PDA

View Full Version : What angle of grip to use for "killer" forehand

Hisoka
06-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Hi,
I read lot of articles, seen pictures and movie strokes but I still cannot tell what grips are using pros to hit big forehand. Im talking here about angle between forearm and racquet, not rotation of racuet in hand (easter, wester, semi western grip).

I took 2 pictures of my hand holding racquet with western-semi western grip (each 60kb).
On both pictures there are lines of hand and racquet and you can tell what angle is between them.
Also on handle you can see yellow color. I taped stickers on grip, photoed and then I painted them yellow in Phostoshop so you can better see diference of way im griping the racuet and at what angle.

Grip1:
http://free-zg.htnet.hr/bojo/grip1.jpg

This is let say firm normal gripping for racuqet. You can barely see the yellow sticker

Grip2:
http://free-zg.htnet.hr/bojo/grip2.jpg

I released hand, with other hand I changed angle of racquet and then gripped hand again firmly. Just to say that it is possible to hit forehand with both ways and both grips are firm and racquet wont slip.

Now tell me please, what grip should I use for hitting big forehand? When I swing I can see the diference and somehow it is easier to swing grip2, but grip1 is maybe somehow more reliable and cleaner??!?!
What pros are using , grip1 or grip2 do you know?

thank you!!!

wtennis206
06-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Send me an email and I can send you a copy of Nick Bolli-whatever Killer Forehand. It gives lots and lots of great info. will@tlgvintageguitars.com

Kana Himezaki
06-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Just so you know, there is no specific grip for a killer forehand. Bollettieri, in his things, says either an Eastern, SW, or Western grip can be used to achieve "killer" status.

And different pros use different grips. There is not just one they tend to lean forward to. Recently, there have been a majority of SW grips in the pros, and it's beginning to move to a lot of Western grips, especially with claycourters.

But just do what's comfortable and suits your game. You can make your forehand a weapon with any grip.

ambro
06-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Yea it really doesn't matter. You can get a lot of topspin with an Eastern, or you can flatten it out a lot with a Western. Grip doesn't matter, it's technique and swing path, along with other factors. Use your regular grip.

Grimjack
06-19-2005, 12:49 PM
It sounds like everybody's answering a question the original poster isn't asking. He doesn't seem to want to know, "what grip should I use?"

He seems to want to know what angle there should be between his forearm and the racquet at the moment of contact.

This, I think, goes back to what the gurus at this site have termed the "educated wrist" phenomenon. You CAN hit a very effective forehand keeping your wrist laid-back and locked throughout the stroke. Many do. But it's probably not the way to generate the most power.

The way to to that seems to be to "release" the wrist right at the moment of contact. Which will mean that angle will go away from the one in PIC#1, and more toward the angle in PIC#2, but the exact angle would be tough to tell. The safest thing is probably to rely on keeping it laid back till the *instant* before contact, then to let it come naturally through. The result will be somewhere past PIC#1, but hard to say exactly where. It's more that you'll know it when you see the results.

Go to google image search, or advantage-tennis, and look at lots and lots of pics of pros hitting FH's. You'll see a lot of little variations in the way their bodies line up at the instant of contact. You can kill the ball with any of them, so long as you got there by unleashing a more-or-less proper kinetic chain.

Hisoka
06-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Yep, im not asking east or west. Im asking angle like grimjack noticed. Grim tnx for answer. Sooo, does anybody else got something to add? 8-)

cervelo
06-19-2005, 09:12 PM
I've been asking this question for a while now and the routine answer I've gotten has been "whatever's most comfortable ..." Not satisfied with this answer, I set out to examine my forehand on video.

For me, the extreme in pic one didn't work. It encouraged whippy arm action and limited extension to the target. Pic two felt sloppy and unmanageable, more like an eastern forehand with a semi-western-ish grip.

I discovered that, with the elbow leading the stroke through the strike zone, the wrist's job is to extend the racquet face to the target. Mine is sort of "cocked back" at the take back, then, during the uncoiling, the wrist extends to keep the racquet face moving toward the target for as long as possible. The by-product of this was a much less "violent" swing with more depth and consistency.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: either grip extreme might not work- when I focused on slowing and extending my swing, and, importantly, utilizing wrist "action" to extend the forehand, the best "grip angle" revealed itself.

dennis10is
06-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Power comes from your large muscle groups, your legs, hips, trunk, shoulders and not your forearm or wrist. This little detail depends on your particular forehand swing but whatever feels comfortable is good enough is correct me thinks.

Is your hitting arm relax and fluid? Are you generating the snap from the hips and letting it ripple and added to as the power flow up from abs, into the shoulder snap and spead out to your arm?

ambro
06-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Oh sorry. I guess I didn't quite understad the question you were asking. As to the question you actually were asking, I have no idea. Listen to Grimjack, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about...

Indiantwist
06-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Inorder to achieve killer status one needs to have a good solid idea of one's forehand's capabilities and limitations. Though in theory one can launch a Winning forehand from any corner at any depth towards any direction, the practicality is every one has only a limited range where they operate best (ie some 1 has a best inside out forehand, some1 can hit great cross courts, some1 great down the lines) and they need to create those situations and put themselves into that position where they can launch that shot.

Thats when this ordinary forehand looks like a weapon. I can have great cross court forehand but if thats all i keep hitting, its only matter of few games when opponents start figuring out and make Offensive/defensive adjustments to their games.

Hisoka
06-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Thank you for your answers