PDA

View Full Version : custom fit orthotics

cowboywojo
03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Does anyone remember the ad during the Australian Open for the custom fit orthotics? If so, please respond.

LeeD
03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I didn't see it.
BUT, I've searched the internet for a tall, strong, resilient orthodic arch support and haven't come close to finding one.
Back in high school, we all had custom orthodics paid for by the school. That was 45 years ago.
Medical supply stores. Sports stores assume your feet are perfect, and only sell up to PowerfeetMaxx's.

cowboywojo
03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
The one that I am thinking of has the blue clay that you put your feet into to make an imprint and send it to the company, and they send back the orthotics. they had a payment plan of 59.00 per month for three months.

li0scc0
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
SOLE brand are outstanding. Try them out, well worth the small (<$50) they cost. Heat molded to your foot, they conform for perfect support. I liked them better than custom made ones which can be $400+, as they are stiffer with better support for athletic endeavors like tennis.

morten
03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
SOLE brand are outstanding. Try them out, well worth the small (<$50) they cost. Heat molded to your foot, they conform for perfect support. I liked them better than custom made ones which can be $400+, as they are stiffer with better support for athletic endeavors like tennis.

right, i would not heat them up first, they will shape as you wear them, pretty good soles.

Lemoned
03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
There was a thread about custom insoles after AO final. Not related to the ad you mentioned though.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=366398

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Novak+Djokovic+2011+Australian+Open+Day+14+_7lRF9Z Ui6Wl.jpg

Hewex
03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I went the my foot Dr. for mine. It's the best investment I could have made for my feet, knees and hips.

sureshs
03-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Fedace is the expert on orthotics

Carolina Racquet
03-02-2011, 11:08 PM

+1 on this... I used something comparable and with the right shoe has made all the difference. Mine cost under $30 called SofSole Custom Inserts. I recommend following the instructions of heating them in the oven for 3 minutes, inserting and wearing for 5 minutes while standing. It not only molds your foot, it molds to the contours of the shoe for an even better fit.

http://img.runningwarehouse.com/new_product/SOFADPT-1.JPG

scotus
03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Some Costcos have started selling custom orthotics at a bargain price. If I remember correctly, it was under $100 a pair.

I do not know whether they charge extra for taking the mold.

CHOcobo
03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
i have two different set up of insoles for my shoes. all the soles are from walmart and they work wonderful, better than sorbothane and spenco's. but has any tried the walk fit. i remember seeing them on tv. i've been reading reviews about them. some say it is a scam some say it works and gotta give it a try.

scotus
03-03-2011, 03:27 AM
i have two different set up of insoles for my shoes. all the soles are from walmart and they work wonderful, better than sorbothane and spenco's. but has any tried the walk fit. i remember seeing them on tv. i've been reading reviews about them. some say it is a scam some say it works and gotta give it a try.

I have tried about 5 pairs of those, but you need a generic type of feet to use those. Also, don't even think about playing tennis in those. There is zero shock absorption on those.

I now use custom orthotics.

bad_call
03-03-2011, 06:58 AM
+1 on this... I used something comparable and with the right shoe has made all the difference. Mine cost under $30 called SofSole Custom Inserts. I recommend following the instructions of heating them in the oven for 3 minutes, inserting and wearing for 5 minutes while standing. It not only molds your foot, it molds to the contours of the shoe for an even better fit.

what is the durability for playing tennis? can they be reheated again for a different shoe?

bad_call
03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
never mind. found another thread with a bit more data.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=370547

CHOcobo
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
what about those black "sole ultra softec"? anyone tried those after baking them?

theres nothing wrong with my walmart setup, just that it's heavy and have two layers.

[d]ragon
03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Spenco_Total_Support_Replacement_Insoles/descpageMS-SPTSRIN.html

I use these to great effect but they do start to squeak after a while.
You can't really go wrong with any insole that says heatmoldable as those give custom fits but also tend to be the higher end ones as well

li0scc0
03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
what is the durability for playing tennis? can they be reheated again for a different shoe?

My SOLE insoles lasted me about 6 months. As a point of reference, I go through Barricade 6.0's in about 3 months, so pretty impressive durability.

bad_call
03-04-2011, 07:56 AM
My SOLE insoles lasted me about 6 months. As a point of reference, I go through Barricade 6.0's in about 3 months, so pretty impressive durability.

you a toe dragger?

LPShanet
03-07-2011, 12:22 AM
We might ask the mods to move this thread to the appropriate board, since it isn't related to pro gear. That may produce more results from people who actually saw the ad in question.

dr donut
03-08-2011, 04:41 AM
i started using the black and red SOLES 4 years ago in my tennis sneakers and now use them in all of my athletic footwear. they last, fit great and are reasonably priced.

CHOcobo
03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
i just got the walkfit and they are pretty annoying because theyr'e pushing constantly against your arc even when your just sitting down (no pain tho). however they're good for just walking only. takes sometime to get used the feel of it.

i really want to try that sole softec ultra for tennis. so pricey for a pair. if they're that good as EVERYONE say they are im planning to put them in 3 pair of shoes. really pricey.

LeeD
03-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Anything new, you gotta give it 2 weeks.
Try a new grip, maybe conti forehand just for fun. You hit 4 balls out of sight to your right, and you hate it, right?
Try a new bicycle. First time you need to stop quickly, you go over the bars with the new strong brakes, and you forgot to unclip!
I have the flattest feet of anyone, and use SuperGreens and PowerstepPinnacles, the highest supports off the shelf.

Tennisisgod
03-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Where did you order this, carolina? Thanks.

Carolina Racquet
03-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Where did you order this, carolina? Thanks.

You can both buy them online at many outlets or did what I did, went to a larger sporting goods store and picked some up. You'll pay about 25-30 bones for a set.

Look for either the SofSoles brand I mentioned or the SOLE brand. I believe they are comparable.

FuriousYellow
03-09-2011, 06:57 AM
You can both buy them online at many outlets or did what I did, went to a larger sporting goods store and picked some up. You'll pay about 25-30 bones for a set.

Look for either the SofSoles brand I mentioned or the SOLE brand. I believe they are comparable.

How long have you been using the SofSoles and how have they held up? I've been using the Sole brand for about six years, but these SofSoles are 33% cheaper.

I'm very satisfied with the Soles, but it can get rather expensive replacing them as I use them in all of my shoes. I normally replace them once a year. I'm curious how the SofSoles last.

Carolina Racquet
03-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Have had them for only a few months, but so far, so good in terms of holding up. I play about 8 hours a week.

The lower price motivated me to try these first.

li0scc0
03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
you a toe dragger?

I slide on hard courts. Grew up playing clay. I wear out the bottoms.

CHOcobo
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM

does anybody know how thick this insole is? i should try these out instead of the sole softec ultra.

bad_call
03-11-2011, 07:43 AM
I slide on hard courts. Grew up playing clay. I wear out the bottoms.

need to learn that technique...

eidolonshinobi
03-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Some Costcos have started selling custom orthotics at a bargain price. If I remember correctly, it was under $100 a pair.

I do not know whether they charge extra for taking the mold.

Don't do it. I fell into the trap thinking it was "custom." The "orthotix" brand they use are just stock insoles that fit closely to your foot size and arch type. I broke two of their "athletic" pairs in a year. Thankfully it's costco and I got my money back :)

Blade0324
03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
I actually use the Archmolds insoles in mine. They are meat molded in the oven like the Sole brand but having used them both I prefer the Archmolds. They are a bit thicker and have a better cloth material on the top that your foot doesn't slide as much on top of the insole.

cowboywojo
03-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Thank you for all of the replies and assistance. I found the site from watchingthe Indian Wells tournament on the Tennis Channel. The name was Pro Support Systems. They had a great web site and send you a box with blue foam or clay inside. Apparently what you do is make an impression of your reet into the blue material and send t to the company and they send you a set of custom fit orthotics. I was wondering if anyone has tried this or anything like it via mail (not through the podiatrist)???