PDA

View Full Version : Life in Boston

galain
03-02-2011, 12:46 AM
There's a very small chance my wife and I may be relocating next year. Of all the places we could go, we noticed Boston on the list. Never thought about it before, but the more I ponder, the more appealing it sounds. We don't have a great deal of say, other than being able to make a gentle request.

Can anyone give me an idea of life in Boston? I know the weather will invariably come up, but we're in the German countryside at the moment where we get snowed in for 2-3 months a year, so cold and wet won't come as a shock.

Many thanks

Polaris
03-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Galain, the greater Boston area is quite a nice place. Since you are from Europe, it is probably relevant to say that Boston is more similar to a European city than most American cities. By that, I mean that the architecture is more reminiscent of Western Europe because of the city's history. In contrast to LA or Phoenix or Houston, Boston is much smaller and, in a few hours, you can walk through most of it. In fact, Boston and Cambridge rank among the highest in the US for the number of people who walk or bike or take the public transport to work.

Owing to the Charles River, and the proximity to the ocean, the city and its surroundings are quite beautiful. The New England weather is not exactly comfortable though, and tennis could suffer as a result, in November through March. There is lots to see in museums, historical landmarks and such stuff, and the city is kind of mad about its sports teams (Celtics, Bruins, Patriots, RedSox).

The population is generally liberal or independent (a different kind of liberal from California). A significant percentage is young academic people (students, researchers, faculty, scientists) due to the concentration of good universities in the area - MIT, Harvard, Boston University, Tufts, Northeastern, UMass.

Note that renting and buying real estate is costly in Boston and Cambridge and good school districts for kids (like Lexington), but becomes significantly more affordable as you move slightly out of Boston, i.e., into Arlington, Woburn, Framingham, Marlborough, etc.

Crime is prevalent in the south of Boston, i.e., Roxbury and Dorchester but not elsewhere. So, I won't recommend living in those two places.

Hope this helps. I'll add more in the evening, since I've got to rush to work.

basil J
03-02-2011, 05:15 AM
I live in a town about 15 minutes NW of Boston and could not imagine living anywhere else. Good school systems,close proximity to the oceans in the summer and the mountains for skiing in the winter. Plenty of indoor tennis during the cold months, plenty of USTA league play as well as tennis northeast singles league play available throughout the year. The town is rich in history and there is always plenty to do.

Totai
03-02-2011, 05:32 AM
I live in a town about 15 minutes NW of Boston and could not imagine living anywhere else. Good school systems,close proximity to the oceans in the summer and the mountains for skiing in the winter. Plenty of indoor tennis during the cold months, plenty of USTA league play as well as tennis northeast singles league play available throughout the year. The town is rich in history and there is always plenty to do.

We should set up a tennis northeast sometime. I live in Woburn

Dedans Penthouse
03-02-2011, 05:52 AM
The population is generally liberal or independent (a different kind of liberal from California). A significant percentage is young academic people (students, researchers, faculty, scientists) due to the concentration of good universities in the area - MIT, Harvard, Boston University, Tufts, Northeastern, UMass.
& Boston College.

Totai
03-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Boston is also very nice looking, and is a "laid back" city. It it is close enough to cape cod, which is very charming in the summer days. Yuo can enjoy all sorts of activities in the summer, sailing, fishing, scuba diving, out door tennis, golf. And in the winter you can ski, indoor tennis.

There are also quite a few performances around the area. you can go to a good theatrical perfromance year round, and also a lot of musical artists pass through Boston. David Bowie was here a couple of months ago, and so was Gary Numan :D

this might matter to you, but generally, cell phone reception is great around eastern Ma, and you have many options for broadband internet services, such as Fios

shazbot
03-02-2011, 07:01 AM
My girlfriend lives in the South End/Back Bay area. It is probably the nicest area of Boston if you are looking to move there. Easy access to mass transit and plenty of shopping and restaurants.

galain
03-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Thank you everyone for the posts so far - I really appreciate it.

Sounds like a nice place! I'm an Aussie and spent my last 8 years in Oz in Melbourne. After moving to the Black Forest the one thing I really miss is the energy of a university town. Boston seems to have that in spades.

We may well take a look over the summer to get a better feel for the place.
Many thanks again everyone.

Polaris
03-02-2011, 10:58 AM
& Boston College
Indeed! That was a glaring omission.

Thank you everyone for the posts so far - I really appreciate it.

Sounds like a nice place! I'm an Aussie and spent my last 8 years in Oz in Melbourne. After moving to the Black Forest the one thing I really miss is the energy of a university town. Boston seems to have that in spades.

We may well take a look over the summer to get a better feel for the place.
Many thanks again everyone.
The university town feel is much stronger in Cambridge, just across the river from Boston.

basil J
03-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Totai, I have taken the winter off to give the body a break, plus I ski every weekend so I my focus has been on the snow. I will be playing in the spring TNE league so we will certainly hook up over the summer. I play out of the woburn & winchester clubs in the winter and mainly play at reading high in the warmer months. There are other TW posters I have met in the area over the years and have made some good friends through this board.