PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new stick for flat hitter ?? Need your help !

ronin
04-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi !

My name is Ron and I live in Europe.
I'm a 4.0 mybe 4.5 NTRP player and need a good replacement
for my old stick which is BABOLAT classic Ti MP (you can find it only in Europe), strung with Bab' Titanium 15g at 57lbs , 16X19.
I play most of the time from the baseline, I have a strong one handed BH, most of the time I hit flat or with a little of topspin and when I do an angle shots I like to use heavy topspin.

I did not replace my current stick for more then 2 years, and now it is time to get a new one due to my improvement in game.

I can't demo or try many sticks but I did try the i. prestige MP and the LM radical and hated them. Also tried the Wilson PS6.0 and it's
a bit to heavy for me . The only one that I try and love is the PD but I think that it's not the best choise for me (lake of control).

Can you please help me to choose a new stick :?:

spinbalz
04-23-2004, 12:33 AM
You should try Babolat Pure Control and ure Control MP, or Head I.Extreme and I.X. Extreme, Head Ti. Prolite, or Major Exclusive symbio, or Völkl Tour 9, and Tour 9 V-Engine, Völkl Catapult 7 and Catapult 10.

jings
04-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Give the Wilson Surge 5.1 a whack. Hits as flat as anything I've come across but there's spin if you give it enough .... plenty of power so kinda what you're looking for from the back of the court. Comfortable off a s/h b/h as well. Supposedly Wilson's answer to the PD as well, but not why I mention it.

Paradorn's Yonnex, whatever it is, is probably in your zone too.

ronin
04-23-2004, 02:20 AM
I don't know about Yonex, I never played with their stick
and I do not know anyone that use it also. (Also Volkl)

What about Prince ?
Is the new Prince Diablo can be a good choice ? or mybe
the Babolat PC zylon360 ?

P.S
I also tried once Head Ti.radical for a set and it was for me
outstanding for control and volleys for somehow

rooski
04-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Since you are a flat hitter, I would recommend you go for a racket with a dense string pattern (18x20) like: the Head Prestige (all versions), Ti Radical, i Radical, or the Dunlop 200G, etc.

Pushmaster
04-23-2004, 05:32 AM
I agree with rooski about the 18X20 string pattern, because I'm a flat ball hitter myself. Of the racquets I've used, the Rok, Volkl Tour 10 mid, Ti Radical, are the best. Just ordered a Prestige Classic 600. :D

wao
04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
I agree with rooski, I just changed from a Babalot PC+ to the LM Prestige MP. Best choice I could have made. The 18X20 string pattern gives me the control and I gegerate the power.

Robert Jones
04-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I don't hit really flat myself but I play some guys that are really good that do.

One thing they seem to have in common is weight. No sub 11 oz sticks. One bought a lighter stick and he used it for 4 weeks and went back to his old one.

My uncle is a Pro and is not a huge top spin player. He uses heavy and lead tapes.

As far a which racquet? Tough one. You can have 4 12 oz sticks that all feel totally different. Swing weight and balance play a role. Probably no more than 7pt head light.

Just spend some cash and have TW send you some and try them.

I do not think the diablo MP is a good flat swingers stick. Maybe the mid would be better.

Alley Cat
04-23-2004, 01:53 PM
I also agree with many of the above points. I am a flat hitter and the heavier, dense string pattern racquets usually perform better for my game. After demoing quite a few racquets during the past couple of years I've found that the best frame so far is the Volkl Tour 10 V Engine. Its one sweet racquet and provides a great combo of feel, power and control for my game. I'm a 4.0-4.5 all court player and am going to try to stick with the Tour 10VE for the long-term. I strongly recommend that you give it a demo.

ProStaffTour90
04-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Since you are a flat hitter, I would recommend you go for a racket with a dense string pattern (18x20) like: the Head Prestige (all versions), Ti Radical, i Radical, or the Dunlop 200G, etc.

agreed, one of my hitting partners hits EVERYTHING extremely flat, and he gets along great with his Ti. Radicals!

ronin
04-24-2004, 12:52 PM
thanks for the tips but I've noteced and also my friends
noteced it too, that not all of my shots are flat and actually
from time to time my topspins shots get better , so I don't
know if 18X20 is that good,I mean what if I want to hit
a topspin shot or an angle shot, Is it possible without any special effort ?

Robert Jones
04-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Ronin, Don't think that you can't have good spin with a dense string pattern. I have better spin with a 95 inch dense pattern vs my Diablo 100sqin with 16x18 pattern. It may be a general rule but it does not mean you can't hit top spin with them.

Coda
04-24-2004, 02:37 PM
it's all about the player...aggasi has nice spin on his groundies and phillipousis has some nice action on his serve...both with dense string patterns

ronin
04-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Guys !
Is there any wilson pro stick or Babolat that can suit me ?