PDA

View Full Version : Schalken Backhand & loosen grip

Potito
06-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Few days ago Iíve seen a match of Sjeng Schalken. This player seems use a particular takeback during his one handed backhandípreparation. The angle of racquet-forearm seems over 90 degrees when he takes the racquet back, and his hitting arm appear straight and almost stiff. Iíve tried to do this in the same manner, pointing the butt cap towards the ball, leading the racquet back only with left arm. In preparation now I create an over 90 degrees angle between handle and forearm. The first sensation has been of loading a whip. Iíve realized also that at the impact the wrist is more firm, the angle racquet-forearm was perfectly 90 degrees! It works! :D
Just a only thing: when I take back the racquet with left hand, I almost let go the grip with my right hand.... itís loosen. If I hold usual grip I canít create an angle of more 90 degrees! I start doing usual grip (narrow) again only before the swing! Can anyone explain to me if and where I make a mistake?
Thx!

Rickson
06-19-2005, 08:25 AM
The whole motion sounds like a mistake to me. You shouldn't be hitting a straight armed one hander as if you were Bruce Lee, throwing a backfist. A one handed backhand is not a straight armed kung fu backfist!

panatta
06-19-2005, 02:25 PM
I've already seen that preparation in other professional players. I don't think it is uncorrect. I remember the argentinian Jaite playing his backhand in that way..

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Rickson, I don't know what you're talking about. Every pro straightens their hitting arm by contact, if not sooner, on the one-hander. This happens each and every time, unless the player is jammed, and in which case, they hit a weak shot back because they couldn't straighten the arm.

Bungalo Bill
06-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Rickson, I don't know what you're talking about. Every pro straightens their hitting arm by contact, if not sooner, on the one-hander. This happens each and every time, unless the player is jammed, and in which case, they hit a weak shot back because they couldn't straighten the arm.

It is true that many professional onehanders make contact with the ball when their arm is straight. How it gets there is another matter. Some straighten it right before contact and others during the backswing.

Some players however have a slight bend in their arms. Not much though.

Potito
06-20-2005, 02:49 AM
My arm become totally straight not much before the contact. I notice only that keep an angle of approximately 75/80 degrees in takeback helps me to preserve the wrist firm at impact, and in this moment a perfect angle of 90 degrees. Also I've notice that in takeback my grip with dominant hand is loosen. Is it wrong? Someone use it?

Bungalo Bill
06-20-2005, 08:10 AM
My arm become totally straight not much before the contact. I notice only that keep an angle of approximately 75/80 degrees in takeback helps me to preserve the wrist firm at impact, and in this moment a perfect angle of 90 degrees. Also I've notice that in takeback my grip with dominant hand is loosen. Is it wrong? Someone use it?

Players have different preferences on the takeaback. A loooser wrist is not a bad thing so long as you can maintain control of the racquet head throughout the backswing and forward swing. If you can then the degree of looseness in your arm does not sound like it would hurt your swing.

Rickson
06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Definitely not every pro staightens his or her arm at contact and don't you use a double hander?

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I've actually reverted back to my one-hander from my two-hander. That's irrelevant. The point is, that every pro with a one-handed backhand, by contact, has a straight hitting arm. There's no room for argument here. The only one-handed backhands that are hit with a bent arm are, as I said, a result of being jammed and these backhands have no power. Bungalo, you are right. Haas is a classic example of bending the arm on the take back, but, he has his arm straight at contact and through contact. The arm remains straight through contact until the relaxation phase of the follow-through. Rickson, do you have any examples of players who hit one-handed backhands with a bent arm? Do you have any pictures? Any evidence?

TheGreatBernie
06-20-2005, 02:02 PM
I hit a two handed backhand so I wouldn't know, but having your arm straight during 1 handed bh at contact.... does that absolutely kill your elbow?

Bungalo Bill
06-20-2005, 04:35 PM
I've actually reverted back to my one-hander from my two-hander. That's irrelevant. The point is, that every pro with a one-handed backhand, by contact, has a straight hitting arm. There's no room for argument here. The only one-handed backhands that are hit with a bent arm are, as I said, a result of being jammed and these backhands have no power. Bungalo, you are right. Haas is a classic example of bending the arm on the take back, but, he has his arm straight at contact and through contact. The arm remains straight through contact until the relaxation phase of the follow-through. Rickson, do you have any examples of players who hit one-handed backhands with a bent arm? Do you have any pictures? Any evidence?

If you look at footage by Sampras, at times he does make contact with a slightly bent arm. Also, SCUD at times made contact with a slightly bent arm. There are more examples. But it is not something to be alarmed about.

The point is the arm straightens for some players at different times during the swing. For some it has a slight stiffening and others more elasticity.

Rickson
06-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I have enough video of Federer to know he keeps a slight bend in the arm. I never said your arm should be bent to the point of crossing them together. Many people keep a slight bend in the arm and it's good form.

I see a slight bend in Federer's arm which is exactly the way I hit my backhand.

http://img287.echo.cx/img287/5268/fed0mu.jpg

Rickson
06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
I hit a two handed backhand so I wouldn't know, but having your arm straight during 1 handed bh at contact.... does that absolutely kill your elbow?
Not at all, the followthrough is very different from the 2 hander. There's actually more strain on the shoulder than the elbow.