PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon tension maintenance documented here - impressive

Power Player
03-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I strung up a full bed of grey typhoon last saturday. This is one of the best polys i have ever hit with. Perfect spin level and it is soft. I used the racquet tune app to measure tension for the fellow TTers.

Off the drop weight - 61#s
In bag until monday - 59#s
After 2 hours of hitting - 55#s
After 2 hour hit Tuesday - 55#s
After 2 hour hit tonight -54#s

This is definitely a winner for me..great stuff..is there any poly out there that compares? The only complaint is that i can not get it in 17.

flashfire276
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I just got a set of Typhoon in a giant string trade!
Do you have any suggestions and comments on this string?

Power Player
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
String it 3-5 pounds tighter than a stiffer poly and enjoy.

pvaudio
03-11-2011, 04:49 AM
Signum Pro, Genesis, WeissC. in that order, IMO, of companies whose strings maintain tension the best. The last two may be tied, but you could probably hang a car with some poly plasma and it'll hold its tension for a week :lol:

dadozen
03-11-2011, 04:55 AM
PV, after using Scorpion 1.22 and Hyperion 1.18 for a while, I can say that for these two particular strings, WC does the job better. I found that Hyperion loses the tension quicker than Scorpion.

Can't say for others like SPPP or Tornado. But I know SPPP is among the best in that department.

bad_call
03-11-2011, 05:35 AM
don't know about tension maintenance but Genesis SpinX lost playability/elasticity so much so that i had to cut them out. strings were only partially notched. tension maintenance is meaningless when playability goes.

bad_call
03-11-2011, 05:52 AM
PP - maybe dgoran doesn't get much playability either.

Hey Coyfish regarding shoulder pain I recently started really paying attention to how old are my poly's in my rackets and "amazing discovery" is that I get pain only if I play with old/dead poly (for me 2-4 hrs unfortunately :( ). I really do not like to string often (its pain in the ***) but it really does matter. So my first thought when you said shoulder pain is dead poly. You might not even notice, like I was not, but if you really pay attention your body will tell you when they are dead. And than you will realize that the same racket is harder to control. Try it...

KLE
03-11-2011, 06:26 AM
I strung up a full bed of grey typhoon last saturday. This is one of the best polys i have ever hit with. Perfect spin level and it is soft. I used the racquet tune app to measure tension for the fellow TTers.

I used the same app but the result varied so much to the point that I don't trust it anymore. May be my method had some flaws. What device did you use to strike the string?

Power Player
03-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Bc, I usually equate a sudden dramatic tension loss in a poly with playability which is why I did this little experiment. After 6 hours of play the string has felt exactly the same since the day I strung it up. No pain at all..its a very comfortable poly for me so far.

KLE..the app is very very good for what it does. It basically showed me that I was making a huge mistake in not making the mains 5 pounds tighter on the final pulls..that was killing my stringing accuracy and giving me super soft string beds that I could not control.

What I do is obviously take out the dampener and tap the strings with a screwdriver handle. I use the same screwdriver everytime and keep everything consistent. It is great for showing tension loss.

bad_call
03-11-2011, 06:54 AM
PP - i follow your thinking but tm & playability not the same. got 10+ hrs on the B5E hybrid and it's still going strong with only slight notching. think it's been in the frame 5+ weeks since before i stopped with calf strain.

pvaudio
03-11-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm telling you, Scorpion and B5E just don't go dead or lose tension haha. I'm using a stick w/ scorpion that was strung WEEKS ago and it still plays fresh.

pvaudio
03-11-2011, 06:58 AM
PV, after using Scorpion 1.22 and Hyperion 1.18 for a while, I can say that for these two particular strings, WC does the job better. I found that Hyperion loses the tension quicker than Scorpion.

Can't say for others like SPPP or Tornado. But I know SPPP is among the best in that department.Tornado never once lost its tension. I didn't particularly like the string, but it still felt as tight as the day I strung it...on the day that I cut it out haha. As I've been saying in my thread, Scorpion's tension maintenance is ridiculous. Still, SPPP is top of the charts for me. I don't even like it but it just cannot go dead for some reason.

Power Player
03-11-2011, 07:01 AM
PP - i follow your thinking but tm & playability not the same. got 10+ hrs on the B5E hybrid and it's still going strong with only slight notching. think it's been in the frame 5+ weeks since before i stopped with calf strain.

The b5e come in 17 or 18 gauge? I do want to try it. I believe I need to contact mr trap?

But I promise for me, the typhoon has not changed in terms of feel or accuracy so far. It is rocking at the 6 hour mark. the tension maintenance is also great as well.

pvaudio
03-11-2011, 07:02 AM
It only comes in 1 gauge and can be bought in the US from Guts and Glory.

KLE
03-11-2011, 07:03 AM
KLE... What I do is obviously take out the dampener and tap the strings with a screwdriver handle. I use the same screwdriver everytime and keep everything consistent. It is great for showing tension loss.

How close did you put the mic to the string bed ? Did you clamp the racquet down on the string machine?

Power Player
03-11-2011, 07:06 AM
How close did you put the mic to the string bed ? Did you clamp the racquet down on the string machine?

Very close..2-3 inches..I have an ipad and use the ipad mic..maybe that helps as well. I do not clamp the racquet. I lay the ipad on my kitchen counter with the mic facing me and hold the racquet in my hand upside down..i then hit the strings from the side closest to me until racquettune registers the tension. I have done this exactly the same for each readout I put in my first post.

bad_call
03-11-2011, 07:09 AM
The b5e come in 17 or 18 gauge? I do want to try it. I believe I need to contact mr trap?

But I promise for me, the typhoon has not changed in terms of feel or accuracy so far. It is rocking at the 6 hour mark. the tension maintenance is also great as well.

as dgoran indicated, playability is noticeable when slamming serves. if you have strings to trade, send me an email for some B5E.

KLE
03-11-2011, 07:24 AM
then hit the strings from the side closest to me until racquettune registers the tension. I have done this exactly the same for each readout I put in my first post.

Thanks for the tip. BTW, r u gonna upgrade to iPad 2 today :)

Power Player
03-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the tip. BTW, r u gonna upgrade to iPad 2 today :)

Sure. So far I have decided against the upgrade..may just wait on version 3.

pvaudio
03-11-2011, 07:38 AM
All I have to say is: classic Apple :)

kslick
03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Bc, I usually equate a sudden dramatic tension loss in a poly with playability which is why I did this little experiment. After 6 hours of play the string has felt exactly the same since the day I strung it up. No pain at all..its a very comfortable poly for me so far.

KLE..the app is very very good for what it does. It basically showed me that I was making a huge mistake in not making the mains 5 pounds tighter on the final pulls..that was killing my stringing accuracy and giving me super soft string beds that I could not control.

What I do is obviously take out the dampener and tap the strings with a screwdriver handle. I use the same screwdriver everytime and keep everything consistent. It is great for showing tension loss.

PP can you explain a little more. Is it that you didn't add the 5 pounds on the last pulls that you lost tension in the stringbed which made your finally tension less than what you had thought (or wanted it to be)? Am I reading that correct?

Power Player
03-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Yes..exactly..because you lose tension when you tie the knot at the end. so by pulling an extra 5 pounds on the last 2, you compensate for it.

I used to string for a long time thinking the tension I set was the exact tension I would get, but that is definitley not the case.

kslick
03-11-2011, 10:27 AM
huh. I usually do that on the last pull on the mains but not the last 2.

Power Player
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes that is what i meant. Last pull on each main.

dgoran
03-11-2011, 03:26 PM
PP - maybe dgoran doesn't get much playability either.

Haha I am getting misquoted here like in a true bad_journalism way :)

I was referring to poly's in general when I was talking to Coyfish, reason being he hits the crap out of the ball with lots of spin similar the way I hit (call us ball bashers if you will :) ) but the point is all polys die (lot of the time w/o realizing hoq quickly if you dont know what to look for) and this is player specific not poly specific (although due to various additives different poly might feel softer than other when dead but it will still be dead and provide unnecessary loss of control and extra effort on serves and groundstrokes causing wild misses and serves that you could have sworn that it will e record breaking Kalovic serve only to catapult weakly off your strings.)

For the record I am fully satisfied with the value Genesis provides with Typhoon.

Just as a reference point I felt that RPM blast lost playability and tension exponentially by the minute I was almost like I did not tie the nots and string bed bas being undone :)

I just strung up Tri-blade or whatever it is called now and I am excited to try it although I am in love with typhoon and it will be a hard marriage to break up :)

dgoran
03-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Off the drop weight - 61#s
In bag until monday - 59#s
After 2 hours of hitting - 55#s
After 2 hour hit Tuesday - 55#s
After 2 hour hit tonight -54#s

This is definitely a winner for me..great stuff..is there any poly out there that compares? The only complaint is that i can not get it in 17.

BTW venerable Greg Raven (http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/) did a typhoon test for RSI and they measured only 8% tension loss. In comparison to:

Solinco Tour Bite's 9%
Unique Big Hitter Blue 17%
UBH 9%

So your findings PP are right on the money

bad_call
03-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Haha I am getting misquoted here like in a true bad_journalism way :)

I was referring to poly's in general when I was talking to Coyfish...

not to be misquoting but to me it reads that you are referring specifically to your racquets in the post. :)

maybe Bob read it the same as me?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5457841&postcount=4961

Power Player
03-11-2011, 07:49 PM
This brings me great pleasure to read because the Typhoon in a midsize stick could be heaven. It also reaffirms that I am not going completely insane..lol.

BobFL
03-11-2011, 08:50 PM
not to be misquoting but to me it reads that you are referring specifically to your racquets in the post. :)

Hahahaha, of course he was talking about the Typhoon :)

dgoran
03-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Haha good_call of course i was talking about my rackets but you guys forget that I have 30 rackets and all but 2 are strung with something other than typhoon for experimental purposes.
Most are strung with poly and none last more than 4 hrs of serving and competitive play which is normal for poly.

Also none provide the playability that typhoon does :)

J_aces
03-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Dgoran. Have you tried the new genesis string or do you plan to since you love typhoon so much?

KLE
03-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Why TW does not carry Genesis Typhoon ???

dgoran
03-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Dgoran. Have you tried the new genesis string or do you plan to since you love typhoon so much?

Hey if you are talking about triblade string I just strung it up but I had to travel this weekend so unless I am lucky to finish work early herein San Diego and I find somebody local to hit with I will try it today.

You are not from San Diego by any chance are you :)

dgoran
03-12-2011, 07:29 AM

From what I understand its political decision...maybe TW can offer their PR spin on the matter.

BobFL
03-12-2011, 07:42 AM

What do you think?

Bartelby
03-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Their strings are probably rebranded strings sold by TW with another name or strings that are lightly modified versions of strings sold by TW under another name. Hence, the strings can't be sold in competition with the other strings.

dgoran
03-12-2011, 07:53 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=289121&highlight=genesis

Despite overwhelming positive response by high profile tt-ers TW choose not to carry Genesis. Hmm

dgoran
03-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Their strings are probably rebranded strings sold by TW with another name or strings that are lightly modified versions of strings sold by TW under another name. Hence, the strings can't be sold in competition with the other strings.
^^^^^^^^
:)

J_aces
03-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Hey if you are talking about triblade string I just strung it up but I had to travel this weekend so unless I am lucky to finish work early herein San Diego and I find somebody local to hit with I will try it today.

You are not from San Diego by any chance are you :)

No unforunately, but that would be cool because I also just strung up triblade. Did you find it to be difficult to string and how did stringing compare to typhoon? Im stringing typhoon next

Bartelby
03-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Genesis is an American company with subsidiaries in Germany specializing in the development, marketing, and production of high-end tennis products.

In other words, it's a German factory that produces stuff for Genesis and probably others.

Buckethead
03-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Correct.
Genesis does not have strings, they buy strings from a manufacturers just like Weiss Cannon, Signum Pro, Mantis, Solinco, Pro Supex...
Also TW may not carry because their dealer wants to you to buy from them, therefore more profit for them, and what is the big deal in buying from them right??
Talking about the Tornado(somebody mentioned), it dies just after 10 hours, however it is a great string.
Typhoon silver and blue are different strings, the silver is stiffer than the blue, I didn't like neither one. Tornado and Heptatwist are better.
Now if you want better strings you gotta go with Tecnifibre or Luxilon.

Buckethead
03-12-2011, 08:13 AM
BTW there is this Alien brand owned by HOla birds that TW will be carrying it, it is another brand that buys from manufacturer as well, probably the same where they all buy.

dgoran
03-12-2011, 08:28 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPg-ChRXybXMbBi3TLVjg3UtAbG_MRutndyr7BsCCi7U9NBkfX

dgoran
03-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Keep in mind tough that dies and additives do matter like Buckethead mentioned.

I for example like stiffer string so I like Typhoon Gray, while others might like softer options.

dgoran
03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
No unforunately, but that would be cool because I also just strung up triblade. Did you find it to be difficult to string and how did stringing compare to typhoon? Im stringing typhoon next

It was more coil memory so it was pain for me to uncoil and cut the string in half in other words preparation was tough while actual weaving and stringing was piece of cake comparing to Typhoon Gray which felt like a needle at the ends. Typhoon was way tougher to string. (Nothing for MRT I am sure but I am speaking from my dropweight experience hahaha)

Only lux rough is tougher string for me to string other typhoon.

rodrigoamaral
03-13-2011, 10:09 AM
My experience was very similar to yours in that the tension maintenance of the Typhoon was superb.. definately above average for a poly..

dcsrour
03-13-2011, 10:16 AM
happy to trade typhoon...have 2 left.
csrourc@aol.com

Power Player
03-13-2011, 10:24 AM
I plan to try the typhoon grey in a prestige mid to see how it reacts. In the pstgt it feels very muted and plush.

If the strings are basically the same, just rebranded, i would have to imagine that genesis is maybe selling at a lower price point ? I am not sure, i just like polys that maintain tension as long as possible. It can be any brand, i just prefer to spend 10 bucks or less because poly is only good for a limited time of play as it is anyway.

acer4tennis
03-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Seems like you know what you are saying. What strings that TW sells same as Genesis ? I'm currently playing with Heptonic.

acer4tennis
03-13-2011, 01:42 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
BTW, it cost under $75 and sells by T express.

mctennis
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
BTW there is this Alien brand owned by HOla birds that TW will be carrying it, it is another brand that buys from manufacturer as well, probably the same where they all buy.

So Alien strings is owned by H'bird?