PDA

View Full Version : SW FH = E 1hBH? Same face?

Potito
06-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Hi guys! This is my first post, great forum!!! I hope that you’ll excuse my poor english... :( I have a SW forehand and an Eastern 1hBH. It seems to be identical grip! Could I try to hit the ball with the same face of the racquet, keeping an unchanged grip? I think that in this way i can improve particularly my return. So far I’ve changed every stroke my grip, and I’ve especially been great problems on topspin backand return. Therefore times of reaction can be improve with a use of same grip, for example “symmetric” SW FH / E BH?
Thx!

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-19-2005, 02:24 AM
I don't use a SW grip myself, but I believe your right in that it is the same as the eastern BH grip and you use the same side/face.

Personally, that wouldn't help me in terms of reaction times. Because, for me to hit a topspin BH return [I use eastern grip], I need to turn my torso. If I have the time to turn my torso then I have enough time to switch to a full eastern grip.

But if it works for you then use it.

and welcome to the board. not sure if i can say that yet, still a bit new myself.

paulfreda
06-19-2005, 05:03 AM
No this is NOT correct.
A Full Western FH grip will be an Eastern BH grip and hit with the same face.
The index finger base knuckle will be on the bottom (FH) and then top (BH) of the handle.

A SWFH grip will be a SWBH grip and you hit with the same face.
This is the way I play. On the BH side I fan it open as if you are facing the net and have not closed up your stance the face is very very closed. So I pre open it ala Guga and Lisa Raymond. Richard Gasquet also does this too on the BH side.

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-19-2005, 05:29 AM
hmmm. paulfreda is correct. I must have been high when I wrote that. sorry.

Rickson
06-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Sorry, you're both wrong. I use a semi western forehand and an eastern backhand, and I'll be damned if I don't use the opposite sides of the face. The western forehand grip is the same as the western backhand grip and can be used to hit with the same side.

Grimjack
06-19-2005, 07:05 AM
There is a continental BH grip. Where, assuming the racquet is floating in front of you, ready to be grabbed, and you're looking at the butt end of the racquet like a clock face, your index-finger base-knuckle goes on the 1:30 bevel. This is exactly the same grip as the Hawaiian forehand, turned upside down, and you can use the same face with no change in grip. Just about nobody hits with this forehand.

There is an eastern BH. Here, that base-knuckle is on the ridge (or if you prefer, "wrapped around" the ridge) between the 12:00 and 1:30 bevels. This is the same grip as an "extreme western" FH, upside down. Just about nobody hits with this, either.

There is a "full eastern" BH. Here, the base knuckle is dead on top of the 12:00 bevel. This is the same as a full western FH, upside down. Lots of players use both of these, and thus, the same side of the face. It's highly convenient.

There is an "extreme eastern" or "western" BH. Here, depending on who you talk to, the base knuckle is either on ("wrapped around") the ridge between the 10:30 and 12:00 bevels, or right-smack-on the 10:30 bevel. The wrapped-around version is the same as an "extreme SW" or "mild W" forehand, hit upside down, and the same face is okay for this. The full, knuckle flat on the 10:30 version, is the same as a SW forehand, hit upside down. Even though you could use this one grip, and hit all your groundies with the same racquet face, you'll almost never see it. Since that BH is only for the most extreme topspinny, claycourt fanatics, and that forehand is a good, solid, do-everything FH designed to be versatile in a number of occasions.

(Some sources will call the "Extreme Eastern" BH the one where the knuckle goes on the ridge, and the "Western" the one where it sits flush on the 10:30. This is just a nomenclature issue, and isn't worth worrying about.)

Potito
06-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks for suggestions! I believe that Grimjack does an exhausting subdivision of various grip. Yesterday I've tried to use same grip hitting with the same face. I notice that Eastern BH don't coincides exactly with my SW FH. It was more a western grip! I wanted also to try this, so hitting with same face/grip helps me to keep and learn it. :)
According to the indications of Grimjack, maybe my BH grip is between full eastern and extreme eastern, and in consequence FH grip that i've tried was between a full western and extreme SW.

panatta
06-20-2005, 01:36 AM
Why don't you try a two handed backhand? :--) Ciao!

Potito
06-20-2005, 01:51 AM
Mai e poi mai!

;)

Ciao!

Indiantwist
06-20-2005, 05:04 AM
what does "mai e poi mai" mean?. which language ?

Potito
06-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Is Italian... it means “I will never agree, never!”. panatta knows that I like too much a single handed backhand... And so, I don’t want to switch to 2H BH! :D

panatta
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh .. you will. When Nadal will win Wimbledon this year, you will.. Sure you will.. :--)

TwistServe
06-20-2005, 01:28 PM
The western forehand grip is similar to an extreme eastern backhand grip in that the knuckles are placed in the same location, however the tilt of the racquet is different so you will still have to adjust your grip accordingly.

Return_Ace
06-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Oh .. you will. When Nadal will win Wimbledon this year, you will.. Sure you will.. :--)

I think you mean when SAFIN wins Wimbledon....................Now this is my problem..........Seen Federer's/Puerta's/JHH's/Gasquet's BHs and seen the benefits of them..........then I see Safin's/Nadal's/Coria's BHs and see the greatness of those, I'm still 15 and have time to change, and I strike a 2hander nicely and can get a rally with a 1hander as in, its pretty consistent, so what should i do? try and develop the One-Hander more or stick with the two hander? Any help appreciated :)