safin went into a tailspin after winning the US Open and then switching to Dunlop (from Head) even though Dunlop supposedly made him a custom frame to suit his tastes and exact specs! ;) BHBH

vsbabolat
02-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Safin went into a tailspin after winning the US Open and then switching to Dunlop (from Head) even though Dunlop supposedly made him a custom frame to suit his tastes and exact specs! ;) BHBH

Safin used a blacked out Prestige Classic 600 for most of that time period. The only time I remember him using a "Custom" Dunlop MW 200G 90 was at the 2001 Grass court season and teh first hard court event in N.A.. All other times it was the Prestige Classic 600.

jwbarrientos
02-26-2011, 04:10 AM
I'd go with Verdasco following by Nole and Davidenko

jwbarrientos
02-26-2011, 04:11 AM

Verdasco should talk to Eduardo, both speak spanish :-?

got spin?
02-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Wozniacki anyone? Why go to World no. 1 and switch to the chick stick known as yonex? yonex has got to be the biggest girl frame line ever. Why in the world did she switch????!!!!! From an awesome brand (ahem, Babolat) to a little wimpy yonex? That we will never know.

galain
02-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Willy Coria going from Prince to Head wasn't particularly successful, although you could make the argument that he'd lost his mind by then anyway.

Mauresmo on the women's side? Was it an actual switch or a paintjob? Didn't seem to help her any.

djokovicgonzalez2010
02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
It's really amazing that Dasco ditched Yonex when Dunlop offered him more. He won his first tournament with Yonex, which is unheard of, and since he switched to Dunlop (not clay season, where it was really a Technifibre) he's been total ****

FedererBestTennis
02-26-2011, 03:19 PM
The most obvious one that comes to mind is Djokovic's abomination with Head. He has really found his form though now. He is definitely playing the best tennis of his life.

vsbabolat
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
The most obvious one that comes to mind is Djokovic's abomination with Head. He has really found his form though now. He is definitely playing the best tennis of his life.

I don't know how you can call it a "abomination" when the man never dropped out of the top 4.:-?
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Novak-Djokovic.aspx?t=rh&y=2009

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Novak-Djokovic.aspx?t=rh&y=2010

BounceHitBounceHit
02-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Safin used a blacked out Prestige Classic 600 for most of that time period. The only time I remember him using a "Custom" Dunlop MW 200G 90 was at the 2001 Grass court season and teh first hard court event in N.A.. All other times it was the Prestige Classic 600.

Interesting! So his game went south all by itself! :) BHBH

li0scc0
02-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Wozniacki anyone? Why go to World no. 1 and switch to the chick stick known as yonex? yonex has got to be the biggest girl frame line ever. Why in the world did she switch????!!!!! From an awesome brand (ahem, Babolat) to a little wimpy yonex? That we will never know.

Of course she reached the Semifinals at the Australian Open and is winning tournaments since switching to Yonex, so she is NOT BOMBING. ;)

vsbabolat
02-26-2011, 04:46 PM

I think so.

How about Jimmy Arias. The only guy to have better results with a conventional wood racquet than a midsize Graphite.

Mansewerz
02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Wait, Nole actually switched?

big bang
02-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Novak went for a very stiff racquet to an apparently flexible racquet I think someone said it was RA 54!
It seemed like a dumb choice as he didn't play to well in 2009, but it seems that it was a good decision in the long run lol.
Oh my here we go again..

cork_screw
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Everyone here is picking the obvious ones. Biggest one is probably Ljubicic switching from Babolat Pure Drive to Head Extreme. He had such a vicious forehand and his backhand was one of the best. Now you don't even hear about him. But who knows people here only have a memory span of 2 years on these forums.

HBK4life
02-28-2011, 05:15 AM
I know Muster won a couple HC titles with that odd racket he switched too but he just kinda went away after that imo.

Carolina Racquet
02-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Oh my here we go again..

I'm also chuckling...

For those who think that top male pro's switch to the exact racquet they're endorsing, wake up!!

The manufacturers only want to sell their new line of racquets.

The pro's want good performance and make some easy money.

If the companies can sell racquets by producing paint jobs on the existing frame the pro's have always used, it's a win, win. The company can sell their new frames and the pro's make great money with the performance they're used to.

The only contradiction to this rule is when the pro gets an endorsement from a company where their designs can't pass the pj test. Example... going from Prince O ports to conventional frames and from a conventionally shaped frame to the unique Yonex rectangular frame.

WHY would it make sense to do anything else when you're at the top level of players in the world?

JediMindTrick
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Djoke got into a super slump that's why fed will never change his stick

Didn't Federer win 16 slams after he changed racquets?

eidolonshinobi
02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm also chuckling...

For those who think that top male pro's switch to the exact racquet they're endorsing, wake up!!

The manufacturers only want to sell their new line of racquets.

The pro's want good performance and make some easy money.

If the companies can sell racquets by producing paint jobs on the existing frame the pro's have always used, it's a win, win. The company can sell their new frames and the pro's make great money with the performance they're used to.

The only contradiction to this rule is when the pro gets an endorsement from a company where their designs can't pass the pj test. Example... going from Prince O ports to conventional frames and from a conventionally shaped frame to the unique Yonex rectangular frame.

WHY would it make sense to do anything else when you're at the top level of players in the world?

Game, set, and match.

Richie Rich
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

was thinking of safin when i read the title of the thread. and i remember him actually blaming the racquet

Bhagi Katbamna
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM

It wasn't his game that went south it was his mind.

Also the reason that Sampras never switched graphics was that he found what was good for his game and never wanted to change anything(before he reitired anyways).

SempreSami
02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Ivanovic had a good five months after she switched to Yonex but then went into freefall.

JediMindTrick
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Wozniacki anyone? Why go to World no. 1 and switch to the chick stick known as yonex? yonex has got to be the biggest girl frame line ever.

What kind of question is this? She switched to a chick stick because she's a chick.

LPShanet
03-06-2011, 11:28 PM
My understanding is that Djokavich didn't actually switch racquets, but merely went from a Wilson Blade pj to the Head Pro pj.

What went on with him was stiff-arming his serves and going through a few coaching changes.

Has he actually attributed his "slump" to his racquet?

He did actually switch racquets, so your understanding may have been a misunderstanding. Head came fairly close to his prior frames (keep in mind that the Wilson was also intended to be like his original Head), but was not a PJ'd Wilson...it was made by Head.

Oh, and that's not at all how you spell Djokovic.

LPShanet
03-06-2011, 11:30 PM

Brand-baiting aside, her record so far in 2011 is better with the Yonex than it was for the same events last year. But if we actually care about accuracy and not "my favorite brand is better than yours", we may want to wait and see how the rest of the year pans out for her.

LPShanet
03-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I think so.

How about Jimmy Arias. The only guy to have better results with a conventional wood racquet than a midsize Graphite.

If you don't count Bjorn Borg :)

LPShanet
03-06-2011, 11:33 PM
It wasn't his game that went south it was his mind.

It's not clear that Safin's mind was ever "North".

LPShanet
03-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Surprised that no one has mentioned Agassi's original switch to Donnay, which by his own admission was a disaster.

stringertom
03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
If the Indian knows the art of archery his arrows will reach his target no matter what type of bow he uses. Bobby Riggs used to play exhibitions using a housebroom instead of a racquet. BTW, Wilson used to be leader in messing with contract players' games (i.e. Connors T2000 to PS, Edberg PS to 6.1PS). This whole DelPo episode is an eerie reminder, but I'm convinced he ignored the 10%-less Lux disclaimer at his own peril, thus losing a year to an injury that could have been avoided.

vsbabolat
03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
If the Indian knows the art of archery his arrows will reach his target no matter what type of bow he uses. Bobby Riggs used to play exhibitions using a housebroom instead of a racquet. BTW, Wilson used to be leader in messing with contract players' games (i.e. Connors T2000 to PS, Edberg PS to 6.1PS). This whole DelPo episode is an eerie reminder, but I'm convinced he ignored the 10%-less Lux disclaimer at his own peril, thus losing a year to an injury that could have been avoided.

Edberg never really switched to the PSC 6.1. It was only a paint job.

Ronaldo
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Maybe this thread should be titled 'Players wh did not bomb after switching racquets'? Only Nadal IMHO

billsgwn
03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
What kind of question is this? She switched to a chick stick because she's a chick.

I was thinking the same thing. Theres no question with her either like there could be with some others. (Mauresmo)

ser_renely
03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
A lot of Yonex hate

stringertom
03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
A lot of Yonex hate

Funny the Yonex haters develop amnesia re:Wimbledon men's title won after conversion from Wilson to Yonex. RK's game resembled women's tennis in what way?