PDA

View Full Version : Stop volley

panatta
06-18-2005, 04:34 AM
How do you play the stop volley? Do you hit the ball with backspin or do you prefer to play this shot simply stopping the ball with a short movement of the forearm-wrist? Agassi played his stop volleys in that way...

Marius_Hancu
06-18-2005, 04:51 AM
need touch, soft arms

let the racket bounce back upon impact to absorb ball energy while slicing a bit at the ball

andreh
06-18-2005, 07:54 AM
I put some backspin on it by flicking my wrist slightly at the moment of impact. I also found that the stop volley is much easier to do with a high string tension.

Bungalo Bill
06-19-2005, 04:44 PM
need touch, soft arms

let the racket bounce back upon impact to absorb ball energy while slicing a bit at the ball

Yes, this is a good direction for someone learning to do this. The only other thing I would add to this is:

1. Try and feel the volley more in your legs and use your legs to help you take the pace off.

2. Swing from the shoulder joint not the wrist or elbow. The wrist and elbow should be almost completely fixed.

3. Soften the fingers but not too soft that the racquethead moves around.

In a way, it is a lot like catching a raw egg tossed to you. You want to absorb the energy as Marius indicated.

panatta
06-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Thank you. I will try today.. :--)
Bye!

Carley1986
06-21-2005, 06:00 AM
Be careful though about stop volley, when the ball is coming to you very fast and with a lot of spin, I suggest don't do a stop volley, because it will fly off your racquet very quickly. Make sure you have a very soft hand

panatta
06-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Thank you Carley.. you're so beatiful.. I had a girlfriend who looks like you. Soft hand in stop volley: I hadn't considered this yet. I will do now

Bungalo Bill
06-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Be careful though about stop volley, when the ball is coming to you very fast and with a lot of spin, I suggest don't do a stop volley, because it will fly off your racquet very quickly. Make sure you have a very soft hand

Yeah, good advice but normally a player wouldnt be thinking of executing a drop or stop volley on a fast paced ball. Just not enough time to get in control to do it. However, a player can practice (especially a player with touch) and execute a drop volley with reasonably good pace on the ball. It just takes practice and getting a feel for the amount of pressure that needs to be in the hands and arm on at contact.