PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Twisted Razor

drummerdan
03-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I recently rec'd a test string from Genesis, which was then called the Tri Blade. It has been re-named to Twisted Razor recently. I playtested this string over a 1 week period (5 times out) and it's a fantastic string. This string has it all, imho. Spin out the wazoo, control and plenty of power makes this one of my highest ranked strings I've ever tested. I wrote about it in my blog but I didn't want to post a shameless link to it.

Here's a pic of one of the balls after 3 sets:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/dkgaskell/a4dc4b8e.jpg

Pretty amazing as I have never seen anything like it.

I originally strung it at 55 lbs in my Volkl PB 10 Mid and hated it the first time out. On the second hit, I fell in love. It had softened up after the tension fell to around 50 lbs. It has held at a tension loss around 17% and it feels gooooood! :)

My regular opponent said that my spin and power has increased lately and he was wondering why. He didn't even know that I was testing a new string. That says a lot, I think.

I'll be changing my signature as soon as this string becomes available. :cool:

Jeepers
03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
The tennis ball......wow!

coolblue123
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
seems like the link to the ball pic is dead. Do you have a URL? Also, where do people buy this string?

CDestroyer
03-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I would never use Genesis strings. They give strings to people to give positive reviews about them. In reality they are cheap quality and overpriced.

Pwned
03-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I would never use Genesis strings. They give strings to people to give positive reviews about them. In reality they are cheap quality and overpriced.

You're an idiot.

drummerdan
03-08-2011, 06:12 PM
seems like the link to the ball pic is dead. Do you have a URL? Also, where do people buy this string?

Weird. Here it is again.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/dkgaskell/949bc1cd.jpg

drummerdan
03-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Genesis said the public release date is March 14.

Fedace
03-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I recently rec'd a test string from Genesis, which was then called the Tri Blade. It has been re-named to Twisted Razor recently. I playtested this string over a 1 week period (5 times out) and it's a fantastic string. This string has it all, imho. Spin out the wazoo, control and plenty of power makes this one of my highest ranked strings I've ever tested. I wrote about it in my blog but I didn't want to post a shameless link to it.

Here's a pic of one of the balls after 3 sets:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/dkgaskell/a4dc4b8e.jpg

Pretty amazing as I have never seen anything like it.

I originally strung it at 55 lbs in my Volkl PB 10 Mid and hated it the first time out. On the second hit, I fell in love. It had softened up after the tension fell to around 50 lbs. It has held at a tension loss around 17% and it feels gooooood! :)

My regular opponent said that my spin and power has increased lately and he was wondering why. He didn't even know that I was testing a new string. That says a lot, I think.

I'll be changing my signature as soon as this string becomes available. :cool:

All triblade or Hybrid job. I got a FREE sample yesterday from Genesis and i was contemplating just throwing it out or trying it. Is it really that good ? How come i never heard of this string ?:confused:

T1000
03-08-2011, 06:20 PM
n reality they are cheap quality and overpriced.

Both of those statements are completely false. What string company do you work for, mad that Genesis is better than whatever crap you put out?

Fedace
03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Both of those statements are completely false. What string company do you work for, mad that Genesis is better than whatever crap you put out?

I did try the Genesis natural gut and it was 1st class material. very close to Babolat team gut with slightly more stiff feel. I think durability isn't as good as Babolat gut but playability is very close.

Larrysümmers
03-08-2011, 06:25 PM
that ball...wow

BigT
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
the pic of the ball is very believable.:???:

Fedace
03-08-2011, 06:30 PM
does this come in 17 G or 18 G ?

J_aces
03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
All triblade or Hybrid job. I got a FREE sample yesterday from Genesis and i was contemplating just throwing it out or trying it. Is it really that good ? How come i never heard of this string ?:confused:

Definitely try it. Should be close to RPM and maybe even better spin. Cant wait to get around to stringing it

J_aces
03-08-2011, 06:37 PM
When did this get renamed? i prefer triblade

schenkelini
03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I like it too. It is a little rough on the elbow though. I think that a thinner gage might help the elbow a bit.

Larrysümmers
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
^ did it tear up the tennis ball for you too?

Fedace
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM

OK, i didn't mean that. I am supposed to play test this thing and post a review of it. I will do just that within next 2 weeks.

Fedace
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
^ did it tear up the tennis ball for you too?

It really isn't that big of deal ,,tearing up the tennis ball. I can do the same thing with Luxilon alu power rough.

Jonny S&V
03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I am of the opposite opinion unfortunately. I got the sample and strung it up the next day. As far as stringing goes, only Lux is worse. Seriously, sheer pain the butt to string.

I played with it for 5.5 hours before it broke. The first hour was horrible, I couldn't get any rhythm going on anything. When it softened up, it got better, but the spin production wasn't enough to make up for the lack of touch. That went on for 4 hours, and then for the last .5 hour, it softened up enough that the feel was decent enough, but then it lost its spin.

If there ever could've been a point where the two got together and were in harmony, this would be my dream string. However, that never happened... :neutral:

Fedace
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I am of the opposite opinion unfortunately. I got the sample and strung it up the next day. As far as stringing goes, only Lux is worse. Seriously, sheer pain the butt to string.

I played with it for 5.5 hours before it broke. The first hour was horrible, I couldn't get any rhythm going on anything. When it softened up, it got better, but the spin production wasn't enough to make up for the lack of touch. That went on for 4 hours, and then for the last .5 hour, it softened up enough that the feel was decent enough, but then it lost its spin.

If there ever could've been a point where the two got together and were in harmony, this would be my dream string. However, that never happened... :neutral:

What if you string it up very Loose to begin with ? Like 45-50 lbs ?

Jonny S&V
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
What if you string it up very Loose to begin with ? Like 45-50 lbs ?

I already dropped the tension 3 lbs, my norm for textured polys. If it can't give me the combination that Blue Gear gave me, then it's probably not worth using (for me).

drummerdan
03-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I like it too. It is a little rough on the elbow though. I think that a thinner gage might help the elbow a bit.

Yeah. I thought it was a little harsh and like I said, the first time out, I thought about cutting it out. The string became much more arm friendly as the tension went down. I am going to start out next time at 50 lbs and work down. The spin and control is so good where it is now (I measured it at around 47 lbs yesterday) that I think it'll be a great low tension string.

J_aces
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I already dropped the tension 3 lbs, my norm for textured polys. If it can't give me the combination that Blue Gear gave me, then it's probably not worth using (for me).

You should find the tension loss between stringing and the time you like it and string that much lower

Jonny S&V
03-08-2011, 07:48 PM
You should find the tension loss between stringing and the time you like it and string that much lower

Eh, I guess I'm just tired of testing strings out and am very satisfied with my set-up right now, haha...

coolblue123
03-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Weird. Here it is again.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/dkgaskell/949bc1cd.jpg

wow. The ball must of really ****ed you off. It got the Agassi bald head treatment.

Is it co-poly, or is it a full poly? Does it come in 18g? How much per set? Have you played with WC Silverstring? If so, how does it compare in terms of comfort/feel/power?

I had experience with poly before and just afraid it's going to break my arm. The only string I had alittle bit of success with is Silverstring at 17g.

Jeepers
03-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Looking at the ball...why has it only lost its fuzz on the top? : / the left hand side looks fine...

drummerdan
03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Looking at the ball...why has it only lost its fuzz on the top? : / the left hand side looks fine...

Yeah. It wasn't that way all over the ball but it was on significant sections.

J_aces
03-09-2011, 11:33 AM
wow. The ball must of really ****ed you off. It got the Agassi bald head treatment.

Is it co-poly, or is it a full poly? Does it come in 18g? How much per set? Have you played with WC Silverstring? If so, how does it compare in terms of comfort/feel/power?

I had experience with poly before and just afraid it's going to break my arm. The only string I had alittle bit of success with is Silverstring at 17g.

Doesn't come in 18 only 16l as of now and doubt it has good feel

drummerdan
03-09-2011, 01:22 PM

I don't know what gauges are going to be available. I only know that my test string was a 16L (1.27mm).

I have no idea how much it'll be. If it's too much ($11+ or so), it'll be tough to justify. However, it's a nice string even at a little higher price. It just may not be affordable to my customers. I find that no one wants to pay much above $25 for a stringjob.

Silverstring is a nice string too but I prefer this one. The Silverstring is more comfortable, less powerful and a little less feel. The spin sets the Twisted Razor apart.

Twisted Razor is a little harsh on the arm but at lower tensions, it's money.

DAS2011
03-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah. It wasn't that way all over the ball but it was on significant sections.

What type of ball was that?

DrewRafter8
03-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Have you used Typhoon? How does it compare?

*breaksracquet
03-10-2011, 04:33 AM
just looking at the ball makes my elbow hurt. Drummer or anyone else, is this stuff rediculously stiff or what?

Edit: nevermind, you answered it a few posts above.... READ!!!

drummerdan
03-10-2011, 05:46 AM
What type of ball was that?

Wilson Heavy Duty Championship

drummerdan
03-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Have you used Typhoon? How does it compare?

Yes. Typhoon is softer but I don't remember Typhoon having this amount of spin. Still, Typhoon is a good string.

J_aces
03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Holy cow this was a real b!tch to string. My fingers are now killing me, mainly from the very last cross which simply would not go through. Made RPM feel like butter. Will be playing with it soon, Hope its worth what it took out of my hand

408tennisguy
03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Genesis said the public release date is March 14.

Anyone know if this is true? been waiting for this string and haven't been able to find it on the depot or the express.

408tennisguy
03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Just called them and they said it will be released within the week. They don't have a label for the reels yet so they aren't ready for purchase

DrewRafter8
03-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Individual packs are available right now. No reels though...

J_aces
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Individual packs are available right now. No reels though...

Where are they available?

DrewRafter8
03-14-2011, 06:30 PM
@ the depot

wrxtotoro
03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
How is the tension maintenance so far?

EdVin70
03-16-2011, 07:35 AM
How is the tension maintenance so far?

I got a set on the way, anyone else have a report?

J_aces
03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
This string has good spin, decent power, good tension maintenance and mediocre feel. It was cold the times I have played with it and will find out more this weekend when its supposed to be warmer

dgoran
03-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Tested it out last night in a league match and I strung it at my usual typhoon tension which proved to be too much for me.

Guys... definitely take advice of the above testers/posters and string this puppy @ 50 or below UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE MR P Kuchna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES_QA-VG-Ec) or James Blake.

This is first string that I actually consider stringing at @45. I regret not trying it at lower tensions.

String definitely has spin no question but its very stiff for me when strung at 55. RSI rated Typhoon (my current string of choice) at 237 units and definitely that is pushing my upper limit on stiffness that my arm can take.

Maybe ATP professionals ala James Blake that usually string ALu super tight:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2d95zsn.jpg
can take this string but not amateur like myself.

For me stringing was not as tough as stringing typhoon or Alu Rough.

All that being said performance is there no question Serves were popping spin was jumping off the court. Control was there so for someone little tougher that me this could be a great string but for me I will stay with typhoon.

As a reference 2nd set I played with typhoon and it felt like Nat gut in comparison that lead me to believe that if typhoon's stiffness is in 237 this string bust be in 250's

EdVin70
03-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Tested it out last night in a league match and I strung it at my usual typhoon tension which proved to be too much for me.

Guys... definitely take advice of the above testers/posters and string this puppy @ 50 or below UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE MR P Kuchna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES_QA-VG-Ec) or James Blake.

This is first string that I actually consider stringing at @45. I regret not trying it at lower tensions.

String definitely has spin no question but its very stiff for me when strung at 55. RSI rated Typhoon (my current string of choice) at 237 units and definitely that is pushing my upper limit on stiffness that my arm can take.

Maybe ATP professionals ala James Blake that usually string ALu super tight:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2d95zsn.jpg
can take this string but not amateur like myself.

For me stringing was not as tough as stringing typhoon or Alu Rough.

All that being said performance is there no question Serves were popping spin was jumping off the court. Control was there so for someone little tougher that me this could be a great string but for me I will stay with typhoon.

As a reference 2nd set I played with typhoon and it felt like Nat gut in comparison that lead me to believe that if typhoon's stiffness is in 237 this string bust be in 250's

Good to know - I string my racquets at really low tension so hopefully it will not give me any arm problems.

J_aces
03-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Played again with it today. Great string. Would love to try it in a hybrid for it to be a little softer and better feel but it's not harsh. Much softer than lux

drummerdan
03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Agree with the above assessment. I just rec'd a supply of this string and it'll be going into my racquet at 49 lbs. That may even be a touch too high. This strings kicks butt at lower tensions but don't even think about going high tension or your arm will hate you.

J_aces
03-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Agree with the above assessment. I just rec'd a supply of this string and it'll be going into my racquet at 49 lbs. That may even be a touch too high. This strings kicks butt at lower tensions but don't even think about going high tension or your arm will hate you.

I'm doing ok at 54 but I'm working my way down to lower tensions. Is it really powerful at your tension?

drummerdan
03-19-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm doing ok at 54 but I'm working my way down to lower tensions. Is it really powerful at your tension?

It has good power but I haven't lost control. Over time, it has worked its way down in the low to mid 40's and it's still excellent. 55 was just too stiff but I love it in the 40's.

J_aces
03-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Power spin and control are amazing. Felt stiff playing in the cold but not when it's warm

drummerdan
03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Power spin and control are amazing. Felt stiff playing in the cold but not when it's warm

Are you getting good/better results as the tension gets lower? That's my experience. Yesterday was the first day that I felt like they went dead. This is after about 20 hrs. Remarkable, actually.

Fedace
03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
I am going to demo this string next week,,,i am gonna be Really MAD if it is worse than RPM blast...

J_aces
03-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Are you getting good/better results as the tension gets lower? That's my experience. Yesterday was the first day that I felt like they went dead. This is after about 20 hrs. Remarkable, actually.

yes, only played 5 hrs so far and it is getting better. Next time Ill go with 50 lbs. Should be great

J_aces
03-20-2011, 06:57 PM
How does typhoon's power level compare? Im stringing that next

Consolation
03-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the same material as in Typhoon, just a different shape.

Plays essentially identical to Typhoon. Very good spin, above average power for a poly, pretty soft.

Tension maintenance is similar also, meaning very good.

Stringing is a pain though. Like Typhoon it likes to straighten out into a tunnel shape. Even moreso than Typhoon it likes to twist longitudinally. Crosses are a pain, have to manually keep the string from twisting on itself (not coiling, the long lengths twisting together).

I think it's basically a black Typhoon that's a little more time consuming to string.

jgtthd
03-21-2011, 02:15 AM
where can you buy these strings in europe??

rodrigoamaral
03-21-2011, 06:49 PM
hope to try these strings out sometime next week and will post a review in my thread shortly thereafter..

jgtthd
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
where can you buy these strings in europe??

never mind found them, ordered a set a looking forward to posting about them

Rorsach
03-22-2011, 12:34 AM
never mind found them, ordered a set a looking forward to posting about them

Where did you order them?

jgtthd
03-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Where did you order them?

http://www.thetennisdepot.com/genesis-twisted-razor-16l-1-27.html

they ship to UK and rest of the world. :)

tjwalker097
04-05-2011, 06:43 AM
I just tried those strings. I've got a fee set from the player from Davis cup team. They are getting it for free. Good deal! Because of triangle shape, slippage of the strings noticeably more, which translate into extra spin. Solid strings. Feels (to me) like a Lux, but softer.

/////AMG
04-05-2011, 08:21 AM
I do like TR....but what do you guys think it compares to BG or BGU in terms of spin? Haven't tried BG since 3 years ago so it's hard to compare. I do remember BG was alittle more on the stiff side.