PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you get begaled in the 1st set?

ktncnttl
06-19-2005, 05:56 AM
If you are outclassed what would you do to savage the match? Maybe edge out a game at least to save yourselve from the embarassment of being double bageled?

Rickson
06-19-2005, 06:08 AM
Your poll question is confusing. A bagel game or a bagel set? A bagel game is not that embarrassing, but a bagel set is very much so. I got bageled only once in my life and the 2nd set wasn't much better, taking a 6-2 loss. I knew he wasn't gonna give me a double bagel because I'd have died trying to prevent it and even though I lost badly, I prevented the next bagel at all cost.

ktncnttl
06-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Bagel set of course. So what did you do to prevent the next bagel?

Rickson
06-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Bagel set of course. So what did you do to prevent the next bagel?
I ran down every ball I could and forced a few errors on him. He still overpowered me, but almost every game went down to deuce/ad, of which I was able to take 2 of the games. The 1st set had no deuce games on his serve game, only on mine. To sum it up, just chase down all the balls you let go in the first set and make it hell for him.

wtennis206
06-19-2005, 06:26 AM
I got bageled in the first set of my first ever USTA tourney. I came back and won the next two sets, 6-2, 6-3. I S&V both of the last two sets. Guess it worked.

Grimjack
06-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Try to hit behind the guy and "wrong foot" him as much as possible, hoping to induce a sprained ankle.

goober
06-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Your poll question is confusing. A bagel game or a bagel set? A bagel game is not that embarrassing, but a bagel set is very much so. I got bageled only once in my life and the 2nd set wasn't much better, taking a 6-2 loss. I knew he wasn't gonna give me a double bagel because I'd have died trying to prevent it and even though I lost badly, I prevented the next bagel at all cost.

If you have been only bageled one set in your life, you need to play some better competition.

Generally following a bagel set I change my game style drastically. Either go junkball or come to the net depending one what kind of player the other guy is. I make sure I get my first serves in and play high percentage shots.

Rickson
06-19-2005, 08:18 AM
If you have been only bageled one set in your life, you need to play some better competition.

Generally following a bagel set I change my game style drastically. Either go junkball or come to the net depending one what kind of player the other guy is. I make sure I get my first serves in and play high percentage shots.
I've been on the other side of bagels quite often because even though my buddies and I all started at the same time, they didn't take their tennis and research as seriously as I did. Yes, I'd like to play against better competition, but that doesn't mean I'll be handing out cream cheese anytime soon.

theace21
06-19-2005, 08:31 AM
What ever your game plan was in the first set - Toss it...What happened? Revise your game plan, try to get to a point in the match that maybe you can steal the set (4-4)...If he pounded your weak 2nd serve - get that first serve in and take the pressure off your self. So many item, really need to know what happened in each case...

ZhangM58
06-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Well first of all, a player should always have a game plan A and a game plan B. If your plan A didn't work in the first set, try plan B in the second. If that won't budge, then the player your playing is too good theres nothing you can do about it. Don't be embressed, your opponent went through the same thing. Good luck hope this helped.

SageOfDeath
06-19-2005, 09:07 AM
all your strategies are so different......... play out two strategies of your greatest strength. If you are consistant then you could go defensive but it also depends on how your opponent plays too. I tried to outplay consistancy on this one girl and she just owned me.... If you are up against a serve and volley person I wouldn't stay at the baseline unless you plan pass a lob over them as they reach the net. Switching strategies will throw off your opponent but if none of your plans work don't give up. Maybe you won't win the match but you could win a few games.

Grimjack
06-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Yes, I'd like to play against better competition, but that doesn't mean I'll be handing out cream cheese anytime soon.

I find that, especially if I'm entering the better unsanctioned-type tournaments (where players of all levels enter), it's just a matter of time till I run into somebody who will toss a bagel or two my direction.

I'll fight and scrap and be determined to run down every shot as much as you or the next guy. But when I butt heads with a solid 5.5, or god forbid a 6.0, all the good intentions in the world aren't going to win me a game. (Though, in fairness, a player like that will generally throw you a pity game in the 2nd set, just so you don't toss yourself under a truck.)

Rodzilla
06-19-2005, 11:46 AM
I would find out what I did wrong to get bageled and hopefully fix it or add what it takes to take the guy down, while still imposing my game plan the rest of the match.

Grimjack
06-19-2005, 11:59 AM
I would find out what I did wrong to get bageled and hopefully fix it or add what it takes to take the guy down, while still imposing my game plan the rest of the match.

When pros bagel each other, it's generally because one or the other didn't have his head properly in the match at the time, and it just spiralled out of control. You'll almost never see two bagels in a match, unless one guy/gal is completely out of his league.

And if your head was out of it, or you were hitting *everything* half an inch long, then it might be time to drop back and do a little strategical re-evaluation.

Among amateurs, though, probably 95% of bagel sets happen because you are playing with someone who is completely out of your league. At that point, having Gilbert, Bergelin, Roche, AND Bollettieri in your corner isn't going to make a ton of difference. At that point, relax, enjoy, and try to learn something about your own weaknesses. The best strategy for when you're completely overwhelmed is to find something that you can use in the future.

FREDDY
06-19-2005, 03:59 PM
it depends...

Prince_of_Tennis
06-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Well it would depend if I know they wree so much better than me that I didn't have a chance. I would serve out all my energy to get a point. If they beat me because I was into it and choking. I would gather myself to pull out a win.

fishuuuuu
06-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Something has to be wrong here ... I think people are lying ...

So many threads with people saying that they resort to pushing after being bageled but this thread has 0 votes for that!

Myself i just counter-punch in the first place so if I get bageled I try to vary the punching a bit more ...

TennsDog
06-19-2005, 06:52 PM
It depends on why I lost so bad first set. If I lost because they are truely better than me, I will probably go for broke and hope I make more than half of my shots as winners. If I feel I can still compete, I will try some SV or just coming to net more often. If all else fails, I will pretty much do what I can to continue points (this is only at 0-6, 0-4).

Bungalo Bill
06-19-2005, 07:34 PM
This is a bit confusing since most of the choices seem rather drastic. Getting bageled in the first set could be a sign you are playing someone who is much better or more consistent then you, but so many things can contribute to this lost set as well.

dennis10is
06-19-2005, 08:12 PM
A couple of scenarios and you have to analyze which one is yours.

1: you are mentally out of it so try to shape up. Frankly, if you are choking this badly, the 2nd set will most likely be ugly also. Change either one thing or heck, just change everything and have some fun experimenting, you may be surprise with the result. Perosnally, when I choked I could never recover the next set. Total crash and burn situation for me.

2a: your opponent "ambushed" you, started out of the gates quickly and accelerated. I once lost 1-6 in doubles to a team that was equal to us. It happened so fast that all four of us were incredulous. They cooled off and we toughen up, we didn't change our overall game plan and we won the second set. Good thing all four of us were friends. I still remember that lost.

2b: More likely though you have the wrong game plan go with the second option.

3: you are completly outclassed so take it with grace and don't make a fool of yourself during or after the match. I remember a few times when I was a younger man that my coach would tell me to bagel someone with an attitude problem well it never worked (change his attitude). The person would say some version of "although he lost 0-6, he has had an off day and that the next time we play he thinks he'll probably beat me. Don't be like that. Enjoy the fact that you are playing against a superior opponent and try to learn something. Imagine that maybe if you train hard enough one day you'll improve enough to give a bagel to someone else who will be playing at your current level.

We've all been there :)

kevhen
06-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Figure out why I got bageled. If it was because of my errors, try to play more consistent and force them to beat me rather than beating myself.

If it was because of my opponent having too much offense and controlling the points and winning most of them, then I would go even more offensive my self and test their defensive abilities. I would go for bigger second serves too. I rarely get bageled so it's usually by a 4.5-5.0 type so I will normally get more aggressive so at least I won't be doing so much running and chasing down balls. I think I got bageled once this winter by a rated 4.5 and several times a couple of years ago by a rated 5.0. It doesn't happen often in singles, but I do remember an embarrassing 6-0, 6-1 doubles defeat to two solid 4.0 volleyers last year and it was my partner who held serve in the one game we did win. My parents even came to watch that one and it was over in like 40 minutes or less!

Ninja Monkey
06-21-2005, 03:06 AM
depents on the situation ofcourse. If he win's because he's playing aggresive moonballing. If he wins because he's defending, move to the net as fast as I can.