PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

GOOOOOGA
06-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Just got back from a B16 tourney, and lost. It's starting to become a habit. I lose close matches. What is wrong with me?

I play SO well against people I know or people I've heard about. I can beat or hang in there against guys ALOT better than me, but I can never beat the players I haven't ever heard of or are just as good as me.

I never seem to hit the ball cleanly against these people, yet against friends/guys-better-than-me, I play VERY well. Does anyone have any helpful tips on the mental game? I know I can seriously start WINNING tournaments if I can just get over this hump.

I have the least mental strength of probably anyone here in this forum.

Very very frustrating. It seems as if every two or three games, my mind turns off and I forget how to play. This kid had a pretty good serve, but I was doing well to return it. Then, at 3-4 down, I suddenly frame EVERY SINGLE SERVE he sends at me.

Grrrr

SageOfDeath
06-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Well this could be because you are comfortable playing against people you KNOW. I don't doubt your mental strength at all but playing against someone you don't know can be hard to do. Playing lots of matches with DIFFERENT people will help your mental game. I don't quite understand what you mean by you play SO WELL against people a lot better than you.... that doesn't add up.... Is it because they hit harder? I think consistancy is ranked higher than how hard you can hit the ball. Some people I play against seem like i could crush them so easily but they consistantly hit this weak paceless lob and it throws me off. When you play your matches take note about WHY you lose certain points and work to improve. Mental game is very important but I think it might be a particular shot you are weak against.

Exile
06-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Face your fear and your fear will disappear.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

err...gl hf ds kt bc.

Return_Ace
06-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Googa, I sympathise with you................when I play in school i play great tennis, consistent, powerful and great touch, but when I go into tourneys or play against people I don't know then i don't play as well, I think when you're with your friends you're more relaxed......

jonnyf check ur e-mail

Jonnyf
06-18-2005, 11:04 AM
that happens to me sooo much i hate it

and i've checked and replied

GOOOOOGA
06-18-2005, 11:28 AM
I think my problem is that I don't get pumped up to play people I haven't ever heard about. I know that sounds really stupid. If I'm playing let's say the top seed in the draw, I'll come ready and pumped and psyched to play the guy. But if it's some player I don't know about, I don't know if he's good or not and I'll just play a flat, lifeless game.

Return Ace, thats EXACTLy what happens to me. In school matches, its easier to lock in cuz you have people rooting you on, but in the tourney scene its just u and the other guy.

Return_Ace
06-18-2005, 11:32 AM
haha googa, I meant when i play in school, as in with my friends, I just missed out on the school team since we have good players, but not many schools can be bothered with fxing school matches.................

I wish I had people rooting me on ............................

I find that I can't get too pumped or I'll burn out half way through the match, but if I don't get pumped I become a slow starter.................*sigh* problems with tennis.......

Exile
06-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Finals are soo lonely too.

STTCA(south texas tennis coaches association) tournament, not a soul in the finals rooting anyone. I lost to a pusher. MY COACH JUST KEPT MINGLING AND LAUGHING.

It's my senior year, so I'm going to peg him many times.

federrero
06-18-2005, 01:30 PM
I know what you are talking about something similar happens to me as well. When your game starts to break down, think about restoring basics do not try to make everything come back at once. For me, for example, watching ball really hard on each point helps. Once confidence is back, the rest will catch up.

GOOOOOGA
06-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Once confidence is back, the rest will catch up.

you just found my biggest problem. as u said, when a player's game breaks down, his confidence gets shot. that happens to me. its good to know that im not the only person who has this problem

thejackal
06-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Read Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert. By being systematic about every aspect of the game, your mind wanders a lot less.

newracketagain??
06-18-2005, 03:47 PM
i agree... when u start to drop off during a match.. just 110% concentrate on the ball.. look at ti so hard that u can see the hairs on it....

i also kinda have this problem... i can only get into a match if i tell myself i HATE tge person im playing against, i know this sounds crazzy but its true.. tennis as much about overcoming youre own little midn games as it is about killer serves, volleys and groundstrokes

GOOOOOGA
06-18-2005, 06:06 PM
i can only get into a match if i tell myself i HATE tge person im playing against, i know this sounds crazzy but its true..

whoa... thats so true. just thinking about it, i always play very well against this one guy who i hate cuz he's a cocky sunnava*****. its tough against those "quiet" types that look like their closet metalheads or cut themselves, those types that look like theyr about to **** in their pants during the match.

im gonna pick up winning ugly in the next coupla days from the library. i heard "The Inner Game of Tennis" is supposed to be the book for mental tennis.

ZhangM58
06-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Remember not to rush on your serves, take your time. Let the person who you are playing work for every point. the most important thing is One point at a time. GOod luck!

enk
06-18-2005, 09:56 PM
GOOOOOGA,

Seems like there are not enough 'motivation' when you play against an 'unknown' player.

When you play against a stronger opponent, your goal is very clear: hang in there as long as possible.

When you plat against someone you hate, you goal is very clear: win at all cost.

Since you said you've no problem playing against these 2 types, I'll suggest you to make up a 'goal' for yourself when you play an 'unknown' next time.

Tell yousrelf: I am going to win 2 points out of every 3.
Tell yourself to break him on the third game.
Tell yourself to hit at least play 6 shots befroe you loss.
Tell yourself ...

Try this to keep your competitive spirit up and focus in the present.
;)

GOOOOOGA
06-19-2005, 09:00 AM
thats great advice. thanks. i'll definitely try that next time im out there.