PDA

View Full Version : Sam Groth -- Real Deal with 150 + mph serves? Another Raonic ?

Fedace
03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
OK, we may have another Huge bombing ATP newcomer. Sam Groth hasn't made a breakthru just yet like Raonic has. but as i see it, it is only matter of time for this guy.
Only Wildcard is that he is a Headcase, kind of like JP Mcenroe and Goran Ivanisevic combined --- Dangerous combination. but if this guy can keep his head together, he can go Far, like top 20 for sure and maybe top 10.

Playing against Sweeting in the qualies tomorrow in BNP paribas.

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/Schedules/OOP.aspx

You can see a sample of him on www.frontrowtennis.com

I know it was a challenger event and he lost early but he lost because he lost his head again. :)

cmb
03-07-2011, 07:29 PM
sorry mate, I can't back u up on this one. i would say 100 maximum for this kid. Love him though, he was commentating during the first set of Harrison against Kuznetsov I think, cool guy...wish him all the best

forthegame
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
All right arm and not much else IMHO.

accidental
03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Dont think so. He really has nothing but a serve. He could be the next Chris Guccione if he's lucky.

His wife is doing far better than he could ever hope to at this point

Datacipher
03-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Dont think so. He really has nothing but a serve. He could be the next Chris Guccione if he's lucky.

His wife is doing far better than he could ever hope to at this point

Saw video of him playing Guccione once...talk about battle of unknown servers! But yes...so far they are no Wayne Arthurs ;-)

equinox
03-07-2011, 11:10 PM
big serve, slightly better than average baseline game. movement slower than average.

nice guy, unlike brydan klein. sam actually showed respect to flipper when he attempted another oz WC playoff comeback years ago.

he's improved training in turkey under hopper academy.

wonder how much access he has to sports psychologist. benefits of ais..

i believe he can push inside top 150. i mean if smoking joe sirriani can show career best form in old age, sam can do equally better.

love your enthusiasm fedace, i'd be happy to see sam break top 100 and not have to play slam qualifiers.

expecting more is unrealistic. lol@top20..

Bartelby
03-07-2011, 11:50 PM
My stamps used to say Cocos and Keeling Islands, so what happened?

Raindogs
03-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Yet another 5.0 with a professional serve. Schnooooooooooze-fest.

dominikk1985
03-08-2011, 02:39 AM
I think he can become top100 but not more. that guy is not exactly young either. He is 23, at that age a player is usually close to his peak.

equinox
03-08-2011, 08:07 AM
My stamps used to say Cocos and Keeling Islands, so what happened?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_stamps_and_postal_history_of_the_Cocos_(Ke eling)_Islands

Bud
03-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Sweeting d. Groth 6-3, 6-1

Smitty7712
03-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Happy to see a thread about this guy! :)

Sam is a really fun player to watch, and while I would love to see him climb to the top, I don't see it happening. His Serve is HUGE, but his backhand and temper are huge glaring weaknesses. While it has improved, his backhand is weak and is attacked every time he plays.

His wife is a great player. Hot too! :)

Fedace
03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Happy to see a thread about this guy! :)

Sam is a really fun player to watch, and while I would love to see him climb to the top, I don't see it happening. His Serve is HUGE, but his backhand and temper are huge glaring weaknesses. While it has improved, his backhand is weak and is attacked every time he plays.

His wife is a great player. Hot too! :)

Hey, Federer's backhand used to suck too but look what he has done to it now.......:)

Djokovicfan4life
03-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Hey, Federer's backhand used to suck too but look what he has done to it now.......:)

This won't be well received. In my observations Federer's backhand was way better in the earlier days.

Manus Domini
03-08-2011, 04:30 PM

I think you mistakenly mixed up some things.

Lemme rephrase for you: "Federer's backhand used to be amazing but now it is but a shadow of its former glory"

AM95
03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
the guy is 23. he's been on tour for a GOOD amount of time. i doubt he will get into the top 10 which Raonic is on par to reach by the end of this year. serving 150 bombs is nothing special. you have to do it consistently. Raonic can, i doubt that Groth can because if he could, his highest ranking wouldnt be 230 in the world.

that being said anything can happen.

Fedace
03-08-2011, 06:07 PM
His serve is so big, pros aren't even moving or flinching as the ball goes by... i never seen that before.

GhostDog
03-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Never seen him play. I just know he's Mr. Jarmila Groth. Might not even be the best tennis player in the family.:)

PONG
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I saw him play in person in Delray Beach.

One of the best serves on tour but he has little to back it up. Top 50 player MAX.