PDA

View Full Version : Yet another kickserve question

wfudeac
06-18-2005, 06:09 PM
I think I'm getting underneath the ball enough, and hitting up (By the way, someone on here had a great tip of trying to hit the sun instead of just trying to hit the ball during the serve...Makes a huge difference!)

I think the problem is coming from my toss. I know I should throw it to the left, but I also understand that you're supposed to throw it behind your head...How far behind? Also, how high are you supposed to throw the ball, and do you hit it at its peak, or before it peaks?

Thanks!

TwistServe
06-18-2005, 06:36 PM
I personally like to throw the ball so that if it were to land, it would bounce on my head or maybe my left shoulder. This way I can really go through the ball and get some penetration. If you throw it behind your head you'll get less penetration and more spin. I throw the ball about 1 foot higher than my contact point and take it as it's coming down. This gives me time to bend my knee, set the racquet ready to uncoil, and gives my brain some time to "think"... Some people like to throw where the peak is contact point, and some people like to hit the ball as its going up. The higher you throw the ball the faster it will come down and may be harder to time clean contact (laws of gravity).. This is something I think you'll get a grasp on by simply experimenting. Everyone has a preference area and I just told you my preference.

divito
06-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Just watch Prince of Tennis, then it will all make sense :D

But TwistServe knows what he is talking about.

wfudeac
06-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Awesome, thanks! From a different post it sounded like TwistServe can hit a variety of kick serves, so thanks for the advice! Maybe I was tossing it too far behind me, and also I was hitting it on the way up which I'm really not used to doing.

tdnxxx444
07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
I personally like to throw the ball so that if it were to land, it would bounce on my head or maybe my left shoulder. This way I can really go through the ball and get some penetration. If you throw it behind your head you'll get less penetration and more spin. I throw the ball about 1 foot higher than my contact point and take it as it's coming down. This gives me time to bend my knee, set the racquet ready to uncoil, and gives my brain some time to "think"... Some people like to throw where the peak is contact point, and some people like to hit the ball as its going up. The higher you throw the ball the faster it will come down and may be harder to time clean contact (laws of gravity).. This is something I think you'll get a grasp on by simply experimenting. Everyone has a preference area and I just told you my preference.

Sorry for hijacking the post, but what kind of grip do use Twistserve? Cont. or E.BH?

x Southpaw x
07-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Yep, if you were serving on one spot, throw it such that it would land on your head. I do it for my second serve.

For first serve, I throw it vertically up, because I launch myself at the ball and land inside the court. Do this after you've got at least 90% of your "second serves" in.

Bungalo Bill
07-06-2005, 08:09 PM
I think I'm getting underneath the ball enough, and hitting up (By the way, someone on here had a great tip of trying to hit the sun instead of just trying to hit the ball during the serve...Makes a huge difference!)

I think the problem is coming from my toss. I know I should throw it to the left, but I also understand that you're supposed to throw it behind your head...How far behind? Also, how high are you supposed to throw the ball, and do you hit it at its peak, or before it peaks?

Thanks!

It depends on how healthy your back is!

I tend to toss the ball so that if I stopped my motion it would hit the back half of my head. Remember though I am 46 years old. The hard part about the kickserve is to keep the brush of the ball correctly. Many players toss correctly but glance the ball more in a topspin fashion. As a result, very little twist.

TwistServe
07-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Sorry for hijacking the post, but what kind of grip do use Twistserve? Cont. or E.BH?

Usually continental but sometimes I'll do a ebh to mix it up a little. I like a little more penetration and I find I can still get a lot of spin with just continental.

tennisgeek505
07-07-2005, 12:32 AM
if u really wana get a good kick serve pretend that ur hitting the sky it helped me alot so u shukd try it

SageOfDeath
07-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Just watch Prince of Tennis, then it will all make sense :D

But TwistServe knows what he is talking about.

Pshhhh Prince of Tennis has an extremely unrealistic twist serve. The ball spins on the court for like 10 seconds and kicks up into someone's face? I haven't really watched the anime long enough to even know if they have good stroke mechanics.

Prince_of_Tennis
07-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Easternbackhand...Brush up on the ball as you swing forward. Imagine hittin a topspin forehand. All about legs bend them and release all that energy straight up. It'll come in no time.

x Southpaw x
07-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Pshhhh Prince of Tennis has an extremely unrealistic twist serve. The ball spins on the court for like 10 seconds and kicks up into someone's face? I haven't really watched the anime long enough to even know if they have good stroke mechanics.

Well surprisingly POT does seem to know quite a bit about the mechanics of tennis. They just exaggerate stuff a lot. Ryoma's twist serve does what a real twist serve does... curve in the air like a normal topspin serve, but upon bounce, kicks in the opposite direction. If you are a righty, can consistently serve into body with the twist serve and can get it to kick at precisely head level, you've got Ryoma's twist serve =D

The artist of POT may not know much about tennis, but he definitely got a bunch of information about it from a pro or a good coach so that he can build his anime around it. Of course a few are completely imaginative. Twist Serve is exaggerated twist serve, Drive B is exaggerated swing volley, Moon Volley is exaggerated topspin lob, Snake is exaggerated buggy whip shot, Dive Volley is exaggerated dive volley, Zeroshiki is DEFINITELY exaggerated drop shot, Data Tennis is exaggerated percentage tennis. Tsubame Gaeshi is exaggerated skidding slice drive. The anime's so bad that it's good =D

mucat
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Oh yes, if you bought POT from some shops in chinatown, it is even better. Lots of spelling errors, translations are sometimes all wrong. It just makes the anime even more entertaining, "they are using the australian array...", "...super up hitting shot"......

Does anyone toss the ball more into the court? I toss about 1-1/2 ft away from the body and into the court, still to my left though. I think I got tons of spins and good speed on my serve. Should I try tossing it more on top of me? I am guessing tossing close to the body will produce more spin but less speed, right?

Indiantwist
07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Who is Prince of tennis? a member of this forum? or one of the pro?

diredesire
07-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Who is Prince of tennis? a member of this forum? or one of the pro?

It's an anime series (anime = japanese animation).

If you are really interested i can probably host an episode, although i think they're too big...

x Southpaw x
07-08-2005, 12:19 AM
That anime started getting boring when they came up with all these impossible shots that they use over and over
LOL. "It's so bad that it's good," is what all my friends that watched it agree upon. And it's the impossible shots that make it so fun. And the anime keeps coming up with more and more impossible shots every matchplay. What's interesting is how the artist uses his imagination and how he exaggerates shots/gameplays that are used in real life tennis. Anyone remember Momoshiro's Dunk Smash? Pete Sampras only used it a few times but Momo does it EVERY overhead hahahahaha.