PDA

View Full Version : Stringing WAY too often?

TenFanLA
03-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I have 3 Head rackets strung with Big Hitter Blue Rough. I absolutely LOVE these strings. Soft, powerful, great tension maintenance, low cost, great control and feel, and best of all for me...WICKED spin. I use a ton of spin on my 2nd kick serve and FH (usually to opponent's backhand or extreme crosscourt angle).

After 2 hours BHBR plays fine as far as control and tension maintenance, but the spin goes down from INSANE to good. Even though I'm sure I can play 4-6 hours no problem with the same string, I have been switching to a different racket with a fresh stringjob. I know I'm no Rafa or even a D1 player. I'm 4.5-5.0. When I play a match which is 2x a week since I'm in a league now, I feel more confident and more in control of the point when I have the fresh, maximum spin strings. Cost is not an issue since BHBR is very cheap. Going and back forth to the stringer will not be an issue either since I just ordered a Klippermate.

My question is...am I just being a tennis nerd wannabe who overthinks and overstrings, thereby shortening the lifespan of my rackets OR am I justified in using a fresh set of strings for each match? (I don't need new strings if I'm just rallying or playing just for fun.) I'd appreciate insightful, constructive input esp. if you string your own rackets and you use full Poly.

aimr75
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I big factor as you know is confidence in matches, and if you feel a fresh string job gives you that bit of extra confidence in your matches, then go for it.. especially if you can afford it

TenFanLA
03-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I big factor as you know is confidence in matches, and if you feel a fresh string job gives you that bit of extra confidence in your matches, then go for it.. especially if you can afford it

That's a very good point. Someone who is very confident will almost always beat someone who is not confident even if their game is at the same level.

DAS2011
03-08-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't see a problem with it if you can afford it. A big part of the game is confidence in your gear, and for you, the cost is a fresh set of strings. Keep doing what you are comfortable with.

P.S. Buy a reel.

TenFanLA
03-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't see a problem with it if you can afford it. A big part of the game is confidence in your gear, and for you, the cost is a fresh set of strings. Keep doing what you are comfortable with.

P.S. Buy a reel.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. I did get the buy 1, get 1 free BHBR reel . Awesome deal!

pheonix6579
03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Where/how did you find the BOGO deal on this string?

TenFanLA
03-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Where/how did you find the BOGO deal on this string?

I called Unique Sports and asked for BOGO reel, and the lady told me BOGO was only for string sets, not reels. But she said she would send me a couple of free sets. When I received my package I noticed I was charged extra for shipping but that was because they sent me an extra reel! I gladly paid for the extra shipping charge.

schwuller
03-08-2011, 04:43 PM
see my thoughts on this topic:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=371528

TenFanLA
03-09-2011, 09:42 AM
see my thoughts on this topic:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=371528

I've had similar experiences with RPM. Plays awesome first 2 hours, then bye bye performance.

brownbearfalling
03-09-2011, 09:55 AM
If you can afford the cost and also have the time to do the stringing yourself, there is no reason not to have fresh strings for every match you play. Except it is a crime to restring your racquet and not keep your grip in good shape. So it might give you a little extra confidence to put on fresh grips if you are using over grips.

brownbearfalling
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Also, how many sets of bhbr did you buy?

Lsmkenpo
03-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Poly not only loses tension but also loses resiliency which is what really gives it that extra spin.

After 2 hours of hard hitting the resiliency will start to fade, and it will not snap back like new.

If it effects your game, I would definitely restring, why put all that time and effort into playing your best tennis to save a few bucks on something that has a big impact upon play.

I would never think of playing a match without fresh strings, If I couldn't afford it i would cut out some other tennis expenses that don't effect play before skimping on strings.

TenFanLA
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
So it might give you a little extra confidence to put on fresh grips if you are using over grips.

Agreed about the grip.

Also, how many sets of bhbr did you buy?

I have 3 reels of BHBR. 2 from Unique Sports (BOGO) and 1 from TW (overnighted cuz I couldn't wait a week for shipping from Unique).

TenFanLA
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Poly not only loses tension but also loses resiliency which is what really gives it that extra spin.

After 2 hours of hard hitting the resiliency will start to fade, and it will not snap back like new.

If it effects your game, I would definitely restring, why put all that time and effort into playing your best tennis to save a few bucks on something that has a big impact upon play.

Yeah, I don't know if it is the resiliency fading, the grooves getting worn or combination of both, but I can definitely tell the reduction in spin after 2 hours.

Lsmkenpo
03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
It is the alu fibers breaking down, when the poly is deflected in the stringbed the alu fibers limit the stretch of the string and during this stretch some snap, when they snap they let the string release its stored energy back very fast into the ball to increase spin.

Once some or all the alu fibers have broken down the string doesn't snap back as fast, and it loses some of its magic. IME this is around the 2 hour mark, I experience the samething using Luxilon Alu.

schwuller
03-09-2011, 12:07 PM

I would never think of playing a match without fresh strings, If I couldn't afford it i would cut out some other tennis expenses that don't effect play before skimping on strings.

I used to think this type of statement was similar to saying "you need to change your motor oil every 200 miles." I'm sure many reading this think it's overdoing it. However, after stringing up some RPM at low tension and playing it within an hour of it coming out of my machine...He is talking absolute sense. There is shocking difference in performance when this stuff is fresh out of the machine. The action of the string is perfectly in synch with the ball and the swing and the racket. That does not make any sense unless you have felt it. In the fifth set, that magical synch and the feeling that "i can do whatever I want with this ball, any amount of spin, ball height, arch, slice" is allllll gone. The next day, you feel like you need a tune-up lesson because you must be making a technical error that you were not making the day before. Nope, it's the string gone dead.