PDA

View Full Version : Head Rip Control Casing breakage

tomp
03-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi,

Just strung a set of Rip Control 17 and whilst tying the knot on the last cross, the casing on the string broke revealing the nylon centre core.

I was much gentler on this last knot compared to the others which did not break. I have known this to happen to head strings before.

Have any of you experienced this and is there any way I can get a refund because it looks likely to break.

Rgds

TheRed
03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
yes, that's one bad thing about rip control. won't hurt to try to get free strings

diredesire
03-10-2011, 11:17 AM
You can try contacting head to get a free set, or if you bought it at TW, you can ask them, but unless it broke at a point that wasn't in contact with your pliers, I'd say this one is on you ;)

There are gentler ways to tie knots (starting clamp! parallel jaw pliers, etc)

tomp
03-10-2011, 11:45 AM
My pliers did not come in contact at any point as I always use a starting clamp for knots. It broke on the knot itself and thats why I am a bit confused how the casing broke as there wasn't any contact from anything else?

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Really? I lived by RIP for years and I've never had breakage problems. Actually I've never had pre-mature breakage with synthetic gut.

Maybe you need to try to finger nail methods and lessen the amount of beating the mains take during weaving? The RIP is textured and it's a borderline poly.

tomp
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Really? I lived by RIP for years and I've never had breakage problems. Actually I've never had pre-mature breakage with synthetic gut.

Maybe you need to try to finger nail methods and lessen the amount of beating the mains take during weaving? The RIP is textured and it's a borderline poly.

It hasn't broken yet, just the outer casing has gone, luckily I did a double half hitch and the case came off to the second part of the knot so it should be OK.

I am quite gentle with strings normally, my theory is that it might have rubbed against another string when tightening. I have also never had pre-mature breakage with any string. Guess I will never know for sure what caused it. Oh well, its only one set.

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
It hasn't broken yet, just the outer casing has gone, luckily I did a double half hitch and the case came off to the second part of the knot so it should be OK.

I am quite gentle with strings normally, my theory is that it might have rubbed against another string when tightening. I have also never had pre-mature breakage with any string. Guess I will never know for sure what caused it. Oh well, its only one set.

Maybe? RIP has always been one of the most durable strings for me in the machine and on the court. I used to string them at 70lbs and none of them snapped on me.

tomp
03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the responses.
It seemed to hold up when playing today, think I will put this one down to experience.

Rgds

diredesire
03-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the responses.
It seemed to hold up when playing today, think I will put this one down to experience.

Rgds

If it broke there, it could very well be a defect. I'd contact the place you bought it from and see how friendly they're feeling. I haven't experienced any breakage like that, and it's not normal. If you get a free set, yippee! If you don't, oh well.
:)

Can't hurt to ask.

tomp
03-12-2011, 10:18 AM
If it broke there, it could very well be a defect. I'd contact the place you bought it from and see how friendly they're feeling. I haven't experienced any breakage like that, and it's not normal. If you get a free set, yippee! If you don't, oh well.
:)

Can't hurt to ask.

True that :) Will pop them a quick email, but they never seem to reply. If not, will phone them up on monday.