PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback on the 300g oversize ?

atatu
04-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Lots of feedback on the mid, but has anyone hit with the OS ? Any comments are appreciated.

marc tressard
04-23-2004, 04:10 AM
I'm one of the very few here who gravitates towards smaller oversized, >100, tweeners and have tried out too many to admit to. My #1 interest is a bigger than average sized sweetspot and some comfort to complement the control. Here is the problem you and everyone else must grapple with. Many years ago in a galaxy far away I used a racket very very very close in spec to the 300G, a Fischer Revolution 105 (1/4" shorter than the 500G). It was frusutrating and ultimately not beneficial to enjoying the game. At the end of the day you realize it is a bad design (if used in stock form) because at 10.5 oz strung and a bit HL you have below average stability and less punch than you'd imagine from a 105 head. In fact youhav elss punch than with a far heavier pure players racket that is a painto swing. I've found tomy chagrin that this class of racket can offer the least power of any niche in the market! The stability deficit gets worse as you face better players. On slower pace you have to swing very hard tog et depth. If you opt to add weight you end up close to a player's frame and lose the manueverability edge you hoped for in the first place! TENNIS even made a point of this staiblity issue in its short review. At this weight and balance Iam starting to believe you need a wider profile as with the Volkl V1, higher balance as with the Dunlop 600G ICE (never tried it) or maybe the Wilson H Tour 105 (have not tried one as I never seem to appreciate lighter Wilson product) or the PK Core 10 (a full 3/4 ounce heavier. How I wish TW would decide to give us tests of this class of racket more often. So unless your overrdding goal is lower weight and you swing as fast as Elvis and as long as the Nordic summer night I'd look elsewhere.

mary fierce
04-23-2004, 05:44 AM
The most knowledgeable pro shop owner in my area, a guy who tries everything that comes out, told me he didn't plan to carry the oversize as he found it awful when he hit with it. He carries and recommends the 98.

YEMntFtb
04-23-2004, 06:28 PM
in my opinion there is not much difference between the 105 and the 98 - I liked the 98 better, much more feel and over all its better to use a smaller head size, it gets you better at hitting the sweet spot. the racquet is very stable, sort of stiff but easy on the arm and packs good depht and power with control - test them both out from tennis warehouse