PDA

View Full Version : Best feel for a Syn. Gut?

bfactor61
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Which syn. gut has the best feel?

COPEY
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Checkout Mikeler's Multis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048). Lot of reading, but very good info.

bfactor61
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
when i mean syn. gut i am not including multis

COPEY
03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Gotcha. Truth be told, there is no "best" anything when it comes to string; it's all about what feels good to you. Lot of people love Gosen OG-Micro, Pro Supex Spiral Flex, and Prince Syn Gut (with & without Duraflex). I personally like Mantis Power Synthetic and Alpha Viper MXT. Won't find much info on the latter on these boards, however.

Having said that, the best thing to do is just buy and try.

Edit: Forgot to add that I also like KLiP's Scorcher.

MagPro
03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
what kind of feel are you looking for?

smucker007
03-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Go thinner if you want more feel. The softer strings usually have better feel..tradeoff is worse durability though. So strings such as Gosen Micro 17 or Prince Syn Gut Original 17 or even the 18g will have more feel. But be warned..they will pop fast!

Keifers
03-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Gosen Micro Super 16L -- a definite step up from regular Micro and better than any other monofilament I've tried.

SteveI
03-10-2011, 06:11 AM
Gosen Micro Super 16L -- a definite step up from regular Micro and better than any other monofilament I've tried.

Hey.. Hey.. Hey..

Can you share more of your insights?? Thanks!!

kiteboard
03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Best feel is crossed with gut.

bfactor61
03-10-2011, 09:38 AM
but if i go thinner i get more power which is what i dont want. and i get less control

mikeler
03-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Out of PSGD, Prince Topspin, Gamma synthetic gut, Gamma synthetic gut w/WearGuard and Gosen OG Sheep Micro I thought regular Gamma synthetic gut had the best feel.

pvaudio
03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
If it's feel you want, GSG 18 or Sheep Micro 18. If you mean how the string FEELS, as in comfort, then that's a different thing altogether.

Keifers
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM

Hey.. Hey.. Hey..

Can you share more of your insights?? Thanks!!
Glad to. According to Gosen, the Super is slightly more powerful, slightly softer-feeling, and has a lot more spin potential than regular Micro. That's what I've found. Super has far less of that plastic-y feeling of syns and begins to approach multis in terms of performance and feel. Imo, well worth the extra dollar. (It's not available in reels.)

COPEY
03-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Glad to. According to Gosen, the Super is slightly more powerful, slightly softer-feeling, and has a lot more spin potential than regular Micro. That's what I've found. Super has far less of that plastic-y feeling of syns and begins to approach multis in terms of performance and feel. Imo, well worth the extra dollar. (It's not available in reels.)

The Super 16 (1.30) is available in reels...but not at TW. Additionally, even with a reel (based on the price from the vendor) you'd be paying about $7 per string job, which isn't bad, but it's a considerable jump from $4.25.

smucker007
03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
but if i go thinner i get more power which is what i dont want. and i get less control

usually thinner you get more power and more control, less durability

SteveI
03-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Thanks so much. Do you have a feeling on how the tension holds up vs the reg OG?

Keifers
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks so much. Do you have a feeling on how the tension holds up vs the reg OG?
Just saw your question (sorry)... Can't give you hard numbers (of hours), but I had full Super 16L in a 1-stripe POG OS for several months (I switched with other racquets) and I was quite happy with Super's tension hold and durability. Here's the best testimony I can offer you: I bought a bunch of sets from TW and it's now one of my go-to strings.